Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did you recently watch Okja but think it was too happy and bonkers and want something more down-to-earth and soul-crushing from the same director? Maybe you want to see Memories of Murder, Bong Joon Ho's serial killer movie inspired by South Korea's first public serial killer panic in the 80's!

Instead of showing you a trailer here's an analysis video by Every Frame a Painting talking about how good the blocking is in this movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4seDVfgwOg

Full movie is on Youtube (officially by Viewster)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tw66BBdDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
what if i thought it wasn't bonkers enough and was ambivalent on the question of happy

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After dismissing the Master of None hype I finally gave in and started watching it (I am 8 episodes in of season 1). In my mind I thought the show would be 30 minutes of Tom Haverford. While I liked the character Tom (Aziz Ansari) on Parks & Rec, watching a show with Tom as the main character didn't sound appealing to me at all. Instead the show and his character Dev are just amazing. The whole show just feels fresh and original. It might be favorite active comedy (I would of said Love or Silicon Valley before I watched this).

Also anyone watching Crazy Ex Girlfriend? Season 1 overall felt like a labor to watch, but I also the saw brilliance of the show at times. How is season 2? I am not sure if I can handle another season of Josh lust and scheming. I know that is the basis of the show, but I just never bought them as a couple and in the end it is just annoying.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

After dismissing the Master of None hype I finally gave in and started watching it (I am 8 episodes in of season 1). In my mind I thought the show would be 30 minutes of Tom Haverford. While I liked the character Tom (Aziz Ansari) on Parks & Rec, watching a show with Tom as the main character didn't sound appealing to me at all. Instead the show and his character Dev are just amazing. The whole show just feels fresh and original. It might be favorite active comedy (I would of said Love or Silicon Valley before I watched this).

It's great and season 2 is better than 1. Too bad Aziz is pretty much done with the show, at least for a long time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Also anyone watching Crazy Ex Girlfriend? Season 1 overall felt like a labor to watch, but I also the saw brilliance of the show at times. How is season 2? I am not sure if I can handle another season of Josh lust and scheming. I know that is the basis of the show, but I just never bought them as a couple and in the end it is just annoying.

Season 2 is fantastic, I liked it better than season 1 though I don't know if that's the general consensus.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The second season was better, but that show is still too drama geeky for me. I already live in LA so I have to deal with these spazzes in real life

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
CExG is my favorite show on TV right now but I'm also a douche who loved Hamilton and, for a while, Glee. IMO it's hilarious (though cringey) at times.

I think most fans are in agreement that Josh sucks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what if i thought it wasn't bonkers enough and was ambivalent on the question of happy

You should watch Memories of Murder anyways

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Drunk Tomato posted:

CExG is my favorite show on TV right now but I'm also a douche who loved Hamilton and, for a while, Glee. IMO it's hilarious (though cringey) at times.

I think most fans are in agreement that Josh sucks.

At least in the second season, the show starts actively going along with the Josh-hate for a majority of the season. I thought the second season was good, but took a bit of a dip in the last 3rd or so, and i was bummed when the best character Greg leaves the show, but's kind of fitting since he was getting his life together. It was like he was escaping the toxic nature of all the other characters when a major theme of a lot of season 2 is how toxic all the major characters can be.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWB-MVJ4sQ

So how many more of these does Neill Blomkamp have planned...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

RedSpider posted:

I think one in Volume One; he's apparently still working through a lot of the backend financial deals based on an article I skimmed.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bad Santa 2 is delightful

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RedSpider posted:

I just watched all of them I think, and this is the best one. God is kind of funny. The other two are a little meandering but have interesting moments.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

RedSpider posted:

Best one yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
David Lynch: The Art Life is on Prime.

I watched it last night. As long as you go in knowing that you are seeing a documentary on David Lynch living The Art Life (by his definition, the art life is drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and painting), it's a pretty interesting watch on how his art turned out the way it did.

The most fascinating part, to me, was the brief moments of humanity that shined through the facade he's constructed. He talks about The Art Life being the most important thing in his life and the thing that makes him the happiest but through like the hour of footage they have of him working, you never see him smile or enjoying the process. Any of the archive footage from his mid-teens to now is the same.

But you see his toddler daughter wandering around and him trying to entertain her. You feel the emotion boil up when he talked about walking out of a Bob Dylan concert. You can hear him play revisionist history with loving up the first roll of film he tried to shoot. You can see him, cursing under his breath, attempting to mount bent up wire on his painting or drive around town. There's a human being under the character of David Lynch but he isn't letting you see it.

(Although even him trying to entertain his daughter feels like an act. Him behaving the way he thinks a father should behave. Which is an overarching theme throughout the documentary. Him feeling like he has to play a certain role in certain situations and him living, in his mind, a double or triple life)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

David Lynch: The Art Life is on Prime.

I watched it last night. As long as you go in knowing that you are seeing a documentary on David Lynch living The Art Life (by his definition, the art life is drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and painting), it's a pretty interesting watch on how his art turned out the way it did.

The most fascinating part, to me, was the brief moments of humanity that shined through the facade he's constructed. He talks about The Art Life being the most important thing in his life and the thing that makes him the happiest but through like the hour of footage they have of him working, you never see him smile or enjoying the process. Any of the archive footage from his mid-teens to now is the same.

But you see his toddler daughter wandering around and him trying to entertain her. You feel the emotion boil up when he talked about walking out of a Bob Dylan concert. You can hear him play revisionist history with loving up the first roll of film he tried to shoot. You can see him, cursing under his breath, attempting to mount bent up wire on his painting or drive around town. There's a human being under the character of David Lynch but he isn't letting you see it.

(Although even him trying to entertain his daughter feels like an act. Him behaving the way he thinks a father should behave. Which is an overarching theme throughout the documentary. Him feeling like he has to play a certain role in certain situations and him living, in his mind, a double or triple life)

It's an excellent documentary.

The story of the nude woman appearing from the field and the story that he refuses to continue to tell because it's emotionally overwhelming were great moments.

I paint and write all the time, and I'm not smiling. It's an internal joy and feeling of satisfaction.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Franchescanado posted:

I paint and write all the time, and I'm not smiling. It's an internal joy and feeling of satisfaction.

It just felt like a deliberate decision to exclusively show him toiling away on his art. The same way that, for most of the documentary, you never see Lynch's mouth as he's talks. It's obscured by the mic guard or he's talking over footage of him smoking/sitting or being filmed through the rear view mirror as he drives.

By avoiding those moments, The Art Life almost comes across as a compulsion more than a true joy. Which is an interesting contrast to the romanticized way Lynch talks about it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 13, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

It just felt like a deliberate decision to exclusively show him toiling away on his art. The same way that, for most of the documentary, you never see Lynch's mouth as he's talks. It's obscured by the mic guard or he's talking over footage of him smoking/sitting or being filmed through the rear view mirror as he drives.

By avoiding those moments, The Art Life almost comes across as a compulsion more than a true joy. Which is an interesting contrast to the romanticized way Lynch talks about it.

Definitely. It showed more of the labor side, and how much work he puts into it, spending hours sanding the wood, etc. And yeah, there was always a fun use of blocking that showed this is only a fragment of Lynch, we'll never get the whole. I'm sure if we added it up, about a 1/3rd of the movie is the shot of him behind the microphone and the smoke, surrounded by darkness.

There's an excellent video lost on YouTube called something like "David Lynch Makes A Painting", and it's a wood panel painting with a lightbulb painted red that flashes on occasionally. It follows him through the whole process. The majority of the video is him saying/yelling "gently caress" or "God drat IT" or yelling at his assistant for help, and talking about his favorite white shirt to paint in. I wish the documentary had shown that side, though it would have killed the tone.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Oh, absolutely. It reminded me of the film The Thing.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Going to rerecommend The Wraith on Netflix. It's nuts in the best way.

I just watched this, and it was kind of amazing. The antagonist gang members are all screw-ups and kind of incompetent. And the ending raises so many questions. Was the main character no longer dead? Or is this a "ghost" situation where a dead guy has a relationship with a living girl? And why does a ghost have a supercar anyway? I was enthralled.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

DorianGravy posted:

And why does a ghost have a supercar anyway?

I think the best answer was it was the 1980s. Movies and TV seemed to be about memorable vehicles whether it was a cars, trucks or helicopters.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that his cosmic ghostcar was still a Chrysler. Like it's made of the ether and ectoplasm in a factory in Detroit.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I remember renting The Wraith as a kid. May have been one of the first boobies on VHS experiences I had. I won't hear a bad word about it.

Related to my very high standards for flicks, I am excited that Talladega Nights is streaming on Netflix. Growing up in Tennessee, surrounded by people super into NASCAR culture yet not understanding it myself, I feel that Talladega Nights was written just for me.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 14, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pumped up for school posted:

I remember renting The Wraith as a kid. May have been one of the first boobies on VHS experiences I had. I won't hear a bad word about it.

Related to my very high standards for flicks, I am excited that Talladega Nights is streaming on Hulu. Growing up in Tennessee, surrounded by people super into NASCAR culture yet not understanding it myself, I feel that Talladega Nights was written just for me.

It's a movie that is embraced by people who love NASCAR and dislike NASCAR. It only alienates those who dislike Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's comedy. Even then, it manages to include more physical and situational humor than just verbal/improv comedy.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

It's a movie that is embraced by people who love NASCAR and dislike NASCAR. It only alienates those who dislike Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's comedy. Even then, it manages to include more physical and situational humor than just verbal/improv comedy.

Didn't mean to imply I've not seen it. One of those flicks that I can't not watch if I see it is playing. A mashup of its first half and Stebrothers' first half would win the Academy Award for Best Movie Ever Made.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pumped up for school posted:

Didn't mean to imply I've not seen it. One of those flicks that I can't not watch if I see it is playing. A mashup of its first half and Stebrothers' first half would win the Academy Award for Best Movie Ever Made.

Didn't meant to imply it as well, just adding to the discussion, bud.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

The supporting cast is really solid. I was going to start listing them but there's too many. loving Andy Richter is in this movie. It was also a movie that made me really appreciate Gary Cole's comedic range.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
A complete different show you can watch because I found it acidantly but It is really not wasted time to watch it.

Barbarians Rising

A high quality production for a documantatios (fore sure I have seen much more cheap and bad looking documentations), sadly on air, only four episodes they have inside the rise and fall of Rome. It' s a bit sad because 700 years of ruleing to press in 4 episodes is a shame and highlites only markpoints from that history. (Sadly If you think about what they could do with 16 or more episodes to have).

If you are interested for the Empire Romanum, the centurys and history with the rise and fall of the empire and the battles aginst their greatest enemys, you should give this series a change (It only 4 Episodes bad if you like it but enouth to take notice).

The series is told from the view of leaders of barbarians they fight against the Roman Empire.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Bad Santa 2 is delightful

Sucks that Christina Hendricks doesn't get naked :(

Yeah but it's a good movie.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Bored As gently caress posted:

Sucks that Christina Hendricks doesn't get naked :(

Yeah but it's a good movie.

It dose not come close to the first part for me. But I like him to see in his new lawyer show. David against Goliath or in this kind drat lost the name of the show... Sorry have to go to sleep ggg

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

XenJ posted:

It dose not come close to the first part for me. But I like him to see in his new lawyer show. David against Goliath or in this kind drat lost the name of the show... Sorry have to go to sleep ggg

Gg

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Goliath has one of the best opening plot hooks I've ever seen. It gets a little skeevy about 2/3 of the way through but the principals have enough charisma (or the opposite) to keep it interesting to the end. It's a great way to scratch your legal thriller itch.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 15, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

To The Bone on Netflix. Amazingly good, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's about a girl with Annorexia that goes to a inpatient house run by Dr. Keanu Reeves. I suggest you go watch it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Franchescanado posted:

FINE. I WILL.

Thank you.

It also recommended me "Demented Death Farm Massacre" and "Croaked: Frog Monster From Hell"
I'd really like to see the Sam Elliot movie Frogs up at one point, because it is very notable for how goddamn gorgeous he was when he was younger (Kristofferson eat your heart out) and because there are no frogs that actually menace or negatively affect any humans in any way, so it's kind of like Troll 2 in that regard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

Goliath has one of the best opening plot hooks I've ever seen. It gets a little skeevy about 2/3 of the way through but the principals have enough charisma (or the opposite) to keep it interesting to the end. It's a great way to scratch your legal thriller itch.

I'm on episode 4 and I really like it, Billy Bob is amazing in it. I'd rank it as Chance > Goliath > Bosch in the "old dudes in modern noir thriller" genre.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If anyone's into hate-watching, the show Friends From College on Netflix is impressively disgusting. It's like a focus group crafted the most despicable group of people possible, thought up ways for them to ruin each others' lives, and then realized they were supposed to be writing about friends so they just added some jokes.

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 16, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

precision posted:

I'm on episode 4 and I really like it, Billy Bob is amazing in it. I'd rank it as Chance > Goliath > Bosch in the "old dudes in modern noir thriller" genre.

If you like old dudes + modern noir, and you like long takes, watch Too Late. It stars John Hawkes and the whole movie is shot in 3 or 4 takes. I think it's on Netflix but I may have seen it on Prime. It's a gem.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Hans posted:

If you like old dudes + modern noir, and you like long takes, watch Too Late. It stars John Hawkes and the whole movie is shot in 3 or 4 takes. I think it's on Netflix but I may have seen it on Prime. It's a gem.

Oh nice. I was always super impressed by Time Code and how completely batshit they had to work to film four different narratives that were all single shots in real time and have them intersect with each other.

quote:

The movie was shot with four hand-held digital cameras, in one take, on the sixteenth performance. Largely improvised, Figgis provided the actors with blank, four-staff music manuscript paper, with each octave representing a camera view at that particular moment in time, up to the 93 minutes of camera capacity. The actors themselves personally kept track of the activities occurring in other camera points of view that were relative to their performance.

Rehearsals were single-take performances, filmed over fifteen days. Filmed in the mornings, with the actors fully involved, the footage was reviewed and discussed in the afternoons. Four separate monitors replayed each camera point of view simultaneousl

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

You should watch Memories of Murder anyways

Yeah. And even though I really like Zodiac, after watching MoM I feel like a lot of it got cribbed by Zodiac.

Also, Goliath is the most Billy Bob thing ever. It felt a little over the top to me several episodes in but I should probably just finish it. I think the William Hurt character, with all his tics, felt too gimmicky to me and I got annoyed, but I do enjoy Billy Bob doing his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You should watch the second episode of the new MST3K, AT LEAST!