Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Febreeze posted:

So basically you self redzone it in a search to find something interesting. Eh. gently caress wild endings are great but the payoff doesn't feel as good if you dont watch the whole game before it. So much of college is just unwatchable, at least bad pro ball still feels like it has merit at times, and there are fewer games to flip between to find something worth seeing.

I've never really understood the redzone mentality of football watching. I find sticking with the narrative of a single game much more interesting than a contextless reel of highlight plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Febreeze posted:

I like no defense when both teams can score at will, but in college it's typically just one team steamrolling the other

The big 12 is always a shootout baby

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also reminder that if you watch college sports you are implicitly endorsing slavery

*woke*

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

iospace posted:

College football is great when you work at a place with TVs all over and you want an excuse to not put cable news channels on.

Probably the best reason listed so far, even over alma mater.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never really understood the redzone mentality of football watching. I find sticking with the narrative of a single game much more interesting than a contextless reel of highlight plays

:same:

Plus, they show in game highlights anyways of most games and why do I care if loving Cleveland or Jacksonville is in the red zone? I don't really want to see them stall inside the 10 and kick a FG.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also reminder that if you watch college sports you are implicitly endorsing slavery

*woke*

As opposed to endorsing gladiatorial combat in general by watching football period.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

When you watch football you're really just watching a bunch of really drawn out versions of Taxi Driver

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
ONE CITY.

ONE TEAM.

AZTECS BITCH.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

ONE CITY.

ONE TEAM.

AZTECS BITCH.

I'm pretty excited to see what Kazee does at the next level.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

I'm pretty excited to see what Kazee does at the next level.

Same. I'd like us to have pro athletes we can be proud of outside of Gwynn, Strasburg, Marshall Faulk, and Kawhi

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Same. I'd like us to have pro athletes we can be proud of outside of Gwynn, Strasburg, Marshall Faulk, and Kawhi

I mean...that's a pretty goddamned strong list, although short. When Strasburg is the weak point you have some bragging to do.

I guess that's what you were doing anyway, but I'm impressed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I mean...that's a pretty goddamned strong list, although short. When Strasburg is the weak point you have some bragging to do.

I guess that's what you were doing anyway, but I'm impressed.

My point is it's those four and literally no one else in sports history.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The difference between college and the NFL is that you root for a team in the NFL. In college football, I don't give a poo poo if the Gators win, but if Georgia or FSU lose in any fashion my week is loving made. Its not about wanting a team to win, its about wanting your rivals to lose and maybe even die horribly.

Now, if you are watching football for the actual play on the field, college is fun because of the sheer variety and sometimes batshit crazyness of the offenses and it works. Yes, there is talent disparity, but that is what makes it fun to watch. Watching a next level WR clown a bunch of guys is super fun. Yeah, it sucks when one team is blowing out another, but its super fun to watch 11 guys try to tackle Cam or Tebow or even Manziel and looking like they are on skates.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

swickles posted:

The difference between college and the NFL is that you root for a team in the NFL. In college football, I don't give a poo poo if the Gators win, but if Georgia or FSU lose in any fashion my week is loving made. Its not about wanting a team to win, its about wanting your rivals to lose and maybe even die horribly.

Now, if you are watching football for the actual play on the field, college is fun because of the sheer variety and sometimes batshit crazyness of the offenses and it works. Yes, there is talent disparity, but that is what makes it fun to watch. Watching a next level WR clown a bunch of guys is super fun. Yeah, it sucks when one team is blowing out another, but its super fun to watch 11 guys try to tackle Cam or Tebow or even Manziel and looking like they are on skates.

Every time the Bears, Vikings, Lions, or Patriots lose, I'm happy.

I get the same thing with other sports too (gently caress the Cubs especially).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the secret to enjoying any sport is to pick someone to love and someone to loving hate

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the secret to enjoying any sport is to pick someone to love and someone to loving hate

BYU :argh:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But what do you do when the same team occupies both? :ohdear:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like for example, I cannot stand baseball but if I have to watch it gently caress the Cards

NASCAR is arguably the best sport to hate watch

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like for example, I cannot stand baseball but if I have to watch it gently caress the Cards

NASCAR is arguably the best sport to hate watch

If NASCAR drives acted like pro wrestlers I would totally watch it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

swickles posted:

Tony Stewart basically does.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

swickles posted:

They totally do

The Busch brothers are absolute heels for example

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They totally do

The Busch brothers are absolute heels for example

Mel, watch Indy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

swickles posted:

They sort of do? You'll occasionally get fights between drivers on track.

Flikken posted:

Mel, watch Indy.

Also this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Flikken posted:

Mel, watch Indy.

Right turns are haram

Hell, NASCAR is so pro wrestling most of the heel drivers have cheating managers who distract the refs

Don't get me started on Chad Knaus

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Right turns are haram

Hell, NASCAR is so pro wrestling most of the heel drivers have cheating managers who distract the refs

You know Indy is like half Ovals right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Right turns are haram

Indy just got done racing at the oval in Iowa :colbert:

Which the Cup refuses to race at because ~reasons~.

Flikken posted:

Closer to a third, really. Phoenix, Indy, Texas, Iowa, Pocono, Gateway.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Flikken posted:

CLEARLY I DONT

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking about it some more, Penn State really just killed off any ability I had to watch college football.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The best part is when NASCAR does road courses and the whole race is dominated by these European ringers brought in by the cheaper teams who aren't competing for points

Road courses have kept Boris Said employed for decades

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Yes, there is talent disparity, but that is what makes it fun to watch. Watching a next level WR clown a bunch of guys is super fun. Yeah, it sucks when one team is blowing out another, but its super fun to watch 11 guys try to tackle Cam or Tebow or even Manziel and looking like they are on skates.

This works in the other direction too. Collin Klein at Kansas State being an NCAA superstar playing with a bunch of 2 star recruits and dominating, every other year when Navy has a bunch of guys who wouldn't make another FBS team grinding out a win against Notre Dame or whoever. The wackiness of the whole thing is appealing.

2001 Miami, the most dominant college team in history or #2 at the least to '95 Nebraska (probably not), they damned near lost to VIrginia Tech that year. Which, yeah nobody's perfect, but we can compare who was on that 2001 Miami team to who was on VT. Portis, Gore, McGahee, Andre Johnson, Shockey against Kevin Jones on offense from names I recognize, with Bryant McKinnie blocking for them. Also that Miami team recorded a touchdown in the NFL every week from the next year to something like 2014.

That's before we get into the defense with Vilma, Phillip Buchanon, McDougal and Ed loving Reed vs...De'Angelo Hall and a bunch of nothing.

I'm not going to say they aren't somewhat rare, but the upsets or near upsets of absolutely dominant teams helps make it worth watching too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

Thinking about it some more, Penn State really just killed off any ability I had to watch college football.

The scandal didn't kill off my ability to enjoy college football

It was the behavior over the next few years that did it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm proud of starting this derail out of nowhere, we need off season stuff to talk about.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I'm proud of starting this derail out of nowhere, we need off season stuff to talk about.

If you guys want to hear the single dumbest thing in all of sports let me tell you about "The Chase for the Championship" and how it basically killed NASCAR ever being a major US sport.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The best part is when NASCAR does road courses and the whole race is dominated by these European ringers brought in by the cheaper teams who aren't competing for points

Road courses have kept Boris Said employed for decades

Actually they all did lovely this year, at least at Sonoma.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you guys want to hear the single dumbest thing in all of sports let me tell you about "The Chase for the Championship" and how it basically killed NASCAR ever being a major US sport.

:agreed:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Auto racing isn't a sport so why would it ever become a major us sport

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metapod posted:

Auto racing isn't a sport so why would it ever become a major us sport

You shut your whore mouth.

And real talk, NASCAR was, at one point, as popular as the NFL.

Then they proceeded to get way too high on their own farts and proceeded to poo poo it all up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

iospace posted:

Then they proceeded to get way too high on their own farts and proceeded to poo poo it all up.

Good thing there's no worries of the NFL doing that :v:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Next they are going to argue that drivers are not athletes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

iospace posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

And real talk, NASCAR was, at one point, as popular as the NFL.

Hey hey hey I know what will give us more mainstream credibility, let's completely de value our championship so that we can try to boost ratings at Homestead Miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just watch all 24 hours of LeMans every year and get racing out of your system in one fell swoop. Like a lime purge.

• Locked thread