Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

how is king graham going to take his bride back across the bridge

Considering that the door disappeared after he went through it, I think he would be more concerned with getting back to that dimension first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

It'd be hilarious if the only way back across the bridge was to get a ride from the pegasus, so if you killed the snake then you'd just be stranded there at the end of the game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Robindaybird posted:

And I suspect the other reason is between the original release and remake, Michael Jackson had been more judicious in telling people to stop using his music without permission.

Apparantly there's a certain amount of bars you're allowed to use before it becomes infringement and a certain amount of adjustments that make it no longer subject to that and the guy who made the music for the remake was pretty familiar with how much leeway he'd have with that, so if he felt a Thriller-reference was appropriate in that place, he probably would have put one in that was tinkered just enough to avoid attracting the legal hounds.

Bloops Crusts posted:

I have more of an issue with some of the liberties they took with their King's Quest III VGA remake. Because that game actually *did* have a story -- it's the second-most beloved game in the entire series after KQ6 for a lot of people, including me -- and they injected their plot contrivances right into it. Didn't like that.

On the other hand, the KQ3 remake mostly tinkered the story at the margins and the plot structure as a whole is still pretty much the same unlike the remake of the second game.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 8, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It'd be hilarious if the only way back across the bridge was to get a ride from the pegasus, so if you killed the snake then you'd just be stranded there at the end of the game.

Don't worry, there's two other winged horses in the King's Quest series that can stand in

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It would be perfect Sierra dead end. Which means something like that will happen.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Bloops Crusts posted:

I never read/watched Twilight and barely know the first thing about it. So in my blissful ignorance, I think werewolves and vampires can be cool. (Also, the VGA remake came out in 2002. I don't think Twilight came out until several years after that. There isn't any connection there.)

I'm aware there is no correlation, but it was still loving terrible. I suppose I should have used the word 'like' in my description to make that more obvious. But you're right, they were ahead of their time when it came to terrible vampire writing. Also, the whole religious thing seemed like they were trying to make a point of some such....and failed so badly that I can't begin to fathom what the hell they were thinking.

Also, nothing wrong with werewolves and vampires....just depends on the writing and it's terrible.

the KQ3 remake at least allowed you to still murderize the monster they tried to (badly) make sympathetic and only had a few references to their "overarching plot". Otherwise, the plot was mostly intact.

Speaking of KQ3 though, if we're going there I recommend the Infamous Adventures remake. They wisely kept the original plot entirely intact, and from what I recall it was very well done.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 9, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

quote:

There's almost no chance anyone could get out of this screen in the pitch black, with only Graham's eyes to guide them.

I...uh, did this back when my family didn't own many games. And I think I even knew how to light the candle by that point. Kids do the darndest things? :shrug:

To be fair, my siblings and I made up stories while playing Mixed Up Mother Goose for the umpteenth time too.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just woke up so I read this as "how is king graham going to take his bridle back across the bridge"

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

mauman posted:

Speaking of KQ3 though, if we're going there I recommend the Infamous Adventures remake. They wisely kept the original plot entirely intact, and from what I recall it was very well done.

KQ3 will be done with the original engine. After a taste of VGA for the first, it's nice to see the series advance back to that point. Also some jokes in later titles will not make sense if we don't see proper, non remake, context. :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and iirc there's some parts that were actually really well-down graphic wise for the era in KQ3, be a shame not to point those out.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DoubleNegative posted:

KQ3 will be done with the original engine. After a taste of VGA for the first, it's nice to see the series advance back to that point. Also some jokes in later titles will not make sense if we don't see proper, non remake, context. :v:

Gotcha...that also works.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i remember kings quest 3 as being really excellent so i am looking forward to seeing your playthrough of that

at least i think it was 3? the numbers all tend to blur together, hopefully my glasses aren't too rose-tinted

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

i remember kings quest 3 as being really excellent so i am looking forward to seeing your playthrough of that

at least i think it was 3? the numbers all tend to blur together, hopefully my glasses aren't too rose-tinted

It was a really well-done adventure game in the pre-LucasArts era, even though literally half of it was typing copy protection into the text parser. It was also the first King's Quest game to really have a story, and for the time it was made in and the capabilities of the engine, the story was really, really good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
>put bridle on princess

edit:

>put bridle on wolf

edit:

>put bridle on dracula

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

>put bridle on wolf

edit:

>put bridle on dracula

"You have to be closer" :v:

I don't think that was mentioned during the snake but you have to be juuust out of range of its reach for that command to work properly. At least it tells you you're on the right track!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
>throw bridle at mermaid

>place bridle on Poseidon

>use bridle on self

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

>use bridle on self

"I don't understand self."

>use bridle on Graham

"You can't do that... at least not yet!"

>use bridle on enchanter

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

>Use bridle on narrator

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

>use sword on roberta williams

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This thread has been invaded by unbridled stupidity.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

>use bridle on stupidity

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Hey, if I beat KQ3 in glorious 16-color EGA, you can too!

Sage Grimm posted:

"You have to be closer" :v:

'Tis beyond your reach!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
>use bridle on bridge

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome to the final story update for King's Quest II. After this there's going to be a bonus update showing some fun interactions, but as far as the main game goes, this is it.

When we left off, Graham was now on the far side of a mountain range in a very colorful environment. So let's not waste any time, shall we?

To start off, we want to go north from the starting point. This little shore area is only 3 screens long, and we need the net up here. Speaking of which...

>look

: The sand on the sparkling beach is a deep blue. The bright sunlight, from a gorgeous pink sky, dances across it. Cliffs tower above the beach. There is a fishing net in a pile on the beach. Graham takes it.

: The fishing net is fashioned from a material that is unfamiliar to you. It is smooth and tangle-proof.

With our net, we can now go to the southern end of the beach. Right now it looks like we're trapped here, as that seawater looks awful rough. So let's try fishing to pass the time...

>fish

: Graham fishes, and he fishes, and he fishes some more... However, no matter how hard he tries, he doesn't seem to be able to catch anything.

You need to be patient. It's completely up to the RNG here. So keep typing >fish until...

: Graham casts the fishing net into the wild sea. Upon retrieving it, he sees he has caught a large golden fish! It falls from the net and flops helplessly on the beach.

Well, if I remember my fables right...

>talk to fish

: The gasping fish is unable to utter a sound.

>get fish

: Graham grabs the flopping fish. Its mouth is wide open and its gills are extended. With difficulty, Graham holds the fish as it twists and turns in his hands.

>throw fish back

: Graham throws the poor gasping fish back into the iridescent water. Gratefully, it calls to him.

: In return for saving my life, I wish to offer you a ride across this ocean.
: That's very generous of you, mister fish. Thank you.

>ride fish

This ride is pretty funny at maximum speed. Really gives you the feeling that the fish is bitter that Graham caught it in the first place.

Anyway, this little island here is only a handful of screens and is actually the site of the end of the game. So let's get to exploring.

You can see our tower destination in the background there. But before we head inside, there's something we need to do here on the island proper.

The island itself is a 3x3 grid, and the only things of importance are in the top middle and center screens. Everything else is just pretty scenery.

: A glint of metal catches Graham's eye. He looks toward the direction of the glint and sees an amulet lying on the ground.

The little bit of narration appears as soon as you enter the top middle screen. This amulet is incredibly important so even 1987 Sierra didn't want you to miss it.

>get amulet

: You examine the amulet. It is made of bronze that has tarnished with age. A Tiger's Eye stone is imbedded into the front. You turn the amulet over, and see the word 'HOME' engraved on the back.

"Imbedded" is a typo actually in the game. Anyway, what's so important about

>home

: Graham murmurs the word home. A tingling sensation envelops his body. He blacks out for a second... when he comes to, he sees he is somewhere else!

So that amulet is a one way ticket back home. That technically, I guess, counts as a legitimate ending for the game. The credits roll and everything. But let's do it the right way, eh?

This big tower in the middle is our ultimate goal.

>open door

Of course it would be a spiral staircase. For some reason, I found this one incredibly hard to get on. So it takes a few false starts...

Yep. Even better, the tower is 3 screens tall. And it abruptly shifts perspective at the top of the first screen. Mercifully, Graham stops walking on screen transition.

Thankfully we only fall off twice on the climb up.

: Be careful!!! There is a huge lion with dripping fangs at the top of the stairs. He has a hungry look in his eye!

: Nice kitty. Good kitty. Down boy...

Well... we have to. There's no way around it.

There's two solutions to this puzzle.

>kill lion

: With one mighty heave of his sword, Graham fatally wounds the large lion. It slumps to the floor.

This method only gets you 2 points.

>feed lion

: Hungrily, the lion gobbles down the smoked ham and then falls fast asleep.

>open door

: Graham has found her! The girl in the magic mirror! She is even more beautiful than he had imagined!

: Hi...
: My name is Valanice, what is your name?
: I... um... I'm Graham
: Oh, Graham, I am forever grateful to you!

>kiss girl

: Come closer, kind sir.

: Graham tentatively embraces the beautiful gir. His lips meet hers, and they are both in ecstasy. This was well worth playing the game for!

: Hold on tight... Home!
: Valanice holds Graham's hand tightly as the world fades around them. In an instant, they are both standing somewhere else!

Allow me to interrupt the ending really quick. Look at the wedding guests. It's practically the entire cast from both the previous game and this one.

: Congratulations, King Graham! You have won the hand of the beautiful Valanice. May you two live happily ever after!

: If you have enjoyed this game, please ask your LPer about the availability of King's Quest III -- To Heir is to Human.

: Thank you from the King's Quest development team: Ken, Roberta, Sol, Jeff, Chris, Scott, Doug, Mark, Al, Dale, and Emo.

: Thank you from the King's Quest quality assurance team: Larry, Susan, Russ, Bob, and Kim.

And that's the end of King's Quest II.

NEXT TIME: Bonus round! Fun interactions! Killing the whole world! Stuff I missed!

Total List of Points

+0 - Free clamshell
+7 - Gaudy bracelet
+3 - Rusty trident on the beach
+1 - Checked the mail
+2 - Mail fraud
+4 - Traded basket for flowers
+2 - Raising the Stakes
+7 - Priceless jewelry in the fallen tree
+2 - Mallet in the tree
+2 - Praying
+2 - Holy Cross
+2 - Wearing the cross
+1 - Looking in a dark hole
+7 - More priceless jewlery in a mundane location
+2 - Stealing supper
+7 - Yet more priceless jewelry
+2 - Chicken soup for Grandma
+4 - Gifts from Grandma
+3 - 1 Ring for a mortal man doomed to die
+1 - Crossing the bridge
+1 - Crossing the bridge again
+2 - Graham's got a mermaid girlfriend
+2 - Seahorse rodeo
+4 - Neptune has his trident
+5 - Neptune's golden key
+2 - Cloth in a bottle
+2 - Bedtime for birdie
+2 - Stealing from the Hag
+1 - Crossing the bridge
+7 - Unlocking the first door
+1 - Crossing the bridge yet again
+6 - Trading bird for lamp
+2 - Genie's first wish
+2 - Genie's second wish
+2 - Graham wastes his third wish
+4 - Magic carpet ride
+5 - The bridle
+2 - Sugar cube
+5 - Second key
+1 - Crossing the bridge
+7 - Unlocking the second door
+1 - Crossing the bridge yet again
+1 - Graham has a sweet tooth
+2 - Getting a candle
+2 - Handling the ham
+1 - Lighting the Candle
+7 - Graham Belmont
+2 - Dracula's silver key
+0 - Red Satin Pillow
+5 - Third gold key
+1 - Unlocking the old chest
+7 - Yet more gaudy jewelry
+1 - Crossing the bridge the seventh time
+7 - Entering the third door
+1 - A nice net
+2 - Fishing in the sea
+3 - Throwing the fish back
+1 - Riding the fish
+3 - The amulet the game pointed out
+4 - Lions like smoked ham
+5 - Girl in the tower
+3 - The end!

Final Total: 185/185 Points

Total Register of Deaths

Swimming in poison
Drowning in the ocean
My, what big teeth you have
Tumbling off the cliffs
Pissing off Neptune x2
Snakebite
Cliff diving x2 (The AGDI video counts!)
Falling into the chasm
Poisonous brambles x2
Who needs handrails... or light? x2
Fangs for waking Dracula up
Falling off the stairs x2
Crossing the bridge an eighth time
--Forgot the princess. You dumbass
Fell off the narrow stairs x2
That cat is dangerous. I'm not lion!

Final Total:

21 Deaths, 1 Bad Ending

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Alright, so for the bonus update, I've got some stuff I want to capture footage of. But now that you've seen the entire game, are there any interactions you want me to try out?

Beyond apparently using the bridle on literally everything.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Kill everything in Kolyma. Valanice, Dracula (without the stake and mallet), Grandma, Little Red Riding Hood, King Neptune, everything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just want to give you 186/185 Score for linking Steppenwolf.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure that, just like the first game, many of the puzzle solutions can be substituted for treasures at the cost of the points you got for the treasure, and likely the points you'd have gotten for solving the puzzle correctly. Those would be neat to see.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

DoubleNegative posted:

Alright, so for the bonus update, I've got some stuff I want to capture footage of. But now that you've seen the entire game, are there any interactions you want me to try out?

Beyond apparently using the bridle on literally everything.

Kiss everybody.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Wait, didn't Graham kill Dracula? How is he at the wedding, which is even in a church?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
He had a miraculous recovery got better.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Getting a wedding invitation is strong magic. After all, you need to invite a vampire in before he can enter a building!

As for his coming back, I guess the monk piped some Dark Age Revival music down into the castle's basement?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You also don't have to kill Dracula. He drops the key to the chest, but if you just search the coffin while he's not there, you can get the key to the door and leave without ever encountering him. I guess it would have been too much work to make another end screen without him.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

"Imbedded" is a typo actually in the game.

It's not a typo. Imbed is a variant spelling of embed.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DoubleNegative posted:

That cat is dangerous. I'm not lion!

:golfclap:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
wait, what even did you need all those damned sapphires for, anyway?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

OAquinas posted:

wait, what even did you need all those damned sapphires for, anyway?

Points. Adventure game design was still in the "Zork era" where you got points for grabbing random treasures. (Never mind that Daventry has a magic chest that provides unlimited gold.)

I think there might be a bit somewhere (in the KQ Companion?) about giving them to Valanice to go with her wedding dress, but don't quote me on that.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
While the treasures in KQ1 were just random valuables (golden walnut, pouch with diamonds, diamond-studded sceptre, golden egg), the treasures in KQ2 (earrings, brooch, necklace, bracelet, tiara) were all part of a set of sapphire-themed jewelry and were essentially wedding gifts. It even said so in the manual, IIRC.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If you fall down from the top screen of those stairs, does it actually transition screens all the way down? Or do you just fall and get the "you fell and died, idiot" message?

Also, swim that colorful ocean in the last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The worst KQ game. And that's saying something.

• Locked thread