Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

wwwwwwwwhy are these people giving the pedobait show even 1.5 stars

Exact same reason as for Eromanga-sensei, apparently - high production values and a compelling, non-pedo first half to the episode before it took a hard right turn into horrible. In other words, it's one of those shows that's good at everything other than its basic, fundamental premise, which is hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wark Say posted:

OK, finished watching Castlevania. Ryotaro Okiayu as Trevor was a great casting choice. And while the series is far from perfect, it's pretty good, and as good a "serious" cartoon based on Castlevania as we're likely to get. Here's hoping the 2nd season that'll come next year does right by these episodes. That scene with the Bishop guy getting devoured was much more effective than I thought it'd be. Sometimes not showing is very effective. :stare:

I also thought that scene where some townsperson is trying to take down a length of intestine that a demon had apparently wrapped between poles as a garland was oddly funny. Just poking at it with a stick or something, like he's cleaning away ordinary trash. But yeah, the scene where the Bishop died could have been so bad given how heavy-handed the show was at times with regards to the church, but it was surprisingly one of the best scenes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

All the freakouts over Angel 3 Piece are hilarious, it was obviously a joke complete with musical stinger, but let me write a three paragraph rant about knees. I'm glad I didn't notice the name of the episode, the title card drop immediately after the horror cut ending is funnier than anything the show will do on purpose.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also I didn't realize that the last YowaPedal was the loving finale! Bad sports anime, you are supposed to run forever. Also what a bad spot to end.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I think making Trevor a lovely sassy drunk was a very good character choice and I love him a lot.

:same:

I'm amazed they managed to give Castlevania characters actual personalities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

I'm amazed they managed to give Castlevania characters actual personalities.

Most of it actually seems to be direct from the games. Except for Trevor.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of it actually seems to be direct from the games. Except for Trevor.

Dracula's personality is extrapolated from like, two lines of dialogue in Symphony of the Night, Sypha barely says anything in Dracula's Curse, and Trevor didn't have a personality at all, so there's definitely a fair bit of creative license.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

kater posted:

Also I didn't realize that the last YowaPedal was the loving finale! Bad sports anime, you are supposed to run forever. Also what a bad spot to end.

but we're gonna get more of the old third years! Now, yeah, their story arc was completed ages ago and they have no reason at all to still be in the show, but it the third years! You love them so they will never leave!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kater posted:

they already announced another season so sounds like it is?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Watching princess principal makes me miss darker than black. Though it's not a bad show, the visuals looks great, and I like how it doesn't merely ape steampunk conventions, but actually hammers in the privation and destruction of the human spirit during the Victorian age. And I knew from the opening sequence that the magic rock that powers the magic steampunk tech had better be polluting as gently caress.

A fan of the main character lying constantly, not a fan of character designs going too cutesy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Watching princess principal makes me miss darker than black. Though it's not a bad show, the visuals looks great, and I like how it doesn't merely ape steampunk conventions, but actually hammers in the privation and destruction of the human spirit during the Victorian age. And I knew from the opening sequence that the magic rock that powers the magic steampunk tech had better be polluting as gently caress.

A fan of the main character lying constantly, not a fan of character designs going too cutesy.

made a thread for it

i kind of like the bizarre mix between art styles because for me at least it highlights the "just roll with it" of the premise

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

The current trend now is to split up long running shonens into 2 cour seasons so they don't run into problems that One Piece currently has.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

THE BLUERAYS FOR KIZU 3 ARE FINALLY OUT! EXPECT SUBS SOON!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Smartphone makes me think isekai novel adaptations will become the new plague upon anime. At least it's easy to digest and not very offensive.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah and what's with all the sports anime and other assorted shonen

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there have been lovely isekai adaptations for years, why are people acting like it's the new hotness

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The sports isekai: I Died at Koushien but Brought Underwater Bike Volleyball to this Male Only World

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I would watch Blood Bowl: The Anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cake Attack posted:

there have been lovely isekai adaptations for years, why are people acting like it's the new hotness
Has there been anything better than Konosuba (Comedy) / Re:Zero (Drama/Horror) adapted to anime from the Isekai novel boom?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

chumbler posted:

The sports isekai: I Died at Koushien but Brought Underwater Bike Volleyball to this Male Only World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjj_BBRyRY

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Has there been anything better than Konosuba (Comedy) / Re:Zero (Drama/Horror) adapted to anime from the Isekai novel boom?
Nope!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Log Horizon

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Grimgar was pretty good too, but barely isekai in that the characters don't remember anything concrete about Earth.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

kater posted:

All the freakouts over Angel 3 Piece are hilarious, it was obviously a joke complete with musical stinger, but let me write a three paragraph rant about knees. I'm glad I didn't notice the name of the episode, the title card drop immediately after the horror cut ending is funnier than anything the show will do on purpose.

The contrast between the first half of the episode and That Ending was kind of amazing in a way. I have never seen a show take such a sharp and terrible turn in such a short time.

And then I made this connection and laughed a lot more than I should have:
https://twitter.com/esselfortium/status/884482585677754372

:psypop:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

The contrast between the first half of the episode and That Ending was kind of amazing in a way. I have never seen a show take such a sharp and terrible turn in such a short time.

And then I made this connection and laughed a lot more than I should have:
https://twitter.com/esselfortium/status/884482585677754372

:psypop:

Oh my god. You're going to hell.

Good work tho

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, Log Horizon and Grimgar were great and to be fair, SAO has some great music.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

There have been a bunch of good ones like Escaflowne and El Hazard from before they were cool

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Now and Then, Here and There :smith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

Log Horizon
Right! I remember that being deece. :)

brainwrinkle posted:

Grimgar was pretty good too, but barely isekai in that the characters don't remember anything concrete about Earth.
I remember watching this. Was this the one where the MC's were poor, barely able to fight and miserable 24/7? (Not unlike RE:Zero)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Right! I remember that being deece. :)

I remember watching this. Was this the one where the MC's were poor, barely able to fight and miserable 24/7? (Not unlike RE:Zero)
I remember infinitely more things from Re Zero than I did from (Dat rear end and lovely sponsored soundtrack) Grimgar.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do you pick up?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Now and Then, Here and There :smith:

This show has not aged well, as I discovered trying to watch that show recently. It's too 90s it hurts, and takes away from the emotional impact it tries to create.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, Log Horizon and Grimgar were great and to be fair, SAO has some great music.
I am ambivalent about Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack work (I do like Kalafina a whole bunch, though), but for SAO, I felt her music actually made me overlook a lot of the more groan-worthy aspects of SAO. And hell, the First Arc, for all its faults, is more or less the best thing about the franchise.

Sakurazuka posted:

There have been a bunch of good ones like Escaflowne and El Hazard from before they were cool
Escaflowne is pretty rad. Don't remember much of El Hazard, though. :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This show has not aged well, as I discovered trying to watch that show recently. It's too 90s it hurts, and takes away from the emotional impact it tries to create.

I don't really know what's too 90's about it, having just watched it last year. It's not up to snuff of current anime bluray quality but the designs have aged fine outside of that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I feel like Log Horizon was part of the initial rush of Isekai stories or at least one of the sparks before the big rush. What would isekai Shokudou count as? Manager-san isn't going into another world perse, it's more like people from another world coming "here." A Reverse Isekai story so to speak,

There's a greater proportion of reverse Isekai stories than regular Isekai stories too btw.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I guess tanya the evil was isekai technically, and it owned

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Overlord was probably the biggest commercial hit to be part of this boom.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
千と千尋の神隠し (Sen to Chihiro no Isekai Kamikakushi)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Moltrey posted:

千と千尋の神隠し (Sen to Chihiro no Isekai Kamikakushi)

Miyazaki is the worst anime hipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Homura and Sickle posted:

I guess tanya the evil was isekai technically, and it owned

oh gently caress yeah, Tanya was a brilliant show.

• Locked thread