Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Am a turbofat, would recommend Honda 500 r/x/f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
I mean if you were going to buy a ducati, the only ducati you would ever want to buy would be a hypermotard..

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Why not shoot for the moon and get a Desmodici RR?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You can get ducatis for a lot cheaper if the desmo valve service is due.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/6212244097.html

Thoughts on this bike? Haven't ridden in a few years but I'm retaking the msf in a few weeks.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there a good used first bike to look out for? Thinking of getting something next year, not particularly picky other than I'd like to be able to take it out on the highway. Ducati would be a plus but I get that would probably be a stretch.

Welcome to the "got into motorcycles passionately wanting a ducati" club. Membership- all of us. What you want is a Ninja 250, trust me. I really like the pregen, but the 2nd gen ninja 250 is small and appealing, as well.

GET A SUPERMOTO.

South posted:

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/6212244097.html

Thoughts on this bike? Haven't ridden in a few years but I'm retaking the msf in a few weeks.

That looks like a good biek at a solid price. The faired gs500 always messed with me because they are so rare and I could never figure out what model they were.

tjones posted:

I mean if you were going to buy a ducati, the only ducati you would ever want to buy would be a hypermotard..

Snowcat managed to completely turn me off of the hyper. It's a good looking bike, but can't do supermoto-y things, and sounds like they are rife with electrical issues.

builds character posted:

Do some reading on the Aprilia SXV 5.5. :hellyeah:

Someday some poor soul is going to follow your advice and get one of these. You really should recommend something more responsible, like a buell.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 10, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Coydog posted:

Welcome to the "got into motorcycles passionately wanting a ducati" club. Membership- all of us.

I got into motorcycles wanting a Norton Commando, thank you very much

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Someday some poor soul is going to follow your advice and get one of these. You really should recommend something more responsible, like a buell.

Someday, I hope it's me. :allears:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

tjones posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. What I don't agree with is using two periods. It's either an ellipsis or period why are you right in the middle agh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Carth Dookie posted:

Do not get a ducati as a first bike. Just don't. Seriously. I know you are thinking you want one. You don't. No, sit down shut up. Its not like your kart at all. Don't do it. You can't keep a ducati running using bin tyres and hope like you do your kart.
If you get a 2v model they're not THAT bad. But they're still a bit bad.

Sagebrush posted:

You have no idea how badly built these things are. Fun to ride for an old bike but completely idiotic to work on. My opinion of them lowers every time I work on one. The drivetrain is from the 30s and the metallurgy is from a destitute Soviet satellite. The electrics you know about. They're amazingly sad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 10, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I sat on a Hypermotard at a dealership and loved everything but the price tag..

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

Coydog posted:

Welcome to the "got into motorcycles passionately wanting a ducati" club. Membership- all of us. What you want is a Ninja 250, trust me. I really like the pregen, but the 2nd gen ninja 250 is small and appealing, as well.

GET A SUPERMOTO.

That looks like a good biek at a solid price. The faired gs500 always messed with me because they are so rare and I could never figure out what model they were.

Snowcat managed to completely turn me off of the hyper. It's a good looking bike, but can't do supermoto-y things, and sounds like they are rife with electrical issues.

I want another Buell

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

I sat on a Hypermotard at a dealership and loved everything but the price tag..

I don't think it's that expensive, at least the base model isn't. Compared to the 701 it's a good deal at least. The new Dorsoduro is even cheaper. I guess the FZ09 makes everything else look expensive though...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

High Protein posted:

I don't think it's that expensive, at least the base model isn't. Compared to the 701 it's a good deal at least. The new Dorsoduro is even cheaper. I guess the FZ09 makes everything else look expensive though...

Yeah but the Hypermotard makes the FZ-09 feel like a Harley. Not, like, the engine, obviously, but the handling.

And my FZ has proper suspension, too.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I want another Buell

If you can find one you can get a 1190sx for like 10k brand new now that EBR is shutting down again.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

High Protein posted:

It really isn't, I'm just cheap.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

Buhbuhj posted:

If you can find one you can get a 1190sx for like 10k brand new now that EBR is shutting down again.

A Ulysses is what I want

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Just needs a sick cafe conversion, brah.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

Do not get a ducati as a first bike. Just don't. Seriously. I know you are thinking you want one. You don't. No, sit down shut up. Its not like your kart at all. Don't do it. You can't keep a ducati running using bin tyres and hope like you do your kart.

Unless you are a massive fatty or literally 7ft tall get one of the several 250-300cc Japanese entries. Later models are obviously going to be more expensive but some of the newer ones come with ABS which is a nice feature to have. If you are a turbofat then consider a Ninja 500, Honda 500 or Suzuki SV650.

Last week I got a 2003 Ducati Monster 620 as my first bike. Its been 10 years since I've ridden a dirt bike, but I rode an xr500 from 14 to 30. In the price I'm assuming I'm paying for a valve job and replacing all the fluids, but it's in good shape and has 22k miles on it.

Was this a stupid choice? I was feeling like I found a unicorn. Would be curious about traps I'm walking into.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a 15 year old italian bike. Statistically speaking the cards are against you. If you keep a close relationship with the shop and take it in for service regularly and are ok with paying for work before it "needs" to be done you may just be ok.

Which are the ducatis that like to grenade if you dont replace the seals regularly?

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006
Ok. That I get. It's the odds. Not a super great choice I know. But not like I got a used 1198 and called it a beiginner bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'll be fine, 03 is a spring chicken for an air cooled monster. They can limp along in horrific disrepair for a long time.

Having a mint one is nearly impossible though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mocha Frost posted:

Last week I got a 2003 Ducati Monster 620 as my first bike. Its been 10 years since I've ridden a dirt bike, but I rode an xr500 from 14 to 30. In the price I'm assuming I'm paying for a valve job and replacing all the fluids, but it's in good shape and has 22k miles on it.

Was this a stupid choice? I was feeling like I found a unicorn. Would be curious about traps I'm walking into.

If you rode dirt for that long, you're fine on that. I wouldn't really call that a "first bike" if you've already got 16 years of experience.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Bought the Street Triple R from a few pages back. Thanks for the advice. It is nice, if less thrillingly terrifying than my old VFR so far.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
daytona 675, good or bad and why? I really like how narrow my cbr 500r feels and is and I didnt like how fat my r6 and cbr600rr were comparatively. Several eurobikes including this one seem to be generally thinner where my knees grip and I like that.

There are a few visually excellent examples nearby. Average price around 6k for an 09 with 10k miles. Im seriously considering now that I found an insurance company that will let me have a sportbike at a reasonable rate

Why is it that people seems to sell bikes at 10k miles so often? Is that about how long it takes to get tired of a bike or do they just not want to pay for the 1st maintenance cycle?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fauxtool posted:

daytona 675, good or bad and why? I really like how narrow my cbr 500r feels and is and I didnt like how fat my r6 and cbr600rr were comparatively. Several eurobikes including this one seem to be generally thinner where my knees grip and I like that.

There are a few visually excellent examples nearby. Average price around 6k for an 09 with 10k miles. Im seriously considering now that I found an insurance company that will let me have a sportbike at a reasonable rate

Why is it that people seems to sell bikes at 10k miles so often? Is that about how long it takes to get tired of a bike or do they just not want to pay for the 1st maintenance cycle?

I think it was blackmk4 who had like 3 daytona engines start a minting press with their own exhaust valves

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is there actually a single goon success story with the 675?

Not that BlackMK4s were outright failures given that he tracks them. But I don't think there's anyone who owns/owned one on here without some kind of craziness. Or maybe mootmoot and abunchofnumbers are just really that memorable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When will people realize that triumph is British and the things that go along with that should be expected?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

My guess is boredom, and/or getting tired of dealing with a particular bike's little "gotchas" - there's always some new hotness out there, a cool feature, more power, better suspension, what have you. Gotta ride 'em all.

Bikes are toys to a lot of people, and if you're smart about how you buy them it's pretty easy to sell them off and pick up another without losing your shirt.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I have one with 13k miles, I think the PO had the rectifier recalled but other than that the only issue I've had is the gear position sensor is messed up by a gear half the time. It theoretically affects the fueling so it's one of those things I should fix, and I have the part, but I've been lazy. People tracking them have blown engines, you should really run more oil than the maximum mark on the older Daytonas, the new ones have updated dipsticks that have you put more oil in.

It's obviously a fun and fast bike, but you should definitely considering the seating position depending on your intended use. Maybe it's because I'm tall (6'3"), but doing a couple of hours on the bike will have me feeling it in my traps, and you have to consciously avoid putting weight on your wrists. I'd definitely sit on a Daytona and a Street Triple and see which one you prefer. I know the newer Daytonas lowered the seat a tiny bit and raised the handle bars, which is supposed to make it a lot more comfortable, but I think that change was made in 2013 (I forget). If you keep the RPMs low it actually feels pretty tame, but at first it felt like ridiculous amounts of power.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Tell Me What Bike to Buy: Diavel, Superduke 1290, or a Daytona if you're a pussy

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MomJeans420 posted:

I have one with 13k miles, I think the PO had the rectifier recalled but other than that the only issue I've had is the gear position sensor is messed up by a gear half the time. It theoretically affects the fueling so it's one of those things I should fix, and I have the part, but I've been lazy. People tracking them have blown engines, you should really run more oil than the maximum mark on the older Daytonas, the new ones have updated dipsticks that have you put more oil in.

It's obviously a fun and fast bike, but you should definitely considering the seating position depending on your intended use. Maybe it's because I'm tall (6'3"), but doing a couple of hours on the bike will have me feeling it in my traps, and you have to consciously avoid putting weight on your wrists. I'd definitely sit on a Daytona and a Street Triple and see which one you prefer. I know the newer Daytonas lowered the seat a tiny bit and raised the handle bars, which is supposed to make it a lot more comfortable, but I think that change was made in 2013 (I forget). If you keep the RPMs low it actually feels pretty tame, but at first it felt like ridiculous amounts of power.

I probably wont ever do anything harder than light commuting, like 300 miles a month. I just like to have a nice looking thing
I definitely look up recalls for any bike im considering and see if its been replaced

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

I stand corrected

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I stand corrected

I haven't tracked mine (yet)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Has anyone said buy a SuperDuke lately?

South
Apr 9, 2001

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/6214396016.html

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/6215345457.html

Thoughts on either of these? Similar years and miles.

Unfortunately, I missed out on that GS500 by 30 minutes.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are ok but I think you can get newer for the same money

South
Apr 9, 2001

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/6217073331.html

Hows this? It's a 2013 CBR250R with 2500 miles for $2800.

Last post in this thread for a while, I promise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is there actually a single goon success story with the 675?

Not that BlackMK4s were outright failures given that he tracks them. But I don't think there's anyone who owns/owned one on here without some kind of craziness. Or maybe mootmoot and abunchofnumbers are just really that memorable.

I mean "success story" is relative but I've owned two and both of them are still functional. One is at 35k now as a buddy's daily and the other is a trackbike only that's still fun to ride:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ivde6tus058

Both got stolen and recovered, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

South posted:

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/6217073331.html

Hows this? It's a 2013 CBR250R with 2500 miles for $2800.

Last post in this thread for a while, I promise.

if it runs well and rides well it's a good price for one, plus repsol lol