Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

They (spearheaded by Bill Simmons) are still very mad at Doc Rivers still for reasons I don’t totally get and the claim is that Doc playing his son is why Chris wanted out.

Simmons also really really really likes to pretend he's a Clippers Insider because he goes to like 10 games a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That rumor you heard? Boston media started it drat Danny did it again

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
If your point is that Bill Simmons is trying to make a story out of some stupid poo poo because he had a little tiff with Doc Rivers, I definitely believe it though

E: This guy from ESPN started it https://twitter.com/michaeleaves
https://www.facebook.com/MrMichaelEaves/posts/1239427866166362

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MourningView posted:

Simmons also really really really likes to pretend he's a Clippers Insider because he goes to like 10 games a year

Bill Simmons is such a gigantic throbbing Celtics fan (transplanted to Los Angeles at the time, mind you) that he turned his daughter into a Clippers fan so none of his children would cheer for the Lakers, and I'm not even making that up.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Biyombo

Sit down

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
[quote="“Cool Buff Man”" post="“474244485”"]
If your point is that Bill Simmons is trying to make a story out of some stupid poo poo because he had a little tiff with Doc Rivers, I definitely believe it though

E: This guy from ESPN started it https://twitter.com/michaeleaves
https://www.facebook.com/MrMichaelEaves/posts/1239427866166362
[/quote]

I am sorry for painting with a general brush, in my head all of ESPN is Boston Media which I know is not (completely) true.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

I am sorry for painting with a general brush, in my head all of ESPN is Boston Media which I know is not (completely) true.

I hear you, it's just that the Boston media as I see/experience it is an even more ridiculous beast than ESPN's spin machine. It involves hack newspapers, CSN, and radio stations where rumors are treated as complete fact and people argue that Larry Bird was better than Lebron constantly and if there was a huge push to call Austin Rivers a homewrecker I would have definitely heard it and loved it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Away all Goats posted:

Biyombo deserves every penny he got for dragging my dumb team to heights they will likely not see again in the near future.

I don't think he dragged the Raptors anywhere. He was nice and a good anchor but the teams gonna keep on Raptoring. Who's ready for another year of near unwatchable iso ball, 45-50 wins and a second round exit? Let's go!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

NickRoweFillea posted:

Biyombo

Sit down

why aren't there any Biyombo highlights videos set to Humble

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

attackmole posted:

I don't think he dragged the Raptors anywhere. He was nice and a good anchor but the teams gonna keep on Raptoring. Who's ready for another year of near unwatchable iso ball, 45-50 wins and a second round exit? Let's go!

'dragging' is a bit of hyperbole, but his rim protection, illegal screens and general self confidence were exactly what the team needed to advance in the playoffs. Biz actually tried to hold people accountable for loving up defensively

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Using 3PM as the measurement then SAS was an average team last year and I am not skeptical of their ability to win a chip (even if they are an underdog). If you say 3P% is the way you should measure it, then you are saying Houston is an average 3-point team and I would say you are mistaken.

You must look at 3P and 3P% simultaneously by using the formula: 3NP = 3 * 3P - 3PA

code:
3NP	Team
422	Cleveland Cavaliers
384	Golden State Warriors
332	San Antonio Spurs
The three teams with the best 3P shooting were the three title favorites (and it's been this way for nearly the entire decade). The last time a mediocre 3P team won the title was 2010 (Lakers).

proctorbot posted:

Big3 is pretty entertaining.

https://youtu.be/Vg8qYQddhXw

It would be good if they took all these BIG3 players and allowed them to play on NCAA teams and gave them those honorary degrees in Basketball.

DeimosRising posted:

I'm sure he's judging by net 3p which at the results level is correct imo

Lockback posted:

I don't know how to find that per team.

DeimosRising posted:

If it's available I don't know where, I think he spreadsheets it

Yes, it's not something that any site tracks. Another way of looking at it is using a formula I'd call A3NP = 3 * 3P - 3 * Lg3P% * 3PA

3NP has a breakeven point at 33.3% but A3NP uses the league average in a given year (.357 this year).

code:
A3NP		Team
220.2	Cleveland Cavaliers
198.0	Golden State Warriors
192.1	San Antonio Spurs
Again the three realistic title teams last year finished 1, 2 and 3.

Lockback posted:

I have to get up at 5am tomorrow to catch a plane with my 6 year old daughter. I mention this because I just checked that this laptop does have excel and the math for net points is easy. I think it would just end up mostly the same as 3PM, because the split in shooting % is much smaller than the splits in attempts.

The correlation between 3NP and 3P is .6 this past year so it's a strong correlation but there's still plenty of room for major differences. The correlation between A3NP and 3P is .43

Houston is not a great 3P shooting team. They are a great 3P chucking team. Some of their games it might as well have been Shaq shooting from behind the line. That one playoff game against OKC it felt like they shot 5for40 or something.

Houston had an A3NP of -3 this past year. So one can conclude that in today's game it's better to take fewer threes and shoot them at an elite percentage rather than taking lots of threes and shooting at an average percentage. This is the difference between the Spurs and the Rockets in recent years.

The Rockets are that cargo cult team futilely trying to replicate teams with actual 3P shooting talent. It's like teams in the 1990s trying to run the triangle and be the Bulls as if the style of play would spontaneously generate their random players into Jordan/Pippen/Rodman clones.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

What, uh...what is the plan for the Bulls, if one exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r5byXcQMGg

Tae posted:

The front office chose their coach over their superstar

The FO also chose an Iowa/Nebraska farmer over the true and deposed and legitimate coach that was ousted in a coup.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 11, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

I think their plan was to blow up the team years ago, but all nba players just kept popping up, foiling their plans. I mean how else can you explain a team so desperate to get rid of a top 10 player under a great contract? The dude doesn't even seem like a malcontent.

They lost faith in rose, then Noah has a career year, and protected Rose, so they had to build a case to get rid of both, so they placed blame on coach and Butler. Butler turned out better than both, but they already picked their path, and that battle twisted and force them into thinking they weren't wrong, and Butler wasn't good enough, and now you are here.

It brings up interesting hypotheticals. The idea of this Bulls franchise trading away young Shaq, LBJ or KD is becoming less outlandish.

Niwrad posted:

Cameron Payne is so bad. He's a 3rd year player in Summer League who looks like the worst person on the court at all times. It's incredible.

Also when this team wins 18 games GarPax is going to be smug about how this was all part of the plan to be bad.

If Wade gets injured or takes a few weeks off this could be the worst team in the entire league.

82 games condensed to one minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q86Rn4jETVk

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

MourningView posted:

I have season tickets. And you see the guys on the bench. And I talk to people in my section. And it's not good. I always tell Tate. What do I say, Tate? (...) Exactly, it's not good. Doc is scared. You can tell. He has no plan. And a guy like Paul isn't tall enough to impose his will in the playoffs. He's what? 5 foot 10? Hold on... HOUSE OF CARBS!!!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

'dragging' is a bit of hyperbole, but his rim protection, illegal screens and general self confidence were exactly what the team needed to advance in the playoffs. Biz actually tried to hold people accountable for loving up defensively

Raptors fans are so weird

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

attackmole posted:

As a Wolves fan, I'm so loving in for this experience.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
This just popped up on my Youtube list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz29FUCJWWc

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

predicto posted:

Nope. Because in California voters get to put the issue n the ballot and vote on it directly. Which is why SF told the 49ers to gently caress off, and told the Giants to build their ballpark with their own money (which they did) and why the Warriors are building their new toilet bowl with their own money.

Uh there isn't some state law that says you have to put stadium financing bonds to a public vote, sometimes cities do it and sometimes they dont.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Did the results ever get posted for that preseason questionnaire? With like rookie of the year and stuff.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember when the Kings could have traded Rudy for Payne before he blew out this Achilles. Can't believe we ended up ahead on that missed opportunity

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Zogo posted:

Another way of looking at it is using a formula I'd call A3NP = 3 * 3P - 3 * Lg3P% * 3PA

Houston had an A3NP of -3 this past year.

Concluding that Houston is a bad three point shooting team (in their strategy or their skill) because of their near zero A3NP is flawed logic, I think. You want a metric that takes all possessions like LgTS% rather than Lg3P%. It could be that accuracy and frequency are inversely related and so the optimal strategy is shooting more at a lower accuracy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paracaidas posted:

As a Wolves fan, I'm so loving in for this experience.

It can be fun sometimes, we're just serial complainers. Beats the Bargs era for sure. On the other hand, its an eminently frustrating era because everything this article talks about has pretty much held constant for the last 4 years (and will continue to hold for next season barring a miracle)

https://theringer.com/serge-ibaka-doesnt-fix-toronto-s-problems-b6381db0fe5

First world problem for sure, but they're easy to pick on.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 11, 2017

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ammanas posted:

Uh there isn't some state law that says you have to put stadium financing bonds to a public vote, sometimes cities do it and sometimes they dont.

Im pretty sure that if the city council doesn't put it on the ballot, then voters can gather signatures to qualify it for the ballot without the involvement of the city council. Sometimes there are competing measures - one put on by the city council and one by the voters. That's what happened with the 49ers stadium

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Simmons has all the takes! Lebron, Wall, Cousins and Paul George on the Lakers in 12 months. Congratulations, Rick.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rick posted:

Rooting for a bad team is dumb and you shouldn't do it if you can choose otherwise in good conscience.

Rooting for a bad (bad players) team is fun when they have a good (Hinkie) front office. It's fun to watch smart people build good teams.

Handsome Hollywoodsman Brad Pitt agrees, that's why he starred in a baseball movie about it. Looking forward to The Process: The Movie, starring maybe a pudgy Steve Buschemi as Sam Hinkie? That's the only name that comes to me now, at 7AM, while I drink coffee. That guy from The Professional would play a bumbling Vlade pretty well.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cool Buff Man posted:

I hear you, it's just that the Boston media as I see/experience it is an even more ridiculous beast than ESPN's spin machine. It involves hack newspapers, CSN, and radio stations where rumors are treated as complete fact and people argue that Larry Bird was better than Lebron constantly and if there was a huge push to call Austin Rivers a homewrecker I would have definitely heard it and loved it

I don't know how you can listen to that garbage. The radio is the worst.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

Rooting for a bad (bad players) team is fun when they have a good (Hinkie) front office. It's fun to watch smart people build good teams.

Handsome Hollywoodsman Brad Pitt agrees, that's why he starred in a baseball movie about it. Looking forward to The Process: The Movie, starring maybe a pudgy Steve Buschemi as Sam Hinkie? That's the only name that comes to me now, at 7AM, while I drink coffee. That guy from The Professional would play a bumbling Vlade pretty well.

Those A's teams were insanely good

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man can you imagine how insanely awesome it must be to be a like 9 year old Warriors fan?

thats gotta be the best sports fan feeling in the world

i am way jealous of those children

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

Me. I'm ready!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rather be a 9 year old 76ers fan TBH.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Man can you imagine how insanely awesome it must be to be a like 9 year old Warriors fan?

When I was that age I was cheering for championship Oiler and Bluejays teams.

It gets worse but I guess that's part of growing up. :smith:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Chairchucker posted:

Rather be a 9 year old 76ers fan TBH.

Why? Why would you not as a kid want to root for the super fun shooty team that plays every game like an all star game and never loses?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

the_american_dream posted:

Why? Why would you not as a kid want to root for the super fun shooty team that plays every game like an all star game and never loses?

76ers are gonna be good when these kids have followed the team for long enough to care more about how well they do.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ramadu posted:

I'm a Yankees fan and was born in '91.

I can confirm it is the greatest thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was 9 when Jordan won his first. 9-16 was like the perfect age to be a Kid in Chicago during the Bulls run. At that age basketball can be there most important thing in your life and your not a weirdo who has to go on the internet to find people to geek with.

Also, Young Scrappy 30 win teams can be super fun too, and people who don't think so are dead inside.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

I was 9 when Jordan won his first. 9-16 was like the perfect age to be a Kid in Chicago during the Bulls run. At that age basketball can be there most important thing in your life and your not a weirdo who has to go on the internet to find people to geek with.

Also, Young Scrappy 30 win teams can be super fun too, and people who don't think so are dead inside.

I think the only teams I'd struggle to enjoy are the Year 3 of the 32-37 win death zone types

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

morestuff posted:

I think the only teams I'd struggle to enjoy are the Year 3 of the 32-37 win death zone types

You can just say the Eastern Conference, you don't need to spare anyone's feelings here

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's gonna be funny if the Sixers core never quite gets there and they wind up in the same perpetual 4-5 seed range The Process deemed as worse than being at the bottom.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Imagine not having a generational talent and cool team to root for when you were 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

It's gonna be funny if the Sixers core never quite gets there and they wind up in the same perpetual 4-5 seed range The Process deemed as worse than being at the bottom.

At least they took a shot

Though I don't think this ownership will allow another rebuild so yeah we'd be stuck

• Locked thread