Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MechaX posted:

Summoner is going to take a lot more than buffs to alleviate a lot of the problems people are having with it. They should have just made the class use Stands/Personas at this point; there is a precedent in the series for that since Yuna in Dissidia cycled through her story-line summons for individual attacks. But I don't think the team really knows what to do with SMN or how they should really proceed with it.

I wonder to what degree Summoner's issues can be blamed on sharing a base class with Scholar.

It'd be great if they separated them, made Summoner an actual Summoner, and then added a dedicated DoT-based caster of some kind, though I could imagine people who leveled Summoner because it was a DoT caster would be pretty pissed about that, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

MechaX posted:

Summoner is going to take a lot more than buffs to alleviate a lot of the problems people are having with it. They should have just made the class use Stands/Personas at this point; there is a precedent in the series for that since Yuna in Dissidia cycled through her story-line summons for individual attacks. But I don't think the team really knows what to do with SMN or how they should really proceed with it.

I could see something where you take an aspect of a summon for a couple of minutes at a time. Say, start with Garuda and cast wind spells to build to a Summon Garuda finisher, then switch to Titan and cast earth spells, etc. Right now it still feels like a watered down WoW warlock.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

Is this one of those "Red Mage is cruisin' for a nerf" situations, or a "Black Mage and Summoner are really due for a buff" situation? I haven't played enough to know how SE usually approaches big balance patches.

I don't think it's so much that RDM's damage isn't reasonable where it is, it's just that the other casters are not dealing a sufficiently larger amount of damage to compensate for their lesser ability to adjust for mechanics. Given that melee DPS are still well ahead of RDM as far as I know?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is there a consensus on the proper war rotation? also, levelling crafters

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I don't think it's so much that RDM's damage isn't reasonable where it is, it's just that the other casters are not dealing a sufficiently larger amount of damage to compensate for their lesser ability to adjust for mechanics. Given that melee DPS are still well ahead of RDM as far as I know?

Going by this FFLogs report, RDM is second overall, behind only SAM, and just barely above MNK: https://www.fflogs.com/statistics/15#bracket=1

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Velthice posted:

I absolutely wouldn't spam it, since your mp pool is your damage, and draining that seriously sabotages the damage you can put out. It's also not strong enough to rely on by itself, only giving you around a 10k shield with full vit. best use imo is for when you know you're gonna get a big hit, a tank buster or something similar (susie ex's cleaves in phase 1) on top of another cooldown.

Still though, the only thing you have to watch out for is making sure you never cap out on mp, and making sure you have enough mp to da carve and spit as soon as it comes off cooldown. as long as you follow those basic rules, you'll be fine.

Edit: oh yea, don't cap out on blood, that's another good reason not to spam blackest night

With the Bloodspiller buff, TDN is a damage increase over using that mp on DA. So as long as you aren't overflowing blood or delaying DA Carve and Spit, anytime you can reliably get the shield to break is a good time to use TDN.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

WrightOfWay posted:

With the Bloodspiller buff, TDN is a damage increase over using that mp on DA. So as long as you aren't overflowing blood or delaying DA Carve and Spit, anytime you can reliably get the shield to break is a good time to use TDN.

that makes sense

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Farg posted:

I'm still leveling warrior myself (level 30 woo) so I don't know really, but I'm gonna guess the proper rotation is "roll PLD"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Farg posted:

also, levelling crafters

What level are your crafters?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Farg posted:

also, levelling crafters

Leves:
+ fast, moderate price
- limited by # of leves

GC turn ins:
+ tons of exp
= prices can vary between super cheap and super expensive
- once per day

Collectibles:
+fast, no limit to number you do
- probably the most expensive way to level, outside of filling out crafting log. choices for crafting only rotate once a day.

tl;dr: do GC turn ins once a day, do leves until you're out, use collectibles to go the distance if you can't wait. if you can wait for it, moogle tribe 2.0 will be the way to go.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Farg posted:

Step 1: Roll PLD.
Step 2: There is no step 2.

On the off chance that you are committed to swinging huge loving axes til you die like I am, while tanking you're looking at:

* Keep Eye rolling
* use Onslaught on CD
* use Upheaval on CD
* use Berserk on CD
* use Unchained on CD
* use Upheaval on CD
* use Infuriate on CD
* make sure you keep about 50 gauge reserved for Inner Beast mitigation reasons.
* use Equilibrium during Berserk for extra threat and healing
* use Path as much as possible because it gains you more gauge than Block

While DPSing, it's worse:

* Keep Eye rolling
* Gauge to 90
* refresh Eye
* Heavy Swing, Maim, do not complete.
* Berserk, Inner Release (order is important)
* Fell Cleave, Fell Cleave
* Path
* Infuriate
* Fell Cleave, Fell Cleave, Fell Cleave, Fell Cleave
* Quickly combo to Maim
* Upheaval just before Inner Release falls off. (so you can use Upheaval with only 10 bar instead of 20.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 10, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Paladin is just so much better and more fun to play than Warrior right now, and I say that as someone who enjoys swinging big axes around. I swapped to leveling it instead, and honestly it plays a lot more like Heavensward WAR (both in style and soloability/survivability) than WAR itself does right now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Step 1: Roll PLD.
* Keep Eye rolling

idk what this is about but I want to believe it means to keep doing :rolleyes: irl

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I don't really care what's best, because Warrior has always been my thing and we're gonna stay buddies even through the bad times.

But more importantly, Dorgono is adorable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mazed posted:

I don't really care what's best, because Warrior has always been my thing and we're gonna stay buddies even through the bad times.

But more importantly, Dorgono is adorable.

A goon playing a catgirl in the shisui set.

Shocking.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It strikes me as really strange that half the job roster has had fantastic improvements, design-wise (ignoring numbers), and the other half has had endless complaints about the design and flow of their jobs (even for the jobs that parse well like SMN/SCH).

Who exactly are Square-Enix assigning to job design and balance?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

hobbesmaster posted:

A goon playing a catgirl in the shisui set

I regret nothing

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
I'm really enjoying the blm numbers but drat if I'm not sucking when having to move through mechanics, I'm debating if I should try to find another dps thats more mobile.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hobbesmaster posted:

Shocking.

:jerkbag:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

For Inner Release phases, I think it's better to build to 100 and use Berserk/IR between Heavy Swing and Maim. It's the same potency as the earlier listed one, but starting after Heavy Swing lets you fit all 6 Fell Cleaves plus Upheaval in the first 8 GCDs of your Berserk window so if you gently caress up and lose a GCD you are only losing Heavy Swing rather than Maim + Upheaval.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Minrad posted:

Leves:
+ fast, moderate price
- limited by # of leves

GC turn ins:
+ tons of exp
= prices can vary between super cheap and super expensive
- once per day

Collectibles:
+fast, no limit to number you do
- probably the most expensive way to level, outside of filling out crafting log. choices for crafting only rotate once a day.

tl;dr: do GC turn ins once a day, do leves until you're out, use collectibles to go the distance if you can't wait. if you can wait for it, moogle tribe 2.0 will be the way to go.

Also:

Do CUL entirely through collectables, to save leves for other crafts. It's the only craft where doing so is truly cost effective so you might as well.

CUL is cheap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hobbesmaster posted:

Shocking.

I play roegadame in the shisui set on at least one class and u can't stop me

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Malthuras posted:

I'm really enjoying the blm numbers but drat if I'm not sucking when having to move through mechanics, I'm debating if I should try to find another dps thats more mobile.

BLM is actually not that bad about moving if you know it's coming and can save Triple/Swift or you can learn to slidecast. The big thing that's been annoying me is the unpredictable 'gently caress you, you don't get to do anything for 10 seconds' in stuff like Susano EX.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I use the Shisui pants on my drg because they have stockings that display well with sandals. I wear a top that covers the weird skirt/underwear thing though

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I wear what I want because wearing cute clothes in this anime video game makes me feel cute. Thank you for reading.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

I thought people were estimating RDM as middle of the pack in terms of DPS? Is it just that all the other casters actually ended up lower?

TBH it's really hard to "gently caress up" the RDM rotation to the point where even if you are doing it wrong you'll still be within 10% of a person doing it fairly well. Like the worst thing you can do is drastically unbalance your mana, and even that can generally be fixed in 2-3 GCD's. It's also the most mobile caster

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

vOv posted:

I wear what I want because wearing cute clothes in this anime video game makes me feel cute. Thank you for reading.

Qft

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
As much armor/as big hats as possible.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCp-FoOpc_U

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I made some horrible mspaint estimates to peg the Doman wall as being around 2,000 feet tall. Give or take a few hundred thanks to some water shifting and eyeballed mspaint placement.

(I couldn't fit the whole drat wall in one image but the little statue at the top keeps going for a while.)

the scale of walls (looking at you, ala mhigan border) and some of the bigger buildings in this game is so :psyduck: even by fantasy standards. The other biggest fantasy wall I can think of would be like, the ice wall in Game of Thrones, which is 700 feet tall and 300 miles long.

For comparison with Actual Buildings Humans Made, The Great Wall of China is uh, 25-30 feet tall at most. The Pyramids at Giza are 455 feet tall. The Sears Tower, at the peak of its antenna, would be dwarfed in both height, width, and length by the doman wall.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Saint Freak posted:

Uh if you want the chance at adventurers that can come from guildhests challenges like Careless Whisper.
The Roegadame Rogue? I recruited her off of some random challenge earlier this week, but it certainly wasn't a guildhest.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Aliens built the doman wall

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

please knock Mom! posted:

Aliens built the doman wall

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

THe problem with skimpy clothing in this game is that not enough of it is on male catgirls

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't expect big sweeping changes 4.00 was the initial class changes, 4.01 is hotfixes for big immediate complaints, and 4.05 is theoretically meant to be for proper fixes to some 4.00 changes right?

Like I don't expect "all tanks are now as great as paladin" but more along the lines of "you're now as potent as paladin but your rotation will still be a bit awkward".

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Shisui set isn't awful, but the only way it could more obviously lingerie is if the chest piece was a teddy.

Lotts weird non-roe things that pop up throughout the video.

Also the 60 SAM quest is pretty funny if you turn your weapon off.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 10, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Shisui set was just a way to give cute swimsuits to everyone now that you can swim.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I don't expect big sweeping changes 4.00 was the initial class changes, 4.01 is hotfixes for big immediate complaints, and 4.05 is theoretically meant to be for proper fixes to some 4.00 changes right?

Like I don't expect "all tanks are now as great as paladin" but more along the lines of "you're now as potent as paladin but your rotation will still be a bit awkward".

There might be some QoL changes, like maybe bringing sustain back, but yeah basically. Here was 3.05

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/44dbad853713a8b307cc4745b8d28688cb23af11

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Shisui set was just a way to give cute swimsuits to everyone now that you can swim.

There are already actual swimsuits and the shisui set doesn't really look very swimsuity

It's okay to say that the Shisui set exists because people want to dress their cats in skimpy outfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
A dyeable Shisui set will come out in a later patch as crafted gear and the marketboard will literally explode.