Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Just caught up a couple of issues of Injustice I was behind on.

Is there any universe where Green Arrow and Black Canary's wedding goes smoothly?

Nope.

Where does Injustice Ground Zero fit in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean like timeline wise? It's the game's storyline from Harley's perspective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

You mean like timeline wise? It's the game's storyline from Harley's perspective.

Does the game end with a bunch of alternate versions crossing over?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You haven't played the game?

Not ends. Starts. Injustice 1 is all about Injustice Batman transporting a bunch of basically-but-not-Earth-1/Prime Earth/New Earth/Whatever it was called at the time heroes to help take down Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah never played it. But there was a damaged copy of the first book a few months back so I read it and ended up reading the while series. Then I get to GZ and it ends with Harley sitting on a bench telling other Harley what all went down or something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Nah never played it. But there was a damaged copy of the first book a few months back so I read it and ended up reading the while series. Then I get to GZ and it ends with Harley sitting on a bench telling other Harley what all went down or something.

People have turned the cutscenes (and a bit of game footage) into a ~2 hour long movie on Youtube.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People have turned the cutscenes (and a bit of game footage) into a ~2 hour long movie on Youtube.

Oooh, good idea. I will look for that. Thanks dude!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't mind the Superman fill-in issue. It helps that it feels like a natural part of the run and fits in with the themes about fatherhood that's been going on with the Superman series before now.

War of the Jokes and the Riddles, however, I don't know what to think. Maybe it's because I just really want to see Batman and Catwoman's relationship develop from where the last arc left off, but this arc isn't really grabbing me from the onset.

Green Arrow was solid, and I think what somebody said before this new Deathstroke arc started is pretty much spot on. If anybody but Christopher Priest was writing it, I'd definitely be put off by it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kirkham draws the Outlaws hilariously young

And hey,turns out the big bad of the annual will be KGBeast

Color me surprised.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did KGBeast appear in a lot of stuff before showing up in ASB? I've read a ton of Batman over the past year or so and I've yet to see him anywhere.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kirkham draws the Outlaws hilariously young

GI Joe, the Hulk, and the latest Conan love interest go for a swim.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fadam posted:

Did KGBeast appear in a lot of stuff before showing up in ASB? I've read a ton of Batman over the past year or so and I've yet to see him anywhere.

He showed up here and there over the years on secondary roles. Off the top of my mind, he helped Bane to escape Blackgate after Knightfall, appeared as henchman of Lock Up during No man's land and then he was killed during One Year Later and then became a Black Lantern during Blackest Night.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Roth posted:

War of the Jokes and the Riddles, however, I don't know what to think. Maybe it's because I just really want to see Batman and Catwoman's relationship develop from where the last arc left off, but this arc isn't really grabbing me from the onset.
It's horrible and for the life of me I cannot understand how "hey, let's follow up a huge news-making cliffhanger that's never been done in the literal history of Batman and will draw tons of fan attention with a flashback story about that time the Joker and the Riddler had a gang war and Batman was totally useless or something" seemed like a good idea to Tom King in the first place, and how it wasn't laughed out of the room by editorial.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

It's horrible and for the life of me I cannot understand how "hey, let's follow up a huge news-making cliffhanger that's never been done in the literal history of Batman and will draw tons of fan attention with a flashback story about that time the Joker and the Riddler had a gang war and Batman was totally useless or something" seemed like a good idea to Tom King in the first place, and how it wasn't laughed out of the room by editorial.

It could be a way to workshop how to properly develop a Bruce/Selina engagement, using this pointless past arc, to have this not suck and work. Maybe? Bleach manga and Naruto and other manga would do poo poo like that all the time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved the first WOJ+R issue. The second wasn't as strong, but I can hold off on the superhero wedding of the century.
Remember we're getting an issue dedicated to Kite-Man's origin in this thing :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

fadam posted:

I imagine BVS and Arrow have slightly increased his profile.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah and the old Batman show would always end with them in mortal danger and you'd have to wait until next week to even find out if Batman was going to survive! I can't believe anybody watched this show

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Personally I'm dead sick and tired of Joker just being able to walts anywhere he loving wants and murder whoever or whatever without any god drat consequences. Just...stop. He's not cool, he's not scary, it's just annoying.

Unrelated, but I was rereading some of Morrisons JLA run, and good lord is the art atrocious. Characters doing these weird as gently caress poses that are supposed to look dynamic but end up looking really silly, the action scenes are hard to follow and everything just looks plain bad. It's a shame because it really hampers an amazing story.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So how do you want the Joker portrayed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd prefer he just not show up for awhile.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm not sold on darkening The Riddler in this story with question mark scarification, but I think this is completely the best Joker since the start of the N52.
A miserable fledgling comedian, lashing out cause he cant find his sense of humour is a good take for the start of his spree.
I dunno why you'd want him to get what's coming to him in issue two of the long arc that's meant to establish him as a serial killer.
(edit: Not wanting the storyline at all doesn't count.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 10, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I miss that Riddler between when Ystin bashes his skull in and him going insane again and murdering his daughter, Enigma Enigma.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd the Riddler basically jigsaw now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was more Jigsaw'y in Zero Year, ruling over Gotham with booby traps from a big video screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He seemed a bit jigsawy in the All Star "color wheel" backup.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Just saying if you're upset every time the joker shows up, maybe you should take a break from Batman for a bit?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Norns posted:

So how do you want the Joker portrayed?

Well first of all, we start to have his efforts to kill people fail

And then we focus on how he can break and influence people psychologically

save the part where he causes people to actually die for significant moments

also have him throw a drat pie or something

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pie would be a solid plus I agree

So really y'all just want the Snyder out of joker?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't actually read a Batman comic since Death of the Family.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't actually read a Batman comic since Death of the Family.

But Joker appearances you're not reading really bother you?

I mean I guess I sorta feel that way about Red Hood.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Norns posted:

I'm a little behind on Batman but the only time I really liked Snyder's Joker was in Black Mirror.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just want the Joker to be funny again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It seems like it's been a while since Joker was about laughs? He wasn't particularly funny in Morrison's run either.

Do any of you have examples of Jokers you like?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Norns posted:

It seems like it's been a while since Joker was about laughs? He wasn't particularly funny in Morrison's run either.

The Animated Series Joker is generally pretty good. He can be genuinely menacing as hell but rather than being menacing because he's killing tons of people it's because he's unpredictable and petty and childish and nasty. The idea of him running into a guy on the road and just stalking that poor bastard is a lot more frightening than "and he killed a million billion people." On the reverse side the BTAS Joker also was allowed to fail, be shown up, be mistaken, be sort of pathetic, and his mask would slip from time to time and show how badly he takes his failures in a way that oddly humanized him.

If Joker has to be reoccurring he needs to be a character. Too many people want him to be a Force Of Nature but also showing up constantly and that gets boring.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, if he kills someone I'd rather it be with an electric buzzer in his hand, or a selzer bottle full of poison, or a boxing gloves with a horseshoe in it, rather than mutilating folks with knives or whatever. Even a gun with a flag that says bang, and then stab them with the flag.

When the joker shows up, it should be like you show up for your dental appointment, the dentist is facing away scrubbing up making small talk, and then he turns around and boom it's the joker. He doesn't necessarily kill you or even torture you, he uses laughing gas and gets the information he wants, maybe even cleans your teeth, but you're loving terrified.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Norns posted:

It's not just Snyder. This is an aspect of his character that has slowly been infesting his character, and nay, the villain communities of most major comic publishers in general

Think about how many supervillains in the Big Two have body counts in the double digits

Murder is an overused plot element that has long since lost its teeth as far as superhero comics go.

EDIT - I mean, it's not DC, but we live in a reality where at least three members of Spider-man's rogues gallery are freaking cannibals. God drat.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 10, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I wasn't even thinking about the animated Joker. But hell, yeah bring that joker into the books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Norns posted:

The Joker in Arkham Knight is the best version of the character in years.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Joker in Arkham Knight is the best version of the character in years.

I enjoyed that as well. Shame that loving game had to much batmobile. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Animated Joker really is the best take on the character, isn't he?

What's the closest version of the Joker in the comics to the animated Joker? Aside from the TAS tie-in comics, of course.