Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Eh, for me it's a personal goal. But communications degrees are everywhere too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I still wonder if I'm stunting myself by not pursuing a masters. I mean I'm already 30 and don't feel like taking out loans for a piece of paper.
I didn't get my masters until I was 34. I thought I'd be done but here I am working on another. Personally, I think they're a lot easier to do than undergrad since you don't have to take so many bullshit courses.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I didn't get my masters until I was 34. I thought I'd be done but here I am working on another. Personally, I think they're a lot easier to do than undergrad since you don't have to take so many bullshit courses.

That's really what I'm looking forward to. I have to take a math class that's a prerequisite to the actual math class that gives you credit. Despite already taking a math class for my other degree (didn't transfer). So 3 classes, 1 credit for math. gently caress math (with letters)

There are some classes I can't wait to take because it's like, I know how to make a documentary guys. Please do not force me to sit in class and listen to what a non-narrative is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can you test out of it? I've attended three colleges in my life and they've all offered options to test out of lower level courses.

Last time I tried it I failed the fermi portion. I didn't even know what the gently caress a fermi problem was.

"How many forks get washed in the cafeteria every day?"

How is this even math???

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I don't think I can overstate how much I'm dreading this summer Applied Algebra & Trig class. Pretty much planning on a standing appointment with the tutors on campus, on top of a steady IV drip of Khan Academy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

TBeats posted:

Can you test out of it? I've attended three colleges in my life and they've all offered options to test out of lower level courses.

Last time I tried it I failed the fermi portion. I didn't even know what the gently caress a fermi problem was.

"How many forks get washed in the cafeteria every day?"

How is this even math???
Fermi problems are estimations and are more an exercise in logic than what most people think of as "math." By using rough figures and assumptions (usually educated guesses but may be pulled out of your rear end), you can get a ballpark estimate for some figure that you'd like to know. These may be pointless estimations, such as how many ping pong balls can fit in an aircraft carrier, or they might be a little more practical, such as how many ping pong balls would it take to float a bus. They're intended to be a quick and easy way to get a reasonably accurate estimate of something without resorting to computers and engineers and physicists and... you get the idea. Easy like done on a coffee shop napkin easy.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

Fermi problems are estimations and are more an exercise in logic than what most people think of as "math." By using rough figures and assumptions (usually educated guesses but may be pulled out of your rear end), you can get a ballpark estimate for some figure that you'd like to know. These may be pointless estimations, such as how many ping pong balls can fit in an aircraft carrier, or they might be a little more practical, such as how many ping pong balls would it take to float a bus. They're intended to be a quick and easy way to get a reasonably accurate estimate of something without resorting to computers and engineers and physicists and... you get the idea. Easy like done on a coffee shop napkin easy.

Yeah after learning what they were I find them pretty easy. But I didn't even know such a thing existed when I went to test out of that class, so when you're expecting y=mx+b and you get "how many hairs are on an average human's head" it feels like you're getting sandbagged.

I learned that you can be off by an astronomical number but as long as you explain your thought process in as much detail as possible, you'll be alright (at least that's how my professor was).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The one that gets me are the round robin questions.

Like how many games would a group of 6 teams play if they play each other twice.

Besides counting that poo poo out by hand I forget how to do it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You guys wondering about paying for stuff: you're doing FAFSA every year right? Bennies aren't taxable income and if you're living off the GI Bill your income should be pitiful enough to qualify for full Pell grants. Save that grant money to pay for the cost of living/housing/tuition once your bennies run out, depending on your school it should be enough to at least only make you worry about what to eat, and not being homeless.

I'm doing some high-paying internships this year though so the days of grant monies are probably over for me. If you plan things out smart enough I bet you could stretch grants and the GI bill to pay all the way up to a Master's if not scratch into a PhD.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 11, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Justin Tyme posted:

You guys wondering about paying for stuff: you're doing FAFSA every year right? Bennies aren't taxable income and if you're living off the GI Bill your income should be pitiful enough to qualify for full Pell grants. Save that grant money to pay for the cost of living/housing/tuition once your bennies run out, depending on your school it should be enough to at least only make you worry about what to eat, and not being homeless.

I'm doing some high-paying internships this year though so the days of grant monies are probably over for me. If you plan things out smart enough I bet you could stretch grants and the GI bill to pay all the way up to a Master's if not scratch into a PhD.

It's worth pointing out that for our purposes, Pell Grants ARE considered taxable income for those of us not using them to pay for tuition and books. Pell Grant money that is not used for qualifying educational expenses is considered taxable income.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

McNally posted:

It's worth pointing out that for our purposes, Pell Grants ARE considered taxable income for those of us not using them to pay for tuition and books. Pell Grant money that is not used for qualifying educational expenses is considered taxable income.

you only have to file a tax return if you gross $10,350 in 2016 (not sure about before). so if a pell grant is your only source of taxable income, you're covered unless you're getting waaaaaaaaay more than i am.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pell grants are for first time undergrad degree seekers. They're not an option for me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cowboy elvis posted:

Pell grants are for first time undergrad degree seekers. They're not an option for me

Same. I did still get a few grants from the school here and there but that's it. Like one december the school had an endowment to pay BAH rate for a number of their vets so I got a grand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On a slightly different note, I'm not sure what I should pursue for another graduate degree or whether I should get another bachelors first.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

you only have to file a tax return if you gross $10,350 in 2016 (not sure about before). so if a pell grant is your only source of taxable income, you're covered unless you're getting waaaaaaaaay more than i am.

I'm also getting a taxable annuity from DOD as a surviving spouse.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

On a slightly different note, I'm not sure what I should pursue for another graduate degree or whether I should get another bachelors first.

Getting a second bachelor's instead of pursuing a masters is the "enlisting with a degree" of the collegiate world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It would only be in prep for the grad degree. Like i would essentially need enough math classes to finish a math BS before i could do economics PHD for example.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
So I applied for financial aid through my school. The awards letter came through and I have a huge grant that is significantly larger then the Pell Grant. The Pell grant is around 5k for the year. My school is giving me 12k for the year as some sort of Undergrad grant. That feels like to much money and I'm wondering if I should talk to the financial aid office to make sure I'm actually entitled to the money.

E: this is on top of my Voc Rehab benefits too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If your GI Bill doesn't cover all of your tuition then some schools will give grants to cover the rest. My tuition is about $18k more than the yearly allowance for GI Bill but the school (a private school) gives me grants to cover the rest, as well as pell grants. The grant money to cover tuition is money that I actually never see.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just because the school is giving you money doesn't mean it's paid out to you. Could be tuition-restricted money.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Getting a second bachelor's instead of pursuing a masters is the "enlisting with a degree" of the collegiate world.

I did both lol

Enlisted as a corpsman with a sociology degree a couple days after the 2008 collapse, got out and got a biochem second bachelors to get into Med school. It worked out ok though, I'm pretty happy with both those decisions actually*. Medicine rules.

*other than the original social science BA, which was dumb and useless

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

In some cases it's useful. I am still waiting on word for my scholarship so I can take extra art classes (it's therapeutic as hell) and get a double bachelors in visual arts and communications. I still want a masters but having two bachelors would be good if you are in a super diverse field where everyone is pigeonholed into doing one thing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The only two people I know who double majored couldnt find work in their chosen fields of study.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Im a double major but only because it's like three more classes to get that second one, and I can use those classes to fill elective reqs for the first one. So I said gently caress it, why get one when it's really no sweat to get two?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Actually, I enlisted with a degree too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The only two people I know who double majored couldnt find work in their chosen fields of study.

What fields of study?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

What fields of study?

Sociology/political science and nutrition/kinestesiology or some poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I double majored. One was a social science, the other was the more lucrative GIS degree which is what I'm doing now. I'm pretty happy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sociology/political science and nutrition/kinestesiology or some poo poo.

They don't have anything to do with each other though. If they were related I am sure they would make a difference. Like double majoring in real estate and economics or some poo poo.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soulex posted:

They don't have anything to do with each other though. If they were related I am sure they would make a difference. Like double majoring in real estate and economics or some poo poo.

But they do? Add a kinesio masters, slap a couple NSCA certs on, and you've got a recipe for some very lucrative work with pro sports teams.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

timma85 posted:

So I applied for financial aid through my school. The awards letter came through and I have a huge grant that is significantly larger then the Pell Grant. The Pell grant is around 5k for the year. My school is giving me 12k for the year as some sort of Undergrad grant. That feels like to much money and I'm wondering if I should talk to the financial aid office to make sure I'm actually entitled to the money.

E: this is on top of my Voc Rehab benefits too.
You should check with financial aid.

It sounded too good to be true when I first saw the grants offered to me, but I asked FA about it and the school actually did pay them out directly to me after they had received full tuition payment from the VA.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

But they do? Add a kinesio masters, slap a couple NSCA certs on, and you've got a recipe for some very lucrative work with pro sports teams.

Didn't think about it that way. My advisors seem to think it's a smart move for what I'm doing at least.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller with a quick question. Is the National Society of Collegiate Scholars worth joining? At first I suspected it was a scam, but after some research it looks legit. I assume it is like Phi Theta Kappa for big boy college? I did pay for PTK even though I haven't got anything out of it and left community college already. It's only a hundred bucks and I think I can maintain the GPA required for it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any interactions with them. Thanks!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Naked Bear posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A FIFTY PAGE REPORT ONTO THE DEAN OF STUDENTS DESK. ITS THE CHRONICLES OF MY CLASSMATES CHEATING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DESCRIBING THEIR MISCHIEF WHILE THAT HIPPIE PROFESSOR LOOKS THE OTHER WAY. I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE AND I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE IN DETAIL. MAKIN ALARM SOUNDS WHEN I SHOW VIDEO OF ME CATCHING THEM OR EVEN WHEN I REPORT THEM TO THE PROFESSOR. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY STRICTLY ENFORCED ACADEMIC INTEGRITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TRICKS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL MORE RELEVANT BY STUDYING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I post about it.

Just a reminder of the realty of college.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well in stupid student news, I quit my job today and have a month and a half until Law school starts up. Gonna hit a lengthy camping trip on my way out west and maybe ask for my gf to marry me. I figure listless and unemployed is as good a way to kick things off as any

I'm out west for summer work and will be road tripping back east in august.

Casimir Radon posted:

I double majored. One was a social science, the other was the more lucrative GIS degree which is what I'm doing now. I'm pretty happy.

Just as an aside North Korea open source intel Is like 50% GIS and personal experience.

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
I have a question regarding PELL grants and financial aid. I medically retired in January 2016. My only income is from the VA disability. I filled for income adjustment at my schools FA office to see if I am eligible for any PELL grants. At first I didn't claim my disability payments, but then they asked and said for FA I need to claim all income. Is this correct?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mister Man posted:

I have a question regarding PELL grants and financial aid. I medically retired in January 2016. My only income is from the VA disability. I filled for income adjustment at my schools FA office to see if I am eligible for any PELL grants. At first I didn't claim my disability payments, but then they asked and said for FA I need to claim all income. Is this correct?

Disability isn't income as far as I'm aware. Also be mindful that you'll most likely need to file a loss of income appeal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I included my disability compensation on my schools financial aid sheet and still got all the grant money that fafsa said I was eligible for.

YMMV because I don't know if this is standard across the board. I also go to a private school so I don't know if there's a difference between public and private as far as financial aid goes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mister Man posted:

Pell, not PELL. It's not an acronym. It's named after a dude named Pell.

When you say VA disability, do you mean VA compensation? There are an assortment of types of things the VA can pay out and most are tax-free entitlements that do not count as income. You definitely need to get your FA office to adjust your income if you just got out, but you shouldn't have a problem getting grants because of income if you're a first time degree seeker.

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pell, not PELL. It's not an acronym. It's named after a dude named Pell.

When you say VA disability, do you mean VA compensation? There are an assortment of types of things the VA can pay out and most are tax-free entitlements that do not count as income. You definitely need to get your FA office to adjust your income if you just got out, but you shouldn't have a problem getting grants because of income if you're a first time degree seeker.

Yes VA compensation.

I did an income adjustment but they claimed that I made too much to qualify for Pell grants, because of my compensation I was receiving from the VA. Also yes this is my first degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mister Man posted:

Yes VA compensation.

I did an income adjustment but they claimed that I made too much to qualify for Pell grants, because of my compensation I was receiving from the VA. Also yes this is my first degree.

You need to talk to them again, because your VA compensation is not income and should not be treated as such.