Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Stefan Prodan posted:

do you think LB would be willing to put in guillotines

You have been banned from the community forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its half price for the steam sale and I noticed it won this award

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i like how this poo poo show unraveling is just a pregame for crobblers' main event

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I went to twitch to see if people were streaming shroud, the best one had 15 viewers. What made the channel special is he was running DKP for his chat.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
What's dkp?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon kill points. It's where everyone bets on which member of the wizened early-internet community "the Ultima Dragons" is the next to commit suicide. If you guess right, you get a point.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Did you know:

You cannot buy a house in single player offline unless you spend hundreds of dollars of real money

The above is true.

They removed "lot deeds" from offline single player. You cannot get a house in your offline game unless you buy a lot deed from their real money store to tie to your account.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i didn't buy this game :smuggo: i make better life decisions than people who did

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Thursday Next posted:

Did you know:

You cannot buy a house in single player offline unless you spend hundreds of dollars of real money

The above is true.

They removed "lot deeds" from offline single player. You cannot get a house in your offline game unless you buy a lot deed from their real money store to tie to your account.

holy poo poo lmao

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

do you think LB would be willing to put in guillotines

Fetapults.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Thursday Next posted:

Did you know:

The above is true.

:grovertoot:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
PC Gamer: Richard Garriott on why "most game designers really just suck"

Richard Garriott posted:

I think there's really very few great game designers," he continued. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I thought this was new and the SOTA community was about to poo poo themselves.

Still pretty funny it came out in 2013, after RG made the turd that is U9 and the failure of Tabula Rasa.

In other news, I decided to actually try SOTA. So far I don't hate it, but I do wonder why I wouldn't rather dip in to ESO once in a while since it is just as empty and pointless but the UI and graphics are both much better. They both seem to be the same level of time wastey pointlessness, but SOTA is just rough.

After 5 hours, the worst part of SOTA is that the NPCs make noises gathered from all of the worst games that my kid plays on the ipad. They sound like Minecraft NPCs crossed with every pay to win farming free app push notifications. Ugh

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
One thing I have always found funny is that I CONSTANTLY hear sounds from UO in all sorts of movies and TV even now. They must have pulled all those sounds from some really famous free sound pack or something.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Stefan Prodan posted:

One thing I have always found funny is that I CONSTANTLY hear sounds from UO in all sorts of movies and TV even now. They must have pulled all those sounds from some really famous free sound pack or something.

The goat and sheep bleat I hear a lot, occasionally the cow mooing, and sometimes even the scorpion chittering sound. What really blew my mind was hearing the skeleton bone rattle when someone rattled pottery recently.

I would love to hear someone use that crazy ettin mating call, though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Percelus posted:

i didn't buy this game :smuggo: i make better life decisions than people who did

what if an aging gaming columnist licked your bellybutton

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unctuous Cretin posted:

The goat and sheep bleat I hear a lot, occasionally the cow mooing, and sometimes even the scorpion chittering sound. What really blew my mind was hearing the skeleton bone rattle when someone rattled pottery recently.

I would love to hear someone use that crazy ettin mating call, though.

Buffy used the spell fizzle sound a lot in combat, and the third part of JoJo uses the moving something in a pack sound. I hear a lot of the animal sounds everywhere too, mostly the hind and bear sounds for me

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Prerecorded sound libraries are everywhere in media and are pretty standard. Starcraft 1 uses the Howie scream, and many years later, so does Battlefield 1. I'm not sure if it's jarring or if it makes for an amusing memory to hear those familiar sounds time and time again.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm just mostly surprised it's the same ones from 1997

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If the sound ain't broke.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I guess I'm just mostly surprised it's the same ones from 1997

The Howie scream is from the 80s and the Wilhelm scream is from the 50s and both are still in regular use in sound libraries! :eng101: It's kind of amazing, really.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know about the Wilhelm scream, I actually have no idea what the Howie scream is

Also speaking of stock sounds, for whatever reason I hear Oblivion's door opening sounds in all sorts of things

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
There is this rusty/squeaky metal gate opening sound I must have heard in hundreds of movies and games at this point. I'm pretty sure you'll know which one I mean.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Stefan Prodan posted:

I know about the Wilhelm scream

A good band. Its p. awesome when actual talented musicians sit down and play punk rock

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mr. Pickles posted:

what if an aging gaming columnist licked your bellybutton

twitter blows up and your life is ruined forever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Granted this is from 2013 but lmao in retrospect. All of these people, Richard Garriot included, are horrible hacks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HungryMedusa posted:

I thought this was new and the SOTA community was about to poo poo themselves.

Still pretty funny it came out in 2013, after RG made the turd that is U9 and the failure of Tabula Rasa.

In other news, I decided to actually try SOTA. So far I don't hate it, but I do wonder why I wouldn't rather dip in to ESO once in a while since it is just as empty and pointless but the UI and graphics are both much better. They both seem to be the same level of time wastey pointlessness, but SOTA is just rough.

After 5 hours, the worst part of SOTA is that the NPCs make noises gathered from all of the worst games that my kid plays on the ipad. They sound like Minecraft NPCs crossed with every pay to win farming free app push notifications. Ugh

also credit where credit is due, teso has a story with a beginning, middle, and end. and there's no point where you just run into an empty area and say oh ok i guess they just... gave up.........

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I said come in! posted:

Granted this is from 2013 but lmao in retrospect. All of these people, Richard Garriot included, are horrible hacks.

Or undisputed masters of exploiting the dreams and aspirations of those who support them.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

A good band. Its p. awesome when actual talented musicians sit down and play punk rock

Seconding that this should now be a thread about A Wilhelm Scream.

Please go listen to The King Is Dead by them.

You're welcome.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Pretty sure modern day successful game designers just rolled their eyes and said "Whatever granddad."

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

also credit where credit is due, teso has a story with a beginning, middle, and end. and there's no point where you just run into an empty area and say oh ok i guess they just... gave up.........

True. Maybe I'll buy Morrowind. Take that, Beast British!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

twitter blows up and your life is ruined forever

I use Linkedin almost exclusively

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

quote:

Richard Garriott posted:
I think there's really very few great game designers," he continued. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn.

I don't agree with Chris Roberts, even though i have money in SC, CR's history is a clusterfuck. Will Wright may have had some lovely things, but he did basically create the sim universe...Have to give him that. Peter Molyneux has fable under his belt, so that's definitely a plus for him on the Original Fable. Garriot hasnt done poo poo well since the early days. I have a handwritten note from him inside my copy of Ultima VI, Only reason I haven't burned it is because it will probably be worth some money some day.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

I don't agree with Chris Roberts, even though i have money in SC, CR's history is a clusterfuck. Will Wright may have had some lovely things, but he did basically create the sim universe...Have to give him that. Peter Molyneux has fable under his belt, so that's definitely a plus for him on the Original Fable. Garriot hasnt done poo poo well since the early days. I have a handwritten note from him inside my copy of Ultima VI, Only reason I haven't burned it is because it will probably be worth some money some day.

I really doubt that will ever be worth money.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, what is the state of the game now? Is the seedvest drive still going? Will they release how much they make from it? Any news since the seedvest launch?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, what is the state of the game now? Is the seedvest drive still going? Will they release how much they make from it? Any news since the seedvest launch?

There are two answers to this line of questioning. This game will come out and be amazing. Or, this game, and its creator, is a loving hack.

There's a third answer, which is, it's too loving confusing and nobody knows. Except me. I know this game will come out and be amazing.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Theyve raised a hefty $187,057 out of the 2 million they need if im reading the seedinvest page correctly.

or wait they need to raise 25 million?

not sure what the goal is but its not looking too good. they got 27 more days left.

Also: Invest 30k and get the following.

$30,000: Golden Castle

All of the above
Tax Free Player Owned Town Castle Lot Deed
Exclusive Golden Airship (See Gallery)
Exclusive Golden Castle Walls (See Gallery)
Exclusive Golden Clockwork Pet Dragon (See Gallery)
Dinner with Lord and Lady British and other Golden Castle owners at their home Britannia Manor in New York City (travel expenses not included)

:lol: travel expenses not included.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Cool, we get to make an NPC vendor that makes fun of someone that buys a golden airship too.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

Cool, we get to make an NPC vendor that makes fun of someone that buys a golden airship too.

The dinner with Garriot and his wife sounds cool.

You can sit at a table with other people who were stupid enough to drop 30k on a terrible game and eat roasted quail or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

britannia manor sounds like it's in a contest with trump tower to be the most tasteless estate in the 5 boroughs