Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Logitech Logi is great. Adds bulk, but the keyboard is good and it's backlit. I've used mine a lot over the last year and it's been durable.

Does it come in sizes or is it just one keyboard fits all ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a really big fan of the Smart Keyboard. I haven't tried the Logitech one but I love my Smart Keyboard. It is very enjoyable to type on and does not add much bulk at all.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I'm a really big fan of the Smart Keyboard. I haven't tried the Logitech one but I love my Smart Keyboard. It is very enjoyable to type on and does not add much bulk at all.

It totally replaces my smart cover though right ? So I have to do with black cover ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've only used the Logi on my 12.9 and it's only good if you explicitly want a laptop thing at all times. It's too bulky and heavy to use folded over, and it's not at all easy to take on and off. The keys themselves are nice, though. I love the Smart Keyboard, on the other hand.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I found the smart keyboard on the 10.5 to be too small to comfortably type on so I returned it. YMMV

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Endless Mike”" post="“474260431”"]
I’ve only used the Logi on my 12.9 and it’s only good if you explicitly want a laptop thing at all times. It’s too bulky and heavy to use folded over, and it’s not at all easy to take on and off. The keys themselves are nice, though. I love the Smart Keyboard, on the other hand.
[/quote]

It does add bulk, but I got used to it with the cover folded back behind it. Also I have a silicon case that I use if I’m going somewhere where portability is more important than typing. The Logi keyboard makes an iPad more like a laptop, with is good and bad.

All the iPad keyboards let you use traditional MacOS keyboard shortcuts, which is cool.

[quote="“vrklgn”" post="“474256105”"]
Does it come in sizes or is it just one keyboard fits all ?
[/quote]

I think they came out with a 10.5 size immediately after that model was announced. I don’t think the 9.7 version works on the new one.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Endless Mike posted:

Why? The unencrypted backups don't contain any of the information you'd want encrypted. It's essentially just your texts and settings.

Unencrypted backups include app data, which can include 2FA token secrets: https://github.com/CaitSith2/ios-steamguard-extractor

In general you do not want that information stored unencrypted.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

vrklgn posted:

Real talk: I feel like I need an keyboard with this new iPad 10,5...

Smart Keyboard or any other (logitech?) variant ?

Don't buy the Smart Keyboard without giving it a drat good test run.

I have one on my work provided 12" and I'd describe it as garbage - it's a bad design that is awful to type on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Smart Keyboard kicks rear end

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

The Smart Keyboard kicks rear end

Yeah this. I dunno what that other dudes problem is.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah not trying to pile on this guy but gently caress his dumb rear end. I love my keyboard it's awesome.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Like, it's competitive with a decent laptop keyboard, or it's better than that godawful first/early Surface keyboard?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waaaaaay better than that Surface keyboard but no not as good as a laptop

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
IMO it's slightly worse than the first gen Surface Type cover and MUCH worse than the SP4 cover I use with my SP3 (which is itself worse than the cover that came with my work HP Surface knock off)

YMMV I guess but personally I wouldn't recommend buying one without trying it out first

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dissss posted:

IMO it's slightly worse than the first gen Surface Type cover and MUCH worse than the SP4 cover I use with my SP3 (which is itself worse than the cover that came with my work HP Surface knock off)

YMMV I guess but personally I wouldn't recommend buying one without trying it out first
I assumed he was talking about this atrocity.

I do agree giving it a try before buying, if possible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I assumed he was talking about this atrocity.

I do agree giving it a try before buying, if possible.

Yeah, didn't remember what it was called, but pretty sure that's it. I think the Surface Pro 2 got the first actually usable one? But they still sold some version of that for a bit longer, I think. Anyway, just curious whether it was like leaps and bounds above or just a really good tablet keyboard.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

I can see how the 10,5" would be kinda cramped to type on but I feel that it sure would beat typing straight on the screen + portability. Tested the keys in my local apple store actually quite nice keys, didn't really know what to expect. I just want to remove the friction to type larger stuffs in Bear/Awful/Slack etc.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

You could also carry around a separate one like the magic keyboard

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

Virtue posted:

You could also carry around a separate one like the magic keyboard

While I could try that as an initial step i feel instantly that it will become a huge barrier for jotting down things quick if it's not always paired

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
really happy with my smart keyboard i use it on a daily basis at work

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has anyone found an easy way to switch Bluetooth audio devices in iOS 11? I used to just pop up control center and choose my device but now I have to go all the way to settings to do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, didn't remember what it was called, but pretty sure that's it. I think the Surface Pro 2 got the first actually usable one? But they still sold some version of that for a bit longer, I think. Anyway, just curious whether it was like leaps and bounds above or just a really good tablet keyboard.

The Surface Touch Cover's keys had no travel at all from what I recall (or it was so small as to be irrelevant). The Smart Cover's keys have a definite bump as you hit them. It's obviously not *huge* but it's there and noticeable. Like I said, it's not as good as a normal laptop keyboard, but it is definitely leaps and bounds above what I remember of that thing. I'm not sure I'd want it as a true laptop replacement keyboard, but it's vastly better than trying to use the on-screen keyboard for any length of time.

I did notice it had some weirdness with GBoard on iOS 11 (I didn't notice it on iOS 10, but I could be wrong), so I just uninstalled GBoard since it kind of sucks on iPad, anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“vrklgn”" post="“474284614”"]
I can see how the 10,5” would be kinda cramped to type on but I feel that it sure would beat typing straight on the screen + portability. Tested the keys in my local apple store actually quite nice keys, didn’t really know what to expect. I just want to remove the friction to type larger stuffs in Bear/Awful/Slack etc.
[/quote]

It’s not that cramped. I prefer the Logi, but the Smart Cover is perfectly fine.

I guess it’s always possible the current generation of iPad buyers never used netbooks, but it feels much more spacious than those terrible keyboards.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
On the keyboard chat, I recently picked up a Smart Cover and have been surprised by just how much functionality it (or any hardware keyboard) adds. Beyond stuff like easier copying and pasting, I've found it most useful when running two apps side-by-side. I often take notes as I work and the software keyboard dominates the screen so much as to make the second app (which I'm usually trying to reference) a useless little box.

All I need now is a mouse and I'm set.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also alt tabbing is awesome.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are these beats headphones for the back to school promo good enough for me to bug apple about? I bought my new giant ipad about two weeks ago and could probably be sent a pair if I feel like bothering them

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't know if I'm going insane but my pencil seems like it's drawing a little offset from the tip now. Has anybody experienced this? I did try s new tip

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

hatty posted:

Are these beats headphones for the back to school promo good enough for me to bug apple about? I bought my new giant ipad about two weeks ago and could probably be sent a pair if I feel like bothering them

BeatsX are very good.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

hatty posted:

I actually really enjoy my BeatsX a lot, great pair of buds to keep on my neck !

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I'd say yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I recommend BeatsX at their cost, so I would certainly recommend them at free.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Okay cool, I guess I'll bother them later. Hopefully they fit in my tiny ears

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hatty posted:

Okay cool, I guess I'll bother them later. Hopefully they fit in my tiny ears

They come with a variety of rubber tip sizes going all the way down to "pretty dang small" so you'll probably be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The latest iOS 11 Beta re-adds swipe to close apps.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Disappointing Pie posted:

Has anyone found an easy way to switch Bluetooth audio devices in iOS 11? I used to just pop up control center and choose my device but now I have to go all the way to settings to do it.

Long-press the play controls in the control center and it'll give you the option to switch audio sources.

Endless Mike posted:

Thank christ.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

That's been insanely annoying. Thank you lord Tim.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Did you used to be able to drag apps onto other apps in the app switcher view in dev beta 2/public beta 1?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a goon recommend stylus for non-iPad Pros?

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

dexter6 posted:

the new wacom bamboo sketch seems pretty dope, but any wacom stylus can be highly recommended really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dexter6 posted:

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you're looking to write annotations and highlighting in PDFs and handwritten note taking, then almost all non-Pencil BT styluses are steaming poo poo. Get a plain stylus. Personally, until I moved to the Pro, my go to stylus was always the Adonit Pro. It was a dream to use in PDF Expert with the app-based palm rejection turned on. And it worked very well for handwritten notes in Noteshelf and Notability.

For artwork, some of my friends like the Pencil by Fifty Three (which is Bluetooth). The only other one's I'm aware of are the Adonit Pixel and Wacom Intuos.