Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Jinnigan posted:

ugh how do i scale glacial cascade into the lategame as an elementalist? so far i've been using added fire damage and phys to lightning (to proc herald of thunder - coh - assassin's mark) but it's starting to hit a plateau, and i'm not even in yellow maps yet

my other question is: is there a cool ES regen build I could go with occultist?

Go all-in on one element and link the applicable Penetration support, or go crit and stack crit multi, or do both. If you don't want to go crit, make sure you're using Elemental Overload. Those are pretty much your only options for big damage scaling I think.

As for Occultist, either Essence Drain + Contagion, or Blight + Abyssal Cry should work well with lots of ES and Zealot's Oath since those builds can't leech anyway and you get that sweet -20% enemy chaos resist from your ascendancy. Blight really sucks for single-target though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Blight really really really needs cast speed and skill effect duration to be effective but it does acceptable single target.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I think anything that doesn't have spectacular single target in 2.6 is gonna feel like utter poo poo in 3.0, where map bosses have, just, way too much HP

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Jinnigan posted:

I think anything that doesn't have spectacular single target in 2.6 is gonna feel like utter poo poo in 3.0, where map bosses have, just, way too much HP

This is a big part of why I'm leaning towards srs as a league starter. Gonna play with it in the next 2 week because not much should change.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Katasi posted:

This is a big part of why I'm leaning towards srs as a league starter. Gonna play with it in the next 2 week because not much should change.

Can you link a guide? SRS sounds pretty neat, and I've never actually played any sort of summoner.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

silvergoose posted:

Can you link a guide? SRS sounds pretty neat, and I've never actually played any sort of summoner.

I haven't decided yet what exactly I'm going to do. I'll give a trip report after turmoil. All I've really decided so far is that I want to use the baron, and have zombies as a meat shield and leech source.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Here's a baron SRS guide the #2 guy in SSF HC mayhem used. He doesn't use zombies though, says they are too slow and the leech isn't relevant.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm running SRS right now in the beta, I'm liking it so far and it's certainly far better than the wand Gladiator that was my other character. I plan on transitioning into a poison/added chaos Animate Ranged Weapon build so I can try out all of the new poison gems.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
What's likely to be the least used Ascendancy in this coming turmoil 2 week thing?

Ascendant?
Hierophant?
Saboteur?
Champion?
Deadeye?

My strategy for a shot at winning a thing is to just choose the least competitive option and then build the highest survivability I can and then try to slow and steady my way to the top. Not likely that I'll beat out the dozens of highly skilled pathfinders or berserkers or whatever, so this way is my best chance.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

What's likely to be the least used Ascendancy in this coming turmoil 2 week thing?

Ascendant?
Hierophant?
Saboteur?
Champion?
Deadeye?

My strategy for a shot at winning a thing is to just choose the least competitive option and then build the highest survivability I can and then try to slow and steady my way to the top. Not likely that I'll beat out the dozens of highly skilled pathfinders or berserkers or whatever, so this way is my best chance.

Probably ascendant. The highest one from last race was only 96.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

J posted:

Here's a baron SRS guide the #2 guy in SSF HC mayhem used. He doesn't use zombies though, says they are too slow and the leech isn't relevant.

didn't zombies get better in 3.0? I'm using them right now with my beta witch srs baron build, and I really very much enjoy them

e: although I guess thinking about it, they probably aren't fast enough to get the real good clear speeds other builds would give you in maps, so that's probably still true... but i love my zombros and I'm heavily considering just sticking with this build for the league start

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 11, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Mr. Whale posted:

Probably ascendant. The highest one from last race was only 96.

The not-SSF HC race actually had an ascendant at 99 when I was playing.

That was my initial idea but this guy wrecked poo poo with an elementalist/assassin LL frostbolt miner, of all things

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

boxcarhobo posted:

didn't zombies get better in 3.0? I'm using them right now with my beta witch srs baron build, and I really very much enjoy them

e: although I guess thinking about it, they probably aren't fast enough to get the real good clear speeds other builds would give you in maps, so that's probably still true... but i love my zombros and I'm heavily considering just sticking with this build for the league start

Zombies have real poo poo aggro range / AI compared to something like SRS or Spectres.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I seem to have resolved my connection issues by switching from the 5 ghz wifi in my house to the 2.4 ghz. :shrug:

Anyway... are invasion bosses soloable? Wondering if I should use this leaguestone I found a while back.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

enraged_camel posted:

Well, I seem to have resolved my connection issues by switching from the 5 ghz wifi in my house to the 2.4 ghz. :shrug:

Anyway... are invasion bosses soloable? Wondering if I should use this leaguestone I found a while back.

Absolutely soloable. They are comparable to any other Orange text zone boss which exists, generally.

The difficulty comes from the fact that most people are unaware of their abilities, because a lot of them haven't been around in years.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
"Oh, this is just a dumb crab that keeps spawning adds. Shouldn't be prob-"

*EXPLOSIONS*

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/884613011272380420

So....basically Mayhem again?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

whypick1 posted:

"Oh, this is just a dumb crab that keeps spawning adds. Shouldn't be prob-"

*EXPLOSIONS*

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/884613011272380420

So....basically Mayhem again?

Sounds like Mayhem but with: Perandus, and Beyond, and Nemesis, and Bloodlines, and no Bladeback Guardians

Bex_GGG[S] [score hidden] a minute ago
There's a 33% chance of Cadiro per zone with the Perandus mod.

Bex_GGG[S] [score hidden] 9 minutes ago
It's five of each thing. (Excluding Beyond where it's a percentage chance)

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 11, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh yeah hmm did they release the rewards for the previous race already?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

frajaq posted:

Oh yeah hmm did they release the rewards for the previous race already?

yes

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Eh, that's pretty darn boring.

The wait for 3.0 continues.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Am I missing something, or does a Scorching Ray + Cast While Channeling + Firestorm build do absolutely stupid damage when you pick up all the skill effect duration nodes by Scion? I'm using a calculator that gives a 23% chance of any given firestorm impact hitting a target in the effect's area.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You're not wrong. Increased duration buffs both SR (debuff lasts longer) and FS (each cast sticks around longer), so good synergy there.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
New race is disappointing. Here I was hoping for uber-mayhem and we get a lovely legacy instead? Hopefully Reddit whining comes through and they void it and make it crazy.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vanguard Warden posted:

Am I missing something, or does a Scorching Ray + Cast While Channeling + Firestorm build do absolutely stupid damage when you pick up all the skill effect duration nodes by Scion? I'm using a calculator that gives a 23% chance of any given firestorm impact hitting a target in the effect's area.

this build screams for a 6L btw, unless you're getting a staff this might be too pricey for the 2w

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

loving around in path of building right now for self-cast scorching ray. Which ascendancy is the best way to go between Trickster, Inquisitor and Slayer? I think the tree can be made to work with any of the three. Trickster has that frenzy charge generation along with a dot node. Slayer has that huge 40% more node, and maybe some sustain from the warcry node? Inquisitor has a couple of elemental damage nodes.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Why is GGG still so incredibly clumsy at balancing this game? I love it to bits, but they seem to be mostly unable to nerf anything without destroying it. I mean it's not even that hard - just don't push multiple nerfs impacting the same issue at the same time (eg. ES). Before 3.0, CI builds were too strong and now there's 0 reason to ever use CI.

Filthy Monkey posted:

loving around in path of building right now for self-cast scorching ray. Which ascendancy is the best way to go between Trickster, Inquisitor and Slayer? I think the tree can be made to work with any of the three. Trickster has that frenzy charge generation along with a dot node. Slayer has that huge 40% more node, and maybe some sustain from the warcry node? Inquisitor has a couple of elemental damage nodes.

New Ascendant might be worth a look, you get most of the interesting parts of Trickster and Inquisitor in regards to SR.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

psy.Che posted:

Why is GGG still so incredibly clumsy at balancing this game? I love it to bits, but they seem to be mostly unable to nerf anything without destroying it. I mean it's not even that hard - just don't push multiple nerfs impacting the same issue at the same time (eg. ES). Before 3.0, CI builds were too strong and now there's 0 reason to ever use CI

They have said that they intentionally over-nerf dominant stuff to switch up the meta. Although personally I think that might work with individual skills but isn't such a great idea for something so unavoidable for many characters as ES.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

gonadic io posted:

They have said that they intentionally over-nerf dominant stuff to switch up the meta. Although personally I think that might work with individual skills but isn't such a great idea for something so unavoidable for many characters as ES.

You're right. That makes it more consistent but not less stupid I guess. Why not just level the playing field as far as possible? Same with double dipping nerfs/map boss HP increase - more build diversity by forcing everybody to run a single target skill or skip map bosses?

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, skipping map bosses is part of the efficiency meta already.

Maybe they plan on buffing drop rates for bosses.

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 11, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tabletops posted:

New race is disappointing. Here I was hoping for uber-mayhem and we get a lovely legacy instead? Hopefully Reddit whining comes through and they void it and make it crazy.

Reddit whining is what made it non-void

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

psy.Che posted:

Before 3.0, CI builds were too strong and now there's 0 reason to ever use CI.

People have killed shaper on beta as CI

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tabletops posted:

Pretty sure it was Reddit whining that made ggg tone it down and make it safe and low loot for all the lame rear end standard players.

Not even bladeback guardians, smh

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

TheRat posted:

People have killed shaper on beta as CI

Your point being?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

psy.Che posted:

Your point being?

That ci is still plenty strong?

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

That ci is still plenty strong?

Their build seems to have been strong. I guess they could have just saved that passive point?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean I'm not saying that I totally agree with removing the nodes behind it, but chaos damage immunity is a pretty good perk.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

psy.Che posted:

Their build seems to have been strong. I guess they could have just saved that passive point?

wat

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Of course, chaos damage immunity is nice to have, on the other hand there's a reason why most life builds max elemental resistances but ignore chaos resistance.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
CI is supposed to be a weird niche but this game is so lousy with one-shot mechanics that it became mandatory. Now I get the impression that they want to see hybrid builds work, but as long as life leech is in the game we'll be playing around lovely instakill mechanics that are poorly communicated to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

psy.Che posted:

Of course, chaos damage immunity is nice to have, on the other hand there's a reason why most life builds max elemental resistances but ignore chaos resistance.

Yeah but if you have like ~1100 hp behind your fully specced shield why not just take the immunity? If something with chaos damage even sneezes on you, you're gonna die. Every time I'm about to make the switch in that weird 4k/2k hybrid stage I feel paper-like until I actually take CI and spec out of life.

• Locked thread