Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

This is cool. Actually, never publish any data.....destroy all Netdecks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Molybdenum posted:

Goons, can anyone recommend a store in Atlanta? I'm here for work for the next few weeks and I'd like to play some modern. I'm staying in Kennesaw.

Start here: http://atlmtgevents.com/

I recommend Giga-Bites for Modern on Tuesday, I may even make it this week myself and it's a straight shot down I-75 if you're in Kennesaw. That site doesn't have addresses but punch any of the names+Atlanta into Google and you'll find them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Looking forward to this week's FNM draft

Magic: the Scattering.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think him wanting to go into wrestling is dumb. He's a terrific broadcaster and can probably do well broadcasting anything. Him wanting to be a wrestler himself seems dumb. Also, he said he makes 6 figures doing magic stuff...

Angry Girlfriend?

Thats my point. If is one of the few people with a magic focused career who is making a living that isn't an embarrassment. Changing careers isn't a bad idea, but trying to get into one that is notoriously hard to get into to begin with at his age is just confusing. These WWE guys are either outrageous physical phenoms or incredibly charismatic. They play act a sport that is requires extreme athleticism. I can't see how quitting something he has worked hard to get to the peak of makes any sense. I would hope psully has had a candid conversation with him about it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Wait Cedric actually wants to be a wrestler? I interpreted that as he wanted to be an announcer...

e:

80s James Hetfield posted:

This is cool. Actually, never publish any data.....destroy all Netdecks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry people wanting to play optimally is upsetting to you.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

As someone who has been playing for a long time, lol if you think netdecks wouldn't exist/be prominent without modo data

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Announcer is also a terrible career path to choose. There are way fewer announcers than pro athletes in literally every sport, and it's hard enough to become a pro athlete. And you have to start somewhere, but let me tell you that starter announcer jobs are loving terrible and not worth it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Lawnie posted:

Announcer is also a terrible career path to choose. There are way fewer announcers than pro athletes in literally every sport, and it's hard enough to become a pro athlete. And you have to start somewhere, but let me tell you that starter announcer jobs are loving terrible and not worth it.

And half the announcers used to be pro athletes too!

Anyone know of good sleeve deals? Want ~7 different colors to sleeve tokens in cube by color/emblems/artifacts/gold/whatever. Since they're just tokens they're not getting shuffled so the sleeves can be cheaper.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just read that the MTGO change from 10 decks down to 5 also has a card different clause. Every person involved in that decision is a loving clown. These people operate like children without adult supervision.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I just read that the MTGO change from 10 decks down to 5 also has a card different clause. Every person involved in that decision is a loving clown. These people operate like children without adult supervision.

A few of my Johnny friends were saying it's great and will lead to people brewing more. I think they are dead wrong, and this is going to actively make most levels of competitive play observably worse. Understanding the MODO metagame is going to be essentially impossible for anyone casually playing there.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Nothing says diversity like "less things to choose between".

Hell, they should just go all in and only report the single highest winning deck of the day. That oughta fix it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Published data was great, it meant everyone had access to the same info as the pros/grinders. Instead they are going back to the dark ages, which is only good if you are the type of person interested in applying to a website and paying money to join Travis Woo's Magic and anti Zionist cabal.

People are going to be collecting this info one way or another, but instead of leveling the playing field it's going to be just the most dedicated who gain a bigger edge.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Thats my point. If is one of the few people with a magic focused career who is making a living that isn't an embarrassment. Changing careers isn't a bad idea, but trying to get into one that is notoriously hard to get into to begin with at his age is just confusing. These WWE guys are either outrageous physical phenoms or incredibly charismatic. They play act a sport that is requires extreme athleticism. I can't see how quitting something he has worked hard to get to the peak of makes any sense. I would hope psully has had a candid conversation with him about it.

Yeah, making 6 figures doing magic poo poo is a minor miracle. How many people fall into that category? It's gotta be less than 10.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, making 6 figures doing magic poo poo is a minor miracle. How many people fall into that category? It's gotta be less than 10.

Eh, I would imagine anyone high up in the food chain for any of the distributors is making bank. I would also figure a lot of the old boys club at WOTC is doing very well. BOTH Wotc and Distributors have a workforce that will work for pennies on the dollar.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SCG people are swimming in yachts full of money

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It would be great if we could get large numbers of players to voluntarily report metagame data in an automated way like Hearthstone does.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mcmagic posted:

Angry Girlfriend?

One time, I found my once-lost Archangel of Thune sweeping up a thick layer of bulk cards up off our floor

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
MTGO Decklist changes are horrible. I actually saw this Pauper deck pop up on MTGGoldfish and built a version and 5-0ed with it. Having fewer chances of seeing something like this is bad. There are WAY more than 5 decks in Pauper with fewer than 10 overlapping cards, so basically if someone comes up with a reasonable GB Sacrifice build or someone figures out how to make Gift of Orzhova to not be embarassing, the decklist needs to get past Stompy, Bogles, Burn, RDW, MBC, Delver, UR Delver, UR Kiln Fiend, UB Teachings, UB Control, UB Flicker, Tron, White Weenie, WR Metalcraft, and Affinity, and there's gonna be a hell of a lot more people playing the stock lists than something new.

I guess the Weekend Challenges are going to need to work overtime on advancing the metagame.

e: actually I'd rather WotC actively and openly curate 5 lists to show off instead of this current system.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Published data was great, it meant everyone had access to the same info as the pros/grinders. Instead they are going back to the dark ages, which is only good if you are the type of person interested in applying to a website and paying money to join Travis Woo's Magic and anti Zionist cabal.

People are going to be collecting this info one way or another, but instead of leveling the playing field it's going to be just the most dedicated who gain a bigger edge.

Travis Woo isn't anti-Zionist, he just thinks that the jews control the media and look maybe they provoked Hitler into doing all those holocaust things and ---

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 10, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

uninverted posted:

It would be great if we could get large numbers of players to voluntarily report metagame data in an automated way like Hearthstone does.

Or just have it automatically done through an API like Hex does.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Eh, I would imagine anyone high up in the food chain for any of the distributors is making bank. I would also figure a lot of the old boys club at WOTC is doing very well. BOTH Wotc and Distributors have a workforce that will work for pennies on the dollar.

Sure but I mean Magic content people, not retail.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

Magic: the Scattering.

New format: 52,000 pick up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Images of this year's San Diego Comic Con promos are out: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/san-diego-comic-con-2017-planeswalker-pack

It's a polyptych of the Gatewatch illustrated as a mural with Nicol Bolas doing...magic on the wall.

Then there's this image which part of is on the box for the set. It's certainly inspired by printmaking from 19th century book illustration.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
That would've been a cool art style for the Invocations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
$180.00 seems really steep for 6 cards

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Chandra be all like "Talk to the hand."

Also Gustave Dore style Bolas, cool.

Attorney at Funk posted:

That would've been a cool art style for the Invocations.

Exactly what I thought.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

$180.00 seems really steep for 6 cards

There is almost zero chance you'll be able to get them for 180 unless you are AT SDCC.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I will be at SDCC actually

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Images of this year's San Diego Comic Con promos are out: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/san-diego-comic-con-2017-planeswalker-pack

It's a polyptych of the Gatewatch illustrated as a mural with Nicol Bolas doing...magic on the wall.

Then there's this image which part of is on the box for the set. It's certainly inspired by printmaking from 19th century book illustration.

Those are pretty sweet even if I have no idea what the heck Bolas is supposed to be doing to that wall. Destroying it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Those are pretty sweet even if I have no idea what the heck Bolas is supposed to be doing to that wall. Destroying it?

I assume he is writing theirs story. As in "puppet master".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

I will be at SDCC actually

They are worth picking up just to flip for a few hundred bucks.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Sickening posted:

There are lots more levels available to be a professional wrestler than the WWE. He can aim for the stars and fall short without being an abject failure.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

FordCQC posted:

There are lots more levels available to be a professional wrestler than the WWE. He can aim for the stars and fall short without being an abject failure.

You don't actually play Magic do you?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why the heck didn't we get this style art for the Invocations?!

Wizards is dropping all of the balls lately.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

suicidesteve posted:

You don't actually play Magic do you?

Not as often as I'd like, but as much as I can (only Modern though).

Why do you ask?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FordCQC posted:

I am not knowledgeable about wrestling as a profession. I assume that these smaller event wrestlers aren't exactly making a living that is worth giving up your career for right?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Sickening posted:

I am not knowledgeable about wrestling as a profession. I assume that these smaller event wrestlers aren't exactly making a living that is worth giving up your career for right?

The answer is "it depends".

People like Patrick Sullivan have said though that Cedric is a pretty unique dude in terms of the things he values versus the things other people value. I'd imagine "making a lot of money" is one of those things that doesn't match up for him versus other people. On the other hand, he has had a pretty consistently upward trajectory for the last 6 years or so, maybe he'll make it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oh man

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Star Man posted:

That art style is what Invocations should have looked like.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Haha, fake twitter account. I laughed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Edit:
Oh dang it's fake :(