Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

orcane posted:

Where is that 4% number coming from?

On three targets: You hardcast them on one target, bane puts them on the second one at 100%, then 80% for the third. Before, the third target was 90%. 2.8/2.9 ~= 0.965. So yeah, about 4%.

quote:

Also Shadowflare nerf is 50%, Miasma 2 is gone, Blizzard 2 is gone.

That is literally the point of the post you quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

cheetah7071 posted:

Check your weapon in particular, it's wildly the most important piece of gear for every class, including tanks and healers.

Primo advice right here! Been leveling MRD and i was super excited to finally get dungeon queues unlocked so i went into it and immediately had a lovely experience in Copperbell Mines. Coulden't hold aggro worth a drat, my damage was horrible and the one big pull i did almost ended in a wipe. It wasen't until the healer yelled at me to change my weapon did i notice i still had a level 5 axe equipped, immediately switched to the one i got from the 15 quest and things were back to what they were suppose to be.

You see the small changes in numbers you get new weapons but it really,really makes huge difference.

Also had a Red Mage question, if get a Verfire or Verstone proc, do i want to use those as is or do i want to Jolt first to instacast it? The cast times on those are short like Jolt's so i assume you're suppose to just cast them normally but the mana gained is about the same either way i think?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

VHGS posted:

On three targets: You hardcast them on one target, bane puts them on the second one at 100%, then 80% for the third. Before, the third target was 90%. 2.8/2.9 ~= 0.965. So yeah, about 4%.

That is literally the point of the post you quoted.

Didn't bane have a 50% penalty for the 4th enemy and up, instead of the 90/80/etc. % treatment of some other AoE spells? Or when was that changed?

The other abilities were not meant as a reply to that post. Literally not, but thanks for replying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Primo advice right here! Been leveling MRD and i was super excited to finally get dungeon queues unlocked so i went into it and immediately had a lovely experience in Copperbell Mines. Coulden't hold aggro worth a drat, my damage was horrible and the one big pull i did almost ended in a wipe. It wasen't until the healer yelled at me to change my weapon did i notice i still had a level 5 axe equipped, immediately switched to the one i got from the 15 quest and things were back to what they were suppose to be.

You see the small changes in numbers you get new weapons but it really,really makes huge difference.

Also had a Red Mage question, if get a Verfire or Verstone proc, do i want to use those as is or do i want to Jolt first to instacast it? The cast times on those are short like Jolt's so i assume you're suppose to just cast them normally but the mana gained is about the same either way i think?

Hardcast your 2 second cast time spells, instacast your 4 second ones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Didn't bane have a 50% penalty for the 4th enemy and up, instead of the 90/80/etc. % treatment of some other AoE spells? Or when was that changed?

The other abilities were not meant as a reply to that post. Literally not, but thanks for replying.

Yes, that's how bane used to work. Honestly, at 70 or 100 potency per tick (if you're a smn it's 2x50), it's about where aoes with no falloff are, they should just remove it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Yes, that's how bane used to work. Honestly, at 70 or 100 potency per tick (if you're a smn it's 2x50), it's about where aoes with no falloff are, they should just remove it.

That's what I've been thinking, and I agree.

With the "50% potency after the 4th enemy" design as a comparison, the nerf is larger and ramps up quickly. The low % numbers for small groups make the Bane nerf seem insignificant on its own, but there are many dungeons (even in SB) where you want to AoE larger groups than just 3-4 mobs so it's not really a good point.

Up to like 30% less damage on top of all the other stuff they nerfed still adds up, reverting only the Bane change or changing it to a more gradual drop-off (-10% to -50% eg.) would not fix AoE, but it would be a start. Even with Shadowflare on top, it wouldn't be OMGHUGE damage, but if the problem is being able to heal while your AoE ticks, they'll have to move some damage into direct damage AoE (and at some point it would be the 3rd version of Holy, but I would take it over the mess we have right now).

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Xun posted:

which hat is that?

It is the Kudzu Hat of Healing

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy poo poo what the hell did they do to abyssal drain, it barely heals at all now

i killed myself in library by accident because i havent played since the change and wasn't expecting that at all

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Clarste posted:

Isn't that roughly the idea behind the Enkindle cd they already have?

Yeah, but hopefully more often than once every three minutes or whatever it is now. Make Summon actions a job meter, is what I'm saying. Spend 100 for Enkindle, 30 for an AoE skill, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Verfire and Verstone have the same cast time as Jolt, so you want to use them like you would Jolt if you have a proc: cast one of those, then follow it up with a long spell. The advantage is that they give significantly more mana than Jolt and also do more damage, so you always want to use them instead of Jolt if you have a proc. The same is true when you get Impact at 66. Ideally, you should cast Jolt as little as possible--it's basically the spell you cast only when you don't have the procs to cast something better.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

UHD posted:

Does any job besides monk, ninja, or casters actually care about Arrows? Because I usually just throw one on myself if I'm unsure but I don't wanna be the rear end in a top hat costing the rando dragoon his deeps.

It fucks up the sub 68 BLM AoE rotation if you don't know it's there but otherwise I don't see why you wouldn't use it. Faster attack speed equals more deeps and all that.

I got an enhanced arrow while under ley lines without warning once and it was like I was driving an out of control car.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've played this game since patch 2.3 and I touched crafting for the first time two days ago. I leved alchemist to level 50 in two days so I can do the moogle quests, so I can get the really sweet dance they give.

This is a lot of work for a loving dance.

Pretty sure I'm playing the game right.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

UHD posted:

Does any job besides monk, ninja, or casters actually care about Arrows? Because I usually just throw one on myself if I'm unsure but I don't wanna be the rear end in a top hat costing the rando dragoon his deeps.

It can make SAM timings slightly awkward but it's usually workable with

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Stormgale posted:

It can make SAM timings slightly awkward but it's usually workable with

Really?

I don't play SAM so I just assumed Arrow = build gauge faster = more of that really shiny attack with the sweet sound effects

That's the same reason I prioritize arrow to red mages.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Thanks all, I think my gear is just hosed. I'm on a new server so I have the road to 60 buff and so I'm way overlevelled for the content around me since I started out hitting every single quest instead of just keeping myself in line it's the story. This has led to picking up upgrades very piecemeal from the quests I feel like doing rather than mopping up every possible option like I would be without a super xp buff, so I'll sit down at some point and look at a sensible set of upgrades to try and fix it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Renegret posted:

I've played this game since patch 2.3 and I touched crafting for the first time two days ago. I leved alchemist to level 50 in two days so I can do the moogle quests, so I can get the really sweet dance they give.

This is a lot of work for a loving dance.

Pretty sure I'm playing the game right.
That's pretty incredible to grasp the system and power to 50 in one go like that, even when you have a load of money to throw at ingredients. Hats off to you, also hahahahahaha you're doomed

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
gently caress yeah! Four items in Deltascape in four fights. Now these fights won't be turning to stale grindfests for another week still.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Random thought re: Stormblood ending cinematics: What if the body Elidibus is running around in isn't Gaius, but instead someone even more dear to the Emperor's heart? Such as.. Regula? 'Look, your friend isn't dead, he's right here!' would be the wrong-headed kind of thing Ed would try to do to be reassuring.

Future Speculation: It would actually make me laugh quite a bit if the writing team subverted expectations completely and, instead of fighting The Empire, they turn over a new leaf because the Ascians really just ARE that loving evil and the Emperor has a huge change of heart about World Domination. He's already halfway there anyway...

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 11, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CrashCat posted:

That's pretty incredible to grasp the system and power to 50 in one go like that, even when you have a load of money to throw at ingredients. Hats off to you, also hahahahahaha you're doomed

Hey it can't be that bad it only cost me about 1.5mil gil and 90 levequests. But oh man I should probably do something about my gear since I have white vendor gear and level 5 right side, and while I'm at it I might as well level the rest to 15 for the cross class skills, but I hear weaver is worth leveling to 50 but for that matter it would be nice to be able to repair my own equipment but I'm going to need a new retainer to hold on to all these crafting materials I used to vendor now

Oh gently caress guys I think a broke my leg in this rabbit hole where did it come from I didn't even see it there

can someone help

...anybody?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

a stupid question was here

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 12, 2017

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
So a person linked an argument on the OF in discord with nerds saying that tanks need to stop whining about doing dps

and then somebody linked this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLsjnqcXsI

I know how I'm going to play tank from now on

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Well maybe they shouldn't have popped Blood Price right at the beginning of the pull, then, cause I'm gonna spam holy and if they don't like it they can get hosed

My favorite is when neither the DRK or WHM start the pull with blood price or holy and then they both hit their abilities 3 gcds in.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Blood Price is for getting blood now, which just happens over time regardless of the enemies being stunned or not. They all but gutted the mp component and just set siphon strike = dark arts because mp management is hard.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gearhead posted:

Random thought re: Stormblood ending cinematics: What if the body Elidibus is running around in isn't Gaius, but instead someone even more dear to the Emperor's heart? Such as.. Regula? 'Look, your friend isn't dead, he's right here!' would be the wrong-headed kind of thing Ed would try to do to be reassuring.

Future Speculation: It would actually make me laugh quite a bit if the writing team subverted expectations completely and, instead of fighting The Empire, they turn over a new leaf because the Ascians really just ARE that loving evil and the Emperor has a huge change of heart about World Domination. He's already halfway there anyway...

That seems pretty unlikely after all the work they did to hammer in the point this expansion about how empires pretty much run on pointless cruelty.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Renegret posted:

Hey it can't be that bad it only cost me about 1.5mil gil and 90 levequests. But oh man I should probably do something about my gear since I have white vendor gear and level 5 right side, and while I'm at it I might as well level the rest to 15 for the cross class skills, but I hear weaver is worth leveling to 50 but for that matter it would be nice to be able to repair my own equipment but I'm going to need a new retainer to hold on to all these crafting materials I used to vendor now
You got to 50 without cross class skills? Did they massively lower the difficulty on crafting while I was away?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CrashCat posted:

You got to 50 without cross class skills? Did they massively lower the difficulty on crafting while I was away?

leves, deep pockets, and the market board. I didn't even do my class quests, and the only things I actually crafted with my own hands was some of the ixal beast tribe stuff.

e: I say deep pockets but really I didn't spend that much. And I did some normal quality turn ins for stuff where the HQ version was too expensive, I probably won't touch another crafter for a while anyway so I don't mind waiting for my leves to accumulate again.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Saint Freak posted:

Blood Price is for getting blood now, which just happens over time regardless of the enemies being stunned or not. They all but gutted the mp component and just set siphon strike = dark arts because mp management is hard.

Blood Price is so bad now, but even before it got nerfed complaining about a WHM stunning things was a huge whiny baby move. A bunch of Holies going off is worth way, WAY more damage than whatever the gently caress a DRK is going to do with that mana.

I almost have DRK to 70 and I can't believe people would get mad at someone dropping a magical nuke on the pull every free GCD.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Renegret posted:

the only things I actually crafted with my own hands was some of the ixal beast tribe stuff.

OH. :doh:

Yeah I didn't think about that, surprised you got it all that cheap then but I guess nobody particularly cares about the low level poo poo anymore.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For all the people having problems with the PS4 version redownloading the entire game after shutting down unexpectedly. Sony has released an update which is supposed to fix it:

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3f490aae215dfae97f56ce10cb0371701025ea54

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CrashCat posted:

OH. :doh:

Yeah I didn't think about that, surprised you got it all that cheap then but I guess nobody particularly cares about the low level poo poo anymore.

I imagine being an alchemist helped a bunch, because then you can do turn ins of garbage potions that people are trying to offload for cheap that they got as drops. The early stuff was dirt cheap though and I didn't start dropping any significant amount of money until I was 30.

One levequest was a repeatable Hi-Potion, which you can buy full stacks of 99 HQ ones for chump change on the market board.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hit 68 drk, bloodspiller definitely makes the class feel better

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

queeb posted:

hit 68 drk, bloodspiller definitely makes the class feel better

I like that bloodspiller is almost the same potency in or out of grit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloodspiller just feels ridiculously satisfying. It's sort of like the Samurai skill where the sound effect makes me think a Limit Break is happening.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Mr. Nice! posted:

I like that bloodspiller is almost the same potency in or out of grit.

yeah its great. I'm a lazy tank so I just sit in grit on all trash pulls anyways so having the extra potency on it there is nice. actually makes me hit blood price for once. I just drop grit on bosses since the incoming damage is usually less

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bloodspiller is a sick chaos dunk on the enemy. Too bad like every single other drk skill it's not an ogcd.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah if quietus and blood spiller were ogcd it would fuckin own. is it ever worth using quietus now that i have bloodspiller? i barely used it before

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

queeb posted:

yeah if quietus and blood spiller were ogcd it would fuckin own. is it ever worth using quietus now that i have bloodspiller? i barely used it before

With grit up:
For 67 and lower use quietus basically willy nilly for any aoe but that's it.

For 68+ only use quietus on AOE if you have 3+ mobs.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 11, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

queeb posted:

yeah its great. I'm a lazy tank so I just sit in grit on all trash pulls anyways so having the extra potency on it there is nice. actually makes me hit blood price for once. I just drop grit on bosses since the incoming damage is usually less

I don't want to be a lazy tank but I've got DRK at 69 and I don't understand how people could possibly drop grit on trash pulls. I have every piece of gear from Doma Castle equipped, and two-pack pulls tear me to ribbons with my tank stance on.

Is it just a post-70 thing once you gear up with 310 stuff? I can drop it no problem on bosses after an aggro combo, but good lord does trash hit hard.

vvv 3 enemies, scatter -> aero/thunder. 4+ enemies, scatter->scatter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am reminded:

What's the enemy number where spamming Scatter as a Red Mage is superior to weaving other spells in again?

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't want to be a lazy tank but I've got DRK at 69 and I don't understand how people could possibly drop grit on trash pulls. I have every piece of gear from Doma Castle equipped, and two-pack pulls tear me to ribbons with my tank stance on.

Is it just a post-70 thing once you gear up with 310 stuff? I can drop it no problem on bosses after an aggro combo, but good lord does trash hit hard.

It's partially gear and partially understanding your cooldowns, limits and trusting your healer. Don't drop Grit if you don't trust the person you're healing with. Remember that Living Dead exists and in dungeons its primary purpose is to keep you alive in big trash pulls because you'll probably never need it for a boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rainuwastaken posted:

Typically you shouldn't drop grit on trash (imo) unless you have 3-4 mobs remaining at most. Dropping grit on trash is mostly cleanup.

Now next week after they take my 270 slaying accessories away I'll probably have enough HP that it won't matter. :rip: