Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

UHD posted:

Lamia too.

For a good long while I had the amazing ability to cast while moving and everything cost 0 mana, with the unfortunate downside that my spells did fuckall. Also casting a spell would interrupt itself.

Still got all the XP and a sweet coat though. Thanks, rando dungeon team!

Only like half of Lamia broke though. Me and a couple others in our party weren't having issues after we got out of Susano during it, but one of the Red Mages just wasn't getting Dual Cast procs even though his spells were going off just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just finished the penultimate 2.x MSQ cutscene gauntlet. can't wait until tomorrow when i watch for another 2 hours when i dig into HW for the first time.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Minrad posted:

Nin is good and rides a frog

Sold. Time to botch some mudras! I rouletted into Wanderer's Palace Hard and didn't die or get out-DPS'd by the honest healer, so that's a decent start I guess.

As an aside, I went with an Au Ra girl, and the animations for ROG look a million times better than they did on my Elezen character.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I get the impression that Direct Hit is going to wind up being the Good Stat for Samurai, while Monk still wants maximum Crit (due to how Chakras work now). Which leaves me torn for how I should be melding my striking gear moving towards savage coming out in a week or two. Has anybody compiled reliable stat weights by job yet or is that still ongoing?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SonicRulez posted:

There's a 13 FATE chain in the Steppe? What the gently caress.

It takes about an hour and a half to do since there are three 20 minute breaks interspersed in there. Fail any fate in the chain and reset to one. Most of the fates require to you to keep NPCs alive too. So not soloable. Pretty cool fate chain about a group of horse-riding fantasy-Mongolians and their battles against the elephant men.

Toward the end of the chain, we had a good 20 people out there working on it and thus about 300 enemies spawning at once.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there a massive cheevo at the end or is it just for the satisfaction? I mean I must do it either way, but that sounds insane.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did they nerf the mandatory HW dungeons? I just healed Sohr Khai on level 50/60 roulette and regen was enough to keep the tank up. We also killed the first boss before the second wave of moogles spawned.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Step into my parlor," said the Zenos to the WoL.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

mistakes were made in this susano ex learning party

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Is there a massive cheevo at the end or is it just for the satisfaction? I mean I must do it either way, but that sounds insane.

There's a housing item

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Drizvolta posted:

There's a housing item

There's also an achievement ("Dataq Is Cheap") for completing the last FATE in the chain.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jalapeno_dude posted:

There's also an achievement ("Dataq Is Cheap") for completing the last FATE in the chain.

I managed to sneak in at the second to last FATE and get both. The housing item is an outdoor thing and positively huge, about as tall as a cottage.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Kakesu posted:

no that looks like you're doing it right

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kakesu posted:

If your DPS is high enough, by having a healer take the sword and having your tanks attacking the sword you can break it before you get murdered by the orbs. It's the new Skip Soar.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Started brand new after playing way back when 2.0 and need some levelling advice.

I'm currently going WHM, planning to swap to AST when the game lets me, but I am really far ahead of the levelling curve and am not sure what to do. I've just entered Coerthas and I'm level 46, and from what I remember I've got ages to go until the end of the ARR storyline (and I never did the pre-HW story, so god knows how long that is).

Do I just keep dumping exp into WHM, or should I take this opportunity to use some of the humongous MSQ experience to level some other things? This Road to 60 buff is bonkers.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shy posted:

Do that many people pay for it?

i pay for 3 extra, i know people who have all 8.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wilekat posted:

Started brand new after playing way back when 2.0 and need some levelling advice.

I'm currently going WHM, planning to swap to AST when the game lets me, but I am really far ahead of the levelling curve and am not sure what to do. I've just entered Coerthas and I'm level 46, and from what I remember I've got ages to go until the end of the ARR storyline (and I never did the pre-HW story, so god knows how long that is).

Do I just keep dumping exp into WHM, or should I take this opportunity to use some of the humongous MSQ experience to level some other things? This Road to 60 buff is bonkers.

I'm almost out of ARR content (decided to not do the last 2.x quest at 1:30am for some reason), and was probably a few levels under you for the Snowland Funtimes. The XP curve flattens to almost nothing at 50 (5000xp per quest, level 51 is 1.something million xp), and there's a gap between the level 46 and 49 MSQ of the original 2.0 content. I started 2.x at 51 and I'm barely going to be 55 before going into HW.

Do as much as the MSQ as you can and level a second job if you want to break up the monotony of MSQ only, but the XP buffs will still be around as well as hunting and challenge log stuff so vOv.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Phone posted:

I'm almost out of ARR content (decided to not do the last 2.x quest at 1:30am for some reason), and was probably a few levels under you for the Snowland Funtimes. The XP curve flattens to almost nothing at 50 (5000xp per quest, level 51 is 1.something million xp), and there's a gap between the level 46 and 49 MSQ of the original 2.0 content. I started 2.x at 51 and I'm barely going to be 55 before going into HW.

Do as much as the MSQ as you can and level a second job if you want to break up the monotony of MSQ only, but the XP buffs will still be around as well as hunting and challenge log stuff so vOv.

I guess I should just keep pushing through the story so I can actually get AST unlocked. I'd also forgotten about that 46-49 MSQ gap and am suddenly remembering running up and down this place doing FATEs for hours upon hours.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wilekat posted:

I guess I should just keep pushing through the story so I can actually get AST unlocked. I'd also forgotten about that 46-49 MSQ gap and am suddenly remembering running up and down this place doing FATEs for hours upon hours.

Now you just run POTD or heal/tank a dungeon or four.

EDIT Just hit 60 on my ast last night and was level 35 four days ago. Would have gone faster but I took long breaks to watch futurama and bitch about bad tanks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Now you just run POTD or heal/tank a dungeon or four.

rip the "good old days" of aoe farming the start of dzemael dorkhold

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I still miss North Thanalan FATE farming.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what date is the live letter again?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Minrad posted:

rip the "good old days" of aoe farming the start of dzemael dorkhold

I think they should do something akin to WoW where at level 70 you can blow some of your scrip/whatever on hq leveling gear that would auto update stats based off of your level and provide additional exp bonuses.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
Do you guys know how to start the Namazu quests in Yanxia? I see other playing going in and out of their house all the time. I'm Lvl 68 in the MSQ and have heard of this Kurobana vs Gyorin quest, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Namazu are just so loving cute! :kimchi:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

It feels like N.Thanalan still exists when you go to fringes. Every single time I've gone there in the past few days and try to do a fate I find that its scaled immensely with no one doing it, a minute later this wave of like 20 people fly down and start murdering everything before moving on to the next fate that pops up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It feels like N.Thanalan still exists when you go to fringes. Every single time I've gone there in the past few days and try to do a fate I find that its scaled immensely with no one doing it, a minute later this wave of like 20 people fly down and start murdering everything before moving on to the next fate that pops up.

Fate farming from 60-61 is a comfortable alternative to the infinite PotD grind.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

what date is the live letter again?

Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 2:30 a.m. (PDT)

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Is there any place to spend Verity tomestones before you get to the end of the Stormblood MSQ? I've been taking the quests slow and doing my daily roulettes, so I've maxed out on them just after finishing Bardam's Mettle.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Umbreon posted:

Man, everytime I hear about a function not being able to change in a game that's been out for years, it's always because "X hardcoded Y and everything references it". It almost feels like no game dev should be hardcoding anything with how much games can change.

No dev of anything should hardcode anything because it's bad no matter what the application is

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

cheetah7071 posted:

Did they nerf the mandatory HW dungeons? I just healed Sohr Khai on level 50/60 roulette and regen was enough to keep the tank up. We also killed the first boss before the second wave of moogles spawned.

It's not that it's nerfed, it's that you're stronger. They removed all item level sync from the HW dungeons so no matter which one you go to you're synced to i270 or whatever the highest in Heavensward was.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Loving SAM so far but I have to ask:

What's the point of Hissatsu: Seigan. It seems very tough to time with Third Eye, only does 200 potency and takes away Kenki. I feel like I have enough Kenki dumps that trying to time that into a rotation seems hamfisted.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/samurai/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I remember hitting the aforementioned MSQ lull and was directed to Northern Thanalan FATEs. It felt like I was playing vanilla WoW all over again, in the worst way.

IMO Fates need to have their base xp tripled or some poo poo. Even if they work out to decent xp/hour, they feel like such an incredible slog to see your bar only tick up a small amount upon completion. I was doing some fate grinding in the mid 50s on my RDM while the instance servers were going batty at SB launch and just remember the feeling of "oh man, only like, 50 more fates to level!"

I'm not really crazy about how they scale to population either, because it feels really bad at high population and just as bad soloing, there's just small sweet spot where with a handful of players they go at a decent pace.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Does that fate also drop the housing item? If so I think I may have done the last one in the chain on accident before.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

m.hache posted:

What's the point of Hissatsu: Seigan. It seems very tough to time with Third Eye, only does 200 potency and takes away Kenki. I feel like I have enough Kenki dumps that trying to time that into a rotation seems hamfisted.

It is slightly more damage per kenki than spending it on Shinten, so just use it whenever you know you'll take damage.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

m.hache posted:

Loving SAM so far but I have to ask:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/samurai/

Third Eye and Seigan are both OGCD, so "timing" it isn't hard at all. As for why it's such a negligible increase in DPS, there is no answer. You aren't missing any secret that will make it make sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mrs.Nameko posted:

Do you guys know how to start the Namazu quests in Yanxia? I see other playing going in and out of their house all the time. I'm Lvl 68 in the MSQ and have heard of this Kurobana vs Gyorin quest, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Namazu are just so loving cute! :kimchi:

Just keep doing all the sidequests in the zone until more pop up.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!

Rand Brittain posted:

Just keep doing all the sidequests in the zone until more pop up.

Awesome Thank you!!! :glomp:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baby T. Love posted:

Third Eye and Seigan are both OGCD, so "timing" it isn't hard at all. As for why it's such a negligible increase in DPS, there is no answer. You aren't missing any secret that will make it make sense.

It's easy to time when I'm soloing or face tanking something but in instances, short of having a cast bar for an unavoidable AoE skill, the damage can be hard to predict (until I memorize fights I suppose).

I also sometimes feel like Eyes Open doesn't trigger on certain damage types. To me it appears it only triggers on a direct hit from a mob. If it's something like a damage aura nothing happens.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It is embarrassing how bad the bot problem is in pvp right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Green Bean posted:

Is there any place to spend Verity tomestones before you get to the end of the Stormblood MSQ? I've been taking the quests slow and doing my daily roulettes, so I've maxed out on them just after finishing Bardam's Mettle.

Are you saying you hit 70 before you finished Bardam's? Because verity only drops when you run things at 70.

Rascyc posted:

It is embarrassing how bad the bot problem is in pvp right now.

I run PvP all the time because it's fun as hell and this problem is vastly over exaggerated.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 12, 2017