Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

So it is plainly a kids show?

Funny how the audience seems so different in the rest of the world.

Yeah. I'm not sure how old they expect the audience to be, but Super Sentai is aimed at preschoolers and it airs around that time slot. It's why you don't really see the blood and stuff from DBZ and Dragon Ball, except in the most comical and exaggerated of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Black August posted:

I understand that the manga sucks but I like it anyways just to see an alternate take on the Super timeline, and who might end up being the 10 in the Tournament of Power compared to the show.

I'm gonna imagine the U7 roster was one of the things Toriyama provided, but we'll probably get 60-ish different characters for the other universes.

khwarezm posted:

Is it? I thought we all grew up watching Dragon Ball as kids here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Black August posted:

I understand that the manga sucks but I like it anyways just to see an alternate take on the Super timeline, and who might end up being the 10 in the Tournament of Power compared to the show.

"and introducing the final member of universe 7's team... bojack!"

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

So it is plainly a kids show?

He said kids and adult nerds. Seems pretty consistent with the rest of the world to me.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Burkion posted:

Kids and adult nerds mostly

It airs super early in the morning opposite Pokemon and Super Sentai

That's why all the blood is gone for instance

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a cartoon duck posted:

Is it? I thought we all grew up watching Dragon Ball as kids here.

DBZ really seemed like something I shouldn't be watching when I was a kid, but I don't think many kids in America or Europe would be watching Super would they? Isn't it on late on Adult Swim normally?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

khwarezm posted:

DBZ really seemed like something I shouldn't be watching when I was a kid, but I don't think many kids in America or Europe would be watching Super would they? Isn't it on late on Adult Swim normally?

It airs like 8 at night then has an encore on Toonami.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If the dragon ball elimination order thing is true then piccolo is eliminated before loving roshi, I refuse to accept it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I keep hearing how the US basically got DBZ first and the original series is basically an afterthought so I guess I can see why. In Germany at least we got the original series first and that kinda cements it as a kids' show more than anything in my memory.

Also the age of TV channels just taking some random Japanese cartoons and just dubbing them over quick-and-dirty to put them in the children's time slot is over, so the only people outside Japan who're gonna watch Super are the ones who watched Dragon Ball as a child, so it's no wonder it's mostly adults talking about it over here.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

Japan has different standards for what's acceptable for kids than the US. All sorts of stuff that would never fly on Cartoon Network's daytime programming makes it into Japanese kids shows. Remember that the original Dragon Ball manga, which had full on boob shots, was marketed towards tweens.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I thought that Japan was pretty buttoned up about violence, but DBZ was far and away the most violent thing that was available to me as a kid in Ireland. Stuff like Frieza cutting himself in half or Videl getting the poo poo kicked out of her, nothing really compared.

Not to mention people dying constantly.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

I thought that Japan was pretty buttoned up about violence, but DBZ was far and away the most violent thing that was available to me as a kid in Ireland. Stuff like Frieza cutting himself in half or Videl getting the poo poo kicked out of her, nothing really compared.

Not to mention people dying constantly.

I think they got away with it because they never got too explicit. Freeza got cut in half, yes, but they sort of went for a Tom and Jerry deal rather than showing his guts spilling out. Plus, violence never had any real, lasting consequences. Every injury could be healed with a senzu bean, and every dead person could be wished back.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

If the dragon ball elimination order thing is true then piccolo is eliminated before loving roshi, I refuse to accept it

going to be eliminated trying to save gohan

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

"and introducing the final member of universe 7's team... bojack!"

"and now three volumes just about Bojack!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they censored the blood out but that was abut it. goku getting a hole punched through his chest and dying was still way more explicit than anything I can think of in a western cartoon. usually any real violence was against robots or aliens or w/e, like the pilot episode of samurai jack. compare that to the saiyan saga where nappa kills half the cast before being killed by vegeta

come to think of it, I can't think of any western examples of cartoons that get really bloody or kill people. usually the stuff aimed at an older audience are comedies, like adult swim's lineup

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

khwarezm posted:

It's not an universal rule but assume that any anime that is popular in the western market is not so popular in Japan, and vice versa.

Dragon Ball, Bleach, Naruto are basic examples of this.

Saint Seiya is a particularly interesting case.

The original run and Lost Canvas had very poor reception in Japan and a good reception in the west (poor in USA but very good reception in South America and Europe)

Omega on the other hand had a really good reception in Japan spawning 2 seasons whereas the western market hoped it died in a pile of trash and blamed it for Lost Canvas getting cancelled, despite this argument not making any sense at all.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they censored the blood out but that was abut it. goku getting a hole punched through his chest and dying was still way more explicit than anything I can think of in a western cartoon. usually any real violence was against robots or aliens or w/e, like the pilot episode of samurai jack. compare that to the saiyan saga where nappa kills half the cast before being killed by vegeta

And this is also one of the reasons why Saint Seiya never flew all too much in the USA. Due to it's protagonists excessive hemorrage when getting hit, the show was heavily censored the first time around it aired, to the point that they removed a scene where the villain of the episode got punched through and impaled by a thousand chains, and moved to the next scene where they commented how the police arrested him offscreen

It never even made it to Scorpio's episode, and boy was that one hosed up.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 12, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

It's not an universal rule but assume that any anime that is popular in the western market is not so popular in Japan, and vice versa.

Dragon Ball, Bleach, Naruto are basic examples of this.

:thunk:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't naruto one of the most popular shonen jump titles for the duration of its existence

I'll give you bleach tho

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
They were, but never to the level of popularity they achieved in the rest of the world.

Can't speak much about Naruto cause I never followed it, but Bleach in particular kept running on exhaust fumes for 2 years mostly due to it's western audience.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't naruto one of the most popular shonen jump titles for the duration of its existence

I'll give you bleach tho

Yes Naruto, Dragonball, One Piece are like the power team of shonen

lezard_valeth posted:

They were, but never to the level of popularity they achieved in the rest of the world.

Can't speak much about Naruto cause I never followed it, but Bleach in particular kept running on exhaust fumes for 2 years mostly due to it's western audience.

Naruto was stupid popular here

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Raserys posted:

I'm actually okay with Krillin and him being the first to get eliminated since even though they haven't been up and infront of the stage, they've always have a constant participation in every Dragon ball arc, whereas the other characters are making their comeback debute on the Tournament (sans Frieza)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't think this is true. where are you getting this from?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

So like do you mean newer Dragon Ball anime like Super or what because I'm going to assume unless you have some facts or something that you're talking out of your rear end, and we didn't even get Super subbed officially in English until 50 episodes in.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

come to think of it, I can't think of any western examples of cartoons that get really bloody or kill people. usually the stuff aimed at an older audience are comedies, like adult swim's lineup

During the 90s there were a few more experimental shows on channels like MTV that could get a bit more violent. HBO had a Spawn TV show that was all blood and guts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tien sucks and he should go first.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If Piccolo goes early it means there probably won't be any Piccolo/17 combo moments and if that's the case then gently caress the tournament.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Nobody ever stays in touch in the Dragon Ball universe and that really bugs me for some reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every time they get together, someone tries to kill one or all of them

Caros
May 14, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

I really hope Toyotaro remembers his "Trunks is a medic" bullshit come the Tournament of Power arc, cause by his own asspull Gohan is also a medic now making U7 unstoppable.

No he isn't. The manga is actually really explicit that the process to becoming the disciple of a supreme kai involves a stupid three hour dance similar to, but distinct from, the unlocking potential dance the Grand Kai uses on Gohan.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The most ridiculous part of that is how once someone advances past being a disciple they actually lose that power. Like what? How does that make any sense?

Caros
May 14, 2008

TrilliontonNixon posted:

The most ridiculous part of that is how once someone advances past being a disciple they actually lose that power. Like what? How does that make any sense?

Considering the gods are intelligently designed, it could be as simple as something intended to limit their power. Same reason Kaioshin get access to Kai Kai teleport while Beerus has to take the slow road FTL.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caros posted:

No he isn't. The manga is actually really explicit that the process to becoming the disciple of a supreme kai involves a stupid three hour dance similar to, but distinct from, the unlocking potential dance the Grand Kai uses on Gohan.

No it isn't. It literally just says that Trunks went through a long-rear end dance to get that power. It's pretty blatantly meant to make you think of the same Gohan underwent, because Toyotaro for all his flaws has near-perfect memory of everything that happened in the series (much unlike Toriyama himself). If that genuinely doesn't pay off and Gohan doesn't show healing powers I'll be really disappointed, because it means Toyotaro can't even make his asspulls consistent.

Black August posted:

Considering how the manga works? It'll be just Goku. That'll be all U7 needs.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Caros posted:

Considering the gods are intelligently designed, it could be as simple as something intended to limit their power. Same reason Kaioshin get access to Kai Kai teleport while Beerus has to take the slow road FTL.

Though considering Gowasu and Shin are bad at their job, it could be that Kaioshin are supposed to be able to heal and they're just too donkey brained to know how.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

khwarezm posted:

During the 90s there were a few more experimental shows on channels like MTV that could get a bit more violent. HBO had a Spawn TV show that was all blood and guts.

And shows like Mighty Max and Gargoyles in the 90s had important character deaths too, for things that aired specifically to kids.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

U7 Manga Lineup: Goku, Turles, Bardock, Kid Goku, Goku Black, Vegito, Gogeta, Cell, Goten, Fused Zamasu,Buu (Goku Absorbed)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

No it isn't. It literally just says that Trunks went through a long-rear end dance to get that power. It's pretty blatantly meant to make you think of the same Gohan underwent, because Toyotaro for all his flaws has near-perfect memory of everything that happened in the series (much unlike Toriyama himself). If that genuinely doesn't pay off and Gohan doesn't show healing powers I'll be really disappointed, because it means Toyotaro can't even make his asspulls consistent.

Except that with his encyclopedic knowledge he'd probably also known that Shin is an idiot who doesn't have the slightest idea how to unlock potential, as evidenced by the fact that he freaked the hell out when Elder Kai said he could do it. And he'd probably also have the same knowledge that shows that the end result of Unlock Potential, is, ya know, unlocked potential. Trunks didn't show off any mystic form or anything else. Its way more likely that the Kaio-shin do things via ceremonial dances than that Trunks got the same powerup as gohan yet struggled against frickin Dabura.

quote:

Though considering Gowasu and Shin are bad at their job, it could be that Kaioshin are supposed to be able to heal and they're just too donkey brained to know how.

Also entirely true. Shin does suggest it is a power he lost when he became Supreme Kai however, and Gowasu seems reasonably on the ball about his own power set, at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think this is true. where are you getting this from?

In his imagination

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, I don't think manga or anime run much on western audience until recently, and if you somehow missed how big Naruto was, you are really not following trends closely enough to comment on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mordaedil posted:

Seriously, I don't think manga or anime run much on western audience until recently, and if you somehow missed how big Naruto was, you are really not following trends closely enough to comment on it.

I still remember all those people who decided to wear their headbands to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

I still remember all those people who decided to wear their headbands to school.
We had those people at my school too.

...poo poo, maybe we really are the same person after all.

• Locked thread