Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jerry sitting out in the forest smoking weed and watching low rent conspiracy youtube is the only and best direction he could have travelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

JBP posted:

I thought they were asleep :gbsmith:

They sleep with the angels now

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The cop brother with the goofy laugh is one of the nazis in Green Room.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Jerusalem posted:

A note from Major Briggs reads,"Jerry Horne will be there. I have no idea why or what he is doing though."
"Jerry Horne will also be present, for what reason I cannot determine. I am however, troubled regarding his well being and would advise that you assist him as you are able."

That's the impression I get from Briggs, that's he's constantly mindful and concerned about everyone he interacts with. Sort of like an Omnidad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really think it's interesting in episode 9 that as horribly mutilated as Garland's body is, or how dark the comedy of Albert flirting with a woman over the dude's remains are, his actual values and general positivity are still held up as worthwhile and noble. The scene with Bobby and his mother talking about how Garland never stopped believing in him is genuinely moving.

He hangs over the series in a strangely warm way.

EDIT: Like a lesser version of this show would have used how terrible Briggs' death was as a rebuke of his values.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 12, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
brigg's death was faked, nothing to do with twin peaks, he was just needed to run the stargate program and once while resting his head in the stargate someone unplugged it...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I like the idea that Dougie was Garland's severed head.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just got caught up on the thread. The only person I know in real life that watches this is my wife and she is uh....not super thrilled about this season (she's in the "Hurry up, Coop" camp but I love her anyway).

I sat up and said "AUDREY!" when Coop saw the red shoes. I know it wasn't Audrey, but it was just one more visual clue for the old Coop. Anyway, love the show and love the discussion here. What a time to be alive.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baloogan posted:

brigg's death was faked, nothing to do with twin peaks, he was just needed to run the stargate program and once while resting his head in the stargate someone unplugged it...

BOB is a goa'uld lord, he put hammond's head through the stargate and closed it

it all fits, the head is currently on chulak

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the black lodge is a pyramid ship

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the white lodge is the base of the tok'ra

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Two things I noticed and didn't see posted recently:

First, when Roy shoots Bad Coop, there are two shots. The second shot is a repeat of the first; the film goes back about a fourth of a second and loops the gunshot. When Bad Coop shots off the wound to the woman at the farm, there's only one bullet hole. This is only really significant in confirming other noticed fluctuations with time where Bad Coop and his machinations are concerned. Maybe it's more important because the time-altering effects are extending out from him and the things he made (like Sonny Jim, perhaps) and affecting those around him. It's kind of like the gunshot was a record scratch of the localized area, or deja vu in the Matrix sense. The act of shooting Bad Coop was what let the sootmen in, but it's not the gun or the user who is special.

Here's a clip, I couldn't find a clean one but this is time coded to 1:10, the relevant moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBSQqHDLmK4&t=70s

Second, I think we've seen the image on Bad Coop's ace of spades before. It looks like the owl cave symbol, which could be a sort of primitive representation of Mother/Experiment. The owl cave symbol is also shown in the series facing both directions, as it's pointing down on the map but pointing up in its "correct" configuration within the cave. This could refer to the line "sometimes my arms bend backwards" that Laura says in the beginning of the season. Some of this is more tenuous than others, fair, but I can't stop seeing the resemblance between the card and the symbol.

Few pages ago, but I always just assumed the owl cave symbol is meant to be the shape of an owl flying directly at the viewer, like this basically:

I never really considered it being something else, so that's interesting (and of course it might be a deliberately abstract symbol in order to represent multiple things).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Few pages ago, but I always just assumed the owl cave symbol is meant to be the shape of an owl flying directly at the viewer, like this basically:

I never really considered it being something else, so that's interesting (and of course it might be a deliberately abstract symbol in order to represent multiple things).

*clears throat*

"The owls are not what they seem."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what drove them to make that connection.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Does anyone remember when Cooper stopped talking to Diane via tape in the original run? I don't know why I was thinking of that, but I can't really remember when they stopped.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
its an interesting coincidence that just like Hammond did in the '1969' episode in Stargate, Briggs too is holding out on giving people information until exactly the right moment.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Prediction time! When Dougie finally meets Cole and the others, all the little quirks he's remembered (coffee, thumbs up etc.) will be the evidence they need to recognise him as the legit Cooper, as opposed to the doppleganger's empty attempts. It all comes together in a big realisation scene. Then, just to make it bittersweet, Janey-E goes all squirrel from Sword in the Stone

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a very, yrev cleverly multi-layered symbol. I agree about the stylized owl interpretation but I also always saw it as being a void situated between two peaks. In the filled in version it's a black void and in the outline version it's a white void. And now it has another layer of potential meaning if it does represent the Mother/experiment figure as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Raxivace posted:

I really think it's interesting in episode 9 that as horribly mutilated as Garland's body is, or how dark the comedy of Albert flirting with a woman over the dude's remains are, his actual values and general positivity are still held up as worthwhile and noble. The scene with Bobby and his mother talking about how Garland never stopped believing in him is genuinely moving.

EDIT: Like a lesser version of this show would have used how terrible Briggs' death was as a rebuke of his values.

The scene in the original series when Briggs tells Bobby about his dream that everything was going to be okay is maybe my favorite in the series, and the fact that Bobby has really seems to have borne that out since then is really touching.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Raxivace posted:

This has been one of my favorite things about this season, that Briggs still feels like such a big part of it. It says a lot about how great his performance was all those years ago that now all we get is a shot of his floating head, him saying "blue rose", and some references to him from others, and yet it still feels like he's right there in the thick of it :kimchi:

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

General Dog posted:

The scene in the original series when Briggs tells Bobby about his dream that everything was going to be okay is maybe my favorite in the series, and the fact that Bobby has really seems to have borne that out since then is really touching.

That scene got me choked up both times I watched it (many years apart) and I'm glad ep 9 referenced Major Briggs having faith in Bobby again. Almost got me choked up again Lynch!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHeWmHTGzQ

That scene was an eerie moment when I watched the original series properly, listened a lot to this album around 2000.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVJnvWd1K0

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cromulent posted:

Does anyone remember when Cooper stopped talking to Diane via tape in the original run? I don't know why I was thinking of that, but I can't really remember when they stopped.

I believe that the audiobook of Cooper's tapes ends with the first episode of S2 but I don't remember him using it after that.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DrVenkman posted:

I believe that the audiobook of Cooper's tapes ends with the first episode of S2 but I don't remember him using it after that.

Cooper talks to Diane as late as episode 28 Miss Twin Peaks.

COOPER: Diane, at this particular juncture I would like to make specific mention of Annie Blackburn. She is a completely original human being; her responses as pure as those of a child's. I must be honest, I haven't felt this way about a woman since Caroline. It has taken meeting Annie for me to realize how gray my life has been since Caroline's death; how cold, solitary."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Huh, I guess it just got more infrequent during S2. Also, he was suspended/wearing flannel for a portion of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I keep expecting Dougie to say drat good coffee or similar after all these pregnant pauses. They even dressed him up like Cooper to go see the cops.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Gosh darn enjoyable caffeine" - Mr Jackpots, Twin Peaks, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I keep expecting Dougie to say drat good coffee or similar after all these pregnant pauses. They even dressed him up like Cooper to go see the cops.

That suit is the only thing he owns that fits him right now, I think.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I somehow missed this but Denise's assistant or whatever was played by loving Richard Chamberlain.

"How's Martha?"
"She's fine, thank you Gordon"
"She ever fix that thing with Paul?"
"Ah, yes, yes yes, It's good of you to remember. Paul is now in the North Pole"
"Well there you go!"

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
dougie-coop repeats "drat good joe" after camera guy gives him frank's coffee

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LawfulWaffle posted:

Second, I think we've seen the image on Bad Coop's ace of spades before. It looks like the owl cave symbol, which could be a sort of primitive representation of Mother/Experiment. The owl cave symbol is also shown in the series facing both directions, as it's pointing down on the map but pointing up in its "correct" configuration within the cave. This could refer to the line "sometimes my arms bend backwards" that Laura says in the beginning of the season. Some of this is more tenuous than others, fair, but I can't stop seeing the resemblance between the card and the symbol.

From Secret History of Twin Peaks:

Space Owls

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

JBP posted:

He was dressed like that the previous day at work when he got attacked, as well :eng101:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mraagvpeine posted:

I told some people I liked Twin Peaks and they said I should check out the shows Fortitude and Carnivale. Would you recommend them?

Sorry, this is from a while back, but I think a lot of people who like Twin Peaks would like Fortitude. At least the first season (I haven't watched the second yet.)

It's definitely not the same thing at all, but as "It's like Twin Peaks" shows go I feel like it's the closest, and it has a lot of similar elements: small isolated town where everyone seems to have a secret, a mysterious murder, local cops out of their depths, outside lawman brought in to figure it all out, strange spiritual/occult/paranormal things. It is a lot more serious drama, and doesn't really have any of the lighter moments of Twin Peaks. It has some good performances and does a good job of keeping you guessing about what is really going on (or at least it did me, but it could be that I am just easily hoodwinked.) I think you can get a good sense if it's your thing or not within the first 2-4 episodes.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm making my way through season 2 of Fortitude now and I would describe it as Broadchurch meets Twin Peaks meets John Carpenters The Thing (more the setting) with a bit of X-Files plots thrown in.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 13, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gatekeeper posted:

This has been one of my favorite things about this season, that Briggs still feels like such a big part of it. It says a lot about how great his performance was all those years ago that now all we get is a shot of his floating head, him saying "blue rose", and some references to him from others, and yet it still feels like he's right there in the thick of it :kimchi:

It is really nice and that scene of Bobby learning his father really did fully believe in him and knew that he would turn out okay is incredibly sweet :)

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I told some people I liked Twin Peaks and they said I should check out the shows Fortitude and Carnivale. Would you recommend them?

Carnivale season 1 has a pretty similar feel to episode 8 specifically, I think. Both have an eerie twist on vintage eras that are really captivating, but Carnivale spreads it out over a longer time and 'grounds' it with a religious/mythical element.

Basically I reckon:

Carnivale = :raise: :munch:

Twin Peaks = :stonklol:

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Also Gravity Falls, which is like Twin Peaks for kids except for the lack of dead Homecoming Queens.