Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Who cares about getting low on TP, AoE until you're out or you're a big dumb doodoo head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally.

I'm glad the SE learned their lesson from HW and didn't hide the majority of the ingredients behind unspoiled nodes this time around. Only exception is gsm where they did do that...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leal posted:

Finally.

I'm glad the SE learned their lesson from HW and didn't hide the majority of the ingredients behind unspoiled nodes this time around. Only exception is gsm where they did do that...

If you're a crafter why isn't your gear constantly overrepaired at all times aaaaa

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Leal posted:

Finally.

Finally what? Go level up fishing!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

With goads and invigs all over the place I really can't imagine running out of tp unless you're aoeing like thirty times

See that implies that pub melee DPS will actually goad. I haven't seen a single one when tanking.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah, sleeve draw will put something in your held slot, so if you sleeve draw immediately after casting a expanded balance, you'll usually be given a card that isn't balance to play. which is nice, the other cards were getting lonely. i'll sometimes use an empowered/extended bole on the tank, or ewer on myself, if sleeve draw deals me the relevant cards too.

e: i don't main ast though

I generally prefer to only use Sleeve Draw after I have something in my Spread, or one Draw after an Expanded Balance which yielded no RR or Spread worthy card. Basically, if I am going to put myself in a position where I might have trash cards I need to throw out of my Spread, I want to be able to do that ASAP, and not have to wait for my Balance to expire. Waiting for your Balance to expire means you're pushing your Spread cooldown, which means if your next Draw is a Balance you have to wait for like 20-30 seconds for it to be useable. It's not cool.

This could all be fixed if we could remove things like we used to be able to. But I'd also accept if they'd just make the Spread cooldown 5 seconds like Minor Arcana. That'd be pretty great!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vOv posted:

See that implies that pub melee DPS will actually goad. I haven't seen a single one when tanking.

I sometimes forget I have it equipped because of all the pubs who never use their TP enough to warrant being Goaded.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Leveling DRG I wish other people would goad me.

First I'd have to actually get an instance with another non-caster DPS though.

I'd even settle for caster DPS that know how to AoE properly!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I've had multiple dungeons of goading my fellow melee dps on big pulls, then I watch my invigorate cooldown tick down and my tp get lower and lower as I wait for goad to appear on my buff bar.

It never does.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just got to Hilda in Heavensward. She is perfect in every way.

But seriously, they kinda dropped the ball on the visual and storytelling aspects of the downtrodden lower classes so far. Their suffering seems to happen almost entirely off screen. The dragon politics was better executed, but it still feels like a step back from the intricacies of the 2.X leadup to Heavensward. The dragon zones don't feel particularly special, and I don't get a sense of their society outside of the main characters. The historical misdeeds reveal also lacked punch because I have no lower class characters to sympathize with.

It's a little frustrating because I find the game pretty engrossing!

Also when do I get to wield the Heaven Sward

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’m still trying to figure out how to get pubbies to use goad :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

brainwrinkle posted:

Just got to Hilda in Heavensward. She is perfect in every way.

But seriously, they kinda dropped the ball on the visual and storytelling aspects of the downtrodden lower classes so far. Their suffering seems to happen almost entirely off screen. The dragon politics was better executed, but it still feels like a step back from the intricacies of the 2.X leadup to Heavensward. The dragon zones don't feel particularly special, and I don't get a sense of their society outside of the main characters. The historical misdeeds reveal also lacked punch because I have no lower class characters to sympathize with.

It's a little frustrating because I find the game pretty engrossing!

Also when do I get to wield the Heaven Sward

Hang in there. The Ishgardian lower classes aren't forgotten by the story. Without giving too much away, the whole post game patch storyline content in Heavensward is heavily politically focused.

They're also the focal point of the 60-70 Machinist Job storyline in Stormblood! It is a thing I appreciate about this game is that "new expansion" does not mean "welp time to ignore all old areas". Many of the Job storylines revisit other areas of the world and lore and don't have anything to do with the areas introduced in Stormblood.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 11, 2017

WALL of SCIENCE!
Feb 8, 2003

I'm good. You good?
Yeah, it's pretty great how Scholar continues to address the whole plot thread of the plague and Nym and the tonberries even though Wanderer's Palace is long behind us.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If pubs aren't doing what you want, try giving out about it. I had a goon just ask if I brought Goad once. Yes. I play Ninja and I'm used to having it, so I always bring it. However I'm also an idiot so occasionally I'll just flat forget to use it if I'm not monitoring the other person's TP or if the other dps is a caster. All it takes is a "Play better, Quiorra" and it comes together.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The more I level SMN and SCH the more enamoured I am with the idea of just giving the entire ACN toolkit to SCH and redoing SMN from the ground up in 5.0 as a job that starts at 30. Redistribute ACN's stat weights and make it a healer. Let them have the DoTs, plagues are thematically consistent for them. Make Aetherflow a SCH-only mechanic. Maybe rename the nukes if you want SMN to keep Ruin.

I don't know what I'd want the redesigned SMN to be, but the job needs a massive overhaul as is and that's as good an opportunity as any to break the two apart. SCH needs a little attention too but the current core gameplay of SMN is just striking me as Not Fun.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The more I level SMN and SCH the more enamoured I am with the idea of just giving the entire ACN toolkit to SCH and redoing SMN from the ground up in 5.0 as a job that starts at 30. Redistribute ACN's stat weights and make it a healer. Let them have the DoTs, plagues are thematically consistent for them. Make Aetherflow a SCH-only mechanic. Maybe rename the nukes if you want SMN to keep Ruin.

I don't know what I'd want the redesigned SMN to be, but the job needs a massive overhaul as is and that's as good an opportunity as any to break the two apart. SCH needs a little attention too but the current core gameplay of SMN is just striking me as Not Fun.

Melee caster like Yuna in Dissidia. Basically a reverse RDM, land weaponskills to build aether, then jump back and summon aspects of primals: Titan stomps in a cone in front, judgement bolt for single target, garuda's winds give a skillspeed buff, etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just hit 62 on whm and I think I'm in love with thin air

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to level a healer and I'm between WHM and AST. I like WHM's DPS potential and the idea of being the classic FF healer, and I like AST's cards and Gravity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Holy is Gravity but better if that helps

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
AST gets an oGCD stun but it has a huge cooldown and you'll get mad at yourself everytime you use it and forget to extend someone's balance with it, meanwhile WHM AF1 is still the best armor in the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

give me the WHM AF1 but with the ability to put the hood up, and I will be satisfied.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Melee caster like Yuna in Dissidia. Basically a reverse RDM, land weaponskills to build aether, then jump back and summon aspects of primals: Titan stomps in a cone in front, judgement bolt for single target, garuda's winds give a skillspeed buff, etc.

Decent idea, I've always liked the idea that summons should appear, do a thing, and bugger off. If we could get the current smudges to become big for a couple seconds to do a move and then piss off again I'm sure it'd sate some of the "we want big summons" crowd. Just tell them summoning actual primals is far too aether intensive (it is) so you constrict an egi as a template and temporarily pump enough aether into it to make it become big do a flashy thing and it reverts after, having used it all up. You know how that one boss fight in Xephaltol pulls Garuda out, she does a thing, then goes away? That.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Decent idea, I've always liked the idea that summons should appear, do a thing, and bugger off. If we could get the current smudges to become big for a couple seconds to do a move and then piss off again I'm sure it'd sate some of the "we want big summons" crowd. Just tell them summoning actual primals is far too aether intensive (it is) so you constrict an egi as a template and temporarily pump enough aether into it to make it become big do a flashy thing and it reverts after, having used it all up. You know how that one boss fight in Xephaltol pulls Garuda out, she does a thing, then goes away? That.

Isn't that roughly the idea behind the Enkindle cd they already have?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

Isn't that roughly the idea behind the Enkindle cd they already have?

Yes, but it should look more bad rear end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I asked a bunch of dumb newbie questions earlier but I think it can be boiled down to the following, which may be true or false:

With my main job (warrior) currently at 46, I will have much more fun if I finish the story and go through cool good expansion content and have fun with it and get to max level on that first and unlock all the good features and stuff, before actually attempting to level any other job, including DoH/DoL.
Exception: if I really genuinely want to see what another class is like.

Y/N?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Pretty much. Gathering is simple though.
Samurai and Red Mage start at 50 and unlockable as soon as you reach 50 if that's interesting.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Shy posted:

Pretty much. Gathering is simple though.
Samurai and Red Mage start at 50 and unlockable as soon as you reach 50 if that's interesting.

I actually enjoy tanking for the most part. I also enjoy queueing instantly. The main thing I was tossing up was how much I wanted to level SCH on the side for the healing experience + more insta-queueing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The armoury bonus kicks in for anything you level that's not at your max level (IE, you're at 46 so anything up to that gets the bonus) so you can try out classes whenever you want. Serious leveling of another class should wait until you've gotten your main up until at least 61 at the earliest. With the glut of sidequests and having instant queues though you can very easily get to 70 and go from there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So I'm at 41 with my paladin and it feels like everything is fine unless more than one mob gets peeled off by the dps then everything goes to poo poo because provoke has the longest cd on a taunt that I've ever seen and I usually already popped it recently to pick up something else.

I'm hitting flash after pretty much every rotation so what am I missing about threat mechanics itg.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

History Comes Inside! posted:

So I'm at 41 with my paladin and it feels like everything is fine unless more than one mob gets peeled off by the dps then everything goes to poo poo because provoke has the longest cd on a taunt that I've ever seen and I usually already popped it recently to pick up something else.

I'm hitting flash after pretty much every rotation so what am I missing about threat mechanics itg.

If you're in shield oath and you're hitting flash 2-3 times at the start, the only thing I can think of is that your gear is wildly out of date. Check your weapon in particular, it's wildly the most important piece of gear for every class, including tanks and healers.

If your gear is fine then the issue is probably just that the DPS are synced down to maximum possible gear for their level and you're in a mishmash of NQ leveling gear. Not much you can do about that. It'll mostly sort itself out in Heavensward when leveling gear gets much better.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did those giant enmity changes get put in? if so you should not be losing aggro, yeah.

i'm also fairly certain wrt the people who want goads that the duty finder will try to put you with a ranged if you're a melee, so don't hold your breath.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Holy is Gravity but better if that helps

Excuse you. Gravity is Holy but you won't ever see a DRK complaining about Gravity spam right after they popped Blood Price.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 22, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Excuse you. Gravity is Holy but you won't ever see a DRK complaining about Holy spam right after they popped Blood Price.

Well maybe they shouldn't have popped Blood Price right at the beginning of the pull, then, cause I'm gonna spam holy and if they don't like it they can get hosed

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

History Comes Inside! posted:

Provoke is pretty bad in that instance, it gives you exactly 1 more threat than the person with the highest threat. It's more for tank swaps than what you're using it for; if a DPS pulls off you, you want to shield lob at it and then flash more.

If you're rotating your halone combo through all the enemies, flashing at the beginning of pulls, and using shield oath, you should be drowning in hate unless your gear is extremely bad, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Holy = High group damage and good mitigation
Blood Price = MP restore to a wussy tank using grit.

I think I know which is best.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Strong, powerful White Mages: I'm going to pop Thin Air, smite these enemies in Holy fire and not lose a single point of MP.
Weak, withering Dark Knights: Please hit me daddy I need MP to do things :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You guys want to read some salt?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6mgjdi/early_pulling_hunts_doesnt_exist/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Here's my hot take on SCH: apart from the sword phase, I pretty much healed susan ex solo a few times, because apparently the other healer in DF is there to spam aero 3 during high damage phases like ukehi/stacking. Didn't have MP problems despite having succor up for every aoe and having adlo up for every tankbuster. I do pretty much hit shroud of saints and aetherflow on cooldown though.

And just like in in previous expansions, as item levels go up and we get 3 million piety, this is just going to get easier.

SCH is a super powerful healer right now, as long as people don't gently caress up every single mechanic it's easy to keep them alive. For trainwreck runs I'd probably still rather go as sch and have a half competent second healer or have some class that's giving me more mp than swapping out.

If there's one thing I'd change for raids/trials, it's dissipation resummoning the fairy after it ends. When I need dissipation, I probably need eos more.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

new bane isn't the reason scholar aoe sucks dick now, it's the fact that they pruned one of the dots that bane was spreading on top of shadowflare nerf. the actual bane nerf is uh, what, 4% on 3 targets and 8% on 4? It shakes out to a small 10-20% nerf even in Big Boy 6+ mob double pulls in exdr.

Where is that 4% number coming from?

Also Shadowflare nerf is 50%, Miasma 2 is gone, Blizzard 2 is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People take the piss on Omega. Seen them waiting 6 minutes shouting "anyone else coming?" for a measly A rank. I wasn't after the hunt but I'd have pulled it like 2 minutes of waiting in.