Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, it should be easy to tell. Gets harder if you have 2 midrange speakers and one's blown, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Youtube has a whole bunch of frequency sweeps, speaker phase tests and so on. Should help you isolate whatever you think the issue is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you can't tell whether a woofer or a tweeter is dead I suggest getting a hearing test. ;)

If no treble = tweeter dead
If all treble = woofer dead

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's not that it's dead, it's that it distorts the output above a certain volume. I can't find any frequency tests that are specifically geared toward testing whether the tweeter or woofer is at fault for this. Guy at store told me that tweeters generally fail completely (?) so it ought to be the woofer, but again, this is an expensive-rear end part ($259) and I want to be sure.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's not that it's dead, it's that it distorts the output above a certain volume. I can't find any frequency tests that are specifically geared toward testing whether the tweeter or woofer is at fault for this. Guy at store told me that tweeters generally fail completely (?) so it ought to be the woofer, but again, this is an expensive-rear end part ($259) and I want to be sure.

Can you remove the grille? How do the woofer surrounds look?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I can't find any frequency tests that are specifically geared ...

Can't you use audio tone test files? Get one really high and one really low. I did this to test volume at various frequencies from a horn.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/tone/download/

I'm sure you can find others if these aren't the right freqs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

Can you remove the grille? How do the woofer surrounds look?
Both elements look fine to me from a visual inspection. The gasket on the woofer is uniform and there doesn't appear to be any separation between the dome and the driver.

wormil posted:

Can't you use audio tone test files? Get one really high and one really low. I did this to test volume at various frequencies from a horn.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/tone/download/

I'm sure you can find others if these aren't the right freqs.
OK, but that doesn't really speak to how I can use this to tell which element is generating the distortion. These would be useful if one or the other was not producing any sound at all but under these circumstances...?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you can't tell by listening, bite the bullet and cut wires to one of the speakers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My PA speakers have an array of cross-firing tweeters. How do I test them all individually? I get a toilet roll and use it as a stethoscope, hold it up to each individual driver and have a listen (seriously).

Can you find similar to use?

Also have you tried the old cone press test? If a voice coil has fried or is damaged the woofer won't move properly. The voice coil will be notchy and not move smoothly back and forth. Obviously do this with the system off.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ended up taking it to the guy who sold me the speakers. The little plate connecting the terminals to the woofer was loose - but there was also a little separation of the dome and the Kevlar cone. He patched it up with some hot glue but going to probably order a new woofer anyway. Thanks guys.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
So I've got an interesting riddle for you folks

I'm setting up audio for a friend who is buying a former model home in a new subdivision. The house has a set of stereo speakers in the ceilings of four rooms (two living rooms, the master bedroom, and the patio). All of the speaker wires run to the main living room. We're not really sure what the ceiling speakers were intended for -- I guess just playing smooth jazz for prospective buyers. But maybe this is a common configuration?

How would you control four zones from one living room? Let's say that each of the two living rooms needs to use the pair of ceiling speakers as the rear channels for a 5.1 system. How would you even control that from the secondary living room (i.e. the one that doesn't have the speaker wires running to it)? Can you do it somehow with a receiver or a specialized PC somehow?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I'm setting up audio for a friend who is buying a former model home in a new subdivision. The house has a set of stereo speakers in the ceilings of four rooms (two living rooms, the master bedroom, and the patio). All of the speaker wires run to the main living room. We're not really sure what the ceiling speakers were intended for -- I guess just playing smooth jazz for prospective buyers. But maybe this is a common configuration?

How would you control four zones from one living room? Let's say that each of the two living rooms needs to use the pair of ceiling speakers as the rear channels for a 5.1 system. How would you even control that from the secondary living room (i.e. the one that doesn't have the speaker wires running to it)? Can you do it somehow with a receiver or a specialized PC somehow?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mul...biw=320&bih=504

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What you're looking for is a while home audio solution. There are many different products to do it which range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

One of the cheapest methods is an amplifier with enough channels for number of speakers and a Chromecast Audio on the input for each zone (room).

This way you can cast audio to any or all rooms simultaneously via phone.

In my house, I have a main receiver running living room, zone 2 off the receiver hooked to a speaker selector and speaker selector wired to 4 zones. I have to manually select the zone I want in my equipment closet, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Scrapez posted:

What you're looking for is a while home audio solution. There are many different products to do it which range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

One of the cheapest methods is an amplifier with enough channels for number of speakers and a Chromecast Audio on the input for each zone (room).

This way you can cast audio to any or all rooms simultaneously via phone.

In my house, I have a main receiver running living room, zone 2 off the receiver hooked to a speaker selector and speaker selector wired to 4 zones. I have to manually select the zone I want in my equipment closet, though.

That sounds like a pretty ugly solution if volume pots are already in each zone. And if they're not that's easy enough to install.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BigFactory posted:

That sounds like a pretty ugly solution if volume pots are already in each zone. And if they're not that's easy enough to install.

If the volume pots are impedance matching all you really need is a decent two channel receiver to feed them. You won't get concert levels but it'll be plenty for puttering around the house.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Or you could just get a multi zone amp and have more control over inputs. I see stuff like that show up on Craigslist often enough.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

BigFactory posted:

Or you could just get a multi zone amp and have more control over inputs. I see stuff like that show up on Craigslist often enough.

Yeah, I have to post my spares one of these days.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IGNORE

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 5, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually going to ask another question because I'm so lost as to what to buy I'm confused.

I don't have much space for my tv. Right now I have a Visio soundbar that I've enjoyed but it's starting to die and just not filling my new apt. So I figured I'd upgrade to a 2.1 sound system.

Where I'm getting stuck at is whether to do towers or bookshelfs. I don't really have room for towers, or if I did I'd be cutting into angles on my tv. That said slot of people tell me I HAVE to get towers for the front two. Is that true?

With bookends I'd have space but most likely it'd be on the floor or very close. Is this really a big no no that online seems to suggest?

And then finally receivers...oi. I have a 4K hdr tv that right now I run all audio out to a sound bar via optical cable. But I see these new receivers that have hdmi support or pass through. Is that even necessary? Or can and should I just get a standard non hdmi receiver and just keep running optical?

Speaker wise I was looking at the two Sony bookshelf the SSCS5s. For some reason at my local Best Buy they're $115 instead of the $159 online. I also debated on the towers. I went to the store and loved the sound of both, I guess it's just a matter of deciding if having a bookshelf speaker on the floor is that bad?

Also I'm learning from this thread that a center speaker is also basically required? And a sub?

Now reddit swears to the devil that soundbar are horrendous...is that true? Is there really no decent ones for gaming and movies?

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I personally think in-wall volume controls are a thing of the past. I use my receiver's phone app to control volume.

Or if you're running a straight amplifier and Chromecast Audio for each zone, you can adjust volume with the Chromecast Audio.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm actually going to ask another question because I'm so lost as to what to buy I'm confused.

I don't have much space for my tv. Right now I have a Visio soundbar that I've enjoyed but it's starting to die and just not filling my new apt. So I figured I'd upgrade to a 2.1 sound system.

Where I'm getting stuck at is whether to do towers or bookshelfs. I don't really have room for towers, or if I did I'd be cutting into angles on my tv. That said slot of people tell me I HAVE to get towers for the front two. Is that true?

With bookends I'd have space but most likely it'd be on the floor or very close. Is this really a big no no that online seems to suggest?

And then finally receivers...oi. I have a 4K hdr tv that right now I run all audio out to a sound bar via optical cable. But I see these new receivers that have hdmi support or pass through. Is that even necessary? Or can and should I just get a standard non hdmi receiver and just keep running optical?

Speaker wise I was looking at the two Sony bookshelf the SSCS5s. For some reason at my local Best Buy they're $115 instead of the $159 online. I also debated on the towers. I went to the store and loved the sound of both, I guess it's just a matter of deciding if having a bookshelf speaker on the floor is that bad?

Also I'm learning from this thread that a center speaker is also basically required? And a sub?

Now reddit swears to the devil that soundbar are horrendous...is that true? Is there really no decent ones for gaming and movies?

Soundbars are fine, just don't expect a cheap one to sound as good as a more expensive one. I use a Sonos Playbar wall mounted in my bedroom and I love it.

I also had bookshelf front speakers in my living room for a while and only switched to towers because I didn't like my speaker stands. Center speaker is mainly for dialogue in movies. I wouldn't put bookshelves on the floor; there are 12" and 18" bookshelf stands all over Amazon.

What is your budget?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey thanks for the help. I'd like to spend like $500 to 6. I'd mostly be gaming on my PS4 pro (which I've read causes receivers to bug out) and streaming content onto my Sony x900e.

Right now I have the cheapest Visio soundbar and I haven't hated it until it started to die. I listened to those Sonys today and it was amazing. But this is what I'm working with (excuse the mess):

So really not much room at all especially for towers. I didn't know bookshelf stand get that low though hmm.

Years ago I had a HTIAB Sony 5.1 and hated the wires and everything so probably wouldn't go back to a full set up. And if I could cheap out of a center or sub that'd be preferable lol. Thanks again

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Start with these:
The Best Budget Soundbar
The Best Soundbar

I recommend the Playbar, but I'm committed to the Sonos ecosystem.

I used the 24" version of these and had no complaints, I just preferred the look of towers.

Edit: If it's in your budget, the Playbase might work as well and may fit directly under your TV, freeing up another shelf on your stand. All the reviews I've read basically say get the Playbar if you can wall mount it, otherwise go with the Playbase. The main issue with the Playbar is that not all TVs will output 5.1 sound via optical, but I have the Sony XBR 800 and it handles it no problem.

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 5, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If you can get something with HDMI passthrough (also known as HDMI CEC, Bravia Sync etc), get it. Even my old amplifier from 2011 has it, and it's amazingly convenient. Whenever I want to do stuff on my PS4 I just hit the PS button, and the PS4, TV and amplifier starts up. With HDMI passthrough the TV remote controls volume, and I can use it to control the menus, media player and Youtube on the PS4 when the controller battery dies.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hey thanks for the help. I'd like to spend like $500 to 6. I'd mostly be gaming on my PS4 pro (which I've read causes receivers to bug out) and streaming content onto my Sony x900e.

Right now I have the cheapest Visio soundbar and I haven't hated it until it started to die. I listened to those Sonys today and it was amazing. But this is what I'm working with (excuse the mess):

So really not much room at all especially for towers. I didn't know bookshelf stand get that low though hmm.

Years ago I had a HTIAB Sony 5.1 and hated the wires and everything so probably wouldn't go back to a full set up. And if I could cheap out of a center or sub that'd be preferable lol. Thanks again

Move poo poo so your TV isn't in a corner. It's like one of my pet peeves. We made TVs flat as gently caress simply to get them out of dominating corners where they ironically take up more room than the CRTs we used to own. Corners are also bullshit for putting speakers in, limiting you massively to what you can do.

If you physically can't move anything then soundbar it up, if you can move things then you have more options.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the help all. I'll decide today and let you all know.

I wish I could move the TV but we have a L shaped couch and that corner is like optimum viewing angle for the whole thing. :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're looking at a soundbar don't forget you can get something like the Kanto YU6 for like $300-400 which will sound vastly better thanks to using adult-sized drivers and not an array of tiny ones plus better stereo separation. Also they have bluetooth and a sub out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the help all. I'll decide today and let you all know.

I wish I could move the TV but we have a L shaped couch and that corner is like optimum viewing angle for the whole thing. :(

That's not what L shaped couches are for. They're so you can lie down and still face the TV.

Also, they should have stayed in the 90s :colbert:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah I agree.

I ended up getting the playbase which is probably sacrileg but I liked what it sold and I liked how it can be expandable in the future.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thing is really cool and I love it already and no wires. Thanks for the help all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I did like it until all of a sudden like the audio volume cut in half lol.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Has it gone into protect mode by any chance? I imagine Sonos would be smart enough to put some circuitry in there to stop you overdriving it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it was my Sony tv adapting to it; so I had to put the tv into Fixed and it kinda fixed it. Thing sounds good though. Amazing the subwoofer invit

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My entry Pioneer receiver decided to die after a week of hard rains and only two and-a-half years of service. :geno:
It never really got along with my Samsung TV anyway, so I replaced it with a Samsung HW-MS650 Sound+, because I wanted an easy plug and play solution this time.

It's a 3.0 soundbar with three independently powered drivers per channel; it has better bass and definition than the Andrew Jones 3.0 setup I had with the bookshelf units.
The soundbar connected with zero issues for my (pre-Tizen) TV, and is basically idiot proof. One HDMI in (for my Blu-Ray player), and everything else using HDMI-ARC, with Bluetooth if I feel like streaming from the PC/phone.
It comes with "anti-distortion technology" meant to prevent it from both sounding like poo poo and/or suiciding if you feel like maxing it out to Marty McFly levels.
Matches my TV with a dark gunmetal brushed aluminum finish, despite five year's difference between them.

I read every review, but this is the one that sold me on it, because it was the only one to post a frequency response curve (for what it's worth):
http://www.avsforum.com/samsung-sound-hw-ms650-soundbar-review/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 7, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Howdy thread, long-time bookmarker first-time poster. I've wanted to get a good receiver forever, but decided it was more of a "when I have a house" thing. Well, now that part's taken care of, and my birthday happens to be coming up, so I'm on the hunt. I'll be very happy to ditch my current setup: a Logitech all-in-one 5.1 system designed primarily for PC usage, using optical out from the TV, typically split to 5.1 via ProLogic. (Going direct from the BD player is just unacceptably laggy.) Currently, though, I am only looking to replace the receiver itself; the speakers can come later, since they're not noticeably bad.

Here's my basic list of requirements:
  • 5.1, not really interested in more than that
  • Preferably not more than $500
  • At least 5 HDMI inputs, plus whatever I'd need to get the audio from an antenna signal (currently the antenna is plugged into the TV via coaxial)
  • At least one traditional stereo RCA input (for record player)
  • Multi-zone capability so that I can also run audio to some speakers on a deck or something; preferably the kind where I can have different audio in each zone

It looks to me like the Denon AVR S720W would be a pretty drat good choice. But I'm partially basing that on an article I found somewhere which may not be completely up to date. On Amazon I also see the Denon AVR X1300W which seems to have a very similar feature set but costs about $70 more. Since I don't see the S720W on the manufacturer's website, I'm wondering if the X1300W is a newer model -- and if I should care. Aside from being newer I'm not sure I see any improvement. But maybe I'm missing something. Thoughts?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The X models usually have the nicer version of Audyssey and handle multi zone better than the S models.

E: they sit between the S models and Marantz.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Accessories4less.com is a great site for receivers.

I'm partial to Integra which is Onkyo's integrator level.

Anything from Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, Yamaha at a $500 price point should have the features you desire.

One nice feature that provides flexibility is zone 2 variable preouts. Meaning you can adjust volume when running an outboard amplifier. A lot of receivers have fixed level outputs for zone 2 RCAs.

One other consideration is whether the receiver has preouts. This will allow flexibility later if you want to add external amps for your main speakers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys have any good 5.1 experiment pieces that you recommend?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do you guys have any good 5.1 experiment pieces that you recommend?

I know Bjork released a lot of 5.1 music. There's also surround mixes of "Everything, Everything" by Underworld and "Don't Think" by The Chemical Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Does anyone have recommendations for a 3.1 system, preferably under $1000? I just bought an lg oled65b6p and I feel like I'm not doing it justice using the built in speakers.

I've been trolling the prime day sales and I only see 5.1 systems and soundbars popping up. Actually the internet in general, or at least Amazon and r/hometheaters, seems to be talking about 5.1 more than 3.1. Is it better to splurge on the 5.1?

I have concerns about how all this works. I guess most people run their HDMI devices through a receiver (which I also would need to buy), then the receiver to the TV? Would this setup work with the built-in streaming apps and OTA? I will be using the tv for its built in apps (netflix, amazon, vudu), OTA sports, and I also have a lot of consoles (xbox one, wii u, gamecube, 64, and more..). Do receivers support non-hdmi connects?

I guess I'm just overwhelmed by all the options. I will continue researching but any input is appreciated!