Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paul Zuvella posted:

What kind of pastry is Kawhi?

A cruller stapled to a Napoleon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dante80 posted:

Of course it's not a real team.

The best Easter egg though is on 2:12, showing the "neighborhood legend".

The jersey spells SOUVLAKERS, which is a combo of LAKERS and...SOUVLAKI (the most popular fast food in Greece).

I'd wear that jersey.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

I'm literally shaking reading all the people who think kawhi is better than Durant

The truth will set you free,
Metapod. Accept it in your heart.
Wake up and smell the farts.
Kawaii is better than KD

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
gently caress that proposed Reggie Jackson trade.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dante80 posted:

Of course it's not a real team.

The best Easter egg though is on 2:12, showing the "neighborhood legend".

The jersey spells SOUVLAKERS, which is a combo of LAKERS and...SOUVLAKI (the most popular fast food in Greece).

well it took me a while to believe the HELLAS were a team ha ha ha, but a Cavs jersey joke about a NYC hip hop anthem in a Greek commercial seemed 50/50
AndI'm Sellin' Dope
but Souvlakers is a very nice jersey I'll take two

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Metapod posted:

I'm literally shaking reading all the people who think kawhi is better than Durant
you going back to Durant now that he won a championship is literally sickening

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SOUVLAKERS actually stands for Souve-Lakers. As in the lakers are cooked as a franchise.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

SOUVLAKERS actually stands for Souve-Lakers. As in the lakers are cooked as a franchise.

Are you thinking of sous vide

Kibner posted:

gently caress that proposed Reggie Jackson trade.

What, you're telling me you DON'T want Reggie Jackson on your team? That's crazy, look at how much Dejan loves him

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

they are cooked very accurately

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kawhi is better. Durant has been better in the past, but this last year Kawhi proved he's the better player at this point. I'll give Durant the slight edge on offense, but Kawhi is much better on defense. Plus he hasn't stopped improving.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ghost Dog posted:

they are cooked very accurately

Magic's the chef, whipping up very accurate dishes

Bill Simmons posted:

But that’s only the beginning. Simmons sees a much bigger picture that could come together. “What if I told you that 12 months from now, LeBron James, Paul George, John Wall, and Boogie Cousins will all be on the Los Angeles Lakers together?”

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm finally getting around to watching the Lonzo Ball summer league highlights and he just looks so goddamn slow out there

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

What, you're telling me you DON'T want Reggie Jackson on your team? That's crazy, look at how much Dejan loves him

:mad:

Don't need a ball-hogging, no-defense, dick-head on this roster (insert Cousins joke here).

Yeah, having a better PnR guard would be nice, as would getting ride of Ajinca, but for Reggie "I wear mitts on the bench to keep from getting frostbitten hands" Jackson.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

:mad:

Don't need a ball-hogging, no-defense, dick-head on this roster (insert Cousins joke here).

Yeah, having a better PnR guard would be nice, as would getting ride of Ajinca, but for Reggie "I wear mitts on the bench to keep from getting frostbitten hands" Jackson.

Yeah I don't wish Reggie upon anyone at this point. His knees are hell too.

Also re: John Wall, he still hasn't signed that deal that was offered to him and he says he's "chillin." He then threw some ice water on Auto Porter and didn't seem to realize how harsh he was being

quote:

John Wall openly lobbied for Paul George to join the Washington Wizards earlier this offseason in a move that some saw as a slight to small forward Otto Porter Jr. When asked about it Monday, Wall made no apologies.

"There's a difference between a role player and a superstar," Wall said referring to Porter and George, per Candace Buckner of the Washington Post. "It's a big difference. There's a lot teams that will make a lot of trades for a superstar."

The reaction also didn't seem to get to the All-Star point guard.

"It's what people are going to say about it," Wall added. "I love Otto as a teammate, but at the end of the day if you can make your team better, you can always do that. If people take it the wrong way, then so be it."

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching the Lonzo Ball summer league highlights and he just looks so goddamn slow out there

When Kendall Marshall is getting blow-by's on you, you might have a quickness problem.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

He indeed does. I was rather impressed with his passing ability though. The guy is seriously very keen on seeing stuff on the court.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

you going back to Durant now that he won a championship is literally sickening

If you think I'm going back to liking Durant you are mistaken. I'm not going to allow personal hate and anguished of Durant diminish his basketball abilities. Every accolade he gets in golden State is empty and shouldn't be apart of a discussion of legacy and such but this isn't one of those discussions. We are talking sheer ability and kawhi does not reach Durants abilities. Being what seems the only one who is arguing this is frustrating cause the last thing I want to do is argue in the name of that oval office. I will agree with others that said Durant is the 3rd best player in the league but kawhi isn't the player who fills the 2nd spot

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Even his passes look slow, everything he does just seems to be moving in slow motion.

I know over-reacting to an extremely small sample size, but quickness and speed don't really seem like things that you can really fix, unless he is like horribly out of shape. Trying to envision him as even a passable defensive player in the NBA seems difficult.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Durant is definitely the #2 player in the league in some salacious ways

Paul Zuvella posted:

Even his passes look slow, everything he does just seems to be moving in slow motion.

I know over-reacting to an extremely small sample size, but quickness and speed don't really seem like things that you can really fix, unless he is like horribly out of shape. Trying to envision him as even a passable defensive player in the NBA seems difficult.

There were a lot of reports pre-draft about teams thinking he was out of shape when he worked out for them, but maybe that's just the way he is

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I personally think that Durant is better, however I do not think the gap is all that big.

Lebron - > Durant -> Kawhi are probably the top 3 players in the nba in my opinion.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul Zuvella posted:

I agree and it's part of why when people compared him to Jason Kidd I always thought it should have been more like old Jason Kidd on the Mavs.

His passing and vision is definitely nice as hell though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Cavs signed Cedi Osman, 3/8.6 That's a good deal for them. He is probably a legit rotation wing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Cavs signed Cedi Osman, 3/8.6 That's a good deal for them. He is probably a legit rotation wing.
I've never scouted a player that looked worse in Europe than him

E: tbf apparently he has improved a ton

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 12, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metapod posted:

Says the guy who's willing to lock it in that 26 year old Kawhi will never EVER (EVER?!) be as good as "the peak KD is at right now"
Okies are the battered wives of the NBA

When KD said OKC will blow you away I wasn't expecting this kinda servicing

smithers
Jun 18, 2013
The Kawhi (how do people still misspell his name so often) vs Durant debate is classic off-season trash talking points. You all sound like Skip Bayless.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/885153095352811522

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Holy poo poo I can't wait to see this trade monstrosity

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah I don't wish Reggie upon anyone at this point. His knees are hell too.

Also re: John Wall, he still hasn't signed that deal that was offered to him and he says he's "chillin." He then threw some ice water on Auto Porter and didn't seem to realize how harsh he was being

Didn't he say some poo poo about Beal too, once? He's not worth a max contract, he's not even top 5 at his position (Westbrook, Paul, Lowry, Curry, Walker, Conley, Lillard*) and he's a bad teammate whoa

edit: *possibly IT and Kyrie in there too, sheesh,

smithers posted:

The Kawhi (how do people still misspell his name so often) vs Durant debate is classic off-season trash talking points. You all sound like Skip Bayless.

I think it's deliberate because he's so cute. Also this is the first off-season where it's a real debate. Kawhi is really, really, really good at improving and his final game of the season did some loud talking.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 12, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

smithers posted:

The Kawhi (how do people still misspell his name so often)

Because anime.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Randle
Lopez

Clarkson
Deng
Nance
Zubac

35 wins in the East maybe, but not in the West. More around 25-28 I'd say.

That's a bottom picking team if I've ever seen it. Lopez will get them a few wins but the rest of that team is young or doesn't play defense.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Unless Knicks give draft picks they automatically win this trade

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

EvanTH posted:

Unless Knicks give draft picks they automatically win this trade

Watch us give away a first.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Give me the 30 team trade

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

Somehow this ends with the Nets getting the Knicks unprotected pick, I know it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Holy poo poo I can't wait to see this trade monstrosity

I got it!

It doesn't make any sense, but I am so bored at work right now.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7jtb8yk

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RCarr posted:

Hahah you can't stop me I'm in phase three of the Triangle and this time things are gonna go good for sure this time. Lucy will let me kick the ball.

(who is even in charge of negotiating for the Knicks right now? Steve Mills? It's Dolan again isn't it)

Paul Zuvella posted:

Somehow this ends with the Nets getting the Knicks unprotected pick, I know it.

NY gets a #1 pick, not the worst outcome. Just don't send it to Boston again pretty please

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pubic works project posted:

I got it!

It doesn't make any sense, but I am so bored at work right now.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7jtb8yk

that's just two, two team trades, not a 4 team trade. Nice attempt though!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shear Modulus posted:

kawhi's better

the top three players in the league as of last season were lebron, then kawhi, then durant

At least he doesn't have to worry about being 2nd best anymore.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

that's just two, two team trades, not a 4 team trade. Nice attempt though!

It made my head hurt...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y76hdew6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
While the title to this Ringer article, "A Good Front Office Is the NBA's Market Inefficiency", is at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I can't help but be struck by how truly wrong it is. The newest market inefficiency isn't actually good management, it's bad management. How so?

Demarcus Cousins was traded for a package centered around Buddy Hield.

The Bulls gave away Jimmy Butler so they could grab future washout Kris Dunn.

And finally, the Pacers apparently passed on multiple better offers to obtain Oladipo on a 4 year 85 million contract.

As you can clearly see, the GMs of bad teams are simply not interested in young players and contracts that good front offices would give out. Don't believe me? Consider this:

The Warriors may be the best team of all time, and they were forced to sign the likes of Nick Young this offseason.

The Spurs, who haven't missed the playoffs in two decades, are signing Rudy Gay, who was not only never good but now also recovering from an Achilles injury.

The Rockets, known for their forward-thinking front office, just gave away multiple rotation players and a pick to sign a guy they could have grabbed in free agency. This actually brings me to my next point:

I think that Morey has perhaps seen the writing on the wall, and has decided to dip his toes into the bad management = good management pool. Sign Ryan Anderson to a bad contract. Then build a gigantic 4 team trade to trade him for a player that may be even worse. If this somehow lands the remainder of the Banana Boat crew in Houston, we will truly know we are in a new era of good/bad GMing.

houstonguy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 12, 2017

• Locked thread