Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It is both those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'd still be pretty hesitant to, you know, actually do it, though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the thought of going after people using ~illegal hair colors~ while I still see a new bot every morning selling gold is incredibly lol to me

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Orr maybe they should add more hair/eye colors but I don't think they will.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

It's a technical PhD dissertation now to play and optimize.

How so?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What changed that made it so bad? Are people really nostalgic about babysitting dots? Dreadwyrm stance charges falling off?

Mutual exclusivity of Aetherflow and Aethertrail sucks real loving bad and feels janky.

Also the Job is now rather a lot of Ruin spam, but the above issue is far more pertinent to the overall gameflow sucking. Going into a trash pack with full Aethertrail and having to Dreadwyrm and then immediately burn it off with a Deathflare to be able to even think about Aetherflowing so you can Bane feels bad man.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure these days Bane is so nerfed that you're actually better off hardcasting DoTs on multiple targets during Dreadwyrm! Which also doesn't feel particularly great!

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 9, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Also the inability to heal the loving pet and being forced to watch as it dies to every AE ability because Garuda stands 1cm inside every AE radius.

I'm going to level it to 70 just for the changes that have to be coming, or to be ready for next expansion when it will be the bees knees for sure. Seems to be the way classes go.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
I wish more people would come visit me at my mansion, it gets lonely

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Erg posted:

the thought of going after people using ~illegal hair colors~ while I still see a new bot every morning selling gold is incredibly lol to me

i mean, you're never going to not have botters, and ffxiv does way more about it than most. if you're seeing one new botter a day they're doing pretty well

in all likeliness they're not going to do anything about it but i'd rather not take any risks just so my dragongirl's backstory about being a special snowflake is reinforced by her hot topic hair color or whatever the hell inspired this

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What changed that made it so bad? Are people really nostalgic about babysitting dots? Dreadwyrm stance charges falling off?

Honestly the only thing I don't really like about it is how badly you are punished for death or fat-fingering an Aetherflow stack or Bane missing because the pubbie tank can't hold hate/corral mobs and I'm not paying close enough attention.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpAuOcKTF0SaGq8G9CWXTWqMsIU3IJxzqXd3LQBPy1E/mobilebasic

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

I read down to the part were they discussed using abilities like it were payment plans and then deleted SMN from my Gear Set list.

Haven't played mine past 60 but holy poo poo what did they do to this class?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I think some of you are missing the fact that LK is documenting all this and reporting it to Square so it can be looked into. He did say that they fixed the things he initially found, it just turned out there was another way to do it.

Also the colors are pretty garish as 50s pointed out, so I'm not too sure a ton of people are going to go out of their way to do it other than to see if they can.

It might be funny if they fix it just due to the rage it'd cause all the people using it to make their tits bigger (one of the changes that only shows up to the person doing it AFAIK).

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 9, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

It's a technical PhD dissertation now to play and optimize.

Not...really? It's pretty straightforward to do well enough now, but complex to dps reach the dps ceiling due to some design issues and bahamut. The core is essentially a simpler version of the 3.x rotation because now you have a singles static rotation you're running through with little room to deviate, and no worry about dropping AT stacks or dwt/trid/df being on cooldown. With little practice it's an aoe champion in dungeons at 70.

Screw up a bane (well, don't cast bane anyway), fester, or aetherflow and you'll be in a bad place though. And bahamut is obviously designed poorly, but if all you do is two akh morn and some gcd wyrnwaves you're not that far off.

nuru fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 9, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

nuru posted:

Screw up a bane (well, don't cast bane anyway), fester, or aetherflow and you'll be in a bad place though. And bahamut is obviously designed poorly, but if all you do is two akh morn and some gcd wyrnwaves you're not that far off.

The magic happens when Bahamut's second Akh Morn animation goes off, but does no damage because Bahamut was too busy shuffling in place and then bounces because you had to move one foot to the left.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

MechaX posted:

The magic happens when Bahamut's second Akh Morn animation goes off, but does no damage because Bahamut was too busy shuffling in place and then bounces because you had to move one foot to the left.

The kicker is that he has a 100 yalm range but still sticks to to you like he has separation anxiety.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

MechaX posted:

The new SMN stuff is so damned janky. I've been playing SMN a bit more lately to mix things up (I main as SCH), and while it's awesome when everything comes together and you can make some really big dick numbers, Bahamut has been a rude dude to me a couple times. I notice it most during Susex.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
something i have learned playing dps is that a lot of people are godawful at dpsing. i've been playing dragoon for all of two weeks and it's genuinely rare for an average pub to be doing better damage than me despite ostensibly playing their class for like years and the fact drg dps is not great. 'problems' with classes are only going to show up in the top ten-fifteen percentile and the average person doesn't even remember to use their cooldowns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

something i have learned playing dps is that a lot of people are godawful at dpsing. i've been playing dragoon for all of two weeks and it's genuinely rare for an average pub to be doing better damage than me despite ostensibly playing their class for like years and the fact drg dps is not great. 'problems' with classes are only going to show up in the top ten-fifteen percentile and the average person doesn't even remember to use their cooldowns.

I don't wanna doom spike it uses too much tp.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mutual exclusivity of Aetherflow and Aethertrail sucks real loving bad and feels janky.

Also the Job is now rather a lot of Ruin spam, but the above issue is far more pertinent to the overall gameflow sucking. Going into a trash pack with full Aethertrail and having to Dreadwyrm and then immediately burn it off with a Deathflare to be able to even think about Aetherflowing so you can Bane feels bad man.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure these days Bane is so nerfed that you're actually better off hardcasting DoTs on multiple targets during Dreadwyrm! Which also doesn't feel particularly great!

Also there's the thing where you can be turbofucked for up to 2 minutes if you die right after popping aetherflow, because you lose all aetherflow, aethertrail, and dreadwyrm stacks when you die. That's in addition to the weakness debuff and effectively losing all of your MP (because you have to resummon your pet).

Also the thing where you can spend atherflow and not get aethertrail in certain situations, which also delays your rotation for an extra minute.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

you are correct that i am not going to doom spike three mob packs, yes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah and the thing where Bahamut is a giant obnoxious piece of poo poo that obscures your and other players' views, and stops doing the things he's supposed to be doing if you move by even a pixel!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah and the thing where Bahamut is a giant obnoxious piece of poo poo that obscures your and other players' views, and stops doing the things he's supposed to be doing if you move by even a pixel!

excuse you, but this is my class fantasy and you don't pay my sub, tia

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Remember when they added spells with long cooldowns that are dependent on pet AI, and if the pet decides not to follow the command, the spell goes on cooldown?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

strong bird posted:

Remember when they added spells with long cooldowns that are dependent on pet AI, and if the pet decides not to follow the command, the spell goes on cooldown?

this is also part of my class fantasy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Erg posted:

I mean, same, but I wouldn't want to lose my character over some hair colour.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Now that I'm hitting 70 in my gathering classes, would I be better off buying a set of hq gear off the mb before trying to farm up a bunch of scrip, or would a full set of level appropriate trash with maybe hq tools be good enough?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is also part of my class fantasy.

This is the worst cover song I've ever heard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't play smn so I can't speak to the specific issues like the bahamut movement thing, but I can tell you straight up that no one who played that job did so because they just loving loved pressing Ruin. It's mind-boggling that SE thought people who played the DoT jobs wanted fewer dots and more lovely filler spells, to the point where I assume there was a big whiteboard at SE that just said "LESS DOTS" circled a few times, and this is what guided all class redesign.

I get wanting less "automatic" damage but there are better, more thematic ways to handle that for jobs whose main appeal was using dots. WoW's affliction warlock and shadow priest both went through a bunch of different versions and were dot-heavy, surely one of those would have made for good inspiration.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

My dude have you ever had a black mage tell you they don't want to use aoe spells because they cost too much mp.

Because I have.

Sinteres posted:

Now that I'm hitting 70 in my gathering classes, would I be better off buying a set of hq gear off the mb before trying to farm up a bunch of scrip, or would a full set of level appropriate trash with maybe hq tools be good enough?

Full NQ whites from the vendor is good enough for getting yellow scrip, except from the folklore nodes.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 9, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VHGS posted:

My dude have you ever had a black mage tell you they don't want to use aoe spells because they cost too much mp.

Because I have.

Full NQ whites from the vendor is good enough for getting yellow scrip, except from the folklore nodes.

That's what mana shift is for

so I can flare more

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I don't play smn so I can't speak to the specific issues like the bahamut movement thing, but I can tell you straight up that no one who played that job did so because they just loving loved pressing Ruin. It's mind-boggling that SE thought people who played the DoT jobs wanted fewer dots and more lovely filler spells, to the point where I assume there was a big whiteboard at SE that just said "LESS DOTS" circled a few times, and this is what guided all class redesign.

I get wanting less "automatic" damage but there are better, more thematic ways to handle that for jobs whose main appeal was using dots. WoW's affliction warlock and shadow priest both went through a bunch of different versions and were dot-heavy, surely one of those would have made for good inspiration.

The issue is probably not that they thought people dislike it but that DOT juggling was leading to too big a damage gap, which was their stated reason for simplifying a lot of classes. I don't think they did it right with all classes but focusing on Ruin spam lowers the amount of that. Of course then they made Aetherflow the single biggest fuckup punishment so...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

VHGS posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just downloaded the game on PS4 and I have no clue how to even get started. I made a SE account on their site, but have no clue how to link it with my PS4. Google has been useless.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think removing dots on combo classes sort of made sense, because a lot of melees just didn't use them or wouldn't fit them into the right places, but on classes that had most of their damage come from dots, who wasn't managing them? how many summoners weren't managing their dots when it was the entire point of the class?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is probably not that they thought people dislike it but that DOT juggling was leading to too big a damage gap, which was their stated reason for simplifying a lot of classes. I don't think they did it right with all classes but focusing on Ruin spam lowers the amount of that. Of course then they made Aetherflow the single biggest fuckup punishment so...
Yeah, if Square just simplified things and raised the skill floor then nobody would be complaining all that much. But they actually wound up somehow making the class both less fun to play properly and harder to actually play due to how badly you're screwed if something goes wrong. Even simple things like removing the pet heal make the class so much more obnoxious in practice.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

For the fancy house designs is it just a custom item you make or do you need to make several pieces? For instance, when I look at garland for carbuncle I find "Carbuncle Cottage Walls" which requires a great deal of mats.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nuru posted:

For the fancy house designs is it just a custom item you make or do you need to make several pieces? For instance, when I look at garland for carbuncle I find "Carbuncle Cottage Walls" which requires a great deal of mats.

i think you pick your houses...walls, house, and roof? something like that. you're not making a section of wall, you're making the walls that surround your entire lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nuru posted:

You have to make the entire project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Asimo posted:

Even simple things like removing the pet heal make the class so much more obnoxious in practice.

This is the big red siren screaming that whoever was in charge of summoner had no idea what they were doing. The whole point of the class redesign was to get rid of useless abilities, but here they got rid of a useful ability and left a useless ability (mind-based physick) in its place.