Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Clay Travis. People who make rape jokes don't even deserve effort posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Seriously, guys.

Patriots fans may be douches in the context of sports fandom. They might even be douches outside of sports fandom - but I can't say that about every single Pats fan. We have some cool and good Pats fans on here, even! By and large I'd say they're douchey, yeah. But seriously - look at loving Clay Travis. It's not just that he's a racist, sexist douche - it's that that is his career. His entire being is douche. He gets paid to be a douche and write about how he's a douche and be lovely to other people. He's not just a douche, he enables other douchery because for some reason there are dumbasses who take this shithead seriously.

This shouldn't even be a contest.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

The Mattybee posted:

Seriously, guys.

Patriots fans may be douches in the context of sports fandom. They might even be douches outside of sports fandom - but I can't say that about every single Pats fan. We have some cool and good Pats fans on here, even! By and large I'd say they're douchey, yeah. But seriously - look at loving Clay Travis. It's not just that he's a racist, sexist douche - it's that that is his career. His entire being is douche. He gets paid to be a douche and write about how he's a douche and be lovely to other people. He's not just a douche, he enables other douchery because for some reason there are dumbasses who take this shithead seriously.

This shouldn't even be a contest.
Also Clay Travis is an actual human being and not a nebulous cloud.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Pats Fans for their bitching and whining whenever the tiniest thing doesn't go their way or anyone exposes their cheating team.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
They both are worthy contenders, but I have to vote Clay Travis simply on principle of voting for individual achievement versus nebulous group nominees.

But man, all that Deflategate whining...

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Clay Travis because people like him need to be shamed. Look at the super ginny kayak he is in.

The Juggernaut fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I tend to vote for individuals over groups, and Clay Travis is no different. That rape joke :yikes:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Clay Travis wins, 49-19.

It will be an hour or more before I have the next match up.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

Clay Travis wins, 49-19.
Biggest blowout in the tournament?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Biggest blowout in the tournament?

Someone got shut out a couple of votes ago I think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Highest points total to date. But, there have been two unanimous decisions (Spanos family over Ryan Pace and Tom Brady over Jarran Reed), and also one larger margin of victory (Brady over Reed by 32 points).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not a fan of all the anti-group bias I see amongst the votes. Just weigh each side as you will, don't go "Well, I'm voting for this person because I don't like the concept of voting for a group."

Groups are perfectly valid options.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

WampaLord posted:

I'm not a fan of all the anti-group bias I see amongst the votes. Just weigh each side as you will, don't go "Well, I'm voting for this person because I don't like the concept of voting for a group."

Small defined groups, like the Spanos Clan or the Baylor Regents, makes sense, but attributing anything to a huge group like All Pats Fans or Everyone in Cincinatti is useless.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's a massive difference between an organization and "a bunch of people who like the same thing or live in the same place or something" and it's valid to discount pointless nominations such as those. several more specific bengals could have been in the tournament if not for such generic nonsense

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cavauro posted:

there's a massive difference between an organization and "a bunch of people who like the same thing or live in the same place or something" and it's valid to discount pointless nominations such as those. several more specific bengals could have been in the tournament if not for such generic nonsense

Haven't half the posts in this thread been "Jesus christ why are there so many bengals in this thing?"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Easily less than 35% of the posts

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I nominate Cavauro for the Hall of Fame for making a mockery of this exercise in mockery.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shangri-Law School posted:

I nominate Cavauro for the Hall of Fame for making a mockery of this exercise in mockery.

Seconded

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

:agreed:

Cavauro for the Hall of Fame.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And in the blink of an eye, Cavauro is now tied with Darren Rovell for the #1 seed in the lifetime doucheievement category, with three seconds.

I would just like to point out that last year's champion was Baylor University, and we have a prior, immortalized lifetime douchievement award winner The NCAA. These are both distinct organizations, but pretty large ones. I'm not sure if the distinction between, say, The NCAA, and The 13th Man (another perennial nominee) is really worth drawing.

That said, people are free to vote in accordance with any whim, so if you hate those nebulous group nominations and want to vote against them, you totally can and that's OK.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like To criticize personal decisions, rather than the rules, which have allowed some good memories

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

Patriots fans is too far nebulous a group to pin down compared to one specific rear end in a top hat, especially when the common trends among Pats fans can be found in most fan groups of teams that win a lot. That said, most winning teams don't have people like Tom Brady and Bill Belichick at the helm.

Ugh, I feel dirty for somehow defending Patriot fans.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Patriots fans is too far nebulous a group to pin down compared to one specific rear end in a top hat, especially when the common trends among Pats fans can be found in most fan groups of teams that win a lot. That said, most winning teams don't have people like Tom Brady and Bill Belichick at the helm.

Ugh, I feel dirty for somehow defending Patriot fans.

I understand, but there are probably pediatric oncologists saving the lives of children from horrifying diseases and people like that who cheer for Tom Brady, so eh.

On average Boston sports fans are god-awful for sure.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

sean10mm posted:

I understand, but there are probably pediatric oncologists saving the lives of children from horrifying diseases and people like that who cheer for Tom Brady, so eh.

Don't pretend like a Pats fan can become less terrible just because they are a decent human being.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sean10mm posted:

This is like "Hitler was a vegetarian" levels of apologism.

:godwin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is what happens to the thread when there's nothing to vote on.

Everyone who insisted Kaep insulted the troops vs. Trent Dilfer

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone who insisted Kaep insulted the troops
Last season during the preseason Colin Kaepernick quietly began kneeling during the national anthem before games. A few people noticed and when asked, he presented his case: he was doing it in protest of racial injustice and police brutality, particularly towards black men and other people of color.

Unfortunately for Kaepernick, he ran headfirst into a deeply, deeply ingrained conglomeration of American myths, passions, convictions, etc. that go well beyond the already deeply contentious issues of race and criminal justice in the US. We do not need to hash those all out here: reasonable people can disagree about whether his protest was "appropriate," had or has potential to be effective, can or cannot be separated from the man and his other opinions, and so on.

But one particular aspect of the backlash that rapidly built against Kaep that I found especially douchebaggy was the conflation of a protest during the National Anthem, and some kind of connection to the US military.

I think this article in the Atlantic from last year presents the problem reasonably well:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/08/colin-kaepernick-nfl-patriotism/498014/

quote:

America’s most popular sports league is also its most visibly patriotic, a trait discernible in everything from pregame fighter-jet flyovers to field-sized flags to coaches’ instructions about the anthem during behind-the-scenes shows. It doesn’t require an extreme amount of cynicism or research to note that this is as much about industry acumen as love of country—the league has a brand, and the stars and stripes are a part of it—but like all branding, it works best when it is assumed as a matter of course. With his means of protest, then, Kaepernick is not only using his platform as an athlete to raise awareness about ongoing tragedies. He’s also, whether by design or not, questioning the NFL’s insistent but narrow definition of patriotism, shining a harsh light on its red-white-and-blue wallpaper.

Essentially, to the extent that Kaep's protest "insults the troops," that is only the case because the NFL specifically, and to a lesser degree the entire country generally, absolutely loving loves to drape any aspect relating to patriotism with military iconography. This is deeply, deeply ingrained: the actual words to the Star Spangled Banner were written by Francis Scott Key as a poem called Defence of Fort M'Henry about the US flag staying up during the night of a fearsome battle - the bombardment of an American fort by the British during the War of 1812. But that connection is not, today, inherent: we sing the national anthem in many contexts in which the military is uninvolved. There's something more going on here: the NFL and the Pentagon have a tight, and monetarily-based, partnership in which they engage in cross-promotion for branding purposes. Basically, the reason people who watch NFL football are thinking about the troops, is because the NFL and the US government have spend a fuckton of money making sure of it. Per that 2015 article:

quote:

As much as $6.8M has been spent by the Department of Defense on secret payments to pro sports teams in exchange for tributes to the military over the past four years.

But Kaepernick himself made clear from the very outset that his protest was specifically about police getting off scott free for the racist oppression and murder of black people.

quote:

A couple days after sitting for the anthem, Kaepernick addressed reporters and said his actions aren’t intended to insult the military. “I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country,” he said. “And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That’s not happening.”

And yet countless douchebags, including some of his own teammates, cannot take the man's word.

quote:

When asked about Kaepernick’s actions, his ex-teammate and now-Minnesota Viking Alex Boone, whose brother served as a Marine, spoke passionately. “That flag obviously gives him the right to do whatever he wants. I understand it. At the same time, you should have some loving respect for people who served, especially people that lost their life to protect our freedom.”

The response rests on certain assumptions. The anthem is, in Boone’s presentation, a means of honoring America’s military—not the country’s ideological foundation or its cultural or political history—and so Kaepernick is offending the military. Contrast this understanding with, say, that of the national anthems played for the victors at the Olympics. American medalists tend to report on the experience of hearing the anthem played as a prideful and reminiscent one that brings up visions of parents, hometowns, and training partners and coaches along the way. It is celebratory, not supplicant, patriotism.

Sure Boone, but Kaep explicitly and publicly expressed that respect. People were, and still are, wilfully ignoring it. Why? Because by insisting that the whole thing is about disrespecting the troops, they can ignore the actual issues being raised. We don't have to confront the fact of police violence against black men, and the legal and political systems that ignore, condone, or even promote it, if we can instead take the opportunity to be insulted on behalf of our troops, who we obviously must honor at any and every opportunity.

If you think it's wrong to kneel instead of stand for the Anthem, OK - I strenuously disagree, but that's a point people can make. If you think there's no racism or the police are doing just fine or cops are being appropriately punished for blowing away unarmed black men on a routine basis, OK, you're a loving idiot, but fine. But insisting that someone's protest is exactly what they are clearly and unequivocally stating it isn't, is just douchebaggery. Especially when you use that as an excuse to avoid the real problems being raised.

sean10mm posted:

Alright, let's get some :911: Real American :911: poo poo in here.

I used to be one of Are Troops. The Army sent me to 3rd world shitholes to unfuck the planet's rear end in a top hat clusters for God and Country. I got ribbons and silver jump wings and all kinds of poo poo, and I'm here to tell you effete little buttermilk-making GBS threads special snowflake pisspants motherfucks that the correct answer to the question of "Who should win this round of douchebag voting?" is:

People who insisted Kaep disrespected the troops.

I don't like mass awards, but the fake-patriotic uproar over what Kaepernick did was just stupid bullshit all the way down. Plus, again, nobody cares about the Bengals.

Leperflesh posted:

Trent Dilfer

Trent Farris Dilfer (born March 13, 1972) is a former American football quarterback who played 13 seasons in the National Football League. He is also a former NFL analyst for ESPN.

seiferguy posted:

(re: Kaep's protest):

quote:

“No matter how passionate you are, no matter how much of a burden you have for social issues, you don’t let it get in the way of the team. This is a backup quarterback whose job is to be quiet and sit in the shadows and get the starter ready to play in Week 1. Yet he chose a time where all of a sudden, he became the center of attention.”

In other words: keep quiet and know your place. I could talk about how much underlying racism there is here, but I think most of us can pick up on it. Then he went on that weird derail about how he could have used his position as a QB to speak out against child slavery but didn't because he didn't want to hurt his team :confused:

I also found this:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/adam-schefter-trent-dilfer-feud-jimmy-garoppolo-trade-patriots/151kzfl8nuyc21qahbw7ypiyl4

quote:

Former NFL quarterback and ESPN NFL analyst Trent Dilfer suggested last week the Patriots brass were using Schefter as a mouthpiece with his statement that New England would receive a first-round pick and a fourth-rounder for Garoppolo.

Schefter fired back at his ESPN colleague on Tuesday, saying "nobody in New England has ever stated any price" for Garoppolo. He added that Dilfer's "promise" that no team would give up that much for the third-year quarterback is " factually incorrect."
"And again, facts will be used to correct Trent there, nobody in New England has ever stated any price to me on Jimmy Garoppolo and nobody has ever said to me, ‘Can you please put that out there so we can drum up the interest.’

"It’s amazing that somebody that I work with and respect as much as I do would say something like that."

Dilfer was among the first batch of employees recently axed as ESPN has radically cut staffing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Everyone who insisted Kaep insulted the troops is far-and-away one of the groups in the entire thing and absolutely deserves to move on. the most douchey part about them is that they are a faceless sea of whiners, and are objectively a far larger amount of douches than trent dilfer

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 12, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kaep People

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Dilfer

He technically is a part of the other group already, but he also thinks that his specific opinion is somehow more valid than the rest of those jamokes. The only two people who actually give a poo poo about Dilfer's opinions on Kaep (or anything, really) are whoever put him on air and Dilfer himself.

Dilfer uses social media and hot take talk shows to talk down about Kaep's subtle, respectful, and accurate protest as a sign of entitlement and doesn't see the loving irony therein.

Also, his name is Trent. Trent. That's probably #6 on the douchiest possible name. He probably asks his wife if she thinks he's a DILF-er every day and it probably kills her to hear that poo poo joke.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Normally I would go for the individual over the group, but Dilfer got fired so who cares about him, and Kaep People are the worst for reasons I already ranted about earlier.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Don't make me choose. :(

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Don't make me choose. :(

God, I know, this one is super hard for me too. Are we allowed to take past events into account, or do we just judge them based on what happened in the last year?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kaep people ushered in Trump

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I guarantee you that over 50% of Kaep People aren't even that patriotic to begin with and just got huffy over a colored person kneeling during the Anthem

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eli Wiggum posted:

I guarantee you that over 50% of Kaep People aren't even that patriotic to begin with and just got huffy over a colored person kneeling during the Anthem

Or someone told them to on Fox News.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't even like Kaep very much but I'm totally voting for Kaep People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Kaep People for using "are troops" as a front for overt racism.

• Locked thread