Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I'm responding to the discussion a few posts up where he said Gal Gadot looked slender and sleek then some idiot said "sorry her body doesn't live up to your specifications"

Movie women looking impossibly skinny and smooth has literally been cultural criticism 101 since the 80s

She doesn't look impossibly skinny. She is not model thin, which is something different entirely, and what is normally being fought (models themselves are often ultra thin partially because modeling is supposed to put the emphasis on clothing and not body), but is larger and stronger/more toned than a ton of women I meet on a day to day basis under 40. American people in general are generally way fatter than the are supposed to be, upping the "average" expectation to something that is not really average. Gadot's Wonder Woman is a pretty good representation of a woman of her stature that would train as she did in the film and not unrealistic at all. And note that there was no negativity towards the size of Pine's overweight secretary outside of one small bit of jovial self depreciation about what womens' dresses were built to do at that time.

And this was also compared with Sucker Punch...which was a movie about the objectification of women and saying how negative that is, while purposely fighting actual gaze with the camera, so this criticism is even more weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Equeen posted:

Speaking of the Amazons, I kinda bummed that the movie wasn't brave enough to show that, shockingly, an island full of women may have some lesbians in it. I know they had to keep the movie "family friendly", but it's still kind of a shame.

When Antiope dies, a woman - who's presumably her wife - runs to her side and starts crying. Like a lot in the movie, it's left without comment.

That's the problem when half the film is over-exposited: people treat it as an illustrated audiobook.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well she did say men are not necessary for sexual pleasure

True, but she could also be referring to masturbation.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well she did say men are not necessary for sexual pleasure
I laughed at Steve's quiet "Noooo" when she said that.

Here's another question. After Diana kills Ludendorff, Steve comes running up the tower looking for her. He sees the sword poking through the roof so he runs out onto the balcony and Diana jumps down to talk to him. After Steve leaves and Ares revels himself to Diana, she reaches for her sword, remembers that it's still stuck in Ludendorff, and jumps back onto the roof to get it and them jumps back down.

Does anyone know if there was more to this scene? It just seemed odd with Diana jumping on and off the roof. When she reached for it and remembered that she left it on the roof seemed very deliberate but for what purpose? It takes her a couple of seconds to retrieve it and Ares waits for her to return so he can continue his speech.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess it foreshadows him absolutely giving no fucks about that sword

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think it's meant to actually lead into Ares trying to convince her of his point of view. He could choose to fight her as she was without the sword and instead he lets her go retrieve it because he knows the sword won't hurt him anyway and wants to convince her of his argument about how they should work together, and thus he needs her to attempt to use the sword to prove his point.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Equeen posted:

True, but she could also be referring to masturbation.

Pretty sure everyone knew she meant lesbian sex. I mean, 12 volumes seems like a lot for just masturbation.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

MariusLecter posted:

Pretty sure everyone knew she meant lesbian sex. I mean, 12 volumes seems like a lot for just masturbation.

Presumably she meant all kinds, as she could hardly come to the conclusion that dudes suck otherwise.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was fine with it a something not even worth remarking on. I figured the same sex sex was implicit!

Also as a bi woman my headcanon is that the Diana of this movie is also bi and that we skipped over random crushes she had growing up.

E: also on the topic of sex that doesn't require a literal penis, I highly recommend everyone, penis haver and non penis haver, read up on this topic. :wiggle:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It must be hard getting together with anyone in an island where you are literally the only child who ever existed and they probably helped care for you at some point as a baby.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It must be hard getting together with anyone in an island where you are literally the only child who ever existed and they probably helped care for you at some point as a baby.

A one-sided crush from Diana makes sense to me.
When I was about 12 I briefly had a crush on my non-blood-related uncle (probably about 30 at the time) who had known me since I was 8. I quickly moved on from this crush once, after surviving the ravages of puberty, kids in my grade became sufficiently cute.

As for whether or not such a crush from Diana would be reciprocated, that'd probably be less likely.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here's another question. After Diana kills Ludendorff, Steve comes running up the tower looking for her. He sees the sword poking through the roof so he runs out onto the balcony and Diana jumps down to talk to him. After Steve leaves and Ares revels himself to Diana, she reaches for her sword, remembers that it's still stuck in Ludendorff, and jumps back onto the roof to get it and them jumps back down.

Does anyone know if there was more to this scene? It just seemed odd with Diana jumping on and off the roof. When she reached for it and remembered that she left it on the roof seemed very deliberate but for what purpose? It takes her a couple of seconds to retrieve it and Ares waits for her to return so he can continue his speech.

Maybe it indicates that, with Ares (presumably) dead, Diana felt she no longer had any need of a sword. She expected all war to be over, so weapons like that were now pointless. Ares let her jump up to get it because he didn't fear it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wouldn't except Ares of all gods to prevent a person from arming themselves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My treatment of the Wonder Woman script:

Ares: That sword is meaningless. Right now, my team of engineers have just completed the ultimate weapon to destroy mankind, and it's in that plane!!

Steve Trevor heroically sacrifices himself to destroy the plane. Diana kills Ares.

Later, a young German veteran on his way to art school roots through the plane's wreckage and finds a box containing a 56k modem.

The End...?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DorianGravy posted:

Maybe it indicates that, with Ares (presumably) dead, Diana felt she no longer had any need of a sword. She expected all war to be over, so weapons like that were now pointless. Ares let her jump up to get it because he didn't fear it.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm probably reading too much into the scene.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Later, a young German veteran on his way to art school roots through the plane's wreckage and finds a box containing a 56k modem.

The End...?
You should have him find a one of the unexploded gas canisters. He picks it up and examines it while a smile slowly spreads across his face.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Neat

https://twitter.com/deadpoolmovie/status/884578349871276032

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Freedom comes from assuming the terrifying burden of responsibility. There are no excuses, like "I'm just doing God's will", or whatever. To this end, Diana refuses to act as a god. She is "the god-killer".

Freedom is responsibility? That doesnt sound very free.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Uncle Wemus posted:

Freedom is responsibility? That doesnt sound very free.

'Freedom' in this context means accepting morality as your own decision rather than an externally imposed one - rather than doing what God (or a similar authority figure) says is right, it's deciding for yourself what is right. It's taking responsibility for your own decisions, which is the ultimate - and rather terrifying, sometimes - freedom.

As this film puts it, "It's not about what they deserve. It's about what I believe. And I believe in love."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

My treatment of the Wonder Woman script:

Ares: That sword is meaningless. Right now, my team of engineers have just completed the ultimate weapon to destroy mankind, and it's in that plane!!

Steve Trevor heroically sacrifices himself to destroy the plane. Diana kills Ares.

The End...?

Not enough quips.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vegetable posted:

Most people do not in fact look like Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. It'd be nice if protagonists weren't always picture perfect human specimens. How is this controversial you idiots

This is why Rorschach from The Watchmen was such a great burn on regular superhero comicbooks - he comes across at first like a cool avenging action dude like Batman or Wolverine but in the end he turns out to be a short ugly guy. Alan Moore had even been parading him around unmasked in front of the readers since pretty much the start of the comic but he was just another background face in the crowd until he let them in on the gag. Jackie Earle Haley was perfect for the role.

Mr. Apollo posted:

For all the complaints about Gal's physical appearance I've read, no one sees to comment on the Steve Trevor aesthetic of lean, muscular, and waxed which probably wasn't the go to look for men in WW1.

Also it's usually a bad idea for a top spy to be the best looking, most memorable person in the room which is why spies are usually pretty plain, nondescript people. (Frederick Joubert Duquesne was a bit of a looker in his youth but he wasn't all that in his later years.) Mata Hari is the obvious exception but in that case her looks were her cover.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it's usually a bad idea for a top spy to be the best looking, most memorable person in the room which is why spies are usually pretty plain, nondescript people. (Frederick Joubert Duquesne was a bit of a looker in his youth but he wasn't all that in his later years.) Mata Hari is the obvious exception but in that case her looks were her cover.

As we have discovered from real life, as a top spy nobody can remember you despite having met with you specifically, like a dozen times in 6 months, no matter how you look.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The rumors are the Wonder Woman 2 will have her fighting the Soviets in the 1980s. Diana fighting alongside the mujahideen?

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-movie-setting-chris-pine/

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

let's see how many morons start yas queening the taliban

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I can save today, you can save the world *flys a plane into the WTC*

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 11, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

R. Guyovich posted:

let's see how many morons start yas queening the taliban

Didn't WW say in BvS that she abandoned mankind? I guess she lied.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mr. Apollo posted:

The rumors are the Wonder Woman 2 will have her fighting the Soviets in the 1980s. Diana fighting alongside the mujahideen?

Soviets in the 80s? The wigs had better be on point. :ussr:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

howe_sam posted:

Soviets in the 80s? The wigs had better be on point. :ussr:

I just want it to be this exact movie but with Lou Gossett Jr's character replaced with Wonder Woman and her invisible jet, like don't even change his dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHmwL-xyag

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Neo Rasa posted:

I just want it to be this exact movie but with Lou Gossett Jr's character replaced with Wonder Woman and her invisible jet, like don't even change his dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHmwL-xyag

Lmao. My brother and I loved the Iron Eagle movies when we were younger, and this made me chuckle.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Apollo posted:

This sucks because it's not an adaptation of Red Son

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

We are a ways away from a true Elseworlds/what if live action movie. Not that they shouldn't try, though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

spacetoaster posted:

Didn't WW say in BvS that she abandoned mankind? I guess she lied.
Maybe she's fighting the Soviets to protect wildlife.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Diana stands on a cliff watching the last of the Soviet forces leave Afghanistan. An ethereal image of Zeus appears next to her.

Zeus: You have done well Diana. Once again you stood up for what is right.

Diana: Mankind does not make it easy but I believe that their light will always shine through their darkness.

Zeus: About that... do you remember what happened after the Great War?

Diana: You mean, of course, returning to Germany a generation later to fight yet another war?

Zeus: *glances at Diana and then turns his gaze to the ground*

Diana: Are you kidding me?!?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
In the grim darkness of the past, present, and future, there is only war...

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is why Rorschach from The Watchmen was such a great burn on regular superhero comicbooks - he comes across at first like a cool avenging action dude like Batman or Wolverine but in the end he turns out to be a short ugly guy. Alan Moore had even been parading him around unmasked in front of the readers since pretty much the start of the comic but he was just another background face in the crowd until he let them in on the gag. Jackie Earle Haley was perfect for the role.

Yeah, he was a great examination of how most heroes would really live, as hobos with severe untreated mental problems. Him as a short, ugly, messed up guy was a great vantage point to see portions of the story as.

A counterpoint on those spies would be Roald Dahl, who banged his way through influential women to uncover info for the allies. Famous and good looking and still very effective. There have been more than a few spies who used their celebrity as easy access and lack of suspicion.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I dunno, if you take out Ludendorff and Hindenburg in 1918, the Nazis might not come to power in the 30s.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think you would have some extremist group come to power. The Treaty of Versailles, the Great Depression, and the sentiment that Jews had stabbed Germany in the back causing it to lose WW1 were all independent of those two. If it wasn't the Nazis it would have been someone else.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mllaneza posted:

I dunno, if you take out Ludendorff and Hindenburg in 1918, the Nazis might not come to power in the 30s.

Haven't the Terminator movies taught you anything?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

teagone posted:

Haven't the Terminator movies taught you anything?

If we try to rewrite history enough times it will overwrite itself completely, which given how the twentieth century went might not be a bad last resort.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dont even fink about it posted:

If we try to rewrite history enough times it will overwrite itself completely, which given how the twentieth century went might not be a bad last resort.

Given how the 20th century went, it's probably already happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think you would have some extremist group come to power. The Treaty of Versailles, the Great Depression, and the sentiment that Jews had stabbed Germany in the back causing it to lose WW1 were all independent of those two. If it wasn't the Nazis it would have been someone else.

Thestab in the back was actually literally Ludendorff's idea and he was responsible for spreading it

• Locked thread