Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

sorry that you and him are bad at using words then

:shrug:

not a fan of giving cover to exploitation personally but whatever floats your boat

Poor stone cold, hunting those bernie bros all alone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

And yet the same people who think it's disgusting to suggest sweatshops are sometimes the best available alternative for a developing economy are defending government policy that will create Chinese-style textile sweatshops in Rwanda. Sweatshops that are explicitly designed to export goods to the west.

Should the US ban imports of Rwandan textiles until their labor standards are up to par?

Look, I'm going to be frank here - neither of us are experts on the economics of sweatshops. But a cursory search for information on the topic reveals that there are plenty of arguments against sweatshops* from people who are experts (economists, etc). It isn't difficult to find papers addressing the points you're making here (which are basically just the standard right-wing pro-sweatshop talking points).

So the question is this - why are you choosing to take this side of this argument, when you obviously haven't done much research on this topic yourself? At least there's a reasonable motivation for non-experts to take the anti-sweatshop side (because, even if they were some sort of "lesser evil", their existence is still inherently bad in many respects and ideally they wouldn't need to exist in the first place). But there isn't really any reason for a layperson to take the pro-sweatshop side of the argument unless they're just being blindly contrarian or they actually have right-wing economic views. If someone was legitimately just skeptical, the most reasonable opinion would be "I'm not convinced that there's a beneficial way to end/reduce sweatshop labor, but it would be good if there was so I think we should keep trying to think of one." Put another way, it is bizarre to settle on the "welp, looks like we gotta settle for the lesser evil" position before you've even done much research on the topic.

As a side note, it's also important to distinguish between the questions "is sweatshop labor better than nothing at all" and "is sweatshop labor better than an alternative where the US (and other major buyers) mandate certain labor standards." Many, if not most, of the defenses of sweatshops rely upon interpreting the argument as the former (which basically creates a false dilemma).

* defined here as work under unsafe conditions, paying less than a living wage, not allowing labor organizing, etc

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Things said by my (democrat) parents:

"the democrats are bad too"
"there's no such thing as a partisan judge"
"you can't just oppose everything the republicans do"
"they (the republicans) don't hate minorities"

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Look, I'm going to be frank here - neither of us are experts on the economics of sweatshops. But a cursory search for information on the topic reveals that there are plenty of arguments against sweatshops* from people who are experts (economists, etc). It isn't difficult to find papers addressing the points you're making here (which are basically just the standard right-wing pro-sweatshop talking points).

So the question is this - why are you choosing to take this side of this argument, when you obviously haven't done much research on this topic yourself? At least there's a reasonable motivation for non-experts to take the anti-sweatshop side (because, even if they were some sort of "lesser evil", their existence is still inherently bad in many respects and ideally they wouldn't need to exist in the first place). But there isn't really any reason for a layperson to take the pro-sweatshop side of the argument unless they're just being blindly contrarian or they actually have right-wing economic views. If someone was legitimately just skeptical, the most reasonable opinion would be "I'm not convinced that there's a beneficial way to end/reduce sweatshop labor, but it would be good if there was so I think we should keep trying to think of one." Put another way, it is bizarre to settle on the "welp, looks like we gotta settle for the lesser evil" position before you've even done much research on the topic.

As a side note, it's also important to distinguish between the questions "is sweatshop labor better than nothing at all" and "is sweatshop labor better than an alternative where the US (and other major buyers) mandate certain labor standards." Many, if not most, of the defenses of sweatshops rely upon interpreting the argument as the former (which basically creates a false dilemma).

* defined here as work under unsafe conditions, paying less than a living wage, not allowing labor organizing, etc

It might be that he is a bad faith actor that likes to pretend he is the Serious Adult in the Thread, while actually on substance being no better than Effectronica.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"we're concerned about your intolerance (towards republicans)"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Shukaro posted:

"we're concerned about your intolerance (towards republicans)"

:sever:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Shukaro posted:

Things said by my (democrat) parents:

"the democrats are bad too"
"there's no such thing as a partisan judge"
"you can't just oppose everything the republicans do"
"they (the republicans) don't hate minorities"

Ah, a classic case of chronic centrism - may I suggest 200mg of fully automated luxury communism?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/wxdam/status/884943951492415488

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — The sample ballot has a lot of empty space, and that's because there's just one race in this special election: Gaddis versus Nunley.
"Special elections are very commonly won by very small voter turnouts," said Karen Gaddis.
"Every vote does count," said Tressa Nunley.
Gaddis is running as a Democrat for state House District 75, and Nunley is running as a Republican for the seat in east Tulsa County. Gaddis and Nunley are running to fill the seat previously held by Republican Dan Kirby, who resigned following allegations involving sexual harassment.
Voter turnout will play a big role in the election. The early voting total for this race is just over 30 votes, and that's 10 times better than the last special election.
"The last special election, we had 3," said Gwen Freeman of the Tulsa County Election Board.

http://ktul.com/news/local/special-election-for-house-district-75

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Thank God, Oklahoma Republicans are doing their best to Brownback the state.

E: Hmm very important comma there

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

Thank God, Oklahoma Republicans are doing their best to Brownback the state.

E: Hmm very important comma there

the governor is trash and she was letting her daughter live in a trailerhome on the capitol lawn for a few months

we just got a really young chair for the ok dems too: http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/news/a45681/anna-langthorn-democratic-party-chair-oklahoma/

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Posting this from Trump thread because I can't continue the conversation in there.

Robot Hobo posted:

She's been First Lady of an individual US state, First Lady of the United States, a Senator, Secretary of State, and did win the popular vote to be President of the USA.

How broken is our discourse that someone with those qualifications can exist, yet "Grandma needs to shut up and go away" appears to be the general consensus?

Because Grandma needs to shut up and go away! Election losses change things. We don't let losers run again, for obvious loving reasons.

It's so frustrating to see people go "But this isn't campaigning!" as if it isn't the first baby steps towards a redemption.

When we have a new, proper candidate for 2020, Hillary can come out in favor of them and get her moment in the spotlight again.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao Chelsea Clinton's making noises like she wants to run. What the gently caress has she ever done.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
japan's "attack USA" war goal should be like annex Philippines or something

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Lmao Chelsea Clinton's making noises like she wants to run. What the gently caress has she ever done.

She's tweeted. Apparently that's enough these days.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Posting this from Trump thread because I can't continue the conversation in there.

Because Grandma needs to shut up and go away! Election losses change things. We don't let losers run again, for obvious loving reasons.

It's so frustrating to see people go "But this isn't campaigning!" as if it isn't the first baby steps towards a redemption.

When we have a new, proper candidate for 2020, Hillary can come out in favor of them and get her moment in the spotlight again.

Or she can go die in a ditch and stop poisoning this country for once.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If Hillary stopped tweeting, it wouldn't change a thing in the real world. Twitter isn't the real world.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Trabisnikof posted:

If Hillary stopped tweeting, it wouldn't change a thing in the real world. Twitter isn't the real world.

:nallears:

Seriously? Have you noticed who's president right now?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

:nallears:

Seriously? Have you noticed who's president right now?

And if Hillary stopped tweeting Trump will still be president.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Trabisnikof posted:

And if Hillary stopped tweeting Trump will still be president.

No one here suggested otherwise. But her tweets and appearances lately kind of suggest that she's interested in running again, which would be a very bad thing for the Democrats.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WampaLord posted:

How in the world is being First Lady an accomplishment in and of itself? By all means it makes sense to acknowledge the things she may have done as First Lady (and even more so her career prior to becoming First Lady of Arkansas), but pretty much everything beyond that point was the direct result of being with Bill Clinton. There's nothing particularly wrong with that (it makes sense to take advantage of the opportunities made available to you), but it does mean it's weird to chalk those things up as significant accomplishments.

Chelsea should tweet an image of her in Harry Potter wizard robes. She would instantly earn the full support of liberals everywhere.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 12, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

No one here suggested otherwise. But her tweets and appearances lately kind of suggest that she's interested in running again, which would be a very bad thing for the Democrats.

Again, only to people who love to hate her. She isn't running and she certainly doesn't have establishment support anymore. Everyone has moved on. Of course you can find media reports designed to stoke that fear, because it gets clicks and it is way easier to talk about well-troddened figures than actually research and investigate into who is going to be the next leader.

And even if she's stupid enough to want to run again, it doesn't matter what Hillary wants because the real damning factor is that Republicans will still be using her as a Boogy monster in 2019/2020. They will still be saying "yeah butter emails" and asking who killed Seth Rich.

If she was some wonderkin, political genius with a pulse on the nation maybe she could make a comeback, but 2016 proved pretty convincingly that she is none of those things.

Will Menaker has more of a chance to win a statewide primary or caucus for president in 2020 than Hillary.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 12, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Again, only to people who love to hate her.

That doesn't make any sense.:psyduck:

quote:

She isn't running and she certainly doesn't have establishment support anymore. Everyone has moved on. Of course you can find media reports designed to stoke that fear, because it gets clicks and it is way easier to talk about well-troddened figures than actually research and investigate into who is going to be the next leader.

When I look at HuffPo or Salon or Vox and I see Clinton's name, it's not "Oh poo poo, Clinton's going to try to run again, Dems are hosed!" It's, "~Abuelita~ is back! And she's gonna CLAP BACK at Trump, yaaaaay!"

Now, admittedly, those are all terrible sites, but they're good bellwethers for where the MSM is with regard to Clinton right now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

When I look at HuffPo or Salon or Vox and I see Clinton's name, it's not "Oh poo poo, Clinton's going to try to run again, Dems are hosed!" It's, "~Abuelita~ is back! And she's gonna CLAP BACK at Trump, yaaaaay!"

Yes, this is what concerns me.

I do not "love to hate" Hillary. Ironically, I was a big defender of hers, pre-election. But losses change things. She's poison to the Dem brand and needs to go off and do speeches for a while (or charity work, whatever) and not be involved in 2018/2020.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

That doesn't make any sense.:psyduck:

The people who enjoy getting mad at Hillary and yelling at her for poo poo also enjoy getting worked up over the chance she will run again. She's the heel and her running again is an important part of the kayfabe of posting as political action. This is true regardless of what side of her you are on. That's part of why she's politically dead.

Again, a fawning piece in HuffPo does not a presidential campaign make.

WampaLord posted:

needs to go off and do speeches for a while (or charity work, whatever) and not be involved in 2018/2020.

Isn't that what she's doing? Because I agree completely about her continued uninvolvement in 2018/2020.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

She is the daughter of the right parents and was born to wealth and privilege. Why shouldn't she expect a long career in law, consulting, or financial services punctuated by stints occupying influential government posts?

Get with the times. This is meritocracy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The people who enjoy getting mad at Hillary and yelling at her for poo poo also enjoy getting worked up over the chance she will run again. She's the heel and her running again is an important part of the kayfabe of posting as political action. This is true regardless of what side of her you are on. That's part of why she's politically dead.

Again, a fawning piece in HuffPo does not a presidential campaign make.

Isn't that what she's doing? Because I agree completely about her continued uninvolvement in 2018/2020.

I find things like her "Onward Together" campaign a little concerning. Obviously that in and of itself doesn't mean that she's going to run again in 2020, but it suggests that she's keeping the door open. Personally, I think I've been pretty clear that I don't hate Clinton at all. She's a garden variety politician who is no more corrupt or mendacious than 99% of other politicians. But she was a seriously flawed candidate who never should have been the Democratic nominee in 2016, and shouldn't be the nominee in 2020 either. I'm glad to hear you agree, but I think more people in the Democratic Party and the media don't agree than you realize. I don't want Clinton to take these fawning thinkpieces and anti-Trump protests as encouragement for her to run again.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I will never not laugh at Hillary's campaign icon being an arrow pointing towards the right.

She would be a magnificent republican candidate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bedpan posted:

I will never not laugh at Hillary's campaign icon being an arrow pointing towards the right.

"I'm With Her" was such a loving ego-driven dumbass campaign slogan and allowed Donny to easily go "Well, I'm With You All!"

Like, I'm just a loving Marketing major here, but maybe it should have been "She's With Us!"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 12, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually she's politically dead because she's a terrible candidate who lost the most important election of our lifetimes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WampaLord posted:

"I'm With Her" was such a loving ego-driven dumbass campaign slogan and allowed Donny to easily go "Well, I'm With You All!"

Like, I'm just a loving Marketing major here, but maybe it should have been "She's With Us!"

I'm the head of communications/PR at an international nonprofit, and I have to say, you're right, that would have been way better.:stare:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bedpan posted:

Never forget:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

Never forget:

Nazis: actually left-wing

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also:
https://qz.com/423037/its-official-hillary-clintons-logo-is-actually-perfect/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

:thunk:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the connection everyone missed:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

Never forget:

lolololol

I never knew this!

She never did outgrow Barry Goldwater! Never!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

See, this is why those fawning HuffPo/Salon/Sam Bee pieces about Clinton irk me: because they feel like they exist under the same delusional mindset as this piece. "ACTUALLY, Hillary Clinton was a GREAT candidate, and she'd TOTALLY win if the election were held today!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

See, this is why those fawning HuffPo/Salon/Sam Bee pieces about Clinton irk me: because they feel like they exist under the same delusional mindset as this piece. "ACTUALLY, Hillary Clinton was a GREAT candidate, and she'd TOTALLY win if the election were held today!"

Sure but that's a 2015 article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

quote:

Clinton’s 2016 looks like a campaign designed to be remembered—not just to win.

Say whatever else you like about hindsight but it sure as hell knows good comedy.

• Locked thread