Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Seymour Butts posted:

Jesus Christ, are you swinging the thing with one arm?

I barely half swing it, but I am working through my issues with turning my body to swing. I can put it another 50 to 75 yards with a good swing. It just won't be on the fairway I'm aiming at. I've taken to really shortening what I do and am slowly extending more and more in the hopes of eventually fixing it.

Of course, if this interview goes well, I'll just get lessons. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seymour Butts posted:

Jesus Christ, are you swinging the thing with one arm?

I assumed he meant 275

Edit: I guess not! How far do you hit a 5 iron?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

daslog posted:

I assumed he meant 275

Edit: I guess not! How far do you hit a 5 iron?

130 to 140. I am currently breaking myself of the habit of just arm swinging. Like I said, I need lessons. :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"Phil Mickelson has been selected to redesign an 18-hole golf course in Bali that will become Trump International Golf Club"

I've always been ambivalent about Phil, but now he's a confirmed piece of poo poo.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
98% of PGA players are full Freep-Teabaggers. :freep: :tinfoil:

hell, over half the LPGA too.

75% of WRX (more EuroCommies) and 90% of THP are too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I too am shocked that rich white males are Trump supporters.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Shot an 80, so close to so much better. Lipped out a 5 foot sandy putt, but the big thing was on the tee box on 10, nice, smooth swing with my 7 iron, head goes 30 yards into the brush, ball goes 40 yards dead right into water. Couldn't find the head, double bogey the hole, and have to hit 6 iron on two of the three par threes where I normally hit 7.

Never had an iron head snap off before. Now to find a replacement, which won't be easy, since Cleveland doesn't make irons anymore.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

Shot an 80, so close to so much better. Lipped out a 5 foot sandy putt, but the big thing was on the tee box on 10, nice, smooth swing with my 7 iron, head goes 30 yards into the brush, ball goes 40 yards dead right into water. Couldn't find the head, double bogey the hole, and have to hit 6 iron on two of the three par threes where I normally hit 7.

Never had an iron head snap off before. Now to find a replacement, which won't be easy, since Cleveland doesn't make irons anymore.

Cleveland will be releasing a full line of clubs later this year. When I get my set in a month I'll post pics if I'm allowed.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

Cleveland will be releasing a full line of clubs later this year. When I get my set in a month I'll post pics if I'm allowed.

I thought Cleveland was just doing wedges/putters and they are branding all their woods/irons as Srixon?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DoctaFun posted:

I thought Cleveland was just doing wedges/putters and they are branding all their woods/irons as Srixon?

The dude that runs THP has been real cagey with details but it really seems like it'll be all Cleveland. They won't have Cleveland balls though so I'm getting Srixons.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Sataere posted:

I've taken to really shortening what I do and am slowly extending more and more in the hopes of eventually fixing it.

Okay so I think your plan of getting lessons is a good one, and while obviously giving swing advice over a comedy internet forum is a very slippery slope I do have a suggestion that I think you ought to try.

Rather than "shortening" your swing (which I don't think has much longterm upside), I think you should focus on making a good full swing, but with tempo in mind. There are in general three main issues to consider If you're hitting it onto adjacent fairways on your full swings:

1) swing plane
2) face angle
3) tempo

In my view, tempo is the one to work on first, because from there the other two can begin to fall into place (with practice / lessons / experience). So next session, think about making full swings with a steady, controllable tempo. You might be surprised how far you can hit the ball effortlessly! See how you go :waycool:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Homestar Runner posted:

Okay so I think your plan of getting lessons is a good one, and while obviously giving swing advice over a comedy internet forum is a very slippery slope I do have a suggestion that I think you ought to try.

Rather than "shortening" your swing (which I don't think has much longterm upside), I think you should focus on making a good full swing, but with tempo in mind. There are in general three main issues to consider If you're hitting it onto adjacent fairways on your full swings:

1) swing plane
2) face angle
3) tempo

In my view, tempo is the one to work on first, because from there the other two can begin to fall into place (with practice / lessons / experience). So next session, think about making full swings with a steady, controllable tempo. You might be surprised how far you can hit the ball effortlessly! See how you go :waycool:

I appreciate any advice I can get. Actually, tempo is as big an issue for me. My league partner tells me I have a hitch when I come out of my backswing, which I am sure is the root of my issues. I'm basically sapping myself of club speed. I've taken to working on an easy singular motion, but to no avail.

Got my interview for next week, so hopefully lessons won't be too far off.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Heat index is 110. :negative:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Heat index here is pretty close to that. 104 heat index right now, and it's cooled off since we stepped off 18th green 90 minutes ago.

If I putt well on punched/sanded greens, does that make me a good putter or a trash putter? Closing birdie on 18 to shoot even par sure feels good, fam. 13 GIR, 31 putts. 3 bogeys (one of which was a 3 putt) and 3 birdies. Driver continues to be unforgiving, but I missed in okay spots today.

The pins were in some BS positions, though. If there was a ridge, the pin was on it. Single mound in the green? Even better. All considered, even my 2 putts were pretty good. Supe must have had to sleep on the couch last night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh, this is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOtfaRmthw

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Lumping him in with Danny Willet, that's harsh!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Lumping him in with Danny Willet, that's harsh!
I mean, they both have 1 major so obviously

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
He probably wears it all the time, I sure would.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, they both have 1 major so obviously

🎶🎵for nooooooow, for nooooooow, but only for now!🎵🎶

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I just picked up a couple boxes of Wilson Staff 50 Elite balls, hoping to straighten things out a bit, especially off the tee. I haven't played them yet, but as I read about them online, a lot of people say they look forward to playing them in colder weather. Our summer temps are in the 90s & 100s. Should I avoid playing a super-low-compression ball in really hot weather?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Low compression is good for people who can't normally compress the ball, or for people who struggle to compress the ball in colder weather (it's colder outside, people are stiffer, bundled up, etc.). They're popular with lower speed players and seniors year round.

A playing partner Friday was talking about switching from pro v1's to 50/Elites, but he has no business playing a pro v1 in the first place, and he seemed satisfied with the way the 50/Elites reacted around the greens.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I really need to get some lessons, anything specific to look for when finding an instructor?

Went to the range today and hot about 100 balls. I finally found some consistency with my 9 and 7 iron, but anything higher was a slice fest. My opinion I'm trying to swing to fast/hard and I'm pulling out. Anyways, fun but challenging game!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had a good round yesterday. Amazing what you can score when you hit fairways and greens!

Left 3 or 4 birdie putts just short and totally hosed an eagle putt on a par 5. Always fun 3 putting for par lol. Ended the day with a spectacular sand shot from about 65 yards out and left it 3 feet to the right of the pin and sunk the birdie. Always fun to finish that way!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

In my golf league, guy I'm playing has a career day, which is the only thing that kept him competitive, because I shot a 45 with an 18 handicap for a net 27. :smug:

That was with an 8 in the middle too. My gap wedge was a loving laser. Anywhere from 20 to 50 yards out, five feet or less from the pin on half the holes.

It's nice when you see range work paying dividends.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Got my new Cobra Max driver in the mail a couple hours ago & immediately went to the range. Man those balls flew straight. Still had a tendency to push to the right a bit, but not near as much as usual. Bona-fide slices disappeared almost completely. Virtually all mis-hits were due to me swinging too fast; very tough instinct to defeat, especially with a driver. Distance was great, albeit difficult to judge using range balls. Got the 10.5* regular flex.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I love my cobra max 3 wood, that thing is the lightest club I've ever take a swing with. Beautiful sound too when you hit it flush.

In terms of new clubs, I just won a brand new set of Mizuno jpx ez forged irons for $300 on eBay. I love how last year's club models are already more than half price off. I almost went for the 850s but I still probably need a little more forgiveness than what they offer.

They look so pretty though... :sigh:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah I got a set of Mizuno 850 irons & hybrids this spring to replace my Babby's First Golf Clubs. I like em.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm looking at a fitting and then buying the new Ping irons. Should be available on 1 Aug.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I had a double eagle tonight! Par 5 fifth hole at my home course is a downhill tee shot and then it turns to the right with a slightly uphill approach to the green. I hit a nice draw down to the bottom corner of the fairway and had 185 to the pin. Everything around the green kicks hard to the left towards a big bunker and going long is very thick rough and leaves a chip with the green running away from you. I hit an 8 iron that landed just short and right of the green, bounced on, and curled around into the hole.

I still haven't had an ace but holing an uphill 8 iron from 185 feels pretty sweet and I didn't have to buy everyone drinks so that's a plus too!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Has anyone every used one of those swing analyzers that connect to your phone or tablet? I've been strongly considering one since I feel like I can figure out some drills and improve my game based on the numbers it can provide. I'm leaning towards the swingtalk, since it seems to have got good reviews and I like that it just sticks in to the butt end of any club. The problem is you can't buy it from a brick and mortar store, so I just haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone have any experience with it or with one of the other ones, namely Zepp Golf?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I have a Swingbyte 2 but don't use it. Doesn't seem to be accurate enough to be that useful, at least when it comes to path/face/plane/etc. It just has a line on it that is supposed to align it but having it twist even a tiny bit totally throws the numbers off, and even if you think you have it lined up it's probably off by a couple degrees anyway.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seymour Butts posted:

Has anyone every used one of those swing analyzers that connect to your phone or tablet? I've been strongly considering one since I feel like I can figure out some drills and improve my game based on the numbers it can provide. I'm leaning towards the swingtalk, since it seems to have got good reviews and I like that it just sticks in to the butt end of any club. The problem is you can't buy it from a brick and mortar store, so I just haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone have any experience with it or with one of the other ones, namely Zepp Golf?

I've used Zepp and one other app. I stopped using them once I realized that I played better golf once I stopped thinking about the technical stuff. I play and practice by feel now, and I'm shooting a lot better.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I had a double eagle tonight!

You've done something most people will never do in life. That's loving awesome. Congratulations!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

double eagle

Uphill 185 8i. 😳😳😳

Congratulations man. That's awesome!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kameh posted:

Uphill 185 8i. 😳😳😳

Congratulations man. That's awesome!

Well my 7i from almost the same spot over the weekend went over the back :)

It's a very firm green so I play short and right of it usually and hope for a decent bounce. My 8i probably carried 160.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I'm investigating new irons. I'm taking a lot of time doing it and want to understand the club fitting numbers better so I can make an informed decision. Might eventually go to a club fitter but I want to be knowledgeable enough so I know if they are full of poo poo. I have more clubs to try but I tried these three out today on a GC2. I recorded these averages over a number of swings (10+) with each club. All of them are a 7 iron.

pre:
		Ball Speed	Lnch Ang	Back Spin 	Peak Height	Descent Ang	Loft
Ping iBlade 	101.0 		20.8		6081		25		44		34
Ping i200	101.9		20.5		6023		25		44		33
Miz JPX 900	106.1		17.2		5091		22		40		31
My understanding is I I'm a little low on backspin for a 7 iron; ideal would be more in the 7000 range? Based on the numbers above the two Pings are a wash and the JPX seems the worst performer for control. Is it realistic to search for a higher spinning 7 iron? Another factor I hadn't considered is how much shaft can play in this, if any.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Shafts will dictate a LOT about ball flight, like trajectory and how much they spin.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Your spin is lower because your club head speed is lower. See: LPGA players.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I came within an inch or two of another double eagle on the same hole in my league tonight lol. My drive cut the corner a bit more so I had 180 to the same pin, and my 8 iron landed just right of the green and rolled left, and ended up less than a foot below the hole. It couldn't have missed by much given the path it took and where it finished. I started laughing as soon as I hit the shot because it was absolutely pured and precisely where I was aiming. Ah well, tap in eagle. Ended up even par through nine because I couldn't sink a putt from outside of 3 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Well I saw those Wilson 50/Elite balls for like $13/dozen, so I gave them a shot.

First impressions were that they are a LOW flight ball, and though they weren't 4-piece urethane level spinny, they reacted well enough on saucy chips that I could play them on a windy day.

However, a friend convinced me to do this push-ups workout with him the day before, so I was super sore and tight, my miss was a thin, and I had to make a conscious effort to hit down on it to get the ball up, so maybe I'm just bad.