Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a game with a good 5.1 mix I haven't found one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy god I'm bad at shooting robits in the eye.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Every Battlefield game IMHO.

I'm a couple hours into Horizon and it's pretty rough in places. You just clip through snow, most dialogue scenes have boring Mass Effect - like animation and direction, fighting human enemies just feels bad and clunky, sound mixing is terrible and it's sometimes hard to hear what people are saying. Some voiced and named characters look exactly the same after a ~20 year timeskip. Scripted voicelines are put so closely together you will often skip entire lines while playing normally.

You have at least six unique weapons but can only equip four at a time. When you fight a mix of small and large enemies with varied weaknesses swapping weapons can get really annoying.

Lots of invisible walls everywhere and I even got a 'leaving play area' warning message, during free roam, while running around in the mountains :psyduck:

This, and the middling gameplay combined with some pretty bad writing, have kinda soured me on the game. I'll give it a few tries but I'm pretty disappointed. It's pretty, the robots are neat, and I enjoy messing around with the camera function. But other than that I have little positive to say so far.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 12, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Like Renoistic said, every BF game. Dice have an unreal sound design team.

The MGS 4 surround mix is godly.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Like Renoistic said, every BF game. Dice have an unreal sound design team.

The MGS 4 surround mix is godly.

MGS4 has great sound, yeah. I don't really play BF but I still buy them from time to time just to try them out with my surround system.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool I'll check out BF then

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bad Parenting posted:

Some people in this thread that can't tell the difference between 1080p / 4k and HDR/SDR must have broken eyes and/or brains. Or a TV that doesn't properly display HDR.

People are adamant that you can't see the difference until a certain screen size, but who knows

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cool I'll check out BF then

Turn on war tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-k1_bbMcbw

Turn on war tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX7xUpUzfA8

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Every Battlefield game IMHO.

I'm a couple hours into Horizon and it's pretty rough in places. You just clip through snow, most dialogue scenes have boring Mass Effect - like animation and direction, fighting human enemies just feels bad and clunky, sound mixing is terrible and it's sometimes hard to hear what people are saying. Some voiced and named characters look exactly the same after a ~20 year timeskip. Scripted voicelines are put so closely together you will often skip entire lines while playing normally.

You have at least six unique weapons but can only equip four at a time. When you fight a mix of small and large enemies with varied weaknesses swapping weapons can get really annoying.

Lots of invisible walls everywhere and I even got a 'leaving play area' warning message, during free roam, while running around in the mountains :psyduck:

This, and the middling gameplay combined with some pretty bad writing, have kinda soured me on the game. I'll give it a few tries but I'm pretty disappointed. It's pretty, the robots are neat, and I enjoy messing around with the camera function. But other than that I have little positive to say so far.

Like 70% of this is flat out wrong, but whatever floats your boat.

Battlefield does have incredible sound design though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first game I played once I had a 5.1 setup was Bloodborne and I remember the mix being pretty good

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Flattens out the dynamic range something awful. Makes positional audio less good. Sounds exciting though, will give you that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also for those of you playing yakuza how exactly do I recruit more girls and partner up? Is there eventually icons in the mini map?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also for those of you playing yakuza how exactly do I recruit more girls and partner up? Is there eventually icons in the mini map?

You partner up by rubbing your face along storefronts until one gives you a prompt to examine it. It then tells you the price and you can decide to partner or not. At no point does it appear in the map which is a pain when you only need one more business in the area for 100%. There are maps online of course. I think if you are still battling the first club you can only partner in their area. Same in the real estate mogul activity with kiryu.

If you've been playing sidestories then girls you've helped will be hanging around outside club sunshine to be recruited, or you can unlock some at the shrine. There are a few girls you can approach in the street, again you need to run up to them to see the prompt, they arent on the map iirc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

Yeah it's fun to goof off with rocket fists and stuff but MGSV never gets better than tranq pistol + C4 + CQC.

rubber bullet smg is really fun though

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SiKboy posted:

You partner up by rubbing your face along storefronts until one gives you a prompt to examine it. It then tells you the price and you can decide to partner or not. At no point does it appear in the map which is a pain when you only need one more business in the area for 100%. There are maps online of course. I think if you are still battling the first club you can only partner in their area. Same in the real estate mogul activity with kiryu.

If you've been playing sidestories then girls you've helped will be hanging around outside club sunshine to be recruited, or you can unlock some at the shrine. There are a few girls you can approach in the street, again you need to run up to them to see the prompt, they arent on the map iirc.

That sounds like the worst. Thank you though.

18 hours in and only on chapter six :( I just do all the side quests so much :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

War Tapes uses the action movie sound mixing technique of "Louder is better"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rogue Leader for GameCube.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The second most asked question next to "will there be a Bloodborne 2" has been answered.

I am happy to report that all 40+ of the Bubba The Love Sponge avatars are on sale on PSN right now. 10% off!!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not as good as call of duty sales

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

But those are a myth

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

That sounds like the worst. Thank you though.

18 hours in and only on chapter six :( I just do all the side quests so much :(

Dude, I'm at like sixty hours and I'm only just now finishing Chapter 11. I must've put the controller down at work or something because I know the game isn't even that long if you mainline the story, and while I've certainly spent a lot of time on side quests (and garnered a handful of girls for the club or people to work at a thing that you might not have unlocked yet, but I was literally just about to pop in here to talk about how good/fun the story is.

Nearly all of the Yakuza games straddle this weird line between being completely ridiculous when you're outside of cutscenes and being completely sandpaper-level gritty when you're in them, but what really gets me about the series is that both sides are handled with aplomb. You can just scoot around for hours (see: above) just doing the most inane poo poo for people or yourself, but then when you decide it's time to head back into the story, it's pulpy and twisty and nearly always well-done. It's such a special series, and I'm infinitely thankful that the people in our 3rd Party Partners dept. some how got them to sign on for both 0 and 6 is something I remind them of every day I come back from a night of playing 0. It's such an impossible thing to request, given how well the games sell here in the States, but they pulled it off, and it keeps the gravy train of absolutely amazing Japanese games in 2017 coming.

Seriously, can you imagine, at the height of the PS2-to-PS3 transition era a decade ago, that some soothsayer would be right when they said, "oh, hey, by the way, you know all those amazing, experimentally Japanese games that you loved since Nintendo basically saved the industry? Yeah, those are all going to go away while something as trivial as higher resolutions and just a handful of western-developed action games are going to completely dominate the industry while those Japanese games will struggle to even compete," you'd lock that person up.

This new boom is a godsend, especially when you factor in that loving cell phones are the biggest platform and money maker for a lot of these publishers. We're getting honest-to-god real Japanese games that haven't lost their quirkiness, willingness to experiment, or attention to detail in some things that I don't think any western developer would bother to consider. Literally NO other dev would put as much time and effort into the menus and transitions of Persona 5 than Atlus. Nobody would dream of releasing two Japanese mafia dramas where you also do fetch quests for the weirdest members of Japanese society (okay, that one's kind of a given).

I'm just so HAPPY that things have been mixed up again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Same

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Nier: Automata a lot, but basically all the hype people say about it is 10x more true about Yakuza 0.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Seriously, can you imagine, at the height of the PS2-to-PS3 transition era a decade ago, that some soothsayer would be right when they said, "oh, hey, by the way, you know all those amazing, experimentally Japanese games that you loved since Nintendo basically saved the industry? Yeah, those are all going to go away while something as trivial as higher resolutions and just a handful of western-developed action games are going to completely dominate the industry while those Japanese games will struggle to even compete," you'd lock that person up.

I had an Xbox so I would have just looked at my dead Dreamcast then went back to Halo. :haw:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I like yakuza a lot and thank Sony for bringing it over. Wish the psp games got translated.

I'm surprised these games never get slated by the press for their blatant sexism and racism. Not that I want them too but at times it's kind of "uhhh" especially with the lady wrestling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SamBishop posted:

Not really. HD graphics are expensive to make and those games were all pretty low-budget to start with. They simply didn't have an in until the Sony started courting the indies and third-party studios away from Microsoft. Nevermind the general lower specs on the Vita, PSP, 3/DS, and (almost certainly) the Switch that lets them do more for less without immediately looking crap in comparison to other titles on the same machine.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

The checkpoint system in MGSV is annoying in free roam. I'm always a bit paranoid after picking up random supplies as to whether it saved (if I want to turn off the game). Having to run around with D-horse looking for a checkpoint trigger is bad. I think fiddling with some options also gives you a save but I'm not positive, and that's equally clunky.

(Also I had to re-find all the diamonds on one of the platforms when I got too enthusiastic about exploration; I jumped in the sea).

If that box popped up that showed all the resources you just got being added to your totals (as well total people/animals extracted) then it saved. Most of the checkpoints are just at the borders of a camp or outpost or whatever, so just ride out awhile and you're good.

Also, outside of missions once you know it saved just go to menu and 'Return to ACC" to fast travel back to the helicopter without paying to deploy it. Unless deploying it will be some bomb-rear end moment where you're blasting sick 80's hits and getting shot at as you race to the LZ, then do that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish the original Katamari Damacy got to be a PS2 Classic. I didn't even own a PS2 and I bought it and imported the soundtrack.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish the original Katamari Damacy got to be a PS2 Classic. I didn't even own a PS2 and I bought it and imported the soundtrack.

Why the gently caress are they not making some wacky-rear end Katamari game for VR or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

The soundtrack's quite possibly why it isn't a PS2 Classic. Aren't a lot of those tracks licensed individually or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, outside of missions once you know it saved just go to menu and 'Return to ACC" to fast travel back to the helicopter without paying to deploy it. Unless deploying it will be some bomb-rear end moment where you're blasting sick 80's hits and getting shot at as you race to the LZ, then do that.

Yeah but then you need to pay full price for redeployment (I believe), instead of just a resupply. Also the process is slow (menus, the loading, the flight). I'll often go on foot/horse even if it ends up taking longer because of how the helicopter breaks up the flow.

You can't call it in and immediately choose a new drop off point so it doesn't load into the Snake Limbo Zone, can you?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Pablo Gigante posted:

The first game I played once I had a 5.1 setup was Bloodborne and I remember the mix being pretty good

The positional audio definitely helps! Also the baby sounds are really creepy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yeah I like yakuza a lot and thank Sony for bringing it over. Wish the psp games got translated.

I'm surprised these games never get slated by the press for their blatant sexism and racism. Not that I want them too but at times it's kind of "uhhh" especially with the lady wrestling.

Because pretty much noone knows or cares about the Yakuza games compared to, say, GTA. There's a reason it took so long for SEGA to translate 3 and 4. Japanese games in general tend to get a pass for stuff like that. Possibly because of my first point. Only recent one that I remember getting some flack was MGSV, and that game was pretty high-profile.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Because pretty much noone knows or cares about the Yakuza games compared to, say, GTA. There's a reason it took so long for SEGA to translate 3 and 4. Japanese games in general tend to get a pass for stuff like that. Possibly because of my first point. Only recent one that I remember getting some flack was MGSV, and that game was pretty high-profile.

If there hadn't been so many promotional materials featuring Quiet nobody would have said anything about Metal Gear either.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kazuma Kiryu is a role model of sex positivity

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Rogue Leader for GameCube.
Holy poo poo, I was going to say exactly this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renoistic posted:

You're forgetting the simple fact that it's set in 1980's Japan. Which isn't meant to defend it, just that it's not without context and you can kinda see the train of logic as to why the fanservice-y stuff is there (aside from titillation, etc, etc).

Unlike Quiet where it's stupid and absurdly blatant all the way down.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RBA Starblade posted:

Haha, where was that?

I wasn't all at once. But I lost Jessica, Matt, and Chris to the last button press in a chain because the button popped up to fast for me to react.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the simple fact that it's set in 1980's Japan. Which isn't meant to defend it, just that it's not without context and you can kinda see the train of logic as to why the fanservice-y stuff is there (aside from titillation, etc, etc).

Unlike Quiet where it's stupid and absurdly blatant all the way down.

Also Kamurocho/Kabukicho is outright a red-light district, so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is Uncharted 4 different or better enough than 1-3 to justify a buy? It's probably unfortunate that I played The Last of Us before playing the Remastered collection, since TLOU is so much better. These are okay. They feel like God of War but less enjoyable, the combat is sometimes fun but can feel weightless, the reliance on explosive set pieces loses steam, I keep getting stuck because I don't notice climbing visual cues, and the characters and dialogue are fun but the story is lame. 3 so far seems to improve on the gameplay quite a bit, while 2 is a lot better than 1 in that respect. But if 4 is simply more of this, I think I'll pass.

Did the TLOU directors working on U4 take it in a refreshing direction?