Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just downloaded the game on PS4 and I have no clue how to even get started. I made a SE account on their site, but have no clue how to link it with my PS4. Google has been useless.

You open the game on your PS4, it will walk you through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Denmo did it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgxj1qDn6I

Warning: spoilers, flashing things.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm thinking about leveling another healer, leaning towards scholar over astrologian. Is it terrible?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Astro owns so play astro

cards are cool and good and fun and ludicrously powerful

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FortMan posted:

Denmo did it again.

Eh, I didn't like that as much as some of their old ones

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Scholar's in a bit of a bad way right now. Fairy dies to a stiff breeze, AoE got nerfed into the grave, and their mana management is kind of a trash fire.

They're still perfectly serviceable in all content available, but they really could use some number bumps.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FortMan posted:

Denmo did it again.

They need a fantasia pronto

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dogsicle posted:

More of the big hub cities need market boards, and I hope to god they simplify the Ala Mhigan quarter/add a handful of aetherytes if it actually becomes a hub for later content.

Yeah the final city seems kinda underutilized. Would be cool if it was as busy and active as Kugane after you finish the MSQ, maybe in a future patch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They need to unnerf shadow flare/bane.

Also healed my first exdr since getting the i320 weapon and it makes a shitload of difference for the healing part. Did they increase item level to stat scaling or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shy posted:

I'm thinking about leveling another healer, leaning towards scholar over astrologian. Is it terrible?

My general feeling having leveled all three:

Scholar isn't terrible by any means but it's the least satisfying one to play right now. It has a lot of very powerful abilities but both from a mechanic and visual standpoint they don't feel very satisfying. Chain Strategum is crazy good but it feels unsatisfying compared to the visual flare of Balance for example and in general Astrologian and White Mage feel more satisfying. I like Scholar but I'd recommend Astro over it. It's also the worst for dungeoning due to the crap AoE.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Truga posted:

They need to unnerf shadow flare

I wouldn't mind a potency/duration buff but making it oGCD is a huge improvement imo

quote:

/bane.

Don't think you'll find anybody who disagrees with you there

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't mind a potency/duration buff but making it oGCD is a huge improvement imo

Potency/duration is good, but it should be a 30s cooldown. That way it'd be same potency per second as before, but less flexible (can't recast at will), but easier to handle due to being ogcd.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Basically, scholar is doing just fine as a shield healer in 8-man content, and chain strategem is absurd, but their 4-man experience is kinda dismal right now. I'm playing primarily AST and WHM this expansion until they fix Bane being garbage, especially since scholar's main usability advantage from previous expansions (being able to DPS without constantly flipping cleric stance on and off) is now N/A.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Scholar's in a bit of a bad way right now. their mana management is kind of a trash fire.

uhh, what

10% mana every minute, 3 free healing spells or a self heal/mana regen, they got refresh now, and the fairy's still an endless font of healing for free. they lost 10% of mana every minute and adlo ate a mana cost adjustment, but refresh makes up for the first one and the second one just means you use adlo before tank busters or high periods of damage, physick + embrace is perfectly servicable for light damage otherwise.

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't think you'll find anybody who disagrees with you there

new bane isn't the reason scholar aoe sucks dick now, it's the fact that they pruned one of the dots that bane was spreading on top of shadowflare nerf. the actual bane nerf is uh, what, 4% on 3 targets and 8% on 4? It shakes out to a small 10-20% nerf even in Big Boy 6+ mob double pulls in exdr.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Once you are full geared up Scholar's mana issues (as well as WHM and AST) are basically non-existent. WHM is I'm pretty sure by far the most mana-effecient of the three but short of actually dying or forgetting to use your cooldowns you're probably going to not have any mana issues past 300 or so

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FortMan posted:

Denmo did it again.

Why don't we do fun stuff?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Once you are full geared up Scholar's mana issues (as well as WHM and AST) are basically non-existent. WHM is I'm pretty sure by far the most mana-effecient of the three but short of actually dying or forgetting to use your cooldowns you're probably going to not have any mana issues past 300 or so

Yeah, and I like the mana mini game each of them has going now. Scholar's still as robust as it was, Astro still plays "can I line up refresh with aoe balance to extend my mana regen?" and gets a new free heal in Earthly Star, and WHM gets to try and figure out the best time to Thin Air (it's to raise two dead idiots hohoho)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Just before the end of Susanoo transition is best time to Thin Air.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SonicRulez posted:

Starfleet Dental used to do cool things. I miss that.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Minrad posted:

uhh, what

I'll defer to your knowledge on this one then. All I know is that my friends who play scholar are neverending fonts of MP-related complaints. Apparently Aetherflow doesn't even give you enough to summon your fairy or something? Maybe they're just dumb and refuse to use I Can't Believe It's Not Shroud of Saints.

When I run dungeons with them, I have the MP-Gift thing on cooldown constantly because they're always running on fumes.

vvv Right on, will do.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tell them to use more physick, less adlo

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rainuwastaken posted:

Maybe they're just dumb and refuse to use I Can't Believe It's Not Shroud of Saints.

Quite a few SCHs are this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SonicRulez posted:

did you go to group picture day before SB launched

that's why

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

After this weekend I'm happy to report that MCH is fun and cool and good to play at 70 :shobon:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'll defer to your knowledge on this one then. All I know is that my friends who play scholar are neverending fonts of MP-related complaints. Apparently Aetherflow doesn't even give you enough to summon your fairy or something? Maybe they're just dumb and refuse to use I Can't Believe It's Not Shroud of Saints.

When I run dungeons with them, I have the MP-Gift thing on cooldown constantly because they're always running on fumes.

I'm still new to SCH, but from what I can tell, it might be a few things. One, Succor and Adlo are expensive now so we can't just shield people willy-nilly anymore (so more Physick and Lust/Indom, less Adlo/Succor). Two, maybe they are not using they Aetherflows stacks efficiently (as in, they should be using it immediately when its off cooldown, and dumping excess before on Energy Drain, for example). Also, they might be overhealing and not letting the fairy do anything; some scholars I met are too scared to let the tanks HP dip low enough for the fairy to jump into action to help. Rouse and fairy spells on Obey can help as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scholar is absolutely punished the worst by death. Which is a fair complaint but there's a degree of Get Better there too. It's fair to say it's a bit unfair how heavily Scholar is punished for death compared to the other two jobs but it's also fair to say that as a healer you shouldn't be going down that often because even for the other jobs it's pretty punishing unless your refresh is up anyway.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Minrad posted:

new bane isn't the reason scholar aoe sucks dick now, it's the fact that they pruned one of the dots that bane was spreading on top of shadowflare nerf. the actual bane nerf is uh, what, 4% on 3 targets and 8% on 4? It shakes out to a small 10-20% nerf even in Big Boy 6+ mob double pulls in exdr.

Yeah, the real Bane nerf is losing our highest potency DoT.

e:^^^^Lord help you if you die right after Aetherflow goes on cool down, or with high Fairy Gauge.^^^^

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 10, 2017

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

ImpAtom posted:

Scholar is absolutely punished the worst by death. Which is a fair complaint but there's a degree of Get Better there too. It's fair to say it's a bit unfair how heavily Scholar is punished for death compared to the other two jobs but it's also fair to say that as a healer you shouldn't be going down that often because even for the other jobs it's pretty punishing unless your refresh is up anyway.

Unless you just poped both Shroud & Aetherflow right before you died it should be real easy to recover mana and get your fairy out ASAP.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Playing on PS4, had a power outage today. Logged back in and now I have a 15,624.53MB update to download, same size as when I started playing.

Umm, help? Dear god help?

"Time remaining: Approximately 2184 minutes. Download speed 0.16MB/s"

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Lant posted:

Unless you just poped both Shroud & Aetherflow right before you died it should be real easy to recover mana and get your fairy out ASAP.

There are also 5 DPS jobs that can restore MP to you in the event that you bite it or run low, 3 in bulk, 2 over time. A couple might whine about it but if you're truly having issues, it's better than the alternative of just not clearing.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
A lot of SCHs consider themselves in a bad MP spot compared to healers. This is mainly because if you compare Adlo to Cure 2 and Succor to Medica, the SCH's costs more. SCH gets Aetherflow, but WHM also gets Assize, which is the same MP per minute for both classes right there without Thin Air. But the fact of the matter is that SCHs have Lustrate and Indom and a fairy, so they shouldn't be relying on Adlo and Succor as much.

I think SCH would be fine if SE just threw them another AOE. I used to spam Blizzard 2 when I played SCH after I got my dots up. I think giving SCH some AOE Broil or something would balance things in a way SE can be happy with. It costs MP to spam like other healer AOE, and it keeps the spell separated from SMN if they are afraid to balance those things.

Pets and stacks not being preserved on death has always been a bit of an oddity to me. Tank stance stays through death. Sometimes when I die as a BLM, I still get the lightning proc when my face is in the dirt. Why can't they let the SCH/SMN keep their stacks/pet on death? This is also one of the many reasons that SCH are often seen as poor healers in the Feast.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Blockhouse posted:

did you go to group picture day before SB launched

that's why

I had class when it was happening :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lant posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's just that "unless you popped" bit. If they're on cooldown you're far more crippled than a WHM or AST in a similar situation.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think it was a bad idea to make lucid dreaming a role action. It's probably why SCH MP feels weird now, they're stuck with all three classes using the same ability for MP restore but SCH already had aetherflow + energy drain in 3.0

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's just that "unless you popped" bit. If they're on cooldown you're far more crippled than a WHM or AST in a similar situation.

Those being on cool down is often the case if you're dead, too. I'm usually the 3rd or 4th to die if poo poo hits the fan, so that probably means lucid dreaming, aetherflow, and swiftcast all on cooldown by the time I stand back up, from trying to pick someone else up off the floor.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ularg posted:

Playing on PS4, had a power outage today. Logged back in and now I have a 15,624.53MB update to download, same size as when I started playing.

Umm, help? Dear god help?

"Time remaining: Approximately 2184 minutes. Download speed 0.16MB/s"
This has been going around lately on PS4 rip, they're "investigating"

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

TheRagamuffin posted:

Those being on cool down is often the case if you're dead, too. I'm usually the 3rd or 4th to die if poo poo hits the fan, so that probably means lucid dreaming, aetherflow, and swiftcast all on cooldown by the time I stand back up, from trying to pick someone else up off the floor.

If the situation is like that, then it's 99% a wipe already more on your party members or you're doing a normal Dun Scathe.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
SCH + AST is the highest dps composition right now

comparing chain stratagem to balance is actually stupid, since you can't bring two astros

scholar's mp efficiency is way better than astro's once you factor in that like a third of your healing is done for free by your fairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Lant posted:

If the situation is like that, then it's 99% a wipe already more on your party members or you're doing a normal Dun Scathe.

Fair enough, I'll take that as a good sign.