Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Preview of Cthulhu Wars Onslaught Three is up.

Basic level for game owners: $149 for one new faction, one new alternate map, Masks of Nyarlathotep neutral GOO with a coloured monster of unknown use, two neutral creatures including a full release for the Hounds of Tindalos with a new sculpt, and stretch goals that will as a minimum include a HC copy of the Omega Rulebook. For an extra $50 you can get a new sculpt for Cthulhu, unique Acolyte sculpts for every faction, coloured rings to mark neutral faction ownership and a set of 20 battle dice in the faction colour of your choice.

If you haven't already got the game, there are two levels. At $200 you get the base game plus a faction expansion of your choice, the new Cthulhu and stretch goals, which is basically "buy at RRP and get a bunch of stuff free". The big one is $750 and gets you more than I'm willing to type, because if you're interested enough to drop that much cash you're already reading the page.

(Incidentally, battle dice are available separately at $15/set of 20 and with a little work they could be used to roll successes in Eldritch or Arkham Horror.)

E: One of the stretch goals is alternate rules for the new Dire Cthulhu.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm actually interested in CW since my friends are getting into board games more these days. Replayability is good, I assume? Which expansion might be the best if I just get the $200 bonus?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm actually interested in CW since my friends are getting into board games more these days. Replayability is good, I assume? Which expansion might be the best if I just get the $200 bonus?

Not Tcho-Tcho - it's not broken, but it'll snowball every game against inexperienced players. Windwalker can also snowball if left unchecked, but it's more in the manner of Yellow Sign from the base game where you can thwart him by positioning; one thing WW has to do before he can win is get a gate at both poles, so you can force him to fight his way through. Sleeper is a good faction but it needs patient play; its schtick is that it can always act once everyone else is unable to respond, but it is strongest at the start of the round when everyone is flush with power. On that basis I would probably go for Opener. Yog-Sothoth is the Great Old One I would have included if I was making the game 5-player from the off as he's so important to the Mythos.

Replayability is good, yes. I've played every faction at least once and am nowhere close to bored. I also know I could get it on the table at least once a month if I were so inclined and didn't have other games to play, because other people like it too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yeah I played the first couple of tutorial maps which were incredibly tedious then I looked at the full rules and was gobsmacked at how half arsed they were.

That said the tiles and minis are the major expense, so they should be able to start from scratch to make something fun and sell a few decks of cards and a book

I wouldn't hope too much, they recently released some updated rules and didn't even touch the biggest complaints. Namely most missions take near perfect rolling and turn management to even stand a chance at beating them.

I think Mantic's biggest weakness is that they're all over the place when it comes to feedback. Dungeon Saga they tried to incorporate everyone's opinions and end up with a schizophrenic mess, Warpath they refused to listen to what their backers wanted and they release a version of the game no one wants to play and the version people do want to play is a half assed mess.

Their tightest game is probably Walking Dead and that's probably because everything about the game had to be submitted and approved so their was someone with an actual vision guiding development.

That said, I probably would have still backed Star Saga if I hadn't already backed Deep Madness. Similar game but DM has a better vision of what they're doing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pyrolocutus posted:

I would go with Yog Sothoth just because it's the most canonical of the bunch. It also has the benefit of wanting to poo poo out gates/take over gates and get into fights with other factions, so it tends to be pretty active (They Break Through + The Beyond One is also hilariously assholish).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wouldn't hope too much, they recently released some updated rules and didn't even touch the biggest complaints. Namely most missions take near perfect rolling and turn management to even stand a chance at beating them.

They put together a new rules committee, and after a few months testing released the first of something like 6 planned FAQs with fixes for the simplest stuff, they're not done yet.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
X-Case is at about 40%. I'm really hoping this one funds. The cases seemed to work pretty well when I saw them at ReaperCon, and I think the idea of modular transport/display cases is neat. I'd like to get some into my grubby hands.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I've been a big fan of Star Realms, so seeing the new 'Star Realms Frontiers' kickstarter was an instant pledge for me. Unlike previous Star Realms & Colony Wars sets this offers a solitaire mode and up to 4 players, so it looks like it could be a good first set.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/star-realms-frontiers

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JackMann posted:

X-Case is at about 40%. I'm really hoping this one funds. The cases seemed to work pretty well when I saw them at ReaperCon, and I think the idea of modular transport/display cases is neat. I'd like to get some into my grubby hands.

People were throwing them away at Adepticon. I don't see the draw - it's a $20 plastic card case that has been repurposed to hold a dozen models?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

People were throwing them away at Adepticon. I don't see the draw - it's a $20 plastic card case that has been repurposed to hold a dozen models?

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would buy this at all. I mean, if you are not going to spring for a really high end case just buy some flexible sheet metal (or have a metal box) and some magnetic base bottoms. Boom. Anything is a case.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

illectro posted:

I've been a big fan of Star Realms, so seeing the new 'Star Realms Frontiers' kickstarter was an instant pledge for me. Unlike previous Star Realms & Colony Wars sets this offers a solitaire mode and up to 4 players, so it looks like it could be a good first set.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/star-realms-frontiers

Poor value though( at least in the uk with the $15 shipping). Judging from the current prices of their sets it's the equivalent of ~£25 of value charged at £35. The stretch goals would need to really blow up to make it worth backing now rather than waiting for retail.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Got my copy of Einstein that I backed today. The artstyle is quite good, excited to try it tonight with the wife.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Poor value though( at least in the uk with the $15 shipping). Judging from the current prices of their sets it's the equivalent of ~£25 of value charged at £35. The stretch goals would need to really blow up to make it worth backing now rather than waiting for retail.

Yeah, although the base set is a bit bigger. Still 80 card trade deck, but now there's starting hands for 4 players vs 2. But with shipping it makes less sense to back at the low tiers, the higher tiers offer more bang for your buck, but not by much.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

In the next few weeks I'll be launching the kickstarter for my next RPG project, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd Edition. It's a powered-by-the-apocalypse game about families of survivors rebuilding their world over generations, originally created as a competition entry on this forum way back in 2013!
Before I launch, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to look over the draft kickstarter page and let me know if there's anything that's a turn-off, doesn't make sense, or could be phrased better?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Flavivirus posted:

Before I launch, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to look over the draft kickstarter page and let me know if there's anything that's a turn-off, doesn't make sense, or could be phrased better?

Most people probably don't care all that much, but your sound quality is pretty bad. At the very least, turn the transition noises into actual sound cues instead of "left the mic on while vacuuming and accidentally put it in the video." You don't even need to buy a sound set-up to do this better, though; find a less echo-y room to record in, or go the extra mile and put up some cheap foam or egg cartons.

I'm also not a fan of dust jackets, especially for frequent-use books like for RPGs, but it's probably too late in the planning stages for that.

Anyway, I like the look of everything else, especially the art, and I liked the first edition. I'll be backing this.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Ouch, fair enough. I was going for 'broadcast over the radio' but I can definitely walk that back.

e: How's this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdnqNhikhc

The dust jacket is mainly so that when the game gets into shops it has something to put the blurb and barcode on. I fully expect a lot of backers will ditch the dust jacket as soon as they get it.

Maybe I could look into how much a slipcase would be instead?

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 13, 2017

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Flavivirus posted:

I don't know if you saw my comments from the Industry thread before they were buried under a sea of animeposts, so here:

I'm extremely unlikely to be paying DTRPG in GBP; you probably ought to dual-currency cite the DTRPG costs for printing. (I see you have done this.)

Deluxe hardbacks are nice but complicate your fulfillment. (If you were to add such a thing, the signed tier ought to be the deluxe edition.) I backed to get both the deluxe and regular editions of Blue Rose and Blades in the Dark.

That said I bought 1st edition on dtrpg or bundle of holding or something and never got to play it, but I'm still interested in this new version off the "what's new" (and the Stranded Starfarers) so that's well done of you.

Oh, also I really like the 2nd edition cover.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

inklesspen posted:

I don't know if you saw my comments from the Industry thread before they were buried under a sea of animeposts, so here:

I'm extremely unlikely to be paying DTRPG in GBP; you probably ought to dual-currency cite the DTRPG costs for printing. (I see you have done this.)

Deluxe hardbacks are nice but complicate your fulfillment. (If you were to add such a thing, the signed tier ought to be the deluxe edition.) I backed to get both the deluxe and regular editions of Blue Rose and Blades in the Dark.

That said I bought 1st edition on dtrpg or bundle of holding or something and never got to play it, but I'm still interested in this new version off the "what's new" (and the Stranded Starfarers) so that's well done of you.

Oh, also I really like the 2nd edition cover.

Thanks for the feedback! To get economies of scale working for me the plan is to give everyone the same quality of book, which I steadily upgrade as we hit stretch goals. Deluxe variants at the moment are limited to signed versions of the book, though if you have any ideas for higher-level backer tiers I'd be happy to listen.

Also happy the pitch worked on you :D

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Hawk Wargames has updated their long-delayed Dropfleet Commander backers. The kickstarter's had a lot of trouble with fulfilment. Some promised items weren't produced in time, so pledges were delayed and split into two shipments. They've finally explained that the second shipment's delay was caused by promised paper four-by-four foot playmats, which they've decided not to produce. Instead, they'll make the images available digitally with permission for printers to use them. Backers will get store credit on Hawk's website

This kickstarter's been pretty bad (i do like the models) however the part I particularly dislike has been their failure to keep backers informed via kickstarter. A huge amount of information came through third-party media and rumours at conventions. They've also been incredibly slow at responding to emails. In my case, they haven't responded at all

I've matured and am ready to approach kickstarter projects with more cautio- poo poo, it's a colourful animal game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sensibleobject/beasts-of-balance-new-edition-and-battles-expansio

you stack the animals and there's an app. hot drat. sign me up to the cute rainbow animal toy of the future

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Surprised I'm the first to mention this (maybe I missed the post), but Isaac Childress started his Founders of Gloomhaven Kickstarter. A competitive 2 hour city building Euro for 1-4 players, which is not at all like Gloomhaven but is a "prequel" to it.

$49 with free shipping in US, Canada and China, and pretty cheap shipping outside of those three countries. He's got a rule book that you can look at, as well as a Tabletop Simulator module and print-and-play materials. Plenty of videos with full play-throughs too. Heavy Cardboard is doing a live play-through at 8:00PM CST.

Expected ship date of Jan 2018.

I kind of feel like Childress is an autoback for me at this point?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Surprised I'm the first to mention this (maybe I missed the post), but Isaac Childress started his Founders of Gloomhaven Kickstarter. A competitive 2 hour city building Euro for 1-4 players, which is not at all like Gloomhaven but is a "prequel" to it.

$49 with free shipping in US, Canada and China, and pretty cheap shipping outside of those three countries. He's got a rule book that you can look at, as well as a Tabletop Simulator module and print-and-play materials. Plenty of videos with full play-throughs too. Heavy Cardboard is doing a live play-through at 8:00PM CST.

Expected ship date of Jan 2018.

I kind of feel like Childress is an autoback for me at this point?

Gonna keep an eye on this, but supposedly its "best with 4" in the "only good with 4" kind of way. Looks like there's a Tabletop Simulator of it he's encouraging people to try so full mechanics reviews will be available before you have to back.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/333809528/collapsible-construction/description

This is miles from being funded, but it looks pretty cool. The image with the free weights stacked on them is impressive.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Flavivirus posted:

In the next few weeks I'll be launching the kickstarter for my next RPG project, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd Edition. It's a powered-by-the-apocalypse game about families of survivors rebuilding their world over generations, originally created as a competition entry on this forum way back in 2013!

Just wanted to say that my friend ran a campaign with Legacy 1st edition, it was a blast and I'm looking forward to 2e!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'm just sad that I bought Legacy one about two weeks ago, and am now learning about a second edition. :,(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cthulhu Wars Onslaught Three has gone live and funded in 29 minutes. Now up to 666 backers. :cthulhu:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cortex Prime SRD released to the backers.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
What's the verdict on Blood and Plunder? And would it be possible to hack it into Napoleonic times?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cortex Prime SRD released to the backers.

Are they using BackerKit? Can I still get in on this?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

They're looking to launch a backerkit in fall.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The Spire is now live, from the creator of Unbound and Goblin Quest.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Backed! I think technically it's just 'Spire', probably because 'The Spire' is a pre-existing comic series with a possibly copyright-infringingly similar premise.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Black elves overthrowing the oppressive white elves, written by people in the UK. I hope they pick good "sensitivity readers."

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are they using BackerKit? Can I still get in on this?

You can also subscribe to Cam's patreon to get draft access.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Spire is a city of a thousand gods: Our Glorious Lady, the light of the moon, beloved of the drow (and her sisters, the dark side of the moon and the eclipse, whose worship is banned by the high elves); the Solar Pantheon, great and terrible, who dominate the city from glittering cathedrals; the ravenous Hungry Deep that slumbers beneath the city; the laughing carrion god Charnel, whose hyenas prowl the bloody streets of New Heaven. Worship of these gods can grant miracles to the faithful - player characters included.

It is a place of industry and profit: human retro-engineers arrive with armfuls of arcane technology dug up from forgotten dungeons of a lost civilisation, then hotwire them into life and sell cheap copies down in the lawless undercity. There are acres of underground lakes brimming with algae; dark farms where the dead hang from spidersilk, their bodies dotted with fungi; and the vast, cursed, never-completed Vermissian, a failed attempt at a subterranean travel network.

It is a place of horror, too: bloodwitches return from the Heart, the rotten hole in reality that is the centre of Spire, carrying mystical blood diseases that rewrite men’s minds; spider-skinned midwives sprout additional chitinous limbs to defend unborn drow; magic masks are sutured to unwilling faces; hearts are plucked out and stored in jars, so that the owner might have eternal, strange life at the hands of the Morticians.

quote:

You don’t just play a Ranger: you play a Carrion-Priest, a hyena-worshipping death cultist. You’re not a Rogue: you’re a Bound, and you pray to the small gods in your ropes to stop you from falling off the side of the city. You don’t just play a Fighter: you play a Knight of the North Docks, a member of a long-fallen order of nobles who once upon a time defended the honour of traders and travellers, but who now swagger about in flashy quarter-plate and operate an alarmingly wide variety of bars.
Huh, that's weird, I was reading these and $20 just vanished from my bank account.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Cool setting, but what's the game like? The description in the KS page sounds like they just palette swapped D&D. If it's just reskinned or modified D&D, which edition did they reskin or modify? Is this an OSR thing?

Funny how the same sales pitch that gets some people really excited is just bafflingly uninformative to others. I'm reading this like "But you are leaving out all the most important stuff! You are telling me everything except what I would need to know to decide whether or not to back."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Cool setting, but what's the game like? The description in the KS page sounds like they just palette swapped D&D. If it's just reskinned or modified D&D, which edition did they reskin or modify? Is this an OSR thing?

Funny how the same sales pitch that gets some people really excited is just bafflingly uninformative to others. I'm reading this like "But you are leaving out all the most important stuff! You are telling me everything except what I would need to know to decide whether or not to back."

While not a perfect answer, Six Feats Under appears to have uploaded an AP of the game that I'll check out later. The fluff is enough to get me interested, but I would like to see how the engine runs. Or at least see the engine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Down at the bottom it says it's a d10 pool keep-the-highest system.

quote:

Spire uses a straightforward D10-based system to resolve conflicts. It focuses on storytelling over simulation: the more skilled and knowledgeable the character is about the action and the location it takes place in, the more D10s they roll, and pick the highest. Generally, rolling higher is better, but most of the time - succeed or fail - characters will accrue stress as part of the action.

The more stress a character has, the more chance that it will hurt them in the form of fallout - serious repercussions that they’ve earned for pushing their luck too far. (Or simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.) Spire doesn’t weigh physical, mental or emotional damage differently - they’re all treated the same, and they’re all at stake when you work for the resistance.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Spire seems pretty meh with the information they have so far. The setting is kind of interesting, but it's basically Blades in the Dark with fantasy races and I can just do that myself. The fact that there is so little information about the system is worrisome as well. All in all I'm not sure what this could do better than Blades in the Dark, the Planarch Codex, Cryptomancer, or a generic system.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

I was a playtester so I can answer a few questions. The game's a d10 pool, take the highest, with your highest dice giving you a success category (no and, no but, yes but, yes and). Your character has a particular playbook with a lot of flavourful moves: the idol starts with the ability to summon a party into existence with next to no setup time, and at high levels can cause anyone who looks at them to tear their eyes out from their beauty. Other classes have similar progression, from batman empowered with small gods bound into his gear to a jackal-owning priest of death. The big thing is that you get advances by changing the Spire - as your group carries out your revolution, you get more tools to play with even as the Spire falls into chaos.

The system's pretty neat, and I liked how you had health tracks for your social status, your health, your anonymity etc. But it's definitely colouring within very similar lines to Blades in the Dark, so if the setting doesn't grab you I'd say stick with Blades and maybe try out the Spire quickstart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Down at the bottom it says it's a d10 pool keep-the-highest system.

Thanks! I must have been skimming by the time I got down there. That is somewhat useful - tells me that it's not just D&D, at least. I'll still have to go listen to 6FU to figure out if we are talking about task resolution with simple success or failure (plus "stress," I guess), multiple specific outcomes depending on the roll like PbtA, multiple general outcomes like Strike!, or what. I feel like that info is pretty key for getting an idea as to what kind of game I'm looking at. Like I say, I'll listen to 6FU and figure it out.

Edit: whoop, the post above me just answered some of my questions. Thanks to you, too!