Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Vengeance Factor. Who threw a green gel of the lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The way the flashlights are shining makes it look like it's actually green lighting. Whoops.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I love Data's rare feats of superhuman strength (and this one also humiliates Worf, like everything in the universe)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard just told some aliens that "despite their progress, they will remain a divided society" until a splinter pillaging group called the Gatherers returns to them. That seems like a weird, non-progressive thing for him to say.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I was just thinking about how this episode's boring but then they went to a cool abandoned industrial nighttime set

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Phrases you never thought would be said bad-assedly

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The set, soundtrack, and studded leather outfits the Gatherers have all combine to make this scene extremely eighties (yes I know it aired in the early 90s).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I love Data's rare feats of superhuman strength (and this one also humiliates Worf, like everything in the universe)

You've figured out Worf's role on TNG, to get jobbed by everyone.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In that episode with all the alternate universes we know that we can't have been following Prime Worf because he would never win a fighting contest

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Like fuses, certain engineering tech has been lost
For some reason LaForge just keeps misplacing these magnetic suction components.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't decide whether the main Gatherer guy's bad acting is funny or obnoxious.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The conversation between Riker and Attractive Sheltered Young Alien Woman felt like it went on for hours.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A feminine voiced just called out "Yuta" and the fact that the guard's in the center of the shot, and Marouk's not facing the camera but he is, made me think it must have been him and it made me laugh. Also his expression.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

In that episode with all the alternate universes we know that we can't have been following Prime Worf because he would never win a fighting contest

It was only against other Klingons. Worf's always the best Klingon, it's just that the whole species exists to get beaten up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

No

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lmao

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard's uncharacteristically throwing his weight around. He just forced the Gatherer ship to talk to him by taking our their shields, now he's gonna forcibly beam onboard and keep them at gunpoint so they can't do anything.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay, the fact that the Gatherer head honcho is acting the same as the lower guy makes me think they were just directed that way and it's not the actors' fault.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The set, soundtrack, and studded leather outfits the Gatherers have all combine to make this scene extremely eighties (yes I know it aired in the early 90s).

Well, the end of 1989.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Apparently there's no phaser setting between "cause someone to step back for a second" and "disintegrate utterly"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That episode had some good moments but everything was mostly under-developed and dull. Even the climax was dull.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Apparently there's no phaser setting between "cause someone to step back for a second" and "disintegrate utterly"

Riker doesn't gently caress around with any of those medium settings. All or nothing. The Riker Way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard just told some aliens that "despite their progress, they will remain a divided society" until a splinter pillaging group called the Gatherers returns to them. That seems like a weird, non-progressive thing for him to say.

Worse than the Borg.

(Spoiler for DS9, I suppose.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And beaming her directly to the brig was not an option, I guess.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Mister Kingdom posted:

He ramped it up to setting 16 too, good thing he didn't miss.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mister Kingdom posted:

They tried to but Chief O'Brien couldn't get a lock because it was a bit windy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The best thing is that nobody told the actors what would be, conceptually, happening in front of them. So the chick is being redistributed into the nearby air, and everyone is just casually sitting there, ho-hum about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean there are other settings, they just always miss with them.

Also it's always really funny to me that there's absolutely no standardization between alien weapons. The cast always talks about phaser settings and it comes up in a few other things (the Veron T and stuff like that), but it's always a guessing game with how bad one of the good guys in Star Trek got shot unless they're vaporized. This disruptor only stuns guys, I swear!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phasers tend to be inconsistent. It gets established that you can overload phasers to basically create a bomb but it doesn't come up nearly as often as you would think.

Just watched a DS9 episode where some Trill guy shoots the Chief in the shoulder with a phaser on what seems to be maximum and that basically just lightly burns him

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

All the alcohol helps create a protective barrier around him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Phaser fire can't melt plot armor

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kelvin Timeline fashion > Prime universe fashion

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jeb! Repetition posted:

A feminine voiced just called out "Yuta" and the fact that the guard's in the center of the shot, and Marouk's not facing the camera but he is, made me think it must have been him and it made me laugh. Also his expression.

I'm almost positive that pyramid is a room ionizer I had in my room as a child. Thing did loving nothing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Phasers tend to be inconsistent. It gets established that you can overload phasers to basically create a bomb but it doesn't come up nearly as often as you would think.

Just watched a DS9 episode where some Trill guy shoots the Chief in the shoulder with a phaser on what seems to be maximum and that basically just lightly burns him

Remember when zats were introduced in SG-1, their settings were something like "one shot to kill, two shots to completely disintegrate"? Sort of weird in retrospect, given how quickly they dropped that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One shot stunned, the 2nd shot killed, the 3rd totally got rid of the body. Later on they made fun of this by characters being confused/worried how long the window is between shots. Like if you shoot a guy and stun him then try to stun him before he fully wakes up will that kill them or just re-stun them? Sometimes they need to get rid of bodies/evidence so use the 3 shots but again, how long do you have? How does it even loving work? No one knows and it's stupid and they just celebrate it because SG-1 is rad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

I'm almost positive that pyramid is a room ionizer I had in my room as a child. Thing did loving nothing.

Nope! Bandai Game Pyramid.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/present-day-devices.htm

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

One shot stunned, the 2nd shot killed, the 3rd totally got rid of the body. Later on they made fun of this by characters being confused/worried how long the window is between shots. Like if you shoot a guy and stun him then try to stun him before he fully wakes up will that kill them or just re-stun them? Sometimes they need to get rid of bodies/evidence so use the 3 shots but again, how long do you have? How does it even loving work? No one knows and it's stupid and they just celebrate it because SG-1 is rad.

"We could always go back to the way it was in the script."
"No, we can't. We've already established that one shot stuns and two shots kills, and Victor shot everybody twice."
"So three shots disintegrates them?"
"I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that, because that is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

WampaLord posted:

I've heard that when Dorn signed on to DS9, he had a contract clause stipulating that they had to make Worf more badass.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WampaLord posted:

Imagine if they'd given that role to Wesley. There's another timeline where Shut Up Wesley became his entire character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hiddenriverninja posted:

Kelvin Timeline fashion > Prime universe fashion

I think the only space shows with worse fashion than Star Trek are in Britain, where high budget meant actually cracking open a can of real film.