Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Totems are only there to fulfil the horror movie role of stuff that seems like useful information but actually just makes things more confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Totems are only there to fulfil the horror movie role of stuff that seems like useful information but actually just makes things more confused.

Also the game role of collectibles and trophies.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I went ahead and bought Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, Shadow of Mordor and RE4 after some recommendations.

Figured I'd give my first thoughts since the thread helped me decide on 2 of those.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Amazing. Full stop. I'm barely a few minutes past the initial cave\sneaking tutorial and hunting Watchers is intense. I know there's a lot more coming so I'm pretty eager to get back to it.

Nier: Automata is fun. The perspective changes mess with me for dodging but if I feel frustrated, I'll drop it to easy cause I'm an old man and have some bad reaction times.

Haven't gotten to Shadow or RE4. I'll start on HZD or Nier after I finish Persona 5. So many good games :neckbeard:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

acksplode posted:

It's nice if you're a framerate dork, HZD at 1080p 60fps is like :drat:

Not dog piling on you, but yeah I WANTED that. That's why looked at the Pro reviews for it and saw it was a slight upgrade and hardlocked 30. Well HZD didn't drop noticeably to me ever, so locked 30 doesn't matter.

I have problems with HZD. But no other game has ever been so damned pretty I stopped after an hour and thought about spending $400 just to see where it could go from there.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

revolther posted:

I imagine it's so they can use the cheapest 1x BR drives available. Compared to how much caching and reading of disks was done by previous systems and how the optical drives could be problematic components, they've probably reduced the amount of reads the BR drive does outside of installations to like 10,000 in it's lifetime.

I wonder if they saw their normal PS4 projections and had a bulk order of normal BR drives made, so when the Pro came out, they didn't want to waste their stock and said "screw it" and just kept it the same drive?

They probably knew about the XBoneS before it was publicly announced and that it would have had a 4k drive, so I don't get why they wouldn't have just nipped it in the bud unless there was an even bigger financial hit than the drive itself.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RBA Starblade posted:

I glanced at how to avoid earlier deaths in Until Dawn and it is a little bullshit that at least one death has nothing to do with your poor life choices and instead is dependent on whether or not you notice an alternate route or entrance in certain instances, but I'm probably going to replay the game anyway, so oh well.

I got three people killed due to missing a 1 second button press, so I'm kind of having the same feelings you're having right now.

Until Dawn is still pretty good, but I am loving Tales from the Borderlands. I have also never played a main line Borderlands game yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tales is better than the main Borderlands games, anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until Dawn is better when more of the cast dies. If a theatrical adaptation was ever made where everybody survives it would be the lamest horror movie ever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

Until Dawn is better when more of the cast dies. If a theatrical adaptation was ever made where everybody survives it would be the lamest horror movie ever.

I managed to kill everyone but one during the play through I did

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Tales from the Borderlands is probably great if you are of a certain mindset but the humour did nothing for me and there isn't much of a game there. Its telltales best effort but that's a low bar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm having fun watching them all die and was planning to do that, it's just a bit lame that it's for that sort of thing and not your actual decisions or loving up the input on a bad decision. It's a pretty fun game that aside.

Anora posted:

I got three people killed due to missing a 1 second button press, so I'm kind of having the same feelings you're having right now.

Until Dawn is still pretty good, but I am loving Tales from the Borderlands. I have also never played a main line Borderlands game yet.

Haha, where was that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Iron Crowned posted:

I managed to kill everyone but one during the play through I did

As the game went on I found myself playing each character more like their classic archetype than actually trying to keep them alive. "Here is the obvious last girl, so she's going to make all the sensible decisions. The paranoid girl who wanders off on her own all the time? Fukkin DED."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Best death in my playthrough was hearing a voice calling in the mines, going to investigate, opening the trapdoor and getting my head ripped off. It's me, I'm the brainless horror movie character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Best death in my playthrough was hearing a voice calling in the mines, going to investigate, opening the trapdoor and getting my head ripped off. It's me, I'm the brainless horror movie character.

One death I had had Emily hanging off a broken radio tower and Matt deciding whether or not to save her and the choices involved either saving her or bitching at her for hugging Mike earlier. Earlier in the game I started a catfight between Emily and Jessica and now every PREVIOUSLY ON UNTIL DAWN has them calling each other sluts.

I'm having fun choosing the bitchy options. It'd be better with no horror trappings at all, just Dumb Teen Simulator. Except you can still accidentally kill yourself. Peter Stromare can still question why you want to kill them so badly. :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The acting in until dawn is great. Really sells the idea.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony's done another one of those firmwares that fucks up things. Can't log in to half of my online games right now because of it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really stoked for the until dawn VR prequel . I hope it's a full length game and not some 2 hour deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The checkpoint system in MGSV is annoying in free roam. I'm always a bit paranoid after picking up random supplies as to whether it saved (if I want to turn off the game). Having to run around with D-horse looking for a checkpoint trigger is bad. I think fiddling with some options also gives you a save but I'm not positive, and that's equally clunky.

(Also I had to re-find all the diamonds on one of the platforms when I got too enthusiastic about exploration; I jumped in the sea).

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Don't leave the boss out in the wild, always take him home (and tuck him in).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The checkpoint system in MGSV is annoying in free roam. I'm always a bit paranoid after picking up random supplies as to whether it saved (if I want to turn off the game). Having to run around with D-horse looking for a checkpoint trigger is bad. I think fiddling with some options also gives you a save but I'm not positive, and that's equally clunky.

(Also I had to re-find all the diamonds on one of the platforms when I got too enthusiastic about exploration; I jumped in the sea).

I bet you haven't showered him in days you sick gently caress.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Only had the flies once.

I do wish all the "maintenance" costs were a bit cheaper. I'd use the heli way more often if a sortie wasn't so expensive.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Eventually you'll roll around in more money than dirt and filth and you can call up Pequod just to hear him fly in playing your favorite tune.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, money is a good incentive to not bring all kinds of fancy gear you don't need in the early game. In the late game, it doesn't matter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Only had the flies once.

I do wish all the "maintenance" costs were a bit cheaper. I'd use the heli way more often if a sortie wasn't so expensive.

If you never uses your helo for airstrikes do NOT put crazy guns on it. That's a huge cost.

And yeah you can call for any supplies in the field so you don't have to bring a rocket launcher every time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Downloaded the Homefront: Revolution demo on a whim, and I'm kind of annoyed at myself for missing it when it was on sale. This would be a fantastic little game at £10 or so - £30 is pushing it though. Can definitely see the rough edges all over, but there's a quiet fun in sneaking around and knifing folks again.

However, "Norks"? REALLY? :laffo:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Get Wolfensteins, knife nazis

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Downloaded the Homefront: Revolution demo on a whim, and I'm kind of annoyed at myself for missing it when it was on sale. This would be a fantastic little game at £10 or so - £30 is pushing it though. Can definitely see the rough edges all over, but there's a quiet fun in sneaking around and knifing folks again.

I have the full game. Is kind of sandboxy. There seems to exist two type of areas, full war, where you guerrillery around, and sneaky sneaky sectors where you kill then flee withouth getting detected much. For the sandbox feel, the game don't really put too much limits how you achieve some missions in the open world (probably is more strict in some set pieces).

It somewhat reminds me "The Saboteur", but maybe is only me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah, money is a good incentive to not bring all kinds of fancy gear you don't need in the early game. In the late game, it doesn't matter.

Personally I'd have liked the game better if the economy was more skewed towards choice making vs an endless supply of gear. The early game was substantially more engaging to me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bombadilillo posted:

Get Wolfensteins, knife nazis

Got that on release day. :black101:

I'm in that itchy mood for something Ubisofty again, I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Personally I'd have liked the game better if the economy was more skewed towards choice making vs an endless supply of gear. The early game was substantially more engaging to me.

Oh, I completely agree.

I wish that there was continued incentive to make choices about what you needed to take on missions.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I continue my search of horrid games until Destiny 2 release.

This week I am testing Crossout. Is some "build you guerrilla tank and fight" game that seems to copy most gameplay elements from World of Tanks. Is kind of fun, but it takes some grinding to have enough materials to start building interesting vehicles. Is interesting, a interesting free to play game.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It is much more satisfying to run around with just the tranq pistol until that last mission where you're getting assaulted in waves though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Just buy a used physical copy. I think they top out around 15 bux.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Liver Disaster posted:

It is much more satisfying to run around with just the tranq pistol until that last mission where you're getting assaulted in waves though.

Yeah it's fun to goof off with rocket fists and stuff but MGSV never gets better than tranq pistol + C4 + CQC.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Any time you have to clean up the heavy armored troopers the rocket fist is a must, and jehuty was fun but I never really got the hang of it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Armor provides no defense from CQC, Snake

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

first thing I did with the rocket fist was punch myself in the face

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I started Horizon Zero Dawn today and random lines of dialogue are completely silent. The same character will be mute one sentence and then speaking the next. Is this a known issue? It's really annoying.

Edit: music and sound effects are unaffected

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Akuma posted:

I started Horizon Zero Dawn today and random lines of dialogue are completely silent. The same character will be mute one sentence and then speaking the next. Is this a known issue? It's really annoying.

Edit: music and sound effects are unaffected

I had stuff there I would get a 30 second or so pause between lines. They just stared at eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Horizon is one of my favorite games in a long time but yeah the surround mix is extremely bad in some places