Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
WOW DRUG USE IS NOT OKAY LISTEN TO NANCY REAGAN

BANNED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh hey new page. This is awkward.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RillAkBea posted:

So herniated discs are pretty painful eh. None of the painkillers the doctor gave me are really working and they don't prescribe the fun feel good ones in this country.

Yep, I had to have surgery for it a few years back. Been great since. Where is yours herniated?

Ibuprofen and ice, and just take it easy. Lay down and bend you knees with feet flat on the floor if it's lower back (mine was L5-S1, this seemed to help).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ah yes, DARE, another ineffective waste of money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

I got an ironic t-shirt out of it.
It's cool by me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It has begun.

All the extended family have found out about the wedding and are acting like we're still close and want to attend.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Rhyno posted:

It has begun.

All the extended family have found out about the wedding and are acting like we're still close and want to attend.

Grrr drat family trying to attend my wedding! I hate when people are supportive!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Midniter posted:

Maybe try some ibuprofen or whatever pain pills they did give you, and some :420:?

If you are doing ibuprofen, just do 800mg at a time. Advils/generics are usually 200 per pill. I had some gum graft surgery a while back and the doc gave me some Norco 5s. Ate those like tic-tacs and they didn't do poo poo for the pain. 4x Advil at a time is all that would touch it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Grrr drat family trying to attend my wedding! I hate when people are supportive!

Yeah "supportive" my rear end. Bunch of distantly related people whom you haven't interacted with in a long time and are going to act offended that they weren't being considered for best man / maid of honor, let alone invited and just want to come for the free booze and food.

And they'll still show up anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Getting polishing/wax supplies is more expensive than I expected:

Drive thru car wash $5
Mothers clay bar $14
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound $10
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax $17
A bunch of microfiber cloths $15
Total $61

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

Seems like it's pretty drat effective at wasting money.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If you are doing ibuprofen, just do 800mg at a time. Advils/generics are usually 200 per pill. I had some gum graft surgery a while back and the doc gave me some Norco 5s. Ate those like tic-tacs and they didn't do poo poo for the pain. 4x Advil at a time is all that would touch it.

If you are taking 800mg of ibuprofen, make sure you have food in your stomach. I learned this the painful way.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

jamal posted:

Why would I be getting decent results on internet speed tests, but have pages just time out and not load? Did reset the modem/router, cleared browser cache. Could it be the browser or laptop causing this? It's old and borrowed (windows vista, current Firefox), but that doesn't really make sense to me. And it's just stuff like forums and Facebook. I've been watching Netflix and stuff via my phone and Chromecast no problem.

I have the same problems, I disabled all of the included Google Extensions (nothing extra, just what they send) in Chrome and it seems to have helped.
Maybe some luck with a private mode or something in firefox?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Locator posted:

Seems like it's pretty drat effective at wasting money.

If you are taking 800mg of ibuprofen, make sure you have food in your stomach. I learned this the painful way.

Oh poo poo, yeah definitely. Should have mentioned that. That much juice will gently caress you up. Shouldn't really pull down that dose for longer than a week, either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a weird question about the car-buying process for the CR-V my wife and I just bought.

When we were negotiating the price, they asked for the payoff amount on her current vehicle. It was past business hours for the credit union holding her loan, so we just looked up what Credit Karma said was owed, which they were fine with. I told them that it was more than what was actually owed, as a payment had just been drafted a day or two prior. They said this was fine and that whatever amount over the actual payoff they sent would be refunded back to us.

I don't know the whole story because I didn't hear the conversation, but apparently the dealership just called my wife to tell her that their payoff was in fact more than was owed, and that when we get the refund from the credit union (which has to be sent to us since the loan was in my wife's name), that we need to then sign it over to the dealer. Isn't this our money? It's additional equity that was not factored into the contract/paperwork we signed when we bought the vehicle.

I'm not a financial guru so I don't think I'm looking at this situation as clearly as I need to be. What's the protocol here?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Maybe try some ibuprofen or whatever pain pills they did give you, and some :420:?

I imagine that would be a bit tough to find in Japan though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Midniter posted:

No herbal remedies in Japan I'm afraid.

Larrymer posted:

Yep, I had to have surgery for it a few years back. Been great since. Where is yours herniated?

Somewhere in the neck, it didn't show up on x-ray and the doc didn't want to go the trouble of getting an MRI done as he was already satisfied with the evidence to treat me.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The doctor gave me some loxoprofen and some lyrica too but at the conservative doses they wrote me up for neither is really helping. Guess a little self medication can't hurt too much more than it already does though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

RillAkBea posted:

No herbal remedies in Japan I'm afraid.

Somewhere in the neck, it didn't show up on x-ray and the doc didn't want to go the trouble of getting an MRI done as he was already satisfied with the evidence to treat me.

The doctor gave me some loxoprofen and some lyrica too but at the conservative doses they wrote me up for neither is really helping. Guess a little self medication can't hurt too much more than it already does though.

I don't know what that other stuff will do combined with the Advil so obviously you'll probably want to let that cycle out of your system if you can. The 800mg dose of ibuprofen is prescription strength so while it's generally safe, don't overdo it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Larrymer posted:

Ibuprofen and ice, and just take it easy. Lay down and bend you knees with feet flat on the floor if it's lower back (mine was L5-S1, this seemed to help).

Wife's got an appointment with a surgeon to likely arrange surgery - L5 and one or two bordering discs. How'd yours go? Worked well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightbulb Out posted:

These are people I don't even consider family. Most I have not talked to in 8 years or more. Only one of them has even met my fiance. Another is my aunt who called adult protective services on my mother because she thought she could gain control of my grandmother's money.

Every single one of them can get hosed. Hilariously, it's all on my mom's side. My dad's side never cared about us much so there's no drama there at all.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What kind of car is was this?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

blk posted:

Civic sedan cabriolet

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Siochain posted:

Wife's got an appointment with a surgeon to likely arrange surgery - L5 and one or two bordering discs. How'd yours go? Worked well?

L5-S1 is the most common because it's where you transition from larger discs to the smaller ones I believe. I injured it back in college playing sports and dealt with it for about 7 years before I couldn't sit/stand/lay comfortably. Had sciatic nerve pain from it being pinched and pain down my right leg. My procedure was a laminectomy/microdiscectomy and I was told I'd be good after the surgery but maybe later in life my other discs in the area would compress/bulge since they're shouldering more load now, and they naturally compress anyway as you age. I have about a 2" scar on my lower back from it, which obviously I can't see and isn't really a big deal to me.

It's been almost 5 years now (I'm 32) and I've been pain free and only had a flare up or two since the surgery with no nerve pain. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

blk posted:

It's only half a car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't know what that other stuff will do combined with the Advil so obviously you'll probably want to let that cycle out of your system if you can. The 800mg dose of ibuprofen is prescription strength so while it's generally safe, don't overdo it.

You can also stack ibuprofen and acitomitaphin (Tylenol - I probably have the chemical spelling wrong). I had a doc tell me to take them alternating every two hours to prevent the up/down cycle of every four hours.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Larrymer posted:

L5-S1 is the most common because it's where you transition from larger discs to the smaller ones I believe. I injured it back in college playing sports and dealt with it for about 7 years before I couldn't sit/stand/lay comfortably. Had sciatic nerve pain from it being pinched and pain down my right leg. My procedure was a laminectomy/microdiscectomy and I was told I'd be good after the surgery but maybe later in life my other discs in the area would compress/bulge since they're shouldering more load now, and they naturally compress anyway as you age. I have about a 2" scar on my lower back from it, which obviously I can't see and isn't really a big deal to me.

It's been almost 5 years now (I'm 32) and I've been pain free and only had a flare up or two since the surgery with no nerve pain. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Awesome, thanks. I believe that might be hers as well. Not sure when it was herniated, but it went from "bearable with occasional flareups" to "solid pain all the time" around Canadian Thanksgiving. Took forever to get in to a doctor, then to get MRI's, then blah blah. She's 30 now, so hopefully it can get her a few good decades before anything else flares up. Thanks for that, happy to hear what some other peoples experiences have been!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Locator posted:

You can also stack ibuprofen and acitomitaphin (Tylenol - I probably have the chemical spelling wrong). I had a doc tell me to take them alternating every two hours to prevent the up/down cycle of every four hours.

Note: This is hard on your liver.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Weed in Japan, lol good luck with that :v:

[e] best bet with back pain in that situation is yoga and/or physical therapy to help manage the pain. Also over time you actually get used to the pain and tolerate it much better.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 12, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Siochain posted:

Awesome, thanks. I believe that might be hers as well. Not sure when it was herniated, but it went from "bearable with occasional flareups" to "solid pain all the time" around Canadian Thanksgiving. Took forever to get in to a doctor, then to get MRI's, then blah blah. She's 30 now, so hopefully it can get her a few good decades before anything else flares up. Thanks for that, happy to hear what some other peoples experiences have been!

No problem. There are a lot of hoops I had to jump through with insurance here too, pretty annoying when you're in pain.

I didn't mention much about recovery. I was off work for 6 weeks but could have probably come back sooner, some go back right away. I wore a back brace to keep it straight (but the pain/stitches would let you know if you weren't upright, haha) for that time and also so people know not to come jump at you or pick you up (friends, if I had them :v:). Decent amount of pain pills but it was never that bad after the first couple days. Walking is encouraged afterward, but the first few days a 1/4 mile (with a walker, mind you) would leave me shaking in a cold sweat, so go slow.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Re: apartment
http://imgur.com/a/xFF2n
I took a picture of the district building for a reason:
https://goo.gl/maps/4yTgoamhdDU2

and some more cars
http://imgur.com/a/RBo1Y

E: we backed out of the afore mentioned 500sq-m/5400sq-ft building. the cost to make it usable was in excess of finding buildings already finished and ready for work.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
that is severely interesting!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bajaha posted:

Yeah "supportive" my rear end. Bunch of distantly related people whom you haven't interacted with in a long time and are going to act offended that they weren't being considered for best man / maid of honor, let alone invited and just want to come for the free booze and food.

Pretty much this, when we got married my mother in law wanted to invite people my wife hadn't seen since she was in grade school. She laid down the law and set a rule that if she couldn't remember seeing or speaking to an extended family member within the last 5 years they didn't get an invite. Kept the guest list below 200, and it probably would have easily been over 300 otherwise - both of her parents are from very large families.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

beep-beep car is go posted:

Also note to not to take tylenol and drink. The warnings on the bottle should be strictly followed there.
Worth mentioning as ai seems to love booze.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, you'll turbofuck your liver.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Midniter posted:

I have a weird question about the car-buying process for the CR-V my wife and I just bought.

When we were negotiating the price, they asked for the payoff amount on her current vehicle. It was past business hours for the credit union holding her loan, so we just looked up what Credit Karma said was owed, which they were fine with. I told them that it was more than what was actually owed, as a payment had just been drafted a day or two prior. They said this was fine and that whatever amount over the actual payoff they sent would be refunded back to us.

I don't know the whole story because I didn't hear the conversation, but apparently the dealership just called my wife to tell her that their payoff was in fact more than was owed, and that when we get the refund from the credit union (which has to be sent to us since the loan was in my wife's name), that we need to then sign it over to the dealer. Isn't this our money? It's additional equity that was not factored into the contract/paperwork we signed when we bought the vehicle.

I'm not a financial guru so I don't think I'm looking at this situation as clearly as I need to be. What's the protocol here?

What do you mean by their payoff was more than owed? Do you mean they paid X number of dollars more than was actually still owed on the loan? For example $10,000 was outstanding and they paid $11,000? If that's the case and you obviously rolled the outstanding into the new loan just find out how much was rolled in. If they adjusted the new loan to reflect the lower amount of the balance pay out then it is their money. If your new loan reflects the amount they paid that it's your money.

Either way rolling outstanding car loans into new car loans is usually a terrible finacial decision.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

What do you mean by their payoff was more than owed? Do you mean they paid X number of dollars more than was actually still owed on the loan? For example $10,000 was outstanding and they paid $11,000? If that's the case and you obviously rolled the outstanding into the new loan just find out how much was rolled in. If they adjusted the new loan to reflect the lower amount of the balance pay out then it is their money. If your new loan reflects the amount they paid that it's your money.

Either way rolling outstanding car loans into new car loans is usually a terrible finacial decision.

Why is it a terrible financial decision? There was equity in the car, which was applied to the purchase price of the vehicle in addition to our down payment. We weren't underwater on it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, right.

You owned a CRV worth A.

Your immediate cost to pay off all the outstanding finace on it would be B.

A is larger than B, yes? So you're not upside down on the car.

You went to a dealer to buy a new car, which would cost C.

The dealer offered you a trade-in amount for your CRV, D.

Of D, there may be two components.

D1, the amount they will pay direct to the finance company, which should equal to B.

D2, the balance of their trade-in offer, which they should pay to you.

Is the dealer saying that because D1 was actually larger than B, you should return the difference to them, rather than it being part of D2? If you do, does it get deducted from C?

Has the dealer, in total, paid out the trade-in amount D that was agreed, against the new car price of C?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Don't let me derail the CR-V financing train, because that seems like a pretty important topic.

But I just wanted to share my elation that I finally got my AW11 to fit in my toy hauler.

To be safe I'm screwing 2x6's to the floor of the garage area to distribute the weight over the particle board floor, and I'm shoring the ramp door in the center with a steel pipe with tape wrapped around it in several spaces supported by three jack stands.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Ok, right.

You owned a CRV worth A.

Your immediate cost to pay off all the outstanding finace on it would be B.

A is larger than B, yes? So you're not upside down on the car.

You went to a dealer to buy a new car, which would cost C.

The dealer offered you a trade-in amount for your CRV, D.

Of D, there may be two components.

D1, the amount they will pay direct to the finance company, which should equal to B.

D2, the balance of their trade-in offer, which they should pay to you.

Is the dealer saying that because D1 was actually larger than B, you should return the difference to them, rather than it being part of D2? If you do, does it get deducted from C?

Has the dealer, in total, paid out the trade-in amount D that was agreed, against the new car price of C?
ive been staring at the same two lines of code today and lemme tell u this took me way too long to parse and follow

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Don't let me derail the CR-V financing train, because that seems like a pretty important topic.

But I just wanted to share my elation that I finally got my AW11 to fit in my toy hauler.

To be safe I'm screwing 2x6's to the floor of the garage area to distribute the weight over the particle board floor, and I'm shoring the ramp door in the center with a steel pipe with tape wrapped around it in several spaces supported by three jack stands.

holy gently caress dude i love it

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

It's not intended for long-term use. In my case it was for pretty severe pain from shingles and it turned out I was severely allergic to Vicodine (the cure was worse than the disease if you will), so the alternating Tylenol/Ibuprofen worked fine for the short period that I needed it, and I have had both an MD and a dentist (wisdom tooth removal) recommend it short-term when I did not want to use narcotics.

Also I don't drink, so the mixing with alcohol wasn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

U.K./Euro goons - Does anybody here know anything about or have experience of fiat twin-air engines?

Coming from a 3cyl 1l Toyota a 2cyl 0.9l turbo appeals to me... but should I consider cars with 70k miles already on them or am I looking for trouble with that?

• Locked thread