Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like how the millions Square has spent on having nice graphics means we never see how your party members mount their birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You need to harness the magic that the bird uses to always be a few seconds away so you can abuse it to travel across the map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I hate to admit it because I make an effort to pay attention to games but nothing about FF15 has been compelling in the least and it's filtered out overtime. The four blokes and their car romping around the wilderness killing endangered wildlife and finding beans for diner proprietors is great though. I'm always excited to find out about Ignis' next new recipe.

But nothing that's happened in this game has had any weight or backbone to it.

I feel like Final Fantasy got real bad at characters post 9.

This game is also just odd. It feels...rigid in a lot of ways. No swimming, can't even get up to your knees in the water, jumping over cars tends to have you collide into it's giant top hat hitbox, the constant 10 second long interruptions by party so they can tell you to beat up a monster.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I forget, are we supposed to be upset that old guy bit it, or did we get over that because TACTICAL STEALTH ACTION happened and then a dragoon swung by and so we carried on to… a boat?

We're heading boatwards, right? Is there another map, then?

Christ, it's like they've looked at every huge release from the past few years, stole some aspect from it mindlessly, and then vomited it into an MMO world. If you didn't have that quest log you'd be completely directionless. Although I guess that part isn't anything new. My final fantasy memory is coming back to 7 after a long while and spending hours trying to figure out where the hell I was meant to be going.

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like Final Fantasy got real bad at characters post 9.

This game is also just odd. It feels...rigid in a lot of ways. No swimming, can't even get up to your knees in the water, jumping over cars tends to have you collide into it's giant top hat hitbox, the constant 10 second long interruptions by party so they can tell you to beat up a monster.

But those are all normal RPG limitations. It's rigid in comparison to basically any open world game, but as an RPG most of that's nothing unusual. And god knows, this isn't really an open world game as much as it's an RPG with a broken distance scale dearly trying to pretend it isn't.

Anyway I'm looking forward to your green chocobos in like 10 episodes.

Oh also since I don't think I asked when they were opened — those timed quest things are just like, phone game events, aren't they? Kinda feels like a weird thing to put into a console game.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Maybe you could have gone fishing under that bridge!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You know, for an open world game there are a hell of a lot of walls.

I don't even mean all the invisible walls either. Why are there incredibly long brick walls and cyclone fences everywhere? Why make massive rock walls which serve no other purpose than forcing you to spend five minutes walking around them?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thesaya posted:

Maybe you could have gone fishing under that bridge!
there is in fact a camping & fishing spot at the last stop on the way to Cape Caem, a little bit further along the shore. Probably there specifically because they want to show off Iris' fishing interactions

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Speaking of her fishing interactions, she won't comment on it if Noctis' fishing is above level 6, an oversight perhaps.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lunethex posted:

Speaking of her fishing interactions, she won't comment on it if Noctis' fishing is above level 6, an oversight perhaps.

I agree, it was a huge oversight leaving in the fishing mechanics.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm sure many people all over the world have a passion for fishing but my hot take is fishing has no place in video games and should not ever be an important aspect of them.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Dumb as it is, fishing is nowhere near being the biggest problem with this game

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Actually, dumb fishing minigames should be in every video game

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
OoT and the MM 3DS port are probably the only fishing minigames that are good so maybe he's got a point, non nintendo game devs got to stop wasting time/trying.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sega Bass Fishing arcade fukken rules.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Sega Bass Fishing arcade fukken rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahP41mLAyLw

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Thats a fishing videogame, not a fishing minigame.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

why is there a castle in this fishing game

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know, for an open world game there are a hell of a lot of walls.

I don't even mean all the invisible walls either. Why are there incredibly long brick walls and cyclone fences everywhere? Why make massive rock walls which serve no other purpose than forcing you to spend five minutes walking around them?

I think if the game let you go in a straight line between wherever you want to go the world would feel a lot smaller and you probably wouldn't bother with the car a lot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kase moch posted:

why is there a castle in this fishing game

I live in a country with castles all over the loving place. Seems p standard to me.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The shrine of the silver monkey

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lunethex posted:

I'm sure many people all over the world have a passion for fishing but my hot take is fishing has no place in video games and should not ever be an important aspect of them.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:vince:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I agree. Stop putting semi-realistic fishing in games. Make actually interesting fantasy fishing a thing instead. Gimme a sleek looking tugboat and 80 harpoons and tell me to go out there and hunt some sea buffalo. Or let me fight a Kracken. Either stop making me pick up tuna or let me somehow get fifteen of them on one hook.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The harpooning in the boat Assassins Creed games was really fun.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.
It's so odd how there's fishing minigames in every JRPG out there nowadays. I recently played through Persona 5 and Yakuza 0, and they both had unnecessary fishing activities.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The only time I want to see fishing in a game is if I can use explosives or guns to do it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I find them fine and if it's optional then all the better. Also how can you not like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-p7USipiG4

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Gorilla Salad posted:

The only time I want to see fishing in a game is if I can use explosives or guns to do it.

Still my favorite fishing minigame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnq_Dh3iBo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lt. Conquistador posted:

It's so odd how there's fishing minigames in every JRPG out there nowadays. I recently played through Persona 5 and Yakuza 0, and they both had unnecessary fishing activities.

It's not that crazy for things in previous games to show up in later ones.

Persona 4's reasoning to do it was very good though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Breath of Fire 3 fishing mini game was the best one and I will fite anyone who disagrees.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:siren: CAR UPGRADES :siren:

Finally a vehicle we can be proud of

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So you're on the route for dating Prompto now, right?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

topiKal posted:

Finally a vehicle we can be proud of

At last the game can really start picking up!

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
gently caress that trap disarm quest. I did it late in the game and there were 3 courls sitting on a trap. It was the worst fight I had in the game.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
So close for the correct choices on the Prompto pep talk.

Part of me though is sad you didn't dunk on him at the first given chance.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

You guys were lucky you didn't encounter any of the bullshit Coeurls in that Disarm Trap side-quest. That was just unfair having to fight like, five of them when they were in that area the first time around.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They spent the effort to build a camera engine.
They locked you into a number of scripted car rides.
They're in a world full of fantastic monsters.

They completely missed their opportunity to do Final Fantasy Snap.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
That would require them to make an actually working stealth mechanic. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
That loving Pompito dialogue was incredibly boring. I've heard people say the banter between the main characters is what's good about the game, but it's all so inane. Like it was written by a 10 year old.

Sounds like you are starting to realize what a boring travesty most sidequests are. I'm okay with you skipping a lot of them.

Also gently caress HOAs.

• Locked thread