Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Yu Yevon wasn't really a god, though. The funniest thing about X's story is that the Yevon rligion, by the time of X, had nothing to do with Yevon. Wakka and Lulu are as clueless as Tidus when Yunalesca and Mika namedrop Yu Yevon.

Who could have imagined that over a thousand years "Oh my god! Yu Yevon, stop killing us!!" morphed into "O' Yevon; my god! Stop it from killing us!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Meridian posted:

So I'm passed the initial starting dungeons, at the point of meeting up with Balthier and Fran to go rescue Penelo. This is roughly the point I've reached in the past when playing this game, but I am having way more fun this time around.

Very excited to take on the three or so available hunts I've accepted and then try out the Trial mode.

Game's good.

No joke I did not enjoy the original version at all and turns out giving me a job system was all I needed to love the game (Also a turbo button)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

Who could have imagined that over a thousand years "Oh my god! Yu Yevon, stop killing us!!" morphed into "O' Yevon; my god! Stop it from killing us!"

Easter morphed from an orgiastic celebration of springtime to celebrating how Jesus rose from the dead; Saturnalia/Christmas have a similar relationship. It's not super far-fetched, which is part of why I loved the world-building of FFX so much.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've hit Ozmone Plains and I'm starting to feel the effects of wanting to equip all six party members. A few of my characters lack adequate weapons and even Penelo is still wearing her default armor. I hate to say it but I'll have to farm for a bit.

Anyone else having trouble keeping up?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I can sell anything in the Loot category or what?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wish X had followed in the popularity of VII and gotten more spin-off games; I think it would be pretty sweet to have a Lightning Returns-style game set during the Zanarkand-Bevelle machine war

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Calaveron posted:

Yes

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I forgot Snow didn't. I did know Fang didn't! (and never bothered to use Hope, gently caress that guy)

Story/Character reasons aside, Hope is a really good character. He's pretty much the best Rav; he doesn't get any access to the Strikes, but he's the only one with access to all the spells and elements (has Aeroga which is an important launcher unlike Vanille, and all the others only have limited element spells). As a medic, he's one of the 2 characters that actually has both Curasa and Raise (not to mention Curaja). He's the best Syn up there with Sahz; only difference is Veil vs Vigilance. He's also a pretty good Com once you give him Ruin. Most of this is at relatively low/mid level too.

What ties all of this together is him having the highest magic stat, which means he's the best in all of these roles when they aren't explicitly physical. He also has a faster casting speed than Sahz/Vanille too. Just don't use him for a Sen or Sab.

quote:

And I did actually mean Death in COM/COM/COM for when you needed to hit 99999 at a relatively lower level, Highwind could easily be superior though. Been long enough I haven't done the math :shobon:

Well, the thing about Highwind/Sovereign Fist is that they get raw damage multipliers added to them when attacking staggered targets. You'll be hitting the normal damage cap with just a com/rav/rav paradigm in most cases, at least I'm pretty sure you'd be doing that at a Stage 9 Crystarium (which is when you get full-atb skills).

Calaveron posted:

Someone said it before, but basically yeah.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Good to know, poo poo's expensive in this game
Also why would I want to equip a Firefly?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DoubleCakes posted:

I've hit Ozmone Plains and I'm starting to feel the effects of wanting to equip all six party members. A few of my characters lack adequate weapons and even Penelo is still wearing her default armor. I hate to say it but I'll have to farm for a bit.

Anyone else having trouble keeping up?

Only played the original but what reason is there to do that? I only ever used or upgraded the first three characters. I was just barely always able to give them the strongest weapons and armor. Then they slaughtered everything just by attacking. I didn't even understand why they gave you more than 3 characters to use when they were all the same.

Is the game much harder?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

I wish X had followed in the popularity of VII and gotten more spin-off games; I think it would be pretty sweet to have a Lightning Returns-style game set during the Zanarkand-Bevelle machine war

All I really want is a prequel featuring Jecht, Braska and Auron.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Calaveron posted:

I'd recommend keeping a few of each piece of loot around if you can afford it. There's one item you get from a hunt (Great Serpentskin) that is used for a couple different bazaar items so you don't want to sell them all off at once.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Calaveron posted:

Good to know, poo poo's expensive in this game
Also why would I want to equip a Firefly?

To stay low level for challenge runs

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sefal posted:

All I really want is a prequel featuring Jecht, Braska and Auron.

They're not teenagers or in their early 20s. Japan would not be interested unfortunately.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

some guy on the bus posted:

Only played the original but what reason is there to do that? I only ever used or upgraded the first three characters. I was just barely always able to give them the strongest weapons and armor. Then they slaughtered everything just by attacking. I didn't even understand why they gave you more than 3 characters to use when they were all the same.

Is the game much harder?

Well now they at least have different jobs you can switch them out for. You can still stick to 3 characters but I like to keep them all leveled and geared for variety.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The story of Jecht, Auron and Braska felt more compelling at times than FFX's own party but you can't have a modern Final Fantasy without bishi heartthrobs and waifus.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

They're not teenagers or in their early 20s. Japan would not be interested unfortunately.

This game is basically ffxv

E: noctis is even a summoner and dies at the end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You want the great serpent skin to get the best outcome for the medical attention sidequest which nets you another one of those LP doubling earings aka that item that destroys the games difficulty curve completely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one of the most popular anime of the past decade is about a single dad in his mid-late 30s, but okay

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Unwilling to let Zanarkand be destroyed, Yu Yevon had the surviving citizens turn themselves into fayth and used them to summon an idealized version of Zanarkand at the peak of its power. Yu Yevon gathered a horde of pyreflies and transformed them into an armor for himself, which became the creature, Sin.

Yu Yevon gave the creature a set of simple instructions: destroy any machina or large settlement to stall technological evolution, and retaliate to all hostility with extreme prejudice. Sin's first act was to destroy the real Zanarkand

this is my favorite final fantasy character

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yu Yevon's plan still doesn't make any sense to me. Like, if you have enough willing subjects to help summon a horrendous seamonster to destroy all the other civilizations of Spira, why not just... try that first and preserve the actual Zanarkand before it gets destroyed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Yu Yevon's plan still doesn't make any sense to me. Like, if you have enough willing subjects to help summon a horrendous seamonster to destroy all the other civilizations of Spira, why not just... try that first and preserve the actual Zanarkand before it gets destroyed.

Because the actual of creating that giant sea monster effectively destroyed Zanarkand anyway.

Basically:
Zanarkand was under attack by Beville. They were losing the war. They had a last-ditch solution which would preserve the people (in Faith/dream form) and let them get revenge. So they did that. There was no way to preserve the actual Zanarkand and also have the thing powerful enough to wreck the poo poo out of the machina-equipped armies at their doorstep.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Because the actual of creating that giant sea monster effectively destroyed Zanarkand anyway.

It's almost like, in life, you become the thing you hate the most. Whoa.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The one thing about FFX that was never clear to me was that each Sin kill made it's respawn time shorter?
Has that been figured out yet?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
IIRC Sin always came back almost immediately, but the new host was conscious and held the Sin body back. As the years went by, Yu Yevon's influence became stronger and the new hosts lost control even faster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's also suggested that the Sin we fight has been awakened too soon Executus... too soon because Jecht was still somewhat in control, allowing Tidus and Auron to ride his totally tubular armor back to Spira.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what's the hardest final fantasy that isn't 2

not counting post game superbosses like dark aeons/penance

Probably Final Fantasy Tactics or 8, because their mechanics are more obtuse than "kill things get loot kill more things"

They become REALLY easy once you can wrap your brain around the mechanics, though!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

this is my favorite final fantasy character

Source for this?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Probably Final Fantasy Tactics or 8, because their mechanics are more obtuse than "kill things get loot kill more things"

They become REALLY easy once you can wrap your brain around the mechanics, though!

Nah, 8 is easy if you play it on a surface level because Summon boosting is good enough.

Tactics gets really hard real quick with Dorter City, and the UI in general is kinda obtuse for modern games.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I came into this thread to ask if there were any significant differences to Zodiac Age in terms of core gameplay and I see people talking about dual jobs, geez

Did they change anything like drop locations or the invisible chest that contains the best bow in the game? I'm a big mega powergamer who knows too much about things like chest locations and drop percentages

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/comments/6mthvn/anyone_get_seitengrat_yet/

this gently caress got it easily

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can I sell all loot in one go?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tae posted:

Nah, 8 is easy if you play it on a surface level because Summon boosting is good enough.

Tactics gets really hard real quick with Dorter City, and the UI in general is kinda obtuse for modern games.

Yeah FFT has one of the steepest immediate difficulty curves when you go from 3 or 4 battles against other melee dudes and some weak monsters into "here are some black mages and archers that start on rooftops, have fun slowly chasing them down while they steadily move further away from your squires and chemists while potshotting you from afar every turn"

The first time I played through it I had more trouble in Dorter than I did with Velius

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

8 i found easy when i spent 10 minutes grinding out diablos' "no encounters"

my plan was to just not have encounters until i found a boss I couldn't beat and then grind as little as possible

and that's how I found out bosses in ff8 are level scaled lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Are the models for these still invisible? That was pretty much enough for me to never bother with them lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FFT is easily the hardest FF but it's also easily the best.

Liking FF12 so far. Some of the reorchestrated musical pieces are better than the originals and some are worse. I like the original version of the Rabanastre music better than the new one. It had a better tempo. The new one sounds too fast.

Any tips for any of the trials? I'm going to mess around with them tonight.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

FFT is easily the hardest FF but it's also easily the best.

Liking FF12 so far. Some of the reorchestrated musical pieces are better than the originals and some are worse. I like the original version of the Rabanastre music better than the new one. It had a better tempo. The new one sounds too fast.

Any tips for any of the trials? I'm going to mess around with them tonight.

Each trial autosaves, if you load the autosave it dumps you into the main game with whatever exp, lp and items you have earned. Trials mode then starts over at stage one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

Each trial autosaves, if you load the autosave it dumps you into the main game with whatever exp, lp and items you have earned. Trials mode then starts over at stage one.

Can you grind stage 1? I'm not sure I want to grind too hard but it would be cool to get a jump start.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can you grind stage 1? I'm not sure I want to grind too hard but it would be cool to get a jump start.

I haven't done it yet since I am still working, but I don't see why not.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Are the models for these still invisible? That was pretty much enough for me to never bother with them lol

yep

Elephant Ambush posted:

yep

if you run along the inside edge you can get the diamond armlet which sells for 6000 gil over and over, or attempt to steal a 90 attack katana from the flowering cactus in trial 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

let me tell you about dustia farming

There is a way to do this without having the EXP curve broken and you just getting all the cash and LP.

You can have Vaan be dead and have Penelo do it before she leaves. She'll absorb all the levels.

You see, each joining party member's level is based off Vaans, and when Penelo leave the game doesn't save it, instead it recalculates it again based off Vaan's level once she rejoins.

So you could level Penelo to 99 on Dustia and it wouldn't matter.