Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

There is also a setting that makes it the default instead of the forums index. I forgot to mention that in the changelog and will add it for the next release.

Not gonna lie, the Settings in this app overwhelm me. I never would've found that on my own but it definitely makes it even better, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

LastInLine posted:

Tried it and use it every time I use the app. I feel like it would nice to have a shortcut to them from the bookmarks screen (I feel like that's kind of what they are) but I can live with it the way it is.

Yeah ditto. And a button to toggle between forums/bookmarks on the toolbar would be perfect.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Needs some settings to configure the settings.

(or maybe settings search instead)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Tried it and use it every time I use the app. I feel like it would nice to have a shortcut to them from the bookmarks screen (I feel like that's kind of what they are) but I can live with it the way it is.

Do y'all who want this use the full forums list much? Personally I just have my favourites list and bounce around that and bookmarks, and I can see the full list if I ever need to. So it's the normal forums/threads/posts layout except the forums are filtered

Forums in the thread view (bookmarks) sounds weird because you could have two forum lists open side by side (full and favs), and then opening a favourite forum would replace that view with threads. You'd have to go click something to replace them with the favs view again, so you couldn't just hop between forums quickly like with the dedicated forum list

(I also don't want to try it out because the forums switcher is simple and putting forums in the thread view and managing state oh god :skeltal: but it does sound kinda weird anyway, but if people think it's a good idea...?)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Do y'all who want this use the full forums list much?

I'm tempted to say "Never" but I'll say "Rarely". (It's really never.)

baka kaba posted:

Forums in the thread view (bookmarks) sounds weird because you could have two forum lists open side by side (full and favs), and then opening a favourite forum would replace that view with threads. You'd have to go click something to replace them with the favs view again, so you couldn't just hop between forums quickly like with the dedicated forum list

(I also don't want to try it out because the forums switcher is simple and putting forums in the thread view and managing state oh god :skeltal: but it does sound kinda weird anyway, but if people think it's a good idea...?)

I understand what you mean. If the Bookmarks are just another forum (i.e. a list of threads) then it would be weird for it to have a dedicated button/UI to toggle between Favorites and Bookmarks. Mentally I lump the two together since that would be a list of the only things I care about ("These threads and these forums") but I can see what you mean by the navigation structure getting weird so yeah, don't put it there.

Now that I know about the setting that replaces the forum list with the favorite list, there's a persistent shortcut to them in the sidebar which is good enough for me. I think from a UI perspective it makes more sense to have dedicated buttons to both in the side bar but now that I know how it works it's the same thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How do you mean about the sidebar? You mean separate options to open the forums list and switch it to one of the two modes?

The way I think of favourite forums is that it's exactly the same as before - you can just filter out forums you don't care about

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sereri posted:

So, has anyone tried the favorite forums functionality? What's the opinion?

I've never seen it in this app, but like it in the other SA app. What am I missing here, are you guys referencing the beta or are updates slow or have I missed a main-site feature or what?

+ Feature Request: Page Transformation (Batman Spin)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sweart gliwere posted:

+ Feature Request: Page Transformation (Batman Spin)

I had thought of doing that (with the frog)...

And yeah it's beta stuff, too hot for release!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

I had thought of doing that (with the frog)...

Inspired by my handed-down Omnia i910, which literally had that as an option (not that it's forgivable) for screen transitions from portrait to landscape, system-wide.

You could actually force that thing into breaking the transition animation task by keeping it in a forever loop, repeatedly adjusting it after just under 1 second until eventual crash to desktop. Samsung: pioneers of painful UI.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

How do you mean about the sidebar? You mean separate options to open the forums list and switch it to one of the two modes?

The way I think of favourite forums is that it's exactly the same as before - you can just filter out forums you don't care about

I guess my mental model is different, probably from using the other app so long. I think of the forum directory and the favorite list as two unrelated things when I'm conceptualizing, it wouldn't occur to me to think of them as the forums list and then a filter of them.

When pulling out the sidebar I'd expect to see common places to go to and since to me my favorite forums is a separate place from the forums list, I'd expect it to be there.

Maybe I'm weird.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nah it's cool, I'm more putting the idea out there to see what makes sense to people - I can't just rely on what makes sense to me, you know? It needs to be intuitive even if it makes the design more complicated

Also does the beta version have a favorite/unfavourite popup when you long-press a forum? I don't know what version got added

sweart gliwere posted:

Inspired by my handed-down Omnia i910, which literally had that as an option (not that it's forgivable) for screen transitions from portrait to landscape, system-wide.

Sounds like a plan for the tablet layout! Non-optional of course (stupid Samsung)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 11, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Long pressing a forum generates a popup with the Oxford English popup: Set favourite (LOL)

It also has the forum picker button in the Favorites (American English) in the action bar which I didn't notice until now. I set everything using long-presses.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Uh yeah that wasn't meant to be rolled out, I thought Sereri had pulled it in so I was just trying stuff out. Are the forum titles randomly in red too?

Is everyone using the long-press thing? Gah

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Uh yeah that wasn't meant to be rolled out, I thought Sereri had pulled it in so I was just trying stuff out. Are the forum titles randomly in red too?

Is everyone using the long-press thing? Gah

Yes, forum titles are red if favourited. I like that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

baka kaba posted:

I can't just rely on what makes sense to me, you know?

Works for me!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Yes, forum titles are red if favourited. I like that.

It's great generally, but red ends up pretty stealthy on OLEDs for what it's worth from a design standpoint, probably not great for direct natural or bright lighting (yes, joined the beta)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it's not designed, I literally wanted to highlight favoUrited forums for testing and that was the easiest way. Truly the greatest achievements arise from the smallest steps

But if people like that it's cool, sure beats janitoring an ItemDecorator or whatever the hell. It can get themed

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm having trouble logging in through the app. It started with the forums not loading, similar to when they go down. I checked and the forums were up so I tried logging out and back in and it keeps saying "Login failed." I logged in through my browser so I know my password is correct. Any idea what's going on? I'm on a Pixel v7.1.2

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
You could clear the app cache maybe.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Shoren posted:

I'm having trouble logging in through the app. It started with the forums not loading, similar to when they go down. I checked and the forums were up so I tried logging out and back in and it keeps saying "Login failed." I logged in through my browser so I know my password is correct. Any idea what's going on? I'm on a Pixel v7.1.2

Sounds like you're having trouble accessing the site in general - a few people have said similar stuff in the past, sometimes it's down to being on 3G vs wifi or whatever. It's possible the site (through CloudFlare) is forcing captchas too, which we don't handle

When you checked the forums were up, did you do that on your phone? See if you can log in through Chrome or something on the same device

I'd like to get some better error messages for network stuff, but it's hard to test eh

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's either that or the return of the "let's encode UTF characters in the password to html entities" bug

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

baka kaba posted:

Sounds like you're having trouble accessing the site in general - a few people have said similar stuff in the past, sometimes it's down to being on 3G vs wifi or whatever. It's possible the site (through CloudFlare) is forcing captchas too, which we don't handle

When you checked the forums were up, did you do that on your phone? See if you can log in through Chrome or something on the same device

I'd like to get some better error messages for network stuff, but it's hard to test eh

I think it may have been the wifi. I collected through chrome on my phone, that's how I pasted the initial message and that was why I was confused that the app wasn't taking my credentials. I'm traveling now so I can't use my normal network connection. Just managed to connect today, randomly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just wanted to say that full screen mode (18:9) with the LG G6 rocks.
I can see all the shitposts now. :cheers:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've noticed some screwy behavior when looking at "this user's posts only" when they hsve multiple pages of posts. After a few pages I start seeing my posts, then other peoples' posts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I've noticed some screwy behavior when looking at "this user's posts only" when they hsve multiple pages of posts. After a few pages I start seeing my posts, then other peoples' posts.

Yeah ok M Night Shyamalan

Actually worked this one out recently, it's rewriting the real thread page by page, and if you look at a page of user posts where there weren't enough to fill that page, you get the remaining original posts that weren't overwritten. It's hard to fix at this point!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

All right, so y'all people on the beta who've been using the favoUrite forums thing, are any of you using the checklist to manage your favs? (The button you can press in the favourites view). Or is everyone long-pressing to add and remove them?

Just wondering if I should take out the checklist

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

baka kaba posted:

All right, so y'all people on the beta who've been using the favoUrite forums thing, are any of you using the checklist to manage your favs? (The button you can press in the favourites view). Or is everyone long-pressing to add and remove them?

Just wondering if I should take out the checklist

I long press. I only hit the minus button in my Mac browser.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I like the way the app shows threads. Version 3.3.3

The most time I use my Bookmarks and it works well.
For me no need to change any. :cheers:

On settings - forum index, I have the first three options activated and the show favorites option off. That's perfect for a good view and to go to the mainforum to search some new threads.

The highlighting from the last visited thread under The SA Forums is helpful.

In the time I was using the app I had no problems in any way with it. Using a OnePlusX sadly with an old Android version...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cheers dudes, I already removed the checklist though :v: probably better to just have the long-press stuff anyway

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Came by to say that having BBCode as an option in the long press menu when you're writing a reply is brilliant. Good job whoever came up with that.

Will the ability to browse the Leper's Colony ever be added? I like to read about reprobates.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cheers! And maybe, I might be able to look at it soon

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
No problem, I appreciate it's something that hardly anyone would use so it's probably far far down any to-do list (if it's on it at all!), just wondering out loud really!

But yeah, the BBCode thing is brill.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I mean it would totally be useful for checking why people are banned and the like, I reckon people would use it all the time. It's on the issues list I think! I'll probably have a look at it next

The sad thing about the bbcode stuff is I'm sometimes on my desktop thinking 'I wish I was writing this post on my phone' - that's just wrong

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

What’s this bbcode menu? I don’t have an aroid but I’m curious what it looks like.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

pokeyman posted:

What’s this bbcode menu? I don’t have an aroid but I’m curious what it looks like.

It's just like

where there's a toolbar button and also a button in the text context menu (some anroids hide the toolbar when text is selected) and then it pops up this

and those pop up dialogs to type in, but they try to be smart about selected text. So if you hit bold with something selected it'll just wrap that without showing a dialog, that kind of thing. Also fixes some stuff like the dang mobile YouTube links

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

quote:

3.3.3:

- Fixed stickies

Sure, after we all got used to it. Now it looks weird again. Maybe there should be a "toggle stickies to work backward" option.

P. S. - I too love looking up what people got in trouble for. It'd be bombass to not have to go to my browser for that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BBcode menu looks great! Thanks for the shots.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

baka kaba posted:

I mean it would totally be useful for checking why people are banned and the like, I reckon people would use it all the time. It's on the issues list I think! I'll probably have a look at it next

The sad thing about the bbcode stuff is I'm sometimes on my desktop thinking 'I wish I was writing this post on my phone' - that's just wrong

Same. I hope when they migrate the forums they are able to set up something like in the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There used to be a Firefox extension I used that added all sorts of bbcode stuff to the right click menu or something... I'm a little fuzzy on the details as it's been many years since I last used it. I do remember I was really disappointed when it disappeared.