Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Argas posted:

Yeah, there's definitely some pacing issues. To sum it up, the 4.0 story feels the right length, but the... let's say, three segments of the story feel like the first and third needed to be longer. As is, they both feel seriously off for a variety of reasons. But if they were longer, the 4.0 story as a whole would feel waaaaay too long.

Personally I think the whole "we need to drop everything and go liberate Doma with like 3 people" segue made very little sense and disrupted the pacing greatly. I guess I can understand that they wanted Ala Mhigo to be the climax, but it just didn't work at all, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clarste posted:

Personally I think the whole "we need to drop everything and go liberate Doma with like 3 people" segue made very little sense and disrupted the pacing greatly. I guess I can understand that they wanted Ala Mhigo to be the climax, but it just didn't work at all, imo.

I've a lot of issues with that arc but its overall its length felt right. You got to do the right amount of stuff (not necessarily in each zone) and it felt like it ended when it should've.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

Alisaie is a trash character and you completely missed my point. Like yeah, I like Alisaie, she is a likable character and Alphinaud isn't as affable but being likable doesn't make her a good character at loving all. She is, "The brash youth who wants to cut through the bullshit to get poo poo done." and has absolutely no other aspects to her character. None. 0. That is her entire existence. She functions as a tool to throw at a plotpoint when cutting through the bullshit is what's needed and otherwise has no relevance.
...I mean, I wasn't really seriously arguing that Alphinaud was a terrible character (I agree he's gone through a lot of character development and I'll take him over e.g. Tataru any day), but I don't recognize this description of Alisaie at all. For one thing she isn't even the brash character in the expansion, that's Lyse. For another she has a whole bunch of character traits, e.g. her relationship with Alphinaud and her sarcastic comments (including some of the best lines in the expansion) and her hatred of the primals for exploiting people's hopes (which started as a result of the events of the Binding Coil, carried through the Ga Bu saga in the 3.x quests, and heavily influences her reaction to Lakshmi in the Stormblood MSQ) and her struggle to come to terms with her grandfather's legacy (which she approaches totally differently than her brother does) and her weird part-mentor part-romantic relationship with Urianger. Maybe some of this isn't as apparent if you've never done the Binding Coil, but I don't understand how you could miss picking up on all of it to the extent you concluded Alisaie's only character trait is wanting to cut through bullshit.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 13, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Farg posted:

Y'know, speaking of how strong the WoL is and how they could basically just tell anyone to shut the gently caress up and listen tho them, I wonder if they will ever do much with the elementals of gridania, which are canonically huge assholes and let people die or refuse to let conjurers heal people because They Said So

like, the WoL kills uber-primals for sport. I think they could probably just plant their axe in that big tree in central shroud and go "come at me motherfucker" and the elementals wouldn't really have any response

The Scions/WoL generally have a "gently caress y'all, not our problem" attitude towards dealing with rear end in a top hat entities that AREN'T draining the land of aether and/or Garlean.

See the Monetarists.

or the Bloody Executioners.

or the Coeurlclaws.

or the Redbelly bandits.

I'm sure there's tons of other examples.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well the Scions aren't cops. More like special forces. And really only the Primals and Ascians fall under special. The Garleans only keep ending up on our radar because they keep dicking around with the aforementioned groups. And then we fight them in Stormblood because our buddy Lyse asked us to handle that for her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

her weird part-mentor part-romantic relationship with Urianger

I, uh, can't say I ever picked up on that one.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I, uh, can't say I ever picked up on that one.

The romantic part is basically only on Urianger's part, it's pretty creepy.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 13, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
urianger calls her "my lady" but he calls literally all the female characters that

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I think part of the pacing issues were caused by you doing half of the Fringes and Peaks at the start, then doing 3 whole zones in the east, then come back and finish off the other half of those first two zones as well as the Lochs.

Maybe it wouldn't have felt so rushed if we did all of Doma first, then do all of Ala Mhigo instead of sticking the Doma story right in the middle.

Also, when is Urianger getting a new outfit? he's the only one walking around in his old rags now.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 13, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Urianger can't get a new outfit because he's too sexy without his hood, it would be too distracting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

The romantic part is basically only on Urianger's part, it's pretty creepy.

EDIT: I mean, maybe I'm only just picking up on Urianger always referring to Alisae as "my lady", but I definitely parsed their interactions in the 3.x plotline and in Stormblood re the

Literally everything Urianger does is weird and creepy, but not in that way.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

urianger calls her "my lady" but he calls literally all the female characters that

Hmm, maybe it's just this. Definitely parsed their interactions in 3.x (where Urianger seemed more ashamed of deceiving Alisaie than the rest of the Scions re the Warriors of Darkness stuff) and when he shows up abruptly to hand over the aetherial siphon in Stormblood that way. But hiking back to the Waking Sands I see that it's Moenbryda he refers to as "my dearest", so maybe not.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

jalapeno_dude posted:

Hmm, maybe it's just this. Definitely parsed their interactions in 3.x (where Urianger seemed more ashamed of deceiving Alisaie than the rest of the Scions re the Warriors of Darkness stuff) and around the aetherial siphon stuff in Stormblood that way. But hiking back to the Waking Sands I see that it's Moenbryda he refers to as "my dearest", so maybe not.

I think he cares about Alisaie personally, but that doesn't mean he has a romantic interest in the sixteen year old elf girl. Considering he was buds with Louisoix, he probably knew the twins when they were much younger, and likely feels some personal responsibility to them from a "They're my dead friend's children, I need to take care of them for him" perspective more than anything.

And yeah he definitely had romantic interest in Moenbryda and it was (slightly creepily) deeply apparent, and very creepily apparent in the wind-up Moenbryda's description. :gonk:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Argas posted:

I've a lot of issues with that arc but its overall its length felt right. You got to do the right amount of stuff (not necessarily in each zone) and it felt like it ended when it should've.

I agree with this. Also I feel that Doma is more a 'proof of concept' type endeavor coupled with getting stronger via experience. Fundamentally it's main point is 'ok we were on the right track with this revolution thing and what we were doing and now we can properly challenge the one thing that screwed us over.'

The other point is the excellent Doma Theme :colbert:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Meiteron posted:

I'm not gonna lie the moment where the court is going WILL A CHAMPION STAND FOR THIS LALAFELL and you march right the gently caress in there, the greatest knights in Ishgard look at you like "who the gently caress's this rear end in a top hat", and you trounce the gently caress outta them while heroic music plays is probably the highlight of the entire first act of Heavensward for me. And at that point you've barely been out of the city, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZkWBAUAGU4

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have nothing against the Doma arc, I just think sticking it smack dab in the middle of the Ala Mhigo arc kind of weakened that one.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 13, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Speaking of the middle part of SB. What the gently caress is up with Yanxia?

Strictly speaking, the zone isn't small. But it feels tiny, like it needs to be a third larger than it actually is. Also, the giant walls just mess with the general aesthetics of the place. They're loving huge, why the gently caress do you need loving huge walls like that? Also, imperial airships. I can accept smaller fliers getting downed by makeshift weaponry because their operators and machinery are exposed. But how the gently caress has anyone been taking down imperial airships? You see tons of them all over SB and many of them aren't fresh. Sure, the Alliance has cannons but they strike me as ye olde cannonball cannons and not the sort of thing you'd use against a mobile, let alone flying, target. So far the only anti-air thing we've seen ingame that doesn't belong to the Garleans are dragoons (haha) and Ishgard's dragonkillers. This is one of the things I'd like the game to advance along. The Alliance has confiscated a lot of Imperial tech and is incorporating what they can in their fight against the Empire.

Also, I would've loved, loved, to see The Protector, Ishgard's airship parked in Sea of Clouds make an appearance in Stormblood. Hien's appearance worked but I wanted to see more of Ishgard.

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 13, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Urianger was banging Moen. It's not even subtle, why the debate
He doesn't get new gear because it's his job to do literally nothing in the place no one likes at all.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Argas posted:

Strictly speaking, the zone isn't small. But it feels tiny, like it needs to be a third larger than it actually is. Also, the giant walls just mess with the general aesthetics of the place. They're loving huge, why the gently caress do you need loving huge walls like that? Also, imperial airships. I can accept smaller fliers getting downed by makeshift weaponry because their operators and machinery are exposed. But how the gently caress has anyone been taking down imperial airships? You see tons of them all over SB and many of them aren't fresh. Sure, the Alliance has cannons but they strike me as ye olde cannonball cannons and not the sort of thing you'd use against a mobile, let alone flying, target. So far the only anti-air thing we've seen ingame that doesn't belong to the Garleans are dragoons (haha) and Ishgard's dragonkillers. This is one of the things I'd like the game to advance along. The Alliance has confiscated a lot of Imperial tech and is incorporating what they can in their fight against the Empire.

Also, I would've loved, loved, to see [/spoiler]The Protector, Ishgard's airship parked in Sea of Clouds make an appearance in Stormblood. Hien's appearance worked but I wanted to see more of Ishgard.[/spoiler]

The anti-ship tech is called Firaga, and other black magic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Khisanth Magus posted:

The anti-ship tech is called Firaga, and other black magic.

Which is something only Ul'dah has. Okay not really.. There's probably wandering Thaumaturges, self-taught ones, or just other schools of it, but it's just a detail that bugs me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Argas posted:

Also, I would've loved, loved, to see [/spoiler]The Protector, Ishgard's airship parked in Sea of Clouds make an appearance in Stormblood. Hien's appearance worked but I wanted to see more of Ishgard.[/spoiler]

It does not help that the one person who knows how all that confiscated technology works has basically sworn off using it for war. (The other guy totally would, though, but he's a recent development, and who knows how much his boss would let him get away with.)

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Argas posted:

Which is something only Ul'dah has. Okay not really.. There's probably wandering Thaumaturges, self-taught ones, or just other schools of it, but it's just a detail that bugs me.

I mean, there are confirmed wandering Red Mages, and you wouldn't need to be an expert thaumaturge/black mage to throw a fireball into a moving target.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Argas posted:

IDK, like all the arcanists we see either come from Limsa which is built on the ruins of Nym, the home of arcanism, or Shalayan which I'm guessing is a place where people probably gently caress books. Same way conjurers come from Gridana, next door to Amdapor. Like even 2 astral ages later people just don't get around much and share knowledge in Eorzea, and they like the magic that they like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Concerning all the downed Imperial Aircraft you find strewn about the SB zones: They're much like real world aircraft in that the main thing that keeps them afloat is not getting hit in the first place. Most are assault crafts which took all of 5-6 shots from a dinky Anti-Air battery in Castrum Meriandum.

Fact of the matter is we haven't seen much of the one size larger than that outside of shots from cutscenes, heck the main one I remember is Gaius doing his grand ol' 'Emperor arrives at the Death Star' scene in 2.0. We've gotten more exposure to the Big Huge ships (the Agrias and the Gration) than we have the bigger-than-assault craft ships despite there only being 2 of those huge ones in existence :v:

I'm pretty sure the Alliance hasn't shot down any of those and we saw what it took to give the Gration some trouble (RIP Ysayle)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 13, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EponymousMrYar posted:

Concerning all the downed Imperial Aircraft you find strewn about the SB zones: They're much like real world aircraft in that the main thing that keeps them afloat is not getting hit in the first place. Most are assault crafts which took all of 5-6 shots from a dinky Anti-Air battery in Castrum Meriandum.

Fact of the matter is we haven't seen much of the one size larger than that outside of shots from cutscenes, heck the main one I remember is Gaius doing his grand ol' 'Emperor arrives at the Death Star' scene in 2.0. We've gotten more exposure to the Big Huge ships (the Agrias and the Gration) than we have the bigger-than-assault craft ships despite there only being 2 of those huge ones in existence :v:

I'm pretty sure the Alliance hasn't shot down any of those and we saw what it took to give the Gration some trouble (RIP Ysayle)

The Agrias and Gration are both flagships so I think there aren't any others. The Garlean Empire isn't nearly as airship crazy as Archadia. I wouldn't be surprised if the Garlean Empire is still reeling from losing their airship fleet over Mor Dhona, losing not just the Agrias but also scores of those weird cylinder-headed ones. If anything, they're probably moving away from bigger stuff they have a harder time replacing to the simpler fliers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clarste posted:

I think one of the biggest problems with the 2.0 storyline was expecting the players to give a poo poo about any of the Scions, presumably because of something in 1.0? They've sort of worked towards fixing it in later expansions, but for the longest time we had this overly large cast of interchangeable nobodies hanging out with us.

Yeah I still don't really care about them at all. They're someone else's team that I happened to run into, I have no skin in their game. They sometimes tell me about good primals to kill. Meanwhile, the Heavensward crew? Those are MY friends that I teamed up with. I feel more of a connection to, say, Aymeric because I built an alliance with him, rather than just being told he was on this team that I am also I guess in?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I am on the cat's team

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Was running Shisui today and the talk got into limit breaks somehow. I mention that i'm suprised that Big/Might Guard wasen't in the game somewhere and then our tank goes like "oh you mean this Mighty Guard?" and blew our level 2 limit break just for a joke.

Like, i guess i don't know what else i expected the tank's defense increasing limit break to be but it still surprised me because i've never seen a tank use a limit break in my 3 months of playing.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Like, i guess i don't know what else i expected the tank's defense increasing limit break to be but it still surprised me because i've never seen a tank use a limit break in my 3 months of playing.

There's only one instance I can think of where it's required for the tank to limit break.

Defiance Industries posted:

Meanwhile, the Heavensward crew? Those are MY friends that I teamed up with. I feel more of a connection to, say, Aymeric because I built an alliance with him, rather than just being told he was on this team that I am also I guess in?

Haurchefant is the only character in this game I was invested in. Everyone in the game treats you like a lackey, but Haurchefant just wanted to be your bro.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 13, 2017

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

WoL: "This is not my fight."
Alphy: "Oh well you can stop the MSQ here I guess?"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've been thinking of figuring out a better one that dynamic reassigns actions to a single set of hotbars and you can just keep pressing the macro button (which itself gets swapped out every time you push it) to cycle through various "pages" (combat jobs, crafters/gatherers, emotes/misc junk, etc). I just have to figure out if things other than job actions can be assigned on the fly like that via macros (especially other macros).

https://pastebin.com/ZYUKBSH9
Should be a start.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
I had a susano ex party where one dude literally refused to watch any videos, he's like "Others didn't so why should I?" Oh I don't know so you don't waste a whole party's time because you have no loving clue what you're doing.

I hate pubbies.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This is the round-robin cycling hotbar I use for gear sets, emotes etc

I recommend using JOBS instead of CLASSES like I have for CNJ and PGL but I'm too lazy to change it right now.

code:
Page 1 CNJ (gear sets)
Page 2 MCH (gear sets continued & special unlocked emotes)
Page 3 AST (yellow emotes)
Page 4 WAR (gray emotes)
Page 5 PGL (blue emotes and key items (wonderous tails, hunt garbage))

Place items to be copied on shared hotbar #10 (Hide this after)
Items will be copied to hotbar #9

CNJ to MCH (1 to 2)
/hotbar copy MCH 10 share 9

MCH to AST (2 to 3)
/hotbar copy AST 10 share 9

AST to WAR (3 to 4)
/hotbar copy WAR 10 share 9

WAR to PGL (4 to 5)
/hotbar copy PGL 10 share 9

PGL to CNJ (5 to 1)
/hotbar copy CNJ 10 share 9

You can reverse the direction with another set of emotes so you don't have to scroll through the entire thing.

strong bird fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 13, 2017

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Malthuras posted:

I had a susano ex party where one dude literally refused to watch any videos, he's like "Others didn't so why should I?" Oh I don't know so you don't waste a whole party's time because you have no loving clue what you're doing.

I hate pubbies.

I cleared all the content this patch blind

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That interactive hotbar macro works really well and as multi-job player it's an absolute godsend. The only niggle is that whatever class you are using for the extra hotbars will automatically add their newest abilities to your neat macros. If you will ever level up the hotbar duty job the class will receive new abilities as well, feeding into your hotbars. It's annoying but manageable.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I haven't had any problem with abilities sneaking into the hotbars, maybe because it's always full or because it's hotbar 9 and 10

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna spend all drat weekend making insane hotbar stuff happen. I'd love to make a "combat mode" hotbar swapper that gets rid of everything extraneous like my 4 bars full of emotes, job switching buttons, and stuff like meld/dye

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Jinh posted:

I'm gonna spend all drat weekend making insane hotbar stuff happen. I'd love to make a "combat mode" hotbar swapper that gets rid of everything extraneous like my 4 bars full of emotes, job switching buttons, and stuff like meld/dye

Adding and removing items to a hotbar is a little more complicated but if you just want a button to press to toggle hotbars:

/hotbar display X
/hotbar display X
/hotbar display X
etc

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYToDRSELLI
Found this if you're the video guide type, it's from a couple months ago so not crazy old like a lot of the reddit posts on the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

strong bird posted:

I cleared all the content this patch blind

same

both lakshmi and susie dead in two pulls