Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Kane's spawn is downright lazy. What about the rest?

The colonist's hive is pretty methodical about their swarming.
The dog in 3 is fast and brutal; it runs around picking off outliers constantly but it doesn't really go after Ripley until she burns it with the mold.
Resurrection, they're . . velociraptors that leave traps . . and make out with Weaver and Dourif? I dunno wtf
The AvPses are too boring for me to really recall their behaviour.
Prometheus' creatures are all tricky, appearing benign at first then revealing hideous strength.

Covenant's neos and xenos are like "it's business time" immediately after birth. What's changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would say that Covenant's Xenos look fuckin angry. The Queen in Aliens is the only other time one has come off as fuckin pissed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

I would say that Covenant's Xenos look fuckin angry.

David has some issues.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Alien alien and the Aliens queen are the most intense to me. What we see in Alien 3 and Covenant are way more feral. But you get a sort of calculating elements with the Alien alien because of its weird slow walking and how it chills out and stuff. And of course you get the same with Aliens because of the queen and how they're able to cut the power and out-tactic the marines. I mean they did so in an obvious way the marines didn't pay attention to because of Cameron wanting to parallel Vietnam but they did it.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Black Bones posted:

Did the xenomorphs seem more vicious this time around to anyone else? My initial impression was that they were really pissed off, relentless hunters in Covenant as opposed to the more languid catlike Alien. Oram's offspring being so angry certainly makes sense, bashing itself silly trying to get Tennessee and Daniels. I guess Lope's is jealous of all the surviving couples.

I liked how aggressive and vicious they were in Covenant; especially the one in the ship at the end. I'm really disappointed how the shot of the Alien jumping around the red hallway in trailers wasn't in the film.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Target has a 6 film boxset getting released on August 15th as well:

https://www.target.com/p/alien-6-fi...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
On the Covenant/Modern Day Prometheus tip, I was watching Bride of Frankenstein earlier and can't believe I didn't remember that The Bride is also played by the actress at the beginning that played Mary Wollstonecraft-Shelley.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Black Bones posted:

hideous strength

I see what you did there

And now I need to re-read the Space Trilogy for comparison to the Alien series.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Oh my god, hes going after Alien vs Predator Requiem!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Snak posted:

I hope that he actually only ever thaws out like 5 people at once, so he's doing a version of what the franchise is doing: Recreating the same circumstances and sequence of events over and over again to see if any of them are interesting.

Like the next movie will start with 5 people waking up from their cryopods to a pristine colony module. David greets them and says "There was a catastrophic accident in space, the crew is dead. I have reached colony and set up this module. You are the first to awake and you will need to help me set up the colony for the the rest of the colonist, like the crew would have done if they were alive.

And then... you know.

Then show David cleaning all the blood, replacing any panels that were damaged by acid... then he wakes up the next batch.

Someone starts to figure out something is wrong.

David has Daniels's pod sequestered away in a shrine. Waiting for when he's perfected his process.

Someone pops her out to find out what's going on.

Etc.

If there's ever a time I wish that Ridley Scott was reading this thread...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

On the Covenant/Modern Day Prometheus tip, I was watching Bride of Frankenstein earlier and can't believe I didn't remember that The Bride is also played by the actress at the beginning that played Mary Wollstonecraft-Shelley.

For some reason I didn't notice that until I watched it a second time too. I love that movie so much, it's one of three movie posters I have hanging in my apartment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

For some reason I didn't notice that until I watched it a second time too. I love that movie so much, it's one of three movie posters I have hanging in my apartment.

One is an artist and a feminist, the other is a voiceless, mindless automaton. Hmmm...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One is an artist and a feminist, the other is a voiceless, mindless automaton. Hmmm...

The characters make natural thematic foils.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It would be interesting if we learn Ripley grew up on a space colony and had literally never even been to earth until the end of Alien Resurrection, where after 300 years David's plan finally comes to fruition as a massive ship full of aliens crashes onto earth along with a shuttle containing Ripley the human/alien hybrid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

It would be interesting if we learn Ripley grew up on a space colony and had literally never even been to earth until the end of Alien Resurrection, where after 300 years David's plan finally comes to fruition as a massive ship full of aliens crashes onto earth along with a shuttle containing Ripley the human/alien hybrid.

As potentially lovely as it may be, I'd love to see a full-scale Aliens arrive on Earth movie directed by Scott. Give him 150 million for it, sit back and watch the insanity.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Pretty dope trailer 20th Century Fox released for the digital HD version of Alien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHyNCODrzI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RedSpider posted:

Target has a 6 film boxset getting released on August 15th as well:

https://www.target.com/p/alien-6-fi...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This cover is hosed. The Covenant Alien is all the way at the top, and the Dog Alien comes after the facehugger? Huh!??? HUHH!???? You breakin my canon Target Cover Art!??

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

This cover is hosed. The Covenant Alien is all the way at the top, and the Dog Alien comes after the facehugger? Huh!??? HUHH!???? You breakin my canon Target Cover Art!??

I think they're in order of biggest head to smallest head, not chronological order.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Giger Alien ain't even there wtf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty funny that the Deacon and the Newborn are front and center, they're by far the most controversial designs in the history of the franchise. Well, not the design in the Deacon's case, more the implications of it being in the movie at all. But still, there it is right in the center of the cover.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they're trying to ensure legitimacy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like 90% of people who don't already have all the movies are going to mostly remember Aliens so besides putting the queen at the very top the order doesn't really matter much.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Any word on an alien isolation 2? I need my fix of awesome alien games.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Covok posted:

I think there's no plan after how badly it did even though it was pretty good. I remember them doing a fake video they were gonna add machine guns to the game because of the metacritic score and calling it uncle sam mode but I cant find it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 13, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem with doing Alien Isolation 2 is that the gameplay is already very stale by the time you finish the first game, it's not like it leaves you wanting more. So they'd have to significantly change things up to make it worthwhile.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Covok posted:

Was there anyone complaining about how the alien AI behaved in that? Because in my game the Alien was like this homicidal buddy that I had to make drat sure had other humans to kill in the area or I'd basically have to hide forever before it'd go away.

Also it was loving creepy how it moved about whenever I was stuck in a room with nothing but a table to hide under when it dropped out of of a vent (I never stopped flinching whenever the tail would randomly flip under said table, brush up against the character and then you'd get the rapid "Alien spins around, grabs you and fucks you up" animation).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think the obvious solution would be to create a sequel called Aliens: Isolation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the obvious solution would be to create a sequel called Aliens: Isolation.

No joke, I'd play Predator: Isolation. Make it so the Predator hunts you based on how aggressive you are, and the game forces you to be aggressive so you can't just Sam Fisher your way through everything.

There's a lot of ways to gently caress that premise up if the Predator's AI isn't up to snuff (or if it's too easy to "game" the AI by being aggressive, and then immediately backing off so the Predator loses interest) but if done right I think it could be tense as hell and super cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator Isolation wouldn't work because you just drop your gun and it won't care about you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Remember that time that Predator famously ended with Arnold being ignored because he no longer had a gun...

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snak posted:

Remember that time that Predator famously ended with Arnold being ignored because he no longer had a gun...

1v1, log bridge, no items.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

CelticPredator posted:

Predator Isolation wouldn't work because you just drop your gun and it won't care about you.
Deer don't have guns but somehow they end up hunted.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Now I am imagining a game with that Heavy Rain glitch where instead of screaming "SHAAAUN" over and over again, your character just says "Hey Billy. Billy. Billy, hey Billy."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You make it multi-player and have one person hunt as the alien and everyone else try to survive. Flamethrowers are scarce, if you coordinate you can force the alien into an airlock. The alien can use vents, move silently, has multiple ways to kill people, maybe there's one egg the alien can bring a crew member to so there's two aliens.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

You make it multi-player and have one person hunt as the alien and everyone else try to survive. Flamethrowers are scarce, if you coordinate you can force the alien into an airlock. The alien can use vents, move silently, has multiple ways to kill people, maybe there's one egg the alien can bring a crew member to so there's two aliens.

AvP's multiplayer had a mode with one alien vs a team of marines. Each time a marine was killed it would become an alien until eventually all the marines were killed. That was some good poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

temple posted:

Predators have rules

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Problem is that Alien is such a popular franchise that making an unbalanced multiplayer game out of it is probably a non-starter. The guys who made the Friday the 13th game had to go the kickstarter route and they only got the rights to the franchise because it's owned by like one guy and he said yes.

Maybe I'm totally wrong though, it's not like survival horror games with slow gameplay typically sell millions either so who knows.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

temple posted:

deer have antlers.

google "deer attack"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

That's what I'm saying, make the AI so you can't just game it by dropping your gun. Make it so ditching your weapon is an option, but it's a gamble because the Predator isn't an idiot and won't stop pursuing you unless you find a way to make yourself really unappealing, or are able to elude it. Perhaps make ways to instigate fights with other enemies so that the Predator focuses on them instead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

That's what I'm saying, make the AI so you can't just game it by dropping your gun. Make it so ditching your weapon is an option, but it's a gamble because the Predator isn't an idiot and won't stop pursuing you unless you find a way to make yourself really unappealing, or are able to elude it. Perhaps make ways to instigate fights with other enemies so that the Predator focuses on them instead of you.

I don't think it even needs to be a mechanic at all. Characters with guns in Predator movies don't typically drop them and give up, and even if they did there's no evidence the Predator would stop is there? It doesn't hunt people that aren't a threat to it, but it does seem like once you become a threat, you're considered a threat until you're not alive anymore.