Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Find a way to give educators good pay, tenure and benefits and they will flock to your country to work and live there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, they do, otherwise, they will have an obvious brain drain (which they do already) as their best and brightest just stay where-ever and try every trick they can to not move back to where they came from. It doesn't work. Having "Western advisors" come in may be necessary for getting industries up and running, but these countries should take their industrial expertise and use it for their own needs.

The lack of prospects is a major part of the brain drain though. If you had a program where they're guaranteed a well paying job on return you'd limit brain drain with that alone. There would also be other things you could do like agreements with the host country to not allow members of the program to stay, etc. Though I guess my main point would be not so much that the problems are easy to solve or that I have the solutions. The point is that if there was a will to change the problems we'd be seeing different approaches, different attempts at actually fixing the problem. That throwing up hands and saying "well there's no solution here" is not something that can be said without exploring a lot more options than have been explored. The current evidence points more to a desire against African countries succeeding than for an actual failure to succeed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Futuresight posted:

The lack of prospects is a major part of the brain drain though. If you had a program where they're guaranteed a well paying job on return you'd limit brain drain with that alone. There would also be other things you could do like agreements with the host country to not allow members of the program to stay, etc. Though I guess my main point would be not so much that the problems are easy to solve or that I have the solutions. The point is that if there was a will to change the problems we'd be seeing different approaches, different attempts at actually fixing the problem. That throwing up hands and saying "well there's no solution here" is not something that can be said without exploring a lot more options than have been explored. The current evidence points more to a desire against African countries succeeding than for an actual failure to succeed.

Thats the thing, things are changing in Africa but for the most part, it is the intervention of China and a turn towards protectionism that seems to be at the root of it. In the end, Africa needs more than a quick fix, but an entirely different economic model. Africa as a whole isn't going to go anywhere if they accept the same free market holdups on trade and rely on foreign aid (except for extraordinary famines).

There obvious issues with China's intervention, but the fact that major railways are linking African cities is changing the continent. What Africa needs is manufactured exports and infrastructure development, anything else is going to either continue to make them dependent on the West and/or leave them stagnant and starving.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 11, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah that's fair, I was being a bit west-centric in my posts.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

You justified sweatshops on the grounds of a false dichotomy between it and mass unemployment/starvation, but short-term protectionism (to develop local industry until such point that it is able to compete internationally), is exactly the kind of policy that can deliver real progress, without subjecting workers to brutal working conditions. Domestic consumers will pay more for textiles, but that money stays in the local economy and is used to provide for local livelihoods.

By contrast, multinationals setting up shop in improverished areas to take advantage of destitution, contribute nothing other than the pittance of a wage, and those profits of production are then siphoned overseas. It's pure extraction.

There is no comparison.

So you think Rwandan textile factories will not subject workers to the brutal conditions faced by, say, Chinese workers? Because I'm highly confident conditions in these Rwandan factories will be similar or worse. That's the comparison here.

https://qz.com/661463/a-chinese-garment-factory-is-helping-rwanda-wean-itself-from-western-hand-me-downs/

quote:

To stop relying on Western hand-me-downs, African countries are importing Chinese textile companies

Kigali, Rwanda

Every day the workers at C&H Garment Factory are required to learn a few words of Chinese. Today’s lesson, written on a whiteboard at the back of a humming factory floor, is the numbers 8, 9, and 10—written in Kinyarwanda, English, and Mandarin. “We’re a Chinese company so we want to introduce a little Chinese culture to them,” the textile company’s owner, Candy Ma, tells Quartz.

Like many workers in China, the staff are required to do group exercises before beginning their day. Signs with the words “diligence,” “quality,” and “responsibility,” written in English and Chinese, hang from the rafters. Chinese and Rwandan flags fly outside the glass-paneled building that houses C&H, which began operations last year in the Kigali Special Economic Zone on the outskirts of the capital.

Ma’s factory is the culmination of recent government efforts to establish a Rwandan textile industry and expand the country’s almost nonexistent manufacturing sector. For Rwanda, it’s also about moving on from being another third-world African country dressed in hand-me-downs donated from Western countries.

Ma has partnered with the Rwandan government to train locals in garment manufacturing, making clothing to sell locally as well as to export.
One of the project’s goals, according to Rwanda’s minister of trade, is to stop relying on second-hand clothing and save the “struggling dignity” of the Rwandan people.
This is where industrialists like Ma come in. An energetic petite woman from Xi’an in central China, Ma moved to Rwanda two years ago upon invitation from Mukubu’s Private Sector Federation. Before that she had set up shop in Ethiopia, one of the first African countries to become a base for Chinese textile manufacturing, where she first heard Rwanda was looking for investment. She also ran a mobile phone factory in Kenya.

Ma says she was attracted to the Rwandan government’s business friendly approach—taxes are low, she’s only required to pay income tax—the cleanliness of the capital city Kigali, and the people she encountered on a scoping mission. America’s recent renewal of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), which gives African textile producers duty-free access to US markets for 15 years, has been another incentive.

“I have a lot of experience doing business in Africa and thought, ‘This could work,'” she says.

So far, C&H’s workforce of 800, which includes trainees and already trained workers, are making police uniforms, safety vests, and most recently military kit for the Rwandan security forces. C&H’s main product, uniforms, are mostly exported to Europe and the United States. They are branching out into underwear, which Ma plans to sell locally.

So about those exploitative foreign multinationals setting up shop in impoverished areas to take advantage of destitution...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Is there any kind of textile mill that isn't a "sweatshop?"

Not since NAFTA.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Not since NAFTA.

lmao yes prior to nafta textile shops were fantastic and paragons of labor rights

(fyi dumbass most textiles to the us come not from the nafta region you stupid idiot but from china, vietnam, bangladesh, and indonesia

domestic textiles make up less than 3% of market share)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

certainly in the us historical textile shops were always cool and good which is why a labor union was never formed

cough triangle shirtwaist fire cough ilgwu hack hack acwa cough twua cough

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ You're correct that Mister Facetious's post was dumb to the point of being downright amusing, but is there any reason why you don't also attempt to argue against JC's bizarre defense of the exploitation currently occurring in sweatshops? Like, that seems like a much more inherently harmful line of reasoning (since it's one shared by a lot of people who actually have power) than someone dumbly misunderstanding the reasons sweatshop labor exists.

JeffersonClay posted:

I still think there's a case that Rwanda should do what it's doing, but I don't think you can make that case without accepting sweatshops are sometimes better than the alternatives and the poor will be harmed in the short term by higher prices.

No one was ever making this argument. When this came up in the past, people were opposed to sweatshops because there's always the option of the government mandating that domestic companies only use/contract with foreign companies that maintain reasonable labor standards (or have reasonable standards themselves if it's their own factories). While this could cause some jobs to be lost in some places, they would just be replaced by jobs someplace else (and likely in another relatively poor country, since a living wage in many poorer countries is still significantly less than minimum wage in the US, when translated to dollars).

edit: I think what's particularly disgusting about this whole line of argument is that the people making it always put this big focus on how the poor in other countries would be harmed by regulating sweatshop labor (never mind if that's even true), but completely ignore the fact that the vast, overwhelming majority of the world's wealth is condensed among a tiny percent of its population. Like, if your concern was really for the poor, your priorities in arguments like this would be very different. (Is this what's considered "concern trolling"? I've always been unclear on the meaning of that term.)

VitalSigns posted:

JC hates all those things tho, that's why he wants multinational corporations running the sweatshops and threatening the government into sending out the army to crack skulls any time there's a whisper of unionization or agitation for health and safety not to mention fair pay.

You know, I'm not even sure if he actively wants stuff like this. I think that he's only making these arguments to be contrarian against what leftists are saying (with the logic presumably being "if they believe Thing, then Thing must not be true").

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 11, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ You're correct that Mister Facetious's post was dumb to the point of being downright amusing, but is there any reason why you don't also attempt to argue against JC's bizarre defense of the exploitation currently occurring in sweatshops? Like, that seems like a much more inherently harmful line of reasoning (since it's one shared by a lot of people who actually have power) than someone dumbly misunderstanding the reasons sweatshop labor exists.

It's because stone cold is an unreconstructed Clintonista, like JC.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
And yet the same people who think it's disgusting to suggest sweatshops are sometimes the best available alternative for a developing economy are defending government policy that will create Chinese-style textile sweatshops in Rwanda. Sweatshops that are explicitly designed to export goods to the west.

Should the US ban imports of Rwandan textiles until their labor standards are up to par?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

stone cold posted:

lmao yes prior to nafta textile shops were fantastic and paragons of labor rights

(fyi dumbass most textiles to the us come not from the nafta region you stupid idiot but from china, vietnam, bangladesh, and indonesia

domestic textiles make up less than 3% of market share)

Sorry you can't read between the lines, but I was referring to textile factories that existed in North America.
You know, the ones that used to have worker rights and building/fire code regulations.

Better luck next time, bro.

JeffersonClay posted:

Should the US ban imports of Rwandan textiles until their labor standards are up to par?

The shrimp industry tried this in the 90s because their prices were being undercut significantly (the EPA joined in, because turtle/bycatch deaths), and the WTO overruled them.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 11, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The point was sweatshops aren't the best available alternative, and you use of 'well it's better than starving' was creating a false choice to retroactively justify the exploitation seen in sweatshops. I've no special concern for Chinese multinationals, but the policy being defended was a ban on dumping second-hand textiles in the hope of developing local manufacturers, which while obviously no full communism now, is superior to both sweatshops and starvation.

You're not a samaritan or a 'serious' person, you're just a running dog for multinationals.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

The point was sweatshops aren't the best available alternative, and you use of 'well it's better than starving' was creating a false choice to retroactively justify the exploitation seen in sweatshops. I've no special concern for Chinese multinationals, but the policy being defended was a ban on dumping second-hand textiles in the hope of developing local manufacturers, which while obviously no full communism now, is superior to both sweatshops and starvation.

Were you unaware that foreign investment is a method by which local manufacturing capacity is built when you were defending Rwandan sweatshops?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
banana republic: it's just a place people got clothing right

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't necessarily think Chinese multi-nations are better than Western ones, but the fact that at least some type of industrialization is happening there is a big improvement compared to literally being on the bottom of the trade totem pole. Unfortunately, Rwanda is in such a position in the first place but ultimately they have no other choice.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/884729428638617600

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/884811348697387008

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JeffersonClay posted:

So about those exploitative foreign multinationals setting up shop in impoverished areas to take advantage of destitution...

Ma is going to take all the money, at the end of the day Rwanda will have tons of foreign-owned factories, a tiny amount of native Rwanadan management working side-by-side with the foreign managers (who will overwhelmingly hold all the higher echelon salary and status positions), and a huge amount of barely paid Rwandan workers who are vulnerable to injury and paid at a subsistence level.

How is this going to solve their problems? You say "this is how local manufacturing is built" but in fact this example is EXPLICITLY foreign-owned investment setting up their private factories to take advantage of low taxes.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
so let the workers unionize or just let the government nationalize the poo poo factories once they've become too much of a problem to tolerate?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

so let the workers unionize or just let the government nationalize the poo poo factories once they've become too much of a problem to tolerate?

I'm sure the multinationals will roll over and let their investment get seized.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I'm sure the multinationals will roll over and let their investment get seized.

well what in the gently caress are they going to do about it; it's a landlocked country with no money

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

well what in the gently caress are they going to do about it; it's a landlocked country with no money

Bribes to the right people, I would imagine.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bribes to the right people, I would imagine.

yeah, stirring up a spectacular civil war is exactly the kind of thing foreign multinationals do+are known to do when their assets are seized on account of their fuckery; you've got me there

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Arbitrarily nationalizing foreign assets sounds like a splendid way to kill foreign investment in a country.

How are these countries supposed to make money anyways? Y'all hate the idea of both local industry and foreign investment. Perhaps they should grow organic free-range coffee and enter the ~app industry~?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Y'all hate the idea of local industry

no?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Arbitrarily nationalizing foreign assets sounds like a splendid way to kill foreign investment in a country.

yeah, alternatives are to adjust labor laws and other poo poo to make it increasingly difficult for foreign companies to abuse your citizens, which would also discourage foreign investment but maybe not outright extinguish it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Wait are people seriously running with "well sweatshop wages are better than nothing, they should be thankful" in 2017?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ma is going to take all the money, at the end of the day Rwanda will have tons of foreign-owned factories, a tiny amount of native Rwanadan management working side-by-side with the foreign managers (who will overwhelmingly hold all the higher echelon salary and status positions), and a huge amount of barely paid Rwandan workers who are vulnerable to injury and paid at a subsistence level.

How is this going to solve their problems? You say "this is how local manufacturing is built" but in fact this example is EXPLICITLY foreign-owned investment setting up their private factories to take advantage of low taxes.

How could anything but this happen? They're not running out of people or poison land in China, the reason they're coming to Rwanda is because they're cheaper than Chinese.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

call to action posted:

How could anything but this happen?

i mean there are ways to obtain rights for workers; even if the government won't explicitly enact laws to that order, collective bargaining is A Thing

unless someone persuades the government to outlaw collective bargaining, then things get hosed in a hurry

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 11, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i guess what it comes down to is that while it's a good thing that places like rwanda are taking steps to get out of the third world, a lot of bad poo poo can happen along the way

if they try to un-third-world themselves via foreign capitalist investment, they need to be aware that capitalism running amok will exploit and destroy everything it touches unless it's regulated and controlled properly by the government

and even then capitalism might just exploit and destroy everything a bit more slowly instead, but that's another matter

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress wouldn't the Chinese have a bunch of Rwandan Pinkertons roughing up labor organizers and burning their poo poo down?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i guess what it comes down to is that while it's a good thing that places like rwanda are taking steps to get out of the third world, a lot of bad poo poo can happen along the way

if they try to un-third-world themselves via foreign capitalist investment, they need to be aware that capitalism running amok will exploit and destroy everything it touches unless it's regulated and controlled properly by the government

and even then capitalism might just exploit and destroy everything a bit more slowly instead, but that's another matter

I would say the issue is that countries like Rwanda have traditionally been completely ignored (beyond a few hollywood films) and have been fighting to keep their a head above water for decades. The only shot they have at this point is exploitative, it shouldn't be but it is the sad state of much of the third world. I think the only hope to in all honesty is to build up enough of a manufacturing base they can start dictating new terms that or try to find a benefactor that isn't cynically explotive (yeah...).

That said Rwanda's only way out one way or another is industrialization and the status quo is unacceptable.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

call to action posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't the Chinese have a bunch of Rwandan Pinkertons roughing up labor organizers and burning their poo poo down?

i imagine the rwandan government would get involved even faster if a foreign company was paying its citizens to beat the poo poo out of each other

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Sorry you can't read between the lines, but I was referring to textile factories that existed in North America.
You know, the ones that used to have worker rights and building/fire code regulations.

Better luck next time, bro.

The shrimp industry tried this in the 90s because their prices were being undercut significantly (the EPA joined in, because turtle/bycatch deaths), and the WTO overruled them.

don't call me bro

also, your implication was that prior to nafta there were never exploitative or harmful practices in the us which is untrue hence why i brought up american garment unions dumbass

like, newflash, have you heard of runaway shops in the south

or the fly by night shops in la

(hint: those existed before nafta, maybe you should consider that the problem is american capitalism, and not just nafta, thinking it's just nafta provides a really broad cover for people to handwave away what are in fact systematic problems)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stone cold posted:

don't call me bro

also, your implication was that prior to nafta there were never exploitative or harmful practices in the us which is untrue hence why i brought up american garment unions dumbass

uh, "not since NAFTA passed, no", while being silly and flippant, pretty clearly means "there hasn't been good textile factories since this happened", and not "there was never bad textile factories before this"

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

call to action posted:

i imagine the rwandan government would get involved even faster if a foreign company was paying its citizens to beat the poo poo out of each other

You're assuming that the Rwandan government won't be susceptible through either straight bribery or just promises of further "job creating" investments to look the other way, which is sadly what often happens when you're dealing with young nation states that have already been screwed in the past by foreign powers.

And the Chinese are not above threatening to pull out if things don't go their way.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

uh, "not since NAFTA passed, no", while being silly and flippant, pretty clearly means "there hasn't been good textile factories since this happened", and not "there was never bad textile factories before this"

sorry that you and him are bad at using words then

:shrug:

not a fan of giving cover to exploitation personally but whatever floats your boat

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Brony Car posted:

You're assuming that the Rwandan government won't be susceptible through either straight bribery or just promises of further "job creating" investments to look the other way, which is sadly what often happens when you're dealing with young nation states that have already been screwed in the past by foreign powers.

it's a hell of an assumption to say that a government is going to put its people's best interests before the officials' own wallets, yeah :smith:

Brony Car posted:

And the Chinese are not above threatening to pull out if things don't go their way.

to go down this road a bit, though: what would happen if a foreign multinational did pull out of capital investment in a third-world african nation?

i imagine that at the very least, the public infrastructure needed to support the industry would stay behind, and the country would remain capable of producing and exporting goods that the foreign multinational's customers were interested in buying

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 11, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stone cold posted:

sorry that you and him are bad at using words then

:shrug:

not a fan of giving cover to exploitation personally but whatever floats your boat

the only thing I've said in this discussion is that you've misread what he typed, and that multinational corporations will protect their investments.

relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

To be fair, I was being deliberately reductive, when I could've easily been more nuanced in my facetiousness.

• Locked thread