Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Well you'd really be voting for Franken, which is fairly cool & good.

well yeah I'm on the record for franken but I'd have to hold my nose while I voted for a franken/stein pair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i know ben stein was on comedy central for a while but i cant imagine franken choosing him as his vp candidate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

i know ben stein was on comedy central for a while but i cant imagine franken choosing him as his vp candidate

I mean Gore did choose Lieberman for VP, so ...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean Gore did choose Lieberman for VP, so ...

i considered that as my alternative joke

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

so 25% of people are clueless then

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna repost a joke from the old thread cuz gently caress all y'all:

Dems should run Whitehouse/Tester 2020, it'll just be a one term presidency.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dems should run their refrigerator so that they better uh should go catch it. Dang it, still trying to workshop this one hang on.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This was a good read, thanks

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

quote:

Teen blasted ‘F–k Tha Police’ during slain officer’s funeral

A Bronx teen defiantly blasted the NWA song “F— Tha Police” out his third-floor apartment window Tuesday as thousands of cops were gathered below to mourn slain cop Miosotis Familia — prompting a house call from about 20 officers.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/11/teen-blasted-f-k-tha-police-during-slain-officers-funeral/

a good dem :coolfish:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:agreed:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scent of Worf posted:

Teen blasted ‘F–k Tha Police’ during slain officer’s funeral

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There was no collision with Russia

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FINISH HIMS OFF

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've barely kept up with this story, how come everyone is praising this cop and playing platitudes?

Is it because she's black and female? It is isn't it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nothing arouses American sympathies more than being both black and female.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

'“This is the s–t we face every day,” a police source griped.'

Someone disrespected a public event with music, those goddamn bastards. I swear, a week of this will turn any man cold.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GalacticAcid posted:

Nothing arouses American sympathies more than being both black and female.

theres a michelle obama joke here

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've barely kept up with this story, how come everyone is praising this cop and playing platitudes?

Is it because she's black and female? It is isn't it

there's some of that, but honestly it's just the typical (white) liberal obsession with decorum and respect for institutions regardless of how massively corrupt oppressors they are. very few black people would condemn this kid. i passed this article around to friends and family and no one outright condemned the kid

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So even in deep red states the majority of people are economically left of center.

social/cultural issues > economics for both party's voters

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
more interesting data:

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/reports/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

Trump's primary voters aren't so much attracted to anti-establishment Trump as they are to protecting social security/medicare and keeping the browns out

Poor Trump voters love government programs like medicare, social security and at least some think income inequality is a major issue.....but don't want the government (??????) to do anything about it (???)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

the country is left of center economically but this gets overshadowed by racism guns gays god

Even cartoon plutocrat Romney won socially conservative but economically liberal voters by 2:1 over Obama

Typo has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Jul 12, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Typo posted:

Poor Trump voters love government programs like medicare, social security and at least some think income inequality is a major issue.....but don't want the government (??????) to do anything about it (???)

While the Hillary voters are generally closely bunched regardless of income, it's interesting how higher income Hillary voters tend to be a bit better on social issues but a bit worse on economic ones. I mean it's not surprising at all, but interesting to see it made explicit. I imagine you would see those gaps increase even further if you got into how much people feel should be done about issues like income inequality (because it's one thing to say "yeah it's a big problem" and another entirely to say "yeah I think taxes on the rich should be drastically hiked up to help deal with it").

edit: In general many liberals are willing to acknowledge problems but unwilling to make any significant material sacrifices to help solve them, and this is especially true for wealthier (and thus more influential) liberals.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Jul 12, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

Trump's primary voters aren't so much attracted to anti-establishment Trump as they are to protecting social security/medicare and keeping the browns out

I think this sort of ""makes sense"" in the context of Trump actually having said these things (as in we're going to have better healthcare/we will have more jobs) at one point or another during the campaign (the sincerity and duplicity aside).

You wouldn't vote for the rest of the establishment Republicans because those guys actually want to gut Medicare/Medicare and Social Security. They say it needs to be done because it's going to help, but as someone who currently benefits from it, you might not want to take them at their word.

This would also seem to coincide with the Democracy for Realists's look at politics in that these people realize the kind of change that they want, but the identity of being a Republican is still stronger, so they choose the Republican that's (in their mind) has the highest chance of delivering what they think they want ... but it still has to be a Republican that does it, because that's who they are.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

You wouldn't vote for the rest of the establishment Republicans because those guys actually want to gut Medicare/Medicare and Social Security. They say it needs to be done because it's going to help, but as someone who currently benefits from it, you might not want to take them at their word.
The establishment dems do this too

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
the study is interesting but keep in mind that, at least in these published findings, it does nothing to account for 1) 2012 voters Who didn't vote in 2016; 2) first time voters in 2016; 3) views on foreign policy decisions

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

The establishment dems do this too

I get that, and that's why Bernie was a thing in 2016, and why "I'm going to hold my nose" was a phrase that was thrown around a lot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I held my nose and voted Hillary Clinton and straight ticket Democrat

It got me jack poo poo

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I held my nose and voted Hillary Clinton and straight ticket Democrat

It got me jack poo poo

You should have clapped...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the thing is that voters end up deciding who to vote for on social issues because very rarely do the two parties seriously diverge on economic issues

it's also naive to think that racial animuses and clinging to guns and religion aren't exacerbated and brought to the forefront of peoples' minds by bad economic times, or that economically-liberal-socially-conservative voters haven't been courted and manipulated by the right to vote only on social issues for decades, with no real comparable attempt by democrats to get them to vote only on their economic interest.

by the way the couple of times in recent memory that a presidential candidate promised better economic outcomes (obama in 2008 on healthcare, trump in 2016 on JOBS) they ended up winning.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Jul 12, 2017

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
racists are not going to magically develop empathy for minorities, the inhabitants of the trump thread who lust for rural death are not going to magically develop empathy for rednecks, there is no path forwards but solidarity with people for whom you do not empathize

that's what it means to abandon identity politics in favor of something universal

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

It sounds like he was lying about his friends being killed by cops.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah not only did he make that poo poo up, he plainly didn't know that the person they were having a funeral over was a black lady assassinated in her car.

Honestly, 'gently caress the police' is really childish to do in this situation: having more minority officers is kinda necessary if you want to actually reform the police force so that it treats minorities better, so celebrating one that gets killed is incredibly tone deaf.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

deadgoon posted:

racists are not going to magically develop empathy for minorities, the inhabitants of the trump thread who lust for rural death are not going to magically develop empathy for rednecks, there is no path forwards but solidarity with people for whom you do not empathize

that's what it means to abandon identity politics in favor of something universal
But can solidarity exist without empathy? I tend to take the view that empathy is something that has to be worked at and built over time, so I can get behind unified-action-precedes-class-consciousness and so on, but if empathy isn't built or attempted to be built, the coalition you're building will break at the critical moment.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

Even cartoon plutocrat Romney won socially conservative but economically liberal voters by 2:1 over Obama

It's natural that the social dimensions of the race would take on greater importance, considering Hillary's economic agenda was non-existent as far as her campaigning was concerned.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

Honestly, 'gently caress the police' is really childish to do in this situation: having more minority officers is kinda necessary if you want to actually reform the police force so that it treats minorities better, so celebrating one that gets killed is incredibly tone deaf.

At least my oppressor looks like me. Hey, maybe I can oppress too someday.

it's a pretty complex subject and I don't have a good grasp of all facets of it; ethnicity diversification sounds important, but that alone probably won't be enough

Pretty hosed up when the president is tone deaf, too, but I forget where the suck zone stands on decorum.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the democrats are going to be roughly aligned with the republicans economically as long as they are being supported by corporate patronage

social issues are the only thing they have to meaningfully differentiate themselves

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

At least my oppressor looks like me. Hey, maybe I can oppress too someday.

it's a pretty complex subject and I don't have a good grasp of all facets of it; ethnicity diversification sounds important, but that alone probably won't be enough

Pretty hosed up when the president is tone deaf, too, but I forget where the suck zone stands on decorum.

Every civil society requires a police force. Absent basic protection, nothing else works. Naturally, said force is going to be encultured with the ruling ideology and supportive of the ruling class, but that's just how societies & ideology work.

I suspect a lot of the 'gently caress the police' is just a carry over from activist work, who are of course going to have negative interactions, and hold a lot of resentment for that. But even after any social transformation, the requirement of public order is still going to hold - the day after the revolution, the police are still going to exist.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

Every civil society requires a police force. Absent basic protection, nothing else works. Naturally, said force is going to be encultured with the ruling ideology and supportive of the ruling class, but that's just how societies & ideology work.

I suspect a lot of the 'gently caress the police' is just a carry over from activist work, who are of course going to have negative interactions, and hold a lot of resentment for that. But even after any social transformation, the requirement of public order is still going to hold - the day after the revolution, the police are still going to exist.

Regarding frozen pizzas: supreme is a mistake. Moisture released from the vegetables during baking disrupts maillard reactions. This holds for other veg heavy configurations.

Top chefs recommend purchasing meat only frozen pizzas and separate vegetables. Add the veg raw, or sauteed, at the end. Optionally, then add more cheese and cook for a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:tinsley:

• Locked thread