Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Sacrifice of self: an analysis of the process and psychological modification of a human to an Adeptus Astartes.

"They are more than human, they are steel and doom", one short line perfectly defines the Adeptus Astartes. It may seem like common sense but when you consider what a space marine actually is, you must start to consider what humanity has truly wrought.

We must remember two things, one an Astartes is a biological weapon two it is a weapon that possesses a soul. The initial idea for modified humans appears early in the galaxies history as cultures that were separated by warp storms or extreme distance manufactured their own version of defenders. Things that would be able to tackle the horrors of the Galaxy. Yet only with the coming of the Emperor and the primarch project do we see this process streamlined to produce hundreds of thousands of genetically modified trans-humans.

I want us to consider the following, the Emperor always knew he needed an advantage over the other galactic civilizations. His power was near infinite but even he couldn't persecute his conquest alone. His first attempt with the thunder warriors was.......problematic. Humans who were heavily modified to be little better than berserk monsters. knowing these forces were unreliable and in many ways unpredictable he focused on the next generation of enhanced bio weapons. The thing he was right about is that humanity always responds better to something that is similar in appearance. Yes the Thunder warriors were brutal beyond measure but they were still essentially human, and needed a very specific control mechanism. The Adeptus Astartes are more akin to an assembly line soldier than a gene-modified barbarian, the specific organs that are introduced into their system rapidly change the baseline human into a pure weapon.

Then there is also the matter of the legion/chapter life that the new instrument of war is introduced to. They are removed from basic human society and become one with a body that is genetically and culturally based on a very specific source. The psychological conditioning that takes place is rather fascinating, as many of the Adeptus Astartes view their Primarchs as being "fathers", that is an amazing cultural construct. We have to remember that in most cases an Aspirant is taken at a very young age, their potential identity is supplanted by what the Legion/chapter requires them to be. The introduction of the concept of a Primarch would be staggering a mind that is still in the process of forming, to explain to them that these beings are responsible for the transformation into a near perfect warrior would naturally create a psychological conditioning where said individual would see this being as his father, because they are literally reborn through their genetics.

The problem with this is that you are fundamentally creating a creature that is not human in the strictest sense. We have many examples were Astartes are unable to understand basic human etiquette or humor, even more examples where standard conversation is as alien to them as a xenos tongue. In the process of protecting humanity, the Emperor manufactured something that doesn't fully grasp humanity. Yes they are our defenders of that there is no doubt, but did anyone ever bother to wonder why Chaos always manages to seep in and claim more and more of these warriors? The answer is simple, the age when an aspirant is selected is a time when morality, ethics and even culture are continually introduced to them. Once you deprive an human being of that and link them to a strict pseudo-culture they will always be unsure of what they truly are. Naturally they will know no fear, but they will also fail to grasp a myriad of balancing human emotions.

The actual biological modification process is truly miraculous, just think of the number of grafts and organs introduced into a still developing system. All these things are designed to make a nearly unstoppable killing machine, be it a secondary heart, the ability to spit acid, even the ability to obtain the memories of the dead from consuming their tissue. In many ways this becomes the most dangerous aspect of the Adeptus Astartes conditioning, not because of the possibility of rejection, although that happens often enough, no it;s the temporal difference this creates between humans and trans-humans. Astartes are functionally immortal, that means they can and in some cases do live for thousands of years. This again creates a very dangerous difference between a human being and a space marine, once they undergo the augmentations they view baseline humans as "mortals", that word in itself is very dangerous because the basic meaning behind it is that an Astartes is beyond us, more than mortal. While accurate in purely a biological perspective it also grants the idea that baseline human lives rarely matter. This of course varies from chapter to chapter, with extremes going in both directions such as the Vlka Fenryka and the Salamanders to the Iron hands and the Marines Malevolent.

We must also consider how baseline humans view Astartes, they are literally seen as the angels of the Emperor, across the Imperium viewed as lords and demi-gods, does it really surprise anyone why this occurs? the answer harkens back to the time of the great crusade and the Horus heresy. We have heard the term transhuman dread thrown around in various heresy novels. The concept that the human mind was not ready to accept such creatures that seeing them move or act instantly halted our fight or flight responses leaving humans little better than target practice. This can also relate to another idea "Transhuman Awe" by which I mean that humans naturally become completely enraptured by the idea that this giant is here to protect them. From our own cultures we have encountered stories where people feel a sense of awe when dealing with someone who has great gifts or a physical presence that cannot be matched, now amplify that to 7.5 or 8 feet and add on enough armor and weapons to depopulate entire cities in minutes.

The question then becomes why are such thing required. If humanity was truly worthy of inheriting the stars, why did it need to build such warriors. there are several trains of thought that come to mind with this. One is that unmodified humans are simply not truly capable of standing up to what the universe has in store. The other argument is that because we have advanced to a point where we can manufacture such creatures we now have the right to unleash them. I'm sure we can all see the problem with that particular argument, however in terms of propaganda it is a near perfect one to make. My view is more akin to the former, the galaxy is vast and in truth the threats that constantly emerge can and do annihilate baseline forces. The Adeptus Astartes basic lack of humanity allows them to defend us because most of the weaknesses have been bred out of them. This does not make them perfect it merely makes them extremely viable and efficient killers.

I am certain the Emperor knew there were threats that humans would not be able to comprehend, be it the warp or extra-galactic invaders, we needed the Astartes because of an inherent weakness in our species. We needed monsters to save us from worse monsters. The horror of the situation is humanity put their faith in these bio-weapons never fully realizing that the lack of the basic characteristics that make us human would be the downfall of many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

:same:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Our reality balls touched.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
I'm glad GW worked out what their audience wanted and released a 5 inch tall beefcake kit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
wait wheres the nipple horns??

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is the Rad Thread. The Death Thread is the old Dead Thread, but I guess now it's an Undead Thread?

The Tomb Kings thread became the new Mantis undead thread and then I got confused

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

evilmiera posted:

The Tomb Kings thread became the new Mantis undead thread and then I got confused

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 8, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Undead Threads tend to lose their plots.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

drat mantids are bad rear end

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FiestaNinja posted:

I'm glad GW worked out what their audience wanted and released a 5 inch tall beefcake kit.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/834153375101046784

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No visible testicles. Other companies have them beat. GW not king of the hill no more.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
more like Games Twerkshop!

hahaha

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Moola posted:

more like Games Twerkshop!

hahaha

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shake shake shake
Shake shake shake
Shake Roboute

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Shake shake shake
Shake shake shake
Shake Roboute

:vomarine:
:yosbutt:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm the rear end with the Khornate frat mark.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm the rear end with the Khornate frat mark.

Best spring break EVER

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So I realized that the car we bought off of a dying uncle a few months back is Space Wolf Gray. Anybody know where I could find some Space Wolf car decals? Two color high res images would work too, Ma-in-law can print white decals.

TLDR backstory: He's dead now, and itr wqas really his wifes car, who died a couple of years ago. Car is 5 years old and has less than 25k miles. Score. It's my wifes relatives so I can be pretty callous about it.+

DiHK fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 9, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

DiHK posted:

So I realized that the car we bought off of a dying uncle a few months back is Space Wolf Gray. Anybody know where I could find some Space Wolf car decals? Two color high res images would work too, Ma-in-law can print white decals.

TLDR backstory: He's dead now, and itr wqas really his wifes car, who died a couple of years ago. Car is 5 years old and has less than 25k miles. Score. It's my wifes relatives so I can be pretty callous about it.

youre a loving gross person

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I gave that family a little bit more than blue book value for that vehicle. And IRL i would never talk about it like that. My wife was very close with the aunt whose car that was and she was a very nice person. We both regret that she never met her great-nephew. Her husband was a alcoholic ex-navy man, he was a good dude and suffered a terrible slow demise at the hands of big C.

However this is a death thread in goonland. Do you need me to hold your loving hand through the nice bits or can I just talk about my space wolf car without emotion you candy rear end. :frogout:

E: says the fucktard who has a hitler loving some dudes rear end in his loving av

DiHK fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 9, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought this was the w40k 8th edition thread.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DiHK posted:

I gave that family a little bit more than blue book value for that vehicle. And IRL i would never talk about it like that. My wife was very close with the aunt whose car that was and she was a very nice person. We both regret that she never met her great-nephew. Her husband was a alcoholic ex-navy man, he was a good dude and suffered a terrible slow demise at the hands of big C.

However this is a death thread in goonland. Do you need me to hold your loving hand through the nice bits or can I just talk about my space wolf car without emotion you candy rear end. :frogout:

E: says the fucktard who has a hitler loving some dudes rear end in his loving av

:shittypop:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Xarbala posted:

I thought this was the w40k 8th edition thread.

It's the 8th Editlon thread.

Skeleton.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its the weird meltdown thread

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Moola posted:

its the weird meltdown thread

I melted down.

Apparently my reactor rejects beer as a cooling mechanic. But I'm not sure about this so let me get another beer and test this theory further.

E: I'd also like to note that my boss has gotten on to me about having SA threads up where some douche bags hitler AV is visible. Hitler is a loving joke to some of you dick wads and yet I'm the gross dude. :goon:

DiHK fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 9, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Homey the gross part is the space wolves

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DiHK posted:

I melted down.

Apparently my reactor rejects beer as a cooling mechanic. But I'm not sure about this so let me get another beer and test this theory further.

E: I'd also like to note that my boss has gotten on to me about having SA threads up where some douche bags hitler AV is visible. Hitler is a loving joke to some of you dick wads and yet I'm the gross dude. :goon:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

That's Putin right? What a glorious leader.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DiHK posted:

I melted down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DiHK posted:

Nice meltdown

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I'm the Hitlercock

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

No1curr

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Is that the slogan of the silent majority? "Not one curr"? Like "No child left behind"? Still miles ahead of Bush.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

youre a loving gross person

He cared?

soooooo, now I know what :goon: does.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Are we splitting down arbitrary heresy lines already?

So soon.

Figures it's the loving space wolves player screwing everything up.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

18 pages in?

Also I play Blood Angels.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

18 pages in?

Usually a chill thread can go dozens of pages before some unchill dude starts getting salty over nothing.

quote:

lmao

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

Usually a chill thread can go dozens of pages before some unchill dude starts getting salty over nothing.

I'm p sure I could debunk the gently caress out of that if I cared enough to go thread diving.

'Lotta goons are touchy snowflakes. Myself included.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

DiHK posted:

18 pages in?

poo poo, I started with BA.

Brother against brother.

Grim. Dark.

In other news:
Holy cow, after taking a (decade long) break from 40k and diving into some other systems, is it just me or are 40k players the most melty snowflakes out there?

e: like, a leaked pic of the new DG tank has just lead to a million 'what is this disgusting garbage that I will boycott GW over?!?' posts across every FB group.

• Locked thread