Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

dude's not even a professional journalist
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/twitter-guy-wants-you-to-think-he-was-this-close-to-bri-1796855232

quote:

In an interview with the Columbia Journalism Review, he revealed that not only was he nowhere close to publishing a story about the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia, it was just a thing he was pursuing in his free time, as a kind of hobby

which honestly makes it funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

whomupclicklike posted:

Do they actually do the one on the left?

Occasionally, but the one on the right isn't exactly abandoned to teach only the one on the left. They also picked an incredible loaded example problem. Like most mathematicians and physicists or whatever math heavy discipline one has, how you go about solving a problem lends itself to an awful lot of shortcuts if you're comfortable with it

Change the 24 to a 136, and all of a sudden the jumps on the number line are much more manageable than the 3 lines of regrouping you have to do on the righthand example.

136 --> 125 and 10 and 1

225 - 125 - 10 - 1 = 100 - 10 - 1, so count back 1 from 90 and you have 89.

Besides, ~Traditional Math~ is like 99% how to give change back when someone buys something, while common core is for analytics, pattern finding, etc.

https://twitter.com/actioncookbook/status/884799791191949312

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Jul 13, 2017

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse.

WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Azathoth posted:

When I do mental math, I do something pretty similar, and I was taught math long before common core was a thing. Seems overly complicated for working something out on paper though.

Most “common core” rants are angry responses to mental math techniques being written out on paper, which is frequent for common core compliant courses.

most Americans cannot so mental math and those same americans can’t piece together what is going on there.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
[quote="“pillsburysoldier”" post="“474310240”"]
Besides, ~Traditional Math~ is like 99% how to give change back when someone buys something, while common core is for analytics, pattern finding, etc.
[/quote]

actually counting change is a very “common core-esque” trick of counting up from what’s owed, to the total amount of cash handed over. written on paper it would meet equal ire.

traditional math is just good and common techniques that lend themselves to access to paper and pencil.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

meanwhile a million soccer moms say "gosh I'm just not good at math"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I too have a copy of elements of style with the pages stuck together.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

“I am definitely a Republican on fiscal issues and the military, but I lean to the middle on social issues. I am no fan of abortion, but it’s not up to a man to tell a woman what to do. As an ordained minister I don’t look forward to marrying gay people, but I’m not opposed to it,” Rock said.

gay people are icky

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gio posted:

“I am definitely a Republican on fiscal issues and the military, but I lean to the middle on social issues. I am no fan of abortion, but it’s not up to a man to tell a woman what to do. As an ordained minister I don’t look forward to marrying gay people, but I’m not opposed to it,” Rock said.

gay people are icky

A black, 40ish man doesn't like gay people? Shocker there.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

bedpan posted:

uh what

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan posted:

Kid Rock not the Rock

The US is about the enjoy more than one rock based politician.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
kid cock

dont PLEASE @ me

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Kid Rock is an ordained minister? What?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gio posted:

gay people are icky

Would vote for him over Clinton at this point

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i generally dont like the common core because its a symptom of the misguided thinking that more demanding, more standardized curricula and testing are the solutions to what ails american education.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Andorra posted:

Kid Rock is an ordained minister? What?

http://www.ulc.org/become-a-minister/

Congrats now you are too

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gio posted:

i generally dont like the common core because its a symptom of the misguided thinking that more demanding, more standardized curricula and testing are the solutions to what ails american education.

America will try literally everything, including destroying the education system, before actually funding it.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Guy Goodbody posted:

take off the restrictions of society and they'll just be immortal and flying around on jetpacks forever

ancaps want everything to be free market (except for dating)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

ancaps want everything to be free market (except for dating)

the only purpose the government should have is requring attractive :females: to date me

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

America will try literally everything, including destroying the education system, before actually funding it for minorities.

Ftfy

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slave catcher

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

PerilPastry has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Jul 13, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mr. Belding posted:

Most “common core” rants are angry responses to mental math techniques being written out on paper, which is frequent for common core compliant courses.

most Americans cannot so mental math and those same americans can’t piece together what is going on there.

haha yeah the lefties are the real terrorists

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"you don't like standardized testing being rammed down your kids throat? how about you kill yourself dumbass also you smell"--mr belding

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i don't see goons.txt anywhere so imma just post this here:

People should trust their insurance carrier more than their doctor.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Peanut President posted:

"you don't like standardized testing being rammed down your kids throat? how about you kill yourself dumbass also you smell"--mr belding

Saved by the Bell had a dark season

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Nonsense posted:

i don't see goons.txt anywhere so imma just post this here:

People should trust their insurance carrier more than their doctor.

This checks out: You're relying on a doctor's authority as a professional to give you the best treatment and not trying to milk you with excessive testing and medicine made by a company that basically sponsors them. An insurance carrier will be honest with you and tell you to die in a gutter.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AnnieDuBois69/s...r%3D331%23pti16

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She has good taste in retweets:

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/884128259692261377

https://twitter.com/Boringstein/status/882699086994034691

https://twitter.com/LaterCapitalism/status/882114545480859653

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I will always watch the entirety of this video whenever I see it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bring back lf

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Just started watching this and it's freaking me out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdpubsPLCMo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Accretionist posted:

Ancient Coastline spotted also mild shock.gif

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Accretionist posted:

should I watch the video by a third way guy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zoran posted:

I'm gonna do a live blog for you:
"Jim Kessler, policy strategist at a leading centrist think tank in Washington, DC,"
refers to the party as "we"
"Hillary won the popular vote"
"comey, russian hacking, a few things, she wins this election"
uses ski mountain ratings for a political metaphor
"new york, massachusetts, california, the three most educated states"
refers to delaware as one of the "most cosmopolitan" states

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Zoran posted:

Let me sum it up: "Democrats should be the capitalist party because people like us, successful educated Democrats, love globalization, and we should tell country folks about it"

gently caress this guy