Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good GOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I bet that cost a little extra and for good reason.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man.
https://twitter.com/TJoyceChin/status/883471363586965504
Consider the Legacy cover efforts to that for a sec.

e: It's a zoom out of this.

It's.. beautiful

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is goddamn amazing.

But that Hulk looks really weird and I can't stop looking at him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

All I've read recently is wasp and I just got marvel unlimited using their code. I let my sub lapse for about a year and a half, just around the end of secret wars.

I tried to read totally awesome hulk, but then I gotnto the civil war 2 issues and thought it was dumb. Event tie ins are dumb. Events are dumb.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It also makes a great phone wallpaper, it's fun to scroll from the Inhumans on one end to Daredevil on the other.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two quick questions

1. Has anyone read or had confirmed that the Hickman Avengers Omnibus is in his preferred order like FF was? Just wanted to know before I order it.

2. Is Captain American still a goddamn Nazi?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Two quick questions

1. Has anyone read or had confirmed that the Hickman Avengers Omnibus is in his preferred order like FF was? Just wanted to know before I order it.

Steve is currently ruling over the United States of Hydramerica as the leader of Hydra. Yeah, he's still a nazi.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Two quick questions

The order is apparently approved by Hickman, but I haven't seen anyone list out the exact format in the collection yet

quote:

Captain America is still leading Hydra, unless that Steve who is being rescued by shirtless-Red-Skull from the land of the dead type-place ends up being the real-er Steve somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I like them because they're fun characters that have had enjoyable stories written about them that I enjoy. Their exposure has bugger all to do with me liking them, it just means I'm more likely to see them. If exposure was all that mattered Roman Reigns would be the most popular wrestler in the world.

"I like these characters because they've had enjoyable stories written about them over the course of several decades by hundreds of writers. Exposure doesn't matter."

Nilbop posted:

you can't blame Marvel for printing what the fans want and you can't blame the fans for wanting it.

Sure I can.

I can blame the fans for being afraid of change and clinging to what is safe and comfortable and refusing to even try new things and getting upset when different things happen. I can absolutely blame the editorial for allowing their own personal fanboyism to control and influence storylines to the point they will actively get rid of character development in order to do that. (You're never going to make me believe the argument Peter "Married for Decades" Parker needing his magical devil divorce was something the fans demanded.)

The fact that they are what 'sells' doesn't particularly matter because if what sells isn't growing the brand then Marvel is proving that they're clinging to an increasingly small fanbase, not figuring out how to get new ones, and that isn't sustainable. Obviously if the new heroes aren't selling that means they're not the answer but it doesn't mean retreating back to Marginally More Sales is either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that they are what 'sells' doesn't particularly matter because if what sells isn't growing the brand then Marvel is proving that they're clinging to an increasingly small fanbase, not figuring out how to get new ones, and that isn't sustainable.

:yeah:

This is the huge flaw in the "stick to what works" method Marvel keeps falling back on: it doesn't actually work. They're so loving scared of losing ground in the short term that they refuse to think about the long term. DC's been guilty of this time and and again, too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think until they drastically change the way they sell and market comics, "marginally more sales" is about as much as any comic publisher can hope for. The people who don't buy comics because they're expensive and require going to a special store outnumber the people who don't buy comics because all the popular heroes are white a million to one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, but the big 2 publishers are mostly just R&D for giant movie studios and the independent stuff that sells is often very diverse.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

BrianWilly posted:

And the more likely they are to be noticed, the more likely they are to sustain any quality. We can go back and forth on this forever, which is why it's a cycle.

Them being noticed does not effect their quality. This is a straight line, not a cycle, and it starts with quality. Nothing succeeds without quality.

BrianWilly posted:

And like, as I keep saying, there are other female or non-white Marvel characters who have been around just as long as those guys, if not longer. So when your off-the-top-of-head list of favorites don't include them and just so happens to be majority male and white anyway, you have to figure there's some reason for that which isn't simply "I just don't like female or non-white characters."

List me your 3 favourite She-Hulk, Captain Marvel or Storm stories as quickly as you can. The issue is not how long they've been around, the issue is the quality of their stories over that time. If Mockingbird had had her recent run in the 80s she'd be much more prominent now. Nobody has any obligation to like an unexciting storyline just because it centers around an ethnic or female character.

ImpAtom posted:

"I like these characters because they've had enjoyable stories written about them over the course of several decades by hundreds of writers. Exposure doesn't matter."

So this is just you complaining that I don't agree with you.

quote:

Sure I can.

I can blame the fans for being afraid of change and clinging to what is safe and comfortable and refusing to even try new things and getting upset when different things happen. I can absolutely blame the editorial for allowing their own personal fanboyism to control and influence storylines to the point they will actively get rid of character development in order to do that. (You're never going to make me believe the argument Peter "Married for Decades" Parker needing his magical devil divorce was something the fans demanded.)

Fans are allowed to like what they like. Editorial will always do what they want (and you're blaming them for being fanboys when that's exactly the kind of person you want in charge - someone who cares about the product). I don't like Peter's marriage getting magicked away either, but Joe Q (who pushed for that) was pretty instrumental in transforming Marvel from the mess it was in the 90s to where it's been since the year 2000. I can accept we won't always agree with that.

While I'm on this I'd just like to say that the implication that anyone who doesn't enjoy how these characters' push have turned out must be racist is super hosed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

I think until they drastically change the way they sell and market comics, "marginally more sales" is about as much as any comic publisher can hope for. The people who don't buy comics because they're expensive and require going to a special store outnumber the people who don't buy comics because all the popular heroes are white a million to one.

This is absolutely true and a major part of the problem with blaming characters for sales. Comics cater to people who are already comic fans and comic fans are notoriously conservative when it comes to new things. It isn't to say every new character will absolutely succeed or anything but when you're talking about expensive niche products that use increasingly outdated production methods it's no wonder.

Nilbop posted:

when that's exactly the kind of person you want in charge

Absolutely not. The only people who want fanboys in charge are fanboys.There's a difference between being a fan of something and being a mindless fan of something, but I don't even think it's necessarily wrong to have someone writing a book who approaches the character from the direction of something besides a die-hard fan. You can get some incredible stories out of that and avoid some of the "it has to be this way because it's the way it's always been" stuff,.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Dude no one is saying you're racist, just that it's foolish to think some objective value of 'quality' is the be-all-end-all determinant of success over other factors of the market and business, which includes inherent bias.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nilbop posted:

What? He is saying your logic doesn't work because it contradicts itself, which it does.

Just say you want the characters you identify with and stop pretending it's something else, it's kind of hosed up

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All those characters and concepts have had tons of time to really establish themselves as part of the Marvel Universe. They had time for people to get attached and understand who they are, the villains they fight, and and their supporting casts.

Now, it feels like poo poo will last for 12 issues at the most before a drastic shakeup to the next thing before any kind of status quo can be set up. I think that really hurts the new characters more than anything else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If someone came up with Giant-man today that poo poo would get maybe 3 issues.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: ^^ the tl;dr version

Even some of the established characters exist in a different marketplace than they used to. Heroes who had fifty, seventy-five, hundred issue runs back in the day that would struggle to stay in print for even a year before being cancelled. Hard out there for anyone, let alone a new character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lobok posted:

Even some of the established characters exist in a different marketplace than they used to. Heroes who had fifty, seventy-five, hundred issue runs back in the day that would struggle to stay in print for even a year before being cancelled. Hard out there for anyone, let alone a new character.

Don't forget x-men was cancelled as it was just reprints for like 20 issues before it became the biggest thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

List me your 3 favourite She-Hulk, Captain Marvel or Storm stories as quickly as you can. The issue is not how long they've been around, the issue is the quality of their stories over that time. If Mockingbird had had her recent run in the 80s she'd be much more prominent now. Nobody has any obligation to like an unexciting storyline just because it centers around an ethnic or female character.

In no particular order, 1) Storm merging with a space whale 2 )Storm beating the poo poo out of Calisto without using her powers, 3) Storm Beating the poo poo out of Cyclops without having any powers 4) Storm almost destroying the world because Dr Doom trapped her in a mannequin.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

5( Loki tricking Storm into picking up the hammer to marry her or something

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Let's not also forget either of the two Life Death stories. Though I'm sure these will be discounted since their technically X-Men stories that just have large Storm arcs in them. I also think the difference there is that Storm was the #1 or 2 character on X-men throughout the 80s and 90s, while Ms. Marvel basically didn't exist during the 90s thanks to the worst comics story ever, and She-Hulk was basically an also ran character.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

6) Storm laying in Forge's bed moping for like an entire issue yet still managing to be somehow riveting because Claremont.
7) Ms Marvel killing Brood in space with turbolasers like that poo poo was going out of style.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
8) This one.

Like if you're literally going to say that 90% of your favorite characters are all coincidentally white and male and not examine any structural, societal, or personal biases for why that might be and how we got to that point, I don't know what else to tell you but that you might be -- as little fault as it may be of your own -- operating from an observably discriminatory baseline, here. I tried to be diplomatic about it but like there's really no other way to put this.

It doesn't mean anyone's singling you out. A lot of people are conditioned to bigotry, myself included in quite a lot of ways, because that's just how our media and culture have conditioned us. I'm not saying anything shocking or preposterous here; "Our racist/sexist culture has instilled racist/sexist standards in us" is the lowest common denominator in talking about these issues.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Best classic Carrol Danvers moment is walking back to the X-mansion after a space adventure , seeing Rogue on the team immediately uppercuts her

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lobok posted:

Not Marvel, but it still amazes me that Cass Cain as Batgirl could have a 73-issue ongoing in the early-mid 2000s because, yeah, if they tried to do something like that today it'd maybe get a quarter of that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I really would like to see Marvel do something like a page-a-day, ad-supported web comic, starring the most crazily obscure characters that any writer wants to work with, and monetize it like Panel Syndicate or something. It'd be a nice way to give characters a solo adventure now and again without dooming them to the direct market.

They could also stand to outright rip off the DC 99-cent weekly digital comics. Really, cost of entry is becoming a much bigger problem than a lot of people seem to want to admit, especially when you stack American comics up against even officially translated manga.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

Steve is currently ruling over the United States of Hydramerica as the leader of Hydra. Yeah, he's still a nazi.

Well perhaps it's being written well at least.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Captain America is still leading Hydra, unless that Steve who is being rescued by shirtless-Red-Skull from the land of the dead type-place ends up being the real-er Steve somehow.
......yeah perhaps not.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The order is apparently approved by Hickman, but I haven't seen anyone list out the exact format in the collection yet
That's good to know. I mean I can't see him approving some weirdo ordering. Granted some of the books listed aren't ones I ever recall being mentioned in the read order I've seen posted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Not Marvel, but it still amazes me that Cass Cain as Batgirl could have a 73-issue ongoing in the early-mid 2000s because, yeah, if they tried to do something like that today it'd maybe get a quarter of that.
She did have the advantage of the Bat-brand

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Cass Cain was kind of the Kamala of her day. I remember there were a lot of fans who instantly latched on to her, some of whom have yet to let go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barbara Gordon just had a series run 53 issues. It would have been more if they hadn't renumbered for Rebirth.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wanderer posted:

Cass Cain was kind of the Kamala of her day. I remember there were a lot of fans who instantly latched on to her, some of whom have yet to let go.

I definitely haven't.

Cass Cain is the Batgirl for me.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Cass Cain was a great Batgirl way better the Barbra has ever been but sadly didn't work in the legacy killing Nu52

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Nilbop posted:

Them being noticed does not effect their quality. This is a straight line, not a cycle, and it starts with quality. Nothing succeeds without quality.

Fans are allowed to like what they like. Editorial will always do what they want (and you're blaming them for being fanboys when that's exactly the kind of person you want in charge - someone who cares about the product). I don't like Peter's marriage getting magicked away either, but Joe Q (who pushed for that) was pretty instrumental in transforming Marvel from the mess it was in the 90s to where it's been since the year 2000. I can accept we won't always agree with that.

While I'm on this I'd just like to say that the implication that anyone who doesn't enjoy how these characters' push have turned out must be racist is super hosed up.

Jesus Christ how contrarian and obtuse can one person be? It's you, you're the reason the comics industry is in the shitter, from your tautological insistence that the reason people don't like books that push diversity is because they're all bad (with the convenient exception of books you like, because let's dispel the illusion you're anything by disingenuous), to your lovely strawmen like "youre saying all ppl that dont leik Sam Cap R racist!!!". I assume because you're still "on this" you've read both what you just wrote and had written previously without an iota of self-awareness or shame, so all that anyone can do really is laugh at you, and hope you and the rest of the lovely grognards White Knighting for Joe Q or Perlmutter or whatever freak of the week continues to drag down their own industry die off so I stop getting the WASP Avengers shoved down my throat every few years.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I take that last part back, the Wasp Avengers sounds like a great annual starring Janet and Nadia

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Literally the only thing worse than Marvel's current comic output is the level of discourse surrounding it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
can there be like a 'diversity in comics thread' to take this constant establishment of hills to die on

i would much rather talk about the best Marvel Comic In Publication, Gwenpool. She is cool, and my friend.

e: do the dc and indie threads get caught up in this as frequently

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Clawtopsy posted:

can there be like a 'diversity in comics thread' to take this constant establishment of hills to die on

i would much rather talk about the best Marvel Comic In Publication, Gwenpool. She is cool, and my friend.

e: do the dc and indie threads get caught up in this as frequently

No they don't. In fact outside a case of an American Dracula complaining about a minor characters sexual orientation, which are rare and far between, this doesn't happen.

• Locked thread