Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I did 1 just for a long shot. I was just curious.

I'm holding off on 10+1 pulls at the moment because I'm not dying for any of these units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ubiquitus posted:

Highly recommend rerolling with an emulator as the OP states until you get 1 or 2 6* top tier units, you'll never have results

I mentioned in my first post that I have a 6* Refia, Rikku, and WoL, and you're still recommending I reroll? Hot drat man.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

UHD posted:

I mentioned in my first post that I have a 6* Refia, Rikku, and WoL, and you're still recommending I reroll? Hot drat man.

He means 5* base units. None of those units are particularly rare (they're useful but you reroll for rare units).

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Palleon posted:

He means 5* base units. None of those units are particularly rare (they're useful but you reroll for rare units).

While I understand why you might want to reroll for rares, I think I will stick with what I have. Rerolling in this game appears to be a special brand of soul-crushing hell and I'd rather just play.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

UHD posted:

Everything I've read suggests the limiting factor in FFBE is whether you have a top tier base 5* DPS or not. Everything else can be filled with 3-4*s you'll eventually get from pulls but there's no lower rarity replacement for a top DPS like Orlandeau, Fryevia, Tidus or Aileen.

5*s are absurdly rare. So much so I wouldn't bet on ever seeing one again outside of your starting roll.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

UHD posted:

While I understand why you might want to reroll for rares, I think I will stick with what I have. Rerolling in this game appears to be a special brand of soul-crushing hell and I'd rather just play.
I found it entertaining to have 2 or 3 accounts re-rolling while I played and learned the game on my phone. Once I got a pack of starters I was happy with, I linked it to a Facebook account and moved it to my phone.

It really is worth it to have a good unit or two after the first couple of islands. My original account needed intervention often, while my account with 5* starters could auto quite a bit of content, and can do the events much better with a good starting team.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BDawg posted:

What's she doing that's the problem? With status effects back, I switched out Rikku for Ling.

The enemy AI really likes to use Hyper Mighty Guard, maybe because I've left them no other choice but to use limit bursts and regular attacks with Rem's Siphon Delta.

It's hard to kill people if they keep rezzing.

Echophonic posted:

Pulled two more Ashes, so I guess I have a pretty decent Mote farming team. The one I leveled to 100 chains gorgeously with Reberta, makes life really easy.

Which skills were those, again?

UHD posted:

I like you. Cut of your jib, etc. You'll be fine. You might not be able to steamroll everything for a while, but you'll be fine.

If you run into trouble, the wiki has some good strategies using the more common units.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
As soon as the Rikku banner dropped, I immediately put Bushido - Freedom on Ling to deal with the anticipated mass re-raising.

But then, the enemy team doesn't tend to live long enough for her to ever LB.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Which skills were those, again?

Ashe has Heaven's Fury, which has a longish windup, but consistent timing between hits. It's a 10-hit, which works well with Reberta's dual-wield Mystic Thrust. Just the two of them can do a 21 or so chain, which is nice combined with how much damage Reberta can do.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Reraise does not help against my 2x Setzer + Noctis arena team. Only rng(and petrify resist) will save you.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

UHD posted:

Rerolling in this game appears to be a special brand of soul-crushing hell and I'd rather just play.

True story. I have a pretty decent account and have been rerolling for funsies just to see if I can come up with something ridiculous. I've been doing it all day for about 3 days straight and haven't even seen anything GOOD let alone awesome.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Arena for me is just whoever goes first and if they sap all my MP or stop my team (or super rarely use the right combo of moves that actually kills my team). I've got Ling on removing status except stop, 2x Noctis for AoE Stop, and Exdeath and T.Terra to dual cast the same element as Noctis so I can chain it together and blow up the other team that way. Replace Exdeath with Reberta and Ice Breath for this week and T.Terra just uses Chaos Wave instead.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The enemy AI really likes to use Hyper Mighty Guard, maybe because I've left them no other choice but to use limit bursts and regular attacks with Rem's Siphon Delta.

It's hard to kill people if they keep rezzing.

Bushido Freedom?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
My Arena team is typically:

Orlandeau - Literally does nothing except Bladeblitz twice. Guards against a fully evade Noctis.
Ling - Setup with the free dagger Dual-Wield from that event, also on Diabolos for more Man Killer. Bushido - Freedom x2 if I go first or don't need to do anything else. Esunagas if the enemy team statuses me. Used to Dance of Death, but a lot more people are Ribboning and the chain damage from Bushido - Freedom hitting twice is causing me to have more 1st turn kills, so I just do that now. Can't really do anything to a fully evade Noctis.
Noctis - Fire Flask on weeks where I can do that. Frost Flask on weeks I can't Fire Flask. Thunder Flask on weeks I can't do either of the previous two. Currently at 85% Physical, 10% Magical Evade. Casts Fira against a fully evade Noctis if I remember to put him on Ifrit.
Tilith - Prism Heart to contribute to chains. Otherwise, heals if necessary. Prism Hearts against fully evade Noctis' since it's Magic Damage.
Dark Fina - Is Dark Fina. Dystopias or Boos on weeks where Black Magic is banned.

If possible, I'd remove Orlandeau if I could slot in someone with more utility options while still retaining 999x2 damage output.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 10, 2017

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

AegisP posted:

Dark Fina - Is Dark Fina. Dystopias or Boos on weeks where Black Magic is banned.

I use Dystopia every turn, should I be utilizing her magic too, or is it just because I'm in the noob ranks still? By turn 5 usually everyone is stoned or dead.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Friendly Lurker posted:

I use Dystopia every turn, should I be utilizing her magic too, or is it just because I'm in the noob ranks still? By turn 5 usually everyone is stoned or dead.

If I can actually use black magic during the week, then I Dual Aeroga because people often don't resist that and tanks are typically on Golem, and its animation plays nicely with chaining.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'm still fighting lower-rank Arenas, but I am thinking of going with a probably stupid team composition of 3 Fohlens and 2 Ashe. I'll need to tank out the Ashes to make this work, but my hopes is I can take full advantage of the hot new non-elemental magic bullshit that is Heaven's Fury.

The current show-stoppers are high-evade characters like Ling and Noctis, and of course AoE Stop units (again like Noctis). I've solved the Petrification problem with moogle event stone-immune passives at least, but I've had more than a few fights dragged on way too long by a single Noctis until he decides to use his AoE Stop and just win the match solo.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

AegisP posted:

If possible, I'd remove Orlandeau if I could slot in someone with more utility options while still retaining 999x2 damage output.

6* Laswell could be an option if you like the idea of a unit doing 999x4 in exchange for some utility.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

People are saying that with the petrify sword from the FFX event Lasswell can join the ranks of the obnoxious status effect squad since DW Exorcising Storm has 4 chances to apply petrify and hits everyone.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Yup. I've been using him that way for the past 2 weeks and he works wonders.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cock hero flux posted:

People are saying that with the petrify sword from the FFX event Lasswell can join the ranks of the obnoxious status effect squad since DW Exorcising Storm has 4 chances to apply petrify and hits everyone.

Yeah it's pretty nice. For the people with Ribbons that's where Amelia comes in to play (and soon I'll have a 2nd of her in the team).

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I just beat the Macalania Woods thing. Sperimorph was... not fun.

Fohlen x 2 were the only ones capable of touching it in my case, landing a wind resist debuff with Speedster or Vortex and then plinking away at the thing with Sonic Blast chains. Tidus could not hurt it and neither could WoL due to holding elemental weapons (who knew Tidus' signature weapon Brotherhood would make him completely worthless in his own loving event :suicide:). So I had no Breaks from either WoL or Tidus, and no Finisher from Tidus, and my Fohlens only have a single Moogle Spear each due to lack of dual-wield at the current time. It took me about 70 turns but the fucker is dead now at least.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though

Palleon posted:

So instead of having one more mediocre Ashe in a sea of them, I am switching my friend unit to a Lightning that can solo Gilgamesh by auto attacking. For anyone who hasn't beaten him yet, just have her attack every turn and you will (very slowly) eventually win. She has 100% evade and immune to death so she can't be touched.

I don't have a ton of slots open right now but people actually want to use her I'll open some more up.

Awesome going to get some fancy unlocks. Are there any other Bosses I can solo cheese with a friend?

Weird I was kicked to the home screen after a while of fighting him.

Oriental Hugs fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 11, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BDawg posted:

Bushido Freedom?

Yes, I've put it on Ling and this will probably fox things. Thank you and the other posters suggesting this.

Friendly Lurker posted:

Dystopia is a good skill when black magic is banned.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Anyone else jumping on the Primeday coins deal? I'm on the site but can't find the code.

edit: Doesn't seem to be up for the US yet.

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 11, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Palleon posted:

So instead of having one more mediocre Ashe in a sea of them, I am switching my friend unit to a Lightning that can solo Gilgamesh by auto attacking. For anyone who hasn't beaten him yet, just have her attack every turn and you will (very slowly) eventually win. She has 100% evade and immune to death so she can't be touched.

I don't have a ton of slots open right now but people actually want to use her I'll open some more up.

I tried this and died around 80%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hidq9j-rUdA

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 11, 2017

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
So this crazy fucker on my friends list:

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Found a noctis With that ring a few months ago, still hasn't accepted my friend request, it's still there.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

dangerous.hotdog posted:

So this crazy fucker on my friends list:

:catstare:

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

Finally finished gathering stuff for a 100% evade, 824 ATK Noctis. Not sure how useful he is at the moment, but if nothing else, he should be quite the pain in the rear end in the arena.

Noctis 6 Star
FFBEDB Unit Calculator
Right Hand: Kiyomori +79ATK+10%Evasion
Left Hand: Excalibur +120ATK+Light Element
Head: Black Cowl +28ATK+25DEF+25SPR+100%Sleep
Body: Assassin's Vest +40DEF+20SPR+100%Poison/Paralyze+10%Evasion
Accessory 1: Ring of the Lucii +3MAG+3SPR+25%Evasion/Counter
Accessory 2: Ring of the Lucii +3MAG+3SPR+25%Evasion/Counter
Ability 1: Dual Wield Equip two single handed weapons
Ability 2: Quick Assault +30%ATK +10%Evasion
Ability 3: Blade Mastery +50% ATK w/ Katana
Ability 4: Large Sword Mastery +50% ATK w/ Great Sword
Pot Stats: HP: 450 MP: 75 ATK: 30 DEF: 30 MAG: 30 SPR: 30
Esper: Odin HP:5450 MP:3955 ATK:6250 DEF:4310 MAG:2075 SPR:2270
Total Stats: HP: 4969 MP: 325 ATK: 825 DEF: 258 MAG: 242 SPR: 239

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

I'm not 100% sure why that paralyze was able to be inflicted, but in any case, I've given her anti-paralyze so it shouldn't happen again. Attack is going to be a good deal lower but should protect from that particular issue. I should probably try to get an assassins vest tomorrow, that will let her go with a bit more attack also.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 11, 2017

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Tipme posted:

Found a noctis With that ring a few months ago, still hasn't accepted my friend request, it's still there.

Most likely because if it was months ago he injected it and had the account banned.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Palleon posted:

If you could free up a spot for me, I'd appreciate it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh dang, I can't use the Unit Calculator anymore, none of the menus work. Are there any alternatives?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Palleon posted:

I'm not 100% sure why that paralyze was able to be inflicted, but in any case, I've given her anti-paralyze so it shouldn't happen again. Attack is going to be a good deal lower but should protect from that particular issue. I should probably try to get an assassins vest tomorrow, that will let her go with a bit more attack also.

I want to say it's because status ailments don't care if the attack itself is dodged.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The threads on Reddit with people trying to manufacture lag to make chaining easier are getting hilarious. Apparently Low Power Mode on iPhones works too, but makes the game crash a bit and spikes the processor so your phone gets super hot.

I'm thinking perhaps this is a poorly thought out design element.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

AegisP posted:

I want to say it's because status ailments don't care if the attack itself is dodged.

This is correct, also part why Noctis is good in arena. Sure you can dodge the blizzard flask and take zero damage, but you still got stopped because :thatsgumi: !

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Scrublord Prime posted:

This is correct, also part why Noctis is good in arena. Sure you can dodge the blizzard flask and take zero damage, but you still got stopped because :thatsgumi: !

Well to be fair, the exact wording of evasion passives is, "Chance to negate physical/magic damage taken". It's just when we think of evading something, it's the entire thing rather than just damage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BGrifter posted:

The threads on Reddit with people trying to manufacture lag to make chaining easier are getting hilarious. Apparently Low Power Mode on iPhones works too, but makes the game crash a bit and spikes the processor so your phone gets super hot.

I'm thinking perhaps this is a poorly thought out design element.

If you didn't have to manually tap each one it'd be a lot better. Like let me group dudes together and make my orlandeus attack at the same time so I can tap Olive, then tap the orlandeu squad. Problem solved. But I don't care enough to get into the super weird chain macros and setting my phone on fire so I can get extra damage out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You'd think that using the Auto button to trigger everyone automatically would work for syncing, but people manage to chain even worse that way that manually sometimes. Sometimes it does work though.

• Locked thread