Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

because magnai too understands tfw no gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I'm trying to imagine a world where that happens for me and I can't

like I don't care for the entire situation they're presenting here one bit. why am I helping this guy do jack poo poo?

You are the Warrior of Light and could just wantonly slaughter all of these people for daring to detain you but because you're a good and kind person you don't.

Also because you're here to help Hien raise loyalties, actively disobeying Magnai means a harder hill to climb for your allies and could lead to repercussions

Basically you're humoring him. Just say sarcastic remarks towards him whenever your character is opening their mouth to gawpble and blwarfle, that'll make you feel better.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can actual deal with the smug egotism. That doesn't bother me so much. But the bit where he essentially threatens Lyse with being used as another tribe's sex slave is like

nah I don't want anything to do with this dude that isn't me putting a katana through his chest

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Brainamp posted:

In the form of murdering local deities.

Know that I will murder your deity if I have to, maybe even if I dont have to.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Game good Strong Boy strong.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Blockhouse posted:

I can actual deal with the smug egotism. That doesn't bother me so much. But the bit where he essentially threatens Lyse with being used as another tribe's sex slave is like

nah I don't want anything to do with this dude that isn't me putting a katana through his chest

if it helps you do eventually beat the poo poo out of him, depose him, and replace him as the leader of the steppe with someone who's not a shithead

I really wanted to be able to tell Magnai to gently caress off too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Basically, you want Magnai to honor the traditions of the steppe by obeying you once you become king even though he doesn't like you.

This means that as a simple matter of reciprocity, you have to obey him while he's king even though you don't like him.

You can't expect him to follow rules you can't be bothered to obey yourself!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Attorney at Funk posted:

if it helps you do eventually beat the poo poo out of him, depose him, and replace him as the leader of the steppe with someone who's not a shithead

I really wanted to be able to tell Magnai to gently caress off too.

I don't know if you caught this little detail, but it's a rather shocking one: You don't replace him with someone better. You replace him with YOURSELF. You, the WoL, are actually the ruler of the steppe warriors after those events. I really hope this comes back up during the patch storylines because it's an unprecedented amount of power to give the WoL.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think I'm having more fun with the hosed up "only cast Blizzard 4 every ninety seconds" illegal BLM rotation than the obvious one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know if you caught this little detail, but it's a rather shocking one: You don't replace him with someone better. You replace him with YOURSELF. You, the WoL, are actually the ruler of the steppe warriors after those events. I really hope this comes back up during the patch storylines because it's an unprecedented amount of power to give the WoL.

I really hope that the next expansion includes the next naadam or what ever it was called.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

this isn't even true, though. the mol are the leader of the steppe warriors now. you simply leverage hien's relationship with them into having them help with doma.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No. WoL is the Kahn, as a member of the Mol, (s)he just presumably leaves Cirina and her grandma in charge of the "daily activities".

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this isn't even true, though. the mol are the leader of the steppe warriors now. you simply leverage hien's relationship with them into having them help with doma.

This doesn't contradict the post you quoted. Leader != leading tribe (or more precisely you're an honorary member of the Mol after doing Bardam's Mettle and so your tribe = the ruling tribe = the Mol). Go back and talk to the various tribe leaders--it's pretty explicit in their dialogue.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, that's wrong. You were acting as a warrior fighting in the name of the Mol. Just cause you were the one that ultimately claimed the territory doesn't make you head of the Mol.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was under the impression that you become the Khagan of the Steppes, a purely ceremonial title, while Cirina is the de facto leader.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, that's wrong. You were acting as a warrior fighting in the name of the Mol. Just cause you were the one that ultimately claimed the territory doesn't make you head of the Mol.

Did you miss the many many times in the MSQ after that point you're addressed as khagan?

e.g. Magnai's dialogue after the end of the MSQ: ...for you are the khagan...for now.

I don't think this is supposed to be confusing.

EDIT: It's true that you're not the head of the Mol, but you *are* the khagan.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Uh, no, you're absolutely wrong. You are explicitly the Khagan, leader of the Steppes. The leaders of the other tribes acknowledge this and even warn you that this will only last until the next Nadaam. The Mol tribe is in charge since you were fighting in their name but you are considered above them and have the authority to call them to war.. which is exactly what you do.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I was under the impression that you become the Khagan of the Steppes, a purely ceremonial title, while Cirina is the de facto leader.

basically yeah

if being khagan ever comes up again it'll be in the context of alph or someone else saying 'hey we need some help we should go to the azim steppe for help' and plot-wise it'll be indistinguishable from just being bros with 3 big name leaders

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tanks who spend 3 GCDs on a pack before moving to the next one during a big pull are the worst

Just long enough for me to decide you aren't pulling big and start pressing CDs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

basically yeah

if being khagan ever comes up again it'll be in the context of alph or someone else saying 'hey we need some help we should go to the azim steppe for help' and plot-wise it'll be indistinguishable from just being bros with 3 big name leaders

"Sorry WOL, we're going to have to kick you out of the Scions until the next Naadam due to a conflict of interests. Enjoy your horde."

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I went back and checked and saw I was wrong. It's super loving weird though that you're the khagan since every time I remembered everyone looking at Cirina every time a decision had to be made for the people of the steppe.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's also super weird, because what the gently caress do the mol even matter then? they were just your invite to the party?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Hank gave me a fat cat. He is my hero. Thanks for listening.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it's also super weird, because what the gently caress do the mol even matter then? they were just your invite to the party?

Pretty much. You needed them to give you (and Hien) the legitimacy to take part in the Nadaam and then command them to fight for Doma. Afterwards you leave Cirina and the rest of the Mol in charge while you head back to Eorzea but retain your position.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Yes, basically. You have to belong to a tribe to compete in the Naadam, and the Mol were the only tribe that was willing to accept an outsider. Well, the only tribe out of the three that were shown. The other 48 tribes didn't feel like showing up I guess.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It is very amusing to me that all everyone discusses is the Azim Steppes. Fringes, Peaks, Ruby Sea, Yanxia, Lochs? Nope. It's all the Steppes. Square-Enix did something very right with the Steppes and something very wrong with the other regions.

The people complaining about the predictability of the story honestly should have brought up actual details, like pointing out that the Ala Mhigan rebellion got wrapped up so incredibly abruptly after you finish the Othard storyline. It seems to me almost like that two separate teams were writing the Gyr Abania story and the Othard story, and had to quickly fuse them to meet the deadline.

The Ala Mhigan plot probably should have been mostly devoted to the Fringes/Peaks, with base Stormblood itself wrapping up with you conquering Doma Castle, and the extended patches dealing with you finishing off Zenos as he retreats into the Lochs and you complete the Ala Mhigo liberation effort.

That way you don't get the weirdly abrupt ending to Stormblood while focusing your efforts on liberating Doma, and you have content for Lyse being inspired by Hien's efforts, and wanting to take it back to Gyr Abania to end Garlemald's incursion into Eorzea once and for all.

Of course I don't know what they have planned for the MSQ for 4.1 and later, who knows where this will go.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just finished the DRK 70 quest and I think the DRK questline has been my favorite thing in the game. that 60-70 stretch was just amazing.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is very amusing to me that all everyone discusses is the Azim Steppes. Fringes, Peaks, Ruby Sea, Yanxia, Lochs? Nope. It's all the Steppes. Square-Enix did something very right with the Steppes and something very wrong with the other regions.

IMO a lot of it is about the music. In the Azim Steppes it's *amazing*; that choral action gives me chills. The Ala Mhigo music is nothing special (except for the national anthem motif which is nice but not really actively present in the zone music) and Yanxia's music was actively grating to me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I don’t know how I got all three commendations as a MCH but I’ll take it :toot:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the weakness of Ala Mhigo is probably it being split to either side of Doma, to the point that you kind of forget the first half. though the inclusion of the Ananta and M'naago's tribe feel really tacked on in that second half.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

The people complaining about the predictability of the story honestly should have brought up actual details, like pointing out that the Ala Mhigan rebellion got wrapped up so incredibly abruptly after you finish the Othard storyline. It seems to me almost like that two separate teams were writing the Gyr Abania story and the Othard story, and had to quickly fuse them to meet the deadline.

The Ala Mhigan plot probably should have been mostly devoted to the Fringes/Peaks, with base Stormblood itself wrapping up with you conquering Doma Castle, and the extended patches dealing with you finishing off Zenos as he retreats into the Lochs and you complete the Ala Mhigo liberation effort.

That way you don't get the weirdly abrupt ending to Stormblood while focusing your efforts on liberating Doma, and you have content for Lyse being inspired by Hien's efforts, and wanting to take it back to Gyr Abania to end Garlemald's incursion into Eorzea once and for all.

Of course I don't know what they have planned for the MSQ for 4.1 and later, who knows where this will go.

Thanks for reminding me of one of the major reasons I feel the plot and patch structure is so repetitive: the 3.5/3.55 gap. The 3.5 story ended on such a sudden note, and the 3.55 story seemed to follow almost immediately, even though several months had passed in real time. The transition from 3.55 to the beginning of Stormblood felt exactly the same way, the whole "I guess we're invading Gyr Abania, see you in a few months" thing. It feels like they just wanted the story and patch structure to be exactly the same as with the lead up to Heavensward, without really thinking about how it would flow. 2.5 ended in a place that made sense, and 2.55 set up an amazing cliffhanger. 3.5/3.55 didn't.

To me it feels like 3.5 should have ended where 3.55 did, and 3.55 should have ended with the battle at Rhalgr's Reach. That way you've got a good reason for the down time between the story (planning for the invasion of Gyr Abania for 3.5, recovering and planning for the Othard expedition for 3.55). That would mean letting people into the first half of the Fringes, so that would probably be asking too much, but I think it would have also been a really good teaser for things to come.

But for whatever reason they had to make things exactly like the previous expansion cycle.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Got AST to 60 yesterday and made myself a glamour to celebrate.

It's just the entire Thavnairian set (minus the hat) dyed Ink Blue but it's much too sexy an armor set to not make use of. The globe is the Sophia EX globe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don’t know how I got all three commendations as a MCH but I’ll take it :toot:

the other 3 might've been friends who went into the queue together so you were the only one they could commend

or you might've had a really sick glamour

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
thats a good ast glamour

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Zenos is a better villain than elf-pope.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The transition from 3.55 to the beginning of Stormblood felt exactly the same way, the whole "I guess we're invading Gyr Abania, see you in a few months" thing. It feels like they just wanted the story and patch structure to be exactly the same as with the lead up to Heavensward, without really thinking about how it would flow. 2.5 ended in a place that made sense, and 2.55 set up an amazing cliffhanger. 3.5/3.55 didn't.

2.55 to 3.0 bothered me for the similar reasons actually. Everything through 2.55 worked pretty well, but it didn't flow well into Heavensward. Like technically they eventually wrapped up the plotlines from 2.55, but it still felt awkward to me since the tone of the story changed quite a bit at the start of Heavensward.

I think it would have been better if they had used 2.55/3.55 as an actual conclusion or epilogue instead of creating these cliffhangers but I guess it would be worse for sales and require more advance planning

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Is there a good resource out there with a list of Housing Items and where to find/craft them? I just dumped my leveling gold on an apartment and I should probably do something with it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
For those of you who use ff14angler.com to help you fish, can you tell me what the hell this part means?

Is there some kind of trick that can help me get the fish I want now?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LordHippoman posted:

Is there a good resource out there with a list of Housing Items and where to find/craft them? I just dumped my leveling gold on an apartment and I should probably do something with it.

I like this site: http://en.ff14housing.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos is a better villain than elf-pope.

Neither of them are villains worth a poo poo tbh.

Edit: Realtalk; this game is loving trash at making good characters. The only character that's conventionally good in any sense of the word is Alphinaud. Everyone else is a 1 note trope that hasn't developed at all in the now 4 years of playing this game, including the one who just starred throughout an entire expansion.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 13, 2017