Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They did the warp speed limit thing about the ozone holes?

I think the problem is that there hasn't been a trek made since climate change has been a mainstream issue. Yes, actual scientists have known this is a huge threat for a very long time, but it was still some how "controversial" even 10 years ago and it still is at the regressive fringe. Classic trek was at the bleeding edge of some social issues in the 60's (yet regressive for the time on others, like women). TNG was also progressive for its time on some issues but not others (GAYS ARE GROSS!!!!). DS9 was great and touched on tons of things but I can't think of any single controversial contemporary issue they tackled in an obvious way(although did manage to piss off a ton of nerd by saying racism was and still is a thing), and Voyager abandoned all sense of morality or decency. ENT took the brave post 9/11 stance that torture and preemptive war are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

They did the warp speed limit thing about the ozone holes?

No, see, that one doesn't count because it was a metaphor and at no point did all the crew stare at the camera and go "This is about environmentalism."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WampaLord posted:

No, see, that one doesn't count because it was a metaphor and at no point did all the crew stare at the camera and go "This is about environmentalism."

"Number one, the zero-point temperature of subspace is rising steadily every year. It would normally thin the numbers of the Spucebarkians but the increased amount of subspace radiation sustains their populations."
"drat those Ferengi corporations. drat galactic warming."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teS11jE95WM&t=65s

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WampaLord posted:

This isn't what I'm saying at all.

Baronjutter posted:

I think the problem is that there hasn't been a trek made since climate change has been a mainstream issue.

This probably has more to do with it and is why I'm interested to see if Discovery will deal with the reality of it or not. UNFCCC was in 1992 so it's not like nobody knew about it when DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise were being made, but then again it's still too controversial topic for some people to get their heads out of the sand.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The zero point energy of the universe increasing would be super bad because if it ever collapsed back to a lower state I think everything would explode. Like everything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

The zero point energy of the universe increasing would be super bad because if it ever collapsed back to a lower state I think everything would explode. Like everything.

Well that has an easy solution--just keep doing whatever space pollution you're doing to heat it up!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

This probably has more to do with it and is why I'm interested to see if Discovery will deal with the reality of it or not. UNFCCC was in 1992 so it's not like nobody knew about it when DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise were being made, but then again it's still too controversial topic for some people to get their heads out of the sand.
If Discovery becomes an ongoing concern I imagine they would at least touch on it or a direct proxy for it in some fashion.

In-universe I imagine climate change matters aren't a big problem because the Federation's main source of day-to-day power is nuclear fusion, and their transportation equipment doesn't run on fossil fuels. (I guess there are hobbyist dune buggies but I imagine they replicate the gas. Replicated gas probably has a low climate impact.)

Out of universe I guess you have the challenge of how you write a dramatic story that is about climate change AND NOT ALSO about something else, primarily. Like, refugees? Now it's a refugee story. Corrupt polluter conspiracy? Now it's an uncovering-corruption story. Etc. Do you just have the main characters sit and have a sober conversation about how Earth is ruined now due to ancient warlord Donald Trump?

I'm reminded of one of the criticisms of "The Matrix," the original one, which is that it didn't bring up things like "Project for a New American Century."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I mean obviously climate change isn't going to be a problem for the Federation, they are basically magical land of Oz and don't have to worry about it for the same reasons they don't have to worry about poverty, disease, nationalism, racism, etc. (in the TNG episode with the warp speed limit Picard straight up says to the aliens "we'll just give you guys a weather control device"). And I'm not even saying they should do stories about it since its being a solved problem basically must be a fait accompli for Star Trek to take place at all. It's just weird to me that Trek has not yet incorporated something like that into the highly elastic fictional history it presents, when it has no problems bunging in Escape from New York Sanctuary Cities on top of Khan and WW3.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't know, I remember growing up when TNG was originally airing and things like climate change weren't even on my mind back then. The hole in the o-zone was a huge deal, though, and it completely went over my head that the episode about limiting warp speed was Star trek's way of discussing that subject.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The hole in the o-zone was a huge deal

I guess the whole numa numa thing was more Enterprise-era

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Rocko's Modern Life had the best episode on the hole in the ozone

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

We called it global warming back then and learned about it in Weekly Reader.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The final episode of loving Dinosaurs was probably the hardest hitting climate change poo poo that's ever been on TV.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alright, 'In the Pale Moonlight', let's go.

This is one you all rate highly, right?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

YES YES YES

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

One of the best DS9 episodes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Coming from Dr. Who I might not watch it because you could die from sudden exposure to quality television.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
"I was going to bring the Romulans into the war."

ohhhh poo poo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Coming from Dr. Who I might not watch it because you could die from sudden exposure to quality television.

Nice try. :smug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

"I was going to bring the Romulans into the war."

ohhhh poo poo

The Sisko owns so much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This Sisko/Dax role play is really good

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

This Sisko/Dax role play is really good

It's one of the few times a scene with dax pulling on her wise old diplomat experience actually worked and made for a good scene.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Betazed?! Lwaxana no! :ohdear:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kazinsal posted:

If you told me five years ago I'd be more excited for a sci-fi series written by and starring Seth MacFarlane than a new Star Trek I would ask you what sanitarium you escaped from.

I would like to point out that I posted this back in February before his new show was announced and I had said it before then:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Seth MacFarlane is one of the few creative types I have heard talk about Star Trek that made me think they actually understood it.

I kind of wish he had helmed the `09 reboots instead of Abraham's, but I have no clue is he is even capable of doing anything remotely serious.

Then again, with all of the shoe-horned nostalgia references that the new movies had, I am not sure it would have made any difference.

It's times like this that I think to my self that I should really choose my wishes more carefully...

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The final episode of loving Dinosaurs was probably the hardest hitting climate change poo poo that's ever been on TV.

I heard it wasn't supposed to be the last episode but they knew they weren't going to get the go-ahead to finish the remaining episodes in the season so they reached through the television and said, "You see those dinosaurs? gently caress those dinosaurs"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Sisko looking right at the camera is really off putting.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

The Sisko looking right at the camera is really off putting.

Unsettling I'd say instead. The payoff is worth it either way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yes unsettling is a better word. Brooks is selling the hell out of this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OH! This is where the 'It's a faaaake!' is from! It's such a weird line read.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh shiiiiiit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"...I can live with it."

drat, that was so good.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The_Doctor posted:

"...I can live with it."

drat, that was so good.

There is no two ways about it: the very best episode of trek.

" Mr Garak will be along shortly to see you "
" Garak? He's... here?" :ohdear:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching the Defector. This is one hell of a cold open (medieval guys talking in a field then medieval Data comes up and starts shakespearing at them)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol it just cut away to Picard, in starfleet uniform, mouthing Data's lines to him like this

https://vine.co/v/iJbUWJaEmhX

This episode is gonna be really good.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And Patrick Stewart is also playing one of the medieval guys Data's with? My god

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data was listing the last names of famous Shakespearean actors he was emulating, but the list didn't include "Stewart." Come on, I would have forgiven you

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Based on the Romulans being sneaky and fiercely loyal to the empire, I'm going to give 3:2 odds this is a fake defection.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Based on the Romulans being sneaky and fiercely loyal to the empire, I'm going to give 3:2 odds this is a fake defection.

Looks like Riker's as suspicious as I am.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope the TNG fashion blog has multiple articles dedicated to just the shoulderpads on that Romulan's outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah that episode is good in that the viewer's immediate "wait, but--" is the actual point of the episode