Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sheriff posted:

The Warriors may be the best team of all time, and they were forced to sign the likes of Nick Young this offseason.

He was the best shooting wing free agent left on the market

Who else were they supposed to sign at their Exception?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sheriff posted:

The Timberwolves gave away Jimmy Butler so they could grab future washout Kris Dunn.

:confused:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Metapod posted:

I'm literally shaking reading all the people who think kawhi is better than Durant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQ2mjkvYY8

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Having this possibly involve 4 teams probably means no Ryan Anderson to NY. Good, if true.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sheriff posted:

The Warriors may be the best team of all time, and they were forced to sign the likes of Nick Young this offseason.

Signing Nick Young for that cheap was a great deal for the Warriors, he makes their bench much better

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I see the mistake. I think he meant to write "Timberwolfs"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Morey is way smarter than me but I don't see how this makes the D any better, which seems like it would be a bigger area of concern. Maybe he's betting he can flip melo's expiring in a year since those suddenly have value again? Someone tell me where I'm stupid

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd9ntxyk

This makes everyone happy no?

edit: Nets -11 wins haha

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tae posted:

He was the best shooting wing free agent left on the market

Who else were they supposed to sign at their Exception?

I appreciate your rosy optimism, but we the fans shouldn't be making excuses for management being behind the curve.

My apologies, that was a typo. A paradigm shift like this can cause quite a few crossed wires.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sheriff posted:

While the title to this Ringer article, "A Good Front Office Is the NBA's Market Inefficiency", is at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I can't help but be struck by how truly wrong it is. The newest market inefficiency isn't actually good management, it's bad management. How so?

Demarcus Cousins was traded for a package centered around Buddy Hield.

The Timberwolves gave away Jimmy Butler so they could grab future washout Kris Dunn.

And finally, the Pacers apparently passed on multiple better offers to obtain Oladipo on a 4 year 85 million contract.

As you can clearly see, the GMs of bad teams are simply not interested in young players and contracts that good front offices would give out. Don't believe me? Consider this:

The Spurs, who haven't missed the playoffs in two decades, are signing Rudy Gay, who was not only never good but now also recovering from an Achilles injury.

The Rockets, known for their forward-thinking front office, just gave away multiple rotation players and a pick to sign a guy they could have grabbed in free agency. This actually brings me to my next point:

I think that Morey has perhaps seen the writing on the wall, and has decided to dip his toes into the bad management = good management pool. Sign Ryan Anderson to a bad contract. Then build a gigantic 4 team trade to trade him for a player that may be even worse. If this somehow lands the remainder of the Banana Boat crew in Houston, we will truly know we are in a new era of good/bad GMing.

hahaha you are so very wrong on most of those.

Nick Young is a decent 3pt shooter that in an environment where he has to be serious will probably be fine(or he will ride bench)

The Rockets by trading for CP3, rather than signing him with cap space gave themselves an exception they otherwise would not have had because of doing it before the new league year starts.

Rudy Gay is a decent player who will be fine on a team where he isn't going to be a top option.

Pacers are in a position in a market, that they have to field at least a decent team or else their attendance tanks. And Oladipo is popular around there.

Time posted:

Morey is way smarter than me but I don't see how this makes the D any better, which seems like it would be a bigger area of concern. Maybe he's betting he can flip melo's expiring in a year since those suddenly have value again? Someone tell me where I'm stupid

Defense? What the gently caress is defense on a D'Antoni team?

Anyway, Assuming they keep CP3, Ariza and Capela could be decent 3 defenders on the court, with Harden at 2, and Melo at 4.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sheriff posted:

I appreciate your rosy optimism, but we the fans shouldn't be making excuses for management being behind the curve.

Do you realize that Nick Young is a good shooter and 5 million for him is a great deal

I don't really like his persona that much but a 38-40% three shooter off the bench will be great for the Warriors

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

A good post I needed this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Time posted:

The Rockets signed PJ Tucker, dude. He's already worked on the defense.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lil B is a closet Knicks fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2d7xGpozQ

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Cool Buff Man posted:

Do you realize that Nick Young is a good shooter and 5 million for him is a great deal

I don't really like his persona that much but a 38-40% three shooter off the bench will be great for the Warriors

Oh well, since the joke flopped, yes of course I realize that's a great deal for the Warriors. I just thought it was funny that legitimately great players have been traded for peanuts over the past year, while guys like Young and Gay, who were on the bad-Lakers and Kings last year, are now on prestige franchises.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
EvanTH has made me a believer in his Melo crusade and I want him to call Morey and state his case

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sheriff posted:

Oh well, since the joke flopped, yes of course I realize that's a great deal for the Warriors. I just thought it was funny that legitimately great players have been traded for peanuts over the past year, while guys like Young and Gay, who were on the bad-Lakers and Kings last year, are now on prestige franchises.

Oh I gotcha. I'm a little kneejerk with the praise anytime I see someone call Nick Young straight up bad because I feel that the Bastard Byron Scott unfairly turned him into a basketball punchline with his lineup bullying

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm a little kneejerk with the praise anytime I see someone call Nick Young straight up bad

Can I interest you in a little wager?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

Can I interest you in a little wager?

No, I think the whole "put money on your opinions" thing isn't that great. Thanks though

e: Edited to look like less of a jerk cuz that wasn't my intention!

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 12, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Mostly because 37% is still a decent clip to shoot 3's at. It's at least enough to maintain spacing requirements for people to not completely ignore you.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycjjogjz

Knicks pick to the Pelicans

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I went from left to right nodding and smiling and then cracked up at the last one, why would you do this to Kibner

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Atlanta's Swipe Right Night has resulted in at least one marriage.
https://twitter.com/ilyuu/status/884838819945738241

edit:
Can someone offer Noel a big deal already so the Mavs can match it. The longer this goes the more I'm worried nobody will, the Mavs will lowball him, and he will take a 1 year deal instead. At this point being a Mavs fan has taught me never to expect the signing or resigning of a defensive big man to go well for the team.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 12, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Time posted:

EvanTH has made me a believer in his Melo crusade and I want him to call Morey and state his case

I'm surprised he doesn't just ask Ol' Dantonio about it, but then again Melo's biggest flaw is his defense so I could see him being unaware of that issue

I was looking at Zogo's net point 3's post from a few pages back and thinking man, D'antoni teams would never beat the Spurs or the Warriors (or the Cavs, but the previous two make that a moot point) over 7 games. Even if the Rockets get their ideal PPP they lose a ton of possessions with bad defense v. great defense, and the team that's playing D and still converting 3p attempts wins out. The math doesn't seem like it'd work for D'antoni here.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I've been watching FIBA tournaments for a week or two now, and something felt off. So I finally looked up the rules, and it's the shot clock:

quote:

FIBA — 24 seconds; After offensive rebound: 14 seconds

NBA — 24 seconds

NCAA Men — 35 seconds; Women — 30 seconds

14 seconds after an offensive rebound is quite the change.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

The rockets as is will be better defensively than last year, possibly by quite a bit. Paul is an upgrade on Beverley (and will play more minutes), and the minutes of Sam Dekker and Lou williams are going primarily to pj tucker right now. Dekker and Williams are real real bad defensively. If its Anderson for Melo, that's basically lateral. Capela with another season probably shows some improvement, also. Houston was basically a mediocre defensive team last year statistically, Morey has said his goal is to get them into the top 10, which seems tough but possible.

Really, Houston lost in the playoffs because they couldn't score when San Antonio adjusted their defense to Houston's very predictable and entirely Harden reliant offense. The Rockets scored 75, 96, 92, and in OT, 107 in their playoff loses to San Antonio. I think Paul will solve a ton of that problem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/885182108225781760

Woj was holding Shams back

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

on the potential Melo trade:

quote:

No deal was imminent on Wednesday, but the Knicks and Rockets are confident that they have a willing third-team trade partner incorporated into the framework, league sources told ESPN.

The fourth team was needed to move a particular player contract that neither the Knicks nor Rockets could or would accept in the deal, league sources said
That suggests they've found a home for Ryan Anderson, and the issue is finding a home for some player from that 3rd team now. Which I think means they may be getting pretty close?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19972743/new-york-knicks-houston-rockets-working-multiple-carmelo-anthony-trade-scenarios

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

gently caress this

Bringing all the GMs together for a weekend with the deadline looming helped feed the chaos, and the Boogie trade ruled

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

xbilkis posted:

gently caress this

Bringing all the GMs together for a weekend with the deadline looming helped feed the chaos, and the Boogie trade ruled

The trade deadline should be halftime of the All-star game

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Boosh! posted:

Hey man quit leaving out the Pacers in these deals! KP wants to make some more bad trades. Lol at the -11 wins though.

Lmao drat my dude. You trying to give Kibner a stroke?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Booooooo!! gently caress Silver! I want closed door GM meetings at the All-Star game!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

The trade deadline should be halftime of the All-star game

Any trades made during the All-Star game involving someone playing in it should be exempted from salary cap rules.

Also Adam Silver comes and announces the deal on the court.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 12, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/okcthunder/status/88517340528007168

I'm happy for my friend Metapod.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

pubic works project posted:

Hey man quit leaving out the Pacers in these deals! KP wants to make some more bad trades. Lol at the -11 wins though.

I'm really gonna need you to find a new shorthand for Lil' Pritch. The MSG broadcast team calls Porzingis "KP" on air and a busted ol' GM can't be usurping a nickname. I get an extremely dangerous heart flutter every time I'm seeing KP name with "trade" and some second stringer attached to it, you're gonna kill me. Don't kill me!!

already deleted

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

EvanTH posted:

I'm really gonna need you to find a new shorthand for Lil' Pritch. The MSG broadcast team calls Porzingis "KP" on air and a busted ol' GM can't be usurping a nickname. I get an extremely dangerous heart flutter every time I'm seeing KP name with "trade" and some second stringer attached to it, you're gonna kill me. Don't kill me!!

already deleted

I'M SORRY EVAN! I'll just call Pritchard Ol' Shithead instead.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I on the other hand live for wacky spitball trade rumors.

If someone who wants me to die can't post anymore because of them, so much the better.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

I went from left to right nodding and smiling and then cracked up at the last one, why would you do this to Kibner

pubic works project posted:

Lmao drat my dude. You trying to give Kibner a stroke?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7ajkpom

Celtics and Knicks send picks to Pels

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

Can a team go below 0 wins?

Also yes that trade would make me extremely happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tanglewood1420 posted:

Celtics send picks

realistic trades only please

• Locked thread