Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

queeb posted:

yeah if quietus and blood spiller were ogcd it would fuckin own. is it ever worth using quietus now that i have bloodspiller? i barely used it before

Quietus is worth using on 3 or more targets but never use dark arts on it. Also, thanks to the recent potency buff to Bloodspiller its base potency outside of Grit is higher damage than the base potency in Grit. Not sure if they meant to do that but the dark arts potency for Bloodspiller is at least the same now regardless of Grit like they originally intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Looks like there's a playstation update to fix the 20 GB download issue on PS4.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3f490aae215dfae97f56ce10cb0371701025ea54

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Condiv posted:

Quietus is worth using on 3 or more targets but never use dark arts on it. Also, thanks to the recent potency buff to Bloodspiller its base potency outside of Grit is higher damage than the base potency in Grit. Not sure if they meant to do that but the dark arts potency for Bloodspiller is at least the same now regardless of Grit like they originally intended.

Bloodspiller is 20 potency less (after accounting for 20% damage reduction) in grit. This is deliberate, I'm sure.

And yeah I mathed wrong - quietus is always better for 3+ mobs.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

Quietus is worth using on 3 or more targets but never use dark arts on it.

You should dark arts it if you have blood weapon on and you'll otherwise cap out on mp, which is only almost never.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am reminded:

What's the enemy number where spamming Scatter as a Red Mage is superior to weaving other spells in again?

4 or more is what I was told. 3 enemies is where you where you do scatter->thunder/aero so you can can moulinet more. I assume 2 you just do a single target rotation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wouldn't Quietus be worth using Dark Arts for with 3+ anyways? Dark Arts usually adds 140 potency to an attack. At 50 bonus potency with DA, Quietus would be 150 additional total potency at 3 targets.

e: Actually, probably not. You could do almost two abyssal drains for that mp cost.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

4 or more is what I was told. 3 enemies is where you where you do scatter->thunder/aero so you can can moulinet more. I assume 2 you just do a single target rotation.

Yeah, right now my strategy is single target rotation for 1/2, scatter-> Aero/Thunder or Scatter -> Stone/Fire if it procts for 3 or more, I wasn't sure at what point Scatter started being worth it so I mostly used it for the huge-rear end pulls. If it's 4 or more I'll have to adjust a bit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Wouldn't Quietus be worth using Dark Arts for with 3+ anyways? Dark Arts usually adds 140 potency to an attack. At 50 bonus potency with DA, Quietus would be 150 additional total potency at 3 targets.

The trouble is that you need to be weighing the cost of Dark Arts against Abyssal Drain. One Dark Arts Quietus is the cost of two Abyssal Drains roughly.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Alright I have a music question. There's a musical motif that shows up in the battle music, the dungeon boss music, and the kugane/kugane castle themes. I assumed that those songs were referencing one of the main themes of the expansion, sort of like how a lot of tracks in Heavensward referenced the opening theme. Thing is, I can't find anything like that - all the Stormblood main themes don't resemble any of those songs. Am I missing something, or am I just crazy and there's no main theme featuring that motif?

Edit: It's the bit at the start of the Kugane theme, to clarify.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

Looks like there's a playstation update to fix the 20 GB download issue on PS4.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3f490aae215dfae97f56ce10cb0371701025ea54

Are they ever going to fix the hosed up scaling on ps4?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zinkraptor posted:

Alright I have a music question. There's a musical motif that shows up in the battle music, the dungeon boss music, and the kugane/kugane castle themes. I assumed that those songs were referencing one of the main themes of the expansion, sort of like how a lot of tracks in Heavensward referenced the opening theme. Thing is, I can't find anything like that - all the Stormblood main themes don't resemble any of those songs. Am I missing something, or am I just crazy and there's no main theme featuring that motif?

I dunno if this is spoilers or not, and if it is it's a super weak one but I'm pretty sure it's the Ala Mhigan National Anthem which also plays in Rhalgear's Reach

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't want to be a lazy tank but I've got DRK at 69 and I don't understand how people could possibly drop grit on trash pulls. I have every piece of gear from Doma Castle equipped, and two-pack pulls tear me to ribbons with my tank stance on.

I mean, the completely safe but unsatisfying answer is that you're such a small percent of your team's damage, and then grit is a small percent of that, and then the amount of time you would be able to drop it is a small percent of the total time, so all compounded the answer is 'no one would ever notice the benefits of you dropping it, but if you do it wrong and lose aggro/die/wipe then holy poo poo are they going to notice that and also you lost more time than you would've ever saved'

Edit: And I guess you'd have to figure out if the healer is now doing less dps because they're babysitting you more.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 11, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Renegret posted:

I dunno if this is spoilers or not, and if it is it's a super weak one but I'm pretty sure it's the Ala Mhigan National Anthem which also plays in Rhalgear's Reach

I've listened to that song a few times looking for similarities and I'm pretty sure that's not it. I'm not exactly a music expert though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VHGS posted:

You should dark arts it if you have blood weapon on and you'll otherwise cap out on mp, which is only almost never.

I mean yes this is true but you're giving up 2.4k mp to deal 50 more potency when you could just spam abyssal drain for almost half the cost for 120 potency per target and then still use Quietus after to proc the mp regen from blood weapon. But honestly, DRK feels so weak defensively now even with TBN that I think it's sketchy to drop grit in a large pull to really benefit from blood weapon + Quietus sadly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zinkraptor posted:

I've listened to that song a few times looking for similarities and I'm pretty sure that's not it. I'm not exactly a music expert though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I also completely ignored what you said about Kugane because I'm lazy

But the Rhalgar's Reach motif is the defining motif of this expansion so it's why I immediately went to it.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Zinkraptor posted:

You mean the music from the end of the cinematic trailer ?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

VHGS posted:

Yes, but it should look more bad rear end.
Oh man, if the actual Primals made a cameo before doing their poo poo...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Condiv posted:

I mean yes this is true but you're giving up 2.4k mp to deal 50 more potency when you could just spam abyssal drain for almost half the cost for 120 potency per target and then still use Quietus after to proc the mp regen from blood weapon. But honestly, DRK feels so weak defensively now even with TBN that I think it's sketchy to drop grit in a large pull to really benefit from blood weapon + Quietus sadly.

Dark does feel a hell of a lot squishier than PLD.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zinkraptor posted:

That's the actual Stormblood theme, just in a different key.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dark does feel a hell of a lot squishier than PLD.

Same thing I've noticed. Having a grand total of two standard defensive cooldowns is brutal. I'm gonna have to level Paladin eventually for my retainer, and I have a feeling it won't be nearly as stressful.

Dark Mind feels super out of place. Why did they get rid of Dark Dance? Becoming a parrying dodging god for a short time was neat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

That's basically the "Stormblood theme." It's in the choir in the dungeon boss music and the final boss theme as well. I don't think that motif has a name beyond just being the main Stormblood theme.

It has lyrics, too, when it's being sung for boss themes:

quote:

Storm of blood,
Born from blood
Of our fallen brothers

Borne upon our hands,
Cradled in our arms,
Swelling in our hearts

Raise your weary head,
Heed the call to arms
Ringing in your heart

Incidentally, the dungeon boss theme also includes the Ala Mhigan anthem/Rhalgr's Reach theme in the brass part before the choral part.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 11, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Which does remind me, we haven't seen "revolutions" used as a boss theme yet. I figured it would be Shinryu's theme but that wasn't a vocal one at all. Wonder who they're saving it for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Which does remind me, we haven't seen "revolutions" used as a boss theme yet. I figured it would be Shinryu's theme but that wasn't a vocal one at all. Wonder who they're saving it for?

There's probably going to be a similarly climactic boss fight in the post-patch like how we got the Nidhogg refight. I'm not sure who though The Ala Mhigan lady with the artificial echo seems like the most ripe for coming back as Big Trouble

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The ARR theme was used in t13, heavensward was used in the 3.5 boss, so it's all but certain that we'll get a full stormblood theme as part of a boss fight at the end of the expansion as a capstone like usual.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jinh posted:

The ARR theme was used in t13, heavensward was used in the 3.5 boss, so it's all but certain that we'll get a full stormblood theme as part of a boss fight at the end of the expansion as a capstone like usual.

I hope I'm not the only person who's bothered by this level of predictability.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Why play any games if you're bothered with a game ending with a final boss?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jinh posted:

Wasn't it the 3.3 boss for the full Heavensward "Dragonsong" theme? 3.5 was Baelsar's Wall.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Eh, if you're going to go to the trouble of commissioning an elaborate vocal anthem, you kinda want to use it on something impressive. Predictability is only bad if it smothers innovation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Why play any games if you're bothered with a game ending with a final boss?

That wasn't even close to the point I was trying to make. Thanks for trying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"Revolutions" would have made a good theme for the first phase of the final boss, I suppose, though I thought the music they used was really, really good, too, and the second phase music was :eyepop:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

"The plot will have a further escalation that continues the storyline" isn't really a bad kind of predictability.

I mean the other choice is... what, the post 4.0 patches are all boring low-key stuff that doesn't build off the events of the main story?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm talking more about "this is how it was in past expansion cycles so we know for certain that's how it's going to be in the future, forever".

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
they did it for 2.x and it was

garbage, actually

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Formulism, is good and valid, and allows us to look excitedly to future events by analyzing the past, thanks for reading

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of great music, I'd like to nominate the Azim Steppe theme for "drat near the best music in the expansion but it really needs a longer loop":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3yMqpaCrU&t=251s

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

That would be like being bothered that Ala Mhigan liberation was the obvious next step from Heavensward.

Unpredictability has no value in and of itself. Something being predictable because it makes for a coherent and sensible narrative beat is not a bad thing.

That and the part that's predictable is a vague outline and nothing more. Execution is everything.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

That wasn't even close to the point I was trying to make. Thanks for trying.

Whats it like being an insufferable retard all the god drat time

e: btw its not a mirror, my monitor is on, my sound card works perfectly, and my drivers are all updated

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every patch will have a primal fight. Every even patch will have a new Omega tier with four new bosses, every odd patch will have a new Ivalice tier with four new bosses. The only difference is that they'll be adding only one new dungeon on odd patches. and hopefully something fun to take its place (I'm not holding my breath on that).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

strong bird posted:

Whats it like being an insufferable retard all the god drat time

Turn off your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Gotcha bitch