Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The situation of the first season was just too gross for me to watch past the first few episodes. Didn't want to see purple man at all even if he was going to eventually be defeated.

I think the part where I couldn't watch any further was him making the one guy stop his car and leave his crying kid on the street and drive away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jessica Jones is probably my favorite of the Netflix series but dear god is it oppressive as poo poo to watch, and I don't think I could ever rewatch it.

It's how I feel about Handmaiden's tale as well.

Black Panther EW cover page and shots.

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885127969257082885

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885124584873222144

^ Whole bunch of shots in that thread.

https://twitter.com/Lupita_Nyongo/status/885118558707081216

https://twitter.com/FilmFatale_NYC/status/885127425788694530

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 12, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dexo posted:

Jessica Jones is probably my favorite of the Netflix series but dear god is it oppressive as poo poo to watch, and I don't think I could ever rewatch it.

It's how I feel about Handmaiden's tale as well.

Black Panther EW cover page and shots.

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885127969257082885

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885124584873222144

^ Whole bunch of shots in that thread.

https://twitter.com/Lupita_Nyongo/status/885118558707081216

https://twitter.com/FilmFatale_NYC/status/885127425788694530

So how long before FOX News and AM Radio decry this movie?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The costume work in that movie is dope as gently caress. I hope the cinematography does it justice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BiggerBoat posted:

So how long before FOX News and AM Radio decry this movie?

Look man there are white people in there...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah as the bad guys! This is teaching our young white boys that they are not good eno-hhahahahaha

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Pretty cool shot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What did Andy Serkis do before LoTR?

Fake Edit: A ton of British stuff it looks like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Morning Show on Fox News (Fox & Friends) already had a segment in February complaining about it. The issues were:

- Announcing the movie in February (Black History Month) is pandering.

- Making a movie hyping the black cast is celebrated, but if you hyped an all white cast, then you would get run out of Hollywood.

- Choosing to name the movie "Black Panther" is deliberately provocative.

- It is reverse racism to make the African nation the most technologically advanced one.

- Of course the villain is White!

- We just complained about the Oscars being too white and this is a reaction to it. Why do black actors and directors want awards that they didn't earn? If they want an Oscar, then they should make a movie that gets nominated for an Oscar.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 12, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I don't get it, is Black Panther supposed to be a tribal movie or is it set in the future, but being tribal is like a trend...just because?

Personally, I've never read the Black Panther comics to get any of this, and even though this is meant to be a different thing because it's in the MCU, I still haven't got a clue.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Junior Jr. posted:

I don't get it, is Black Panther supposed to be a tribal movie or is it set in the future, but being tribal is like a trend...just because?

Personally, I've never read the Black Panther comics to get any of this, and even though this is meant to be a different thing because it's in the MCU, I still haven't got a clue.

What makes it seem "tribal" to you?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

He's right but Alien Covenant instead of Wonder Woman

Alien Covenant was bad

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junior Jr. posted:

Black Panther takes place in Wakanda, a super technologically advanced African country that is also super isolationist.

They personify gently caress You Got Mine. Think of it like the Amazons from Wonder Woman, only technology instead of magic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think of it more like Atlantis, but on land. Isolated from the rest of the world, feared and envied for their technology, culturally very different from Western civilization.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Burkion posted:

Black Panther takes place in Wakanda, a super technologically advanced African country that is also super isolationist.

They personify gently caress You Got Mine. Think of it like the Amazons from Wonder Woman, only technology instead of magic.

Ohhhh so basically Wakanda is like Shanghai or Dubai or any city that has enough oil and cash to make cool futuristic stuff, okay got ya.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Junior Jr. posted:

Wakanda is essentially what happens when an isolationist african nation, isn't interfered with by European or any foreign interests, and thus advances technology, and culturally without any outside influences.

Now toss in a magic metal which supercharges their technology past anything in the outside world.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dexo posted:

Wakanda is essentially what happens when an isolationist african nation, isn't interfered with by European or any foreign interests, and thus advances technology, and culturally without any outside influences.

Now toss in a magic metal which supercharges their technology past anything in the outside world.
Basically its like Ethiopia in that it was able to fight back European colonialism except with magic metal.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
But where did they get the magic metal?

Unless it was that weird glowing alien poo poo from the Avengers movies and Spider-Man Homecoming, I'm not buying that part.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

Out of the ground.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

Unless it was that weird glowing alien poo poo from the Avengers movies and Spider-Man Homecoming, I'm not buying that part.

As far as I'm aware they just happen to live on top of a bunch of the metal that Cap's shield is made out of.

Serf
May 5, 2011

They live on the world's biggest (only?) deposit of vibranium, which is that super-metal that Howard Stark made Cap's shield out of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

It's just a natural resource they happen to have though possibly aliens stuck it there or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think I remember reading vibranium was meteor poo poo.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Okay, that clearly tells me SOMETHING here doesn't add up.

How did Wakanda even have the cash and resources to make the most highly advanced super-technological city in the world ever???

Where did they bring it up in the comics? Is it brought up in some silver age Marvel encyclopaedia from the 70's/80's or whatever?

NOW I'm getting suspicious. Nerd senses are tingling and everything.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
They're a self sustaining isolationist utopian society that lives on top of magic metal. It doesn't matter.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Junior Jr. posted:

How did Wakanda even have the cash and resources to make the most highly advanced super-technological city in the world ever???

Where did they bring it up in the comics? Is it brought up in some silver age Marvel encyclopaedia from the 70's/80's or whatever?

We get dude, you find a well-off, self-sufficient African nation unrealistic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Junior Jr. posted:

They stole it.

Look at the FBI statistics.

https://www.infowars.com

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

Like most other countries, they print their own cash. The resources were beneath their feet, like most mineral resources.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm pretty sure Wakanda's status as hyper technologically advanced and independent has been around since Lee and Kirby introduced them in the 60s.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Okay so you see...they're black people from Africa that found a bunch of space metal and then said "We're rich bitch! Funk the rest of you, we gone mine!" and over time became isolationist profiting off of said special space metal and it made them super advanced and any nation or invading force have been utterly decimated thanks to the tech developed from the special space metal as well as a rockin protector Panther God that imbues their King with powers to kick rear end and thus they are futuristic but didn't go too far from their African cultural roots so still have clothes and aesthetic that stem from that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vibranium is a super rare magic metal that is worth like a thousand times its weight in gold. Stark probably paid a solid chunk of his fortune just for the small amount he made into Cap's shield. And they literally sit on top of the largest (only?) deposit of it in the world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But... They not white. How nation work?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They didn't profit off of it.

They never sold any of it.

Its rare as poo poo for Vibranium to get out of Wakanda

You can only obtain it by finding someone who is somehow able to smuggle it out.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Equeen posted:

We get dude, you find a well-off, self-sufficient African nation unrealistic.

Wakanda is a fictional nation, whoever said it was realistic?

Gatts posted:

Okay so you see...they're black people from Africa that found a bunch of space metal and then said "We're rich bitch! Funk the rest of you, we gone mine!" and over time became isolationist profiting off of said special space metal and it made them super advanced and any nation or invading force have been utterly decimated thanks to the tech developed from the special space metal as well as a rockin protector Panther God that imbues their King with powers to kick rear end and thus they are futuristic but didn't go too far from their African cultural roots so still have clothes and aesthetic that stem from that.

So it's like if Dubai or Abu Dhabi were super lucky and have a kickass neo-futuristic metropolis because of extremely rare powerful space material that can do awesome things, and having a superhero defending it was like a bonus.

Also they better have a kickass police force, have you seen Abu Dhabi's police supercars?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Alien Covenant was bad

Any movie with out evil robot Fassbender destroying the world is bad

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Has there ever been a scene with a poor person in any of the MCU movies? I'm serious here. Have they ever shown actual poverty? A homeless guy? Anything else like that? All I can think of off the top of my head is Iron Man 2 showing Vanko in his lovely Russian apartment while his dad died. Anything else?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Closeup of the Black Panther helmet looks dope.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Has there ever been a scene with a poor person in any of the MCU movies? I'm serious here. Have they ever shown actual poverty? A homeless guy? Anything else like that? All I can think of off the top of my head is Iron Man 2 showing Vanko in his lovely Russian apartment while his dad died. Anything else?

You DID see the Sokovia scenes in Age of Ultron, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cap 1, Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, and (space poverty) Guardians off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Morning Show on Fox News (Fox & Friends)

loving called it.

If it winds up being popular, they'll be bitching about why there's no Blue Panther movie or some stupid poo poo, ignoring the thousands of movies where a white cop or, more, a white vigilante who kills people is a hero (Death Wish, Dirty Harry, Die Hard, Robocop).

Movie looks great but this is why we can't have nice things.

• Locked thread