Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

SatansBestBuddy posted:

it's almost 4am and I can't sleep

saw this and thought of the thread

so at this point I'm pretty sure I am asleep and dreaming which is neat, I don't have livid dreams very often

lmao that looks hideous. some of the design is kinda neat though in an outsider artist kind of way, like the protagonist for example. big fan of weird russian animation though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
No kidding that stuff is fascinating.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

it's almost 4am and I can't sleep

saw this and thought of the thread

so at this point I'm pretty sure I am asleep and dreaming which is neat, I don't have livid dreams very often

Just watched this over the weekend. That fight scene is probably the best part but it was still a good, weird watch the whole way through. I really liked the extreme environmentalist message at the end out of nowhere.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gem from the Japanese animation archive of the day is The Animal Olympics http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/43800

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Das Boo posted:

Despicable Me 3 had six different plot lines: Two could have carried their own movie (Dru and Evil Bratt), one seemed to spring out of nowhere (Was the mom really self-conscious about her relationship with the girls in the second one? I thought they were gung-ho about having a mom? And she didn't have a character arc or anything, they were just, "Oh, right, she's awesome."), and the other three had no bearing on the plot at all (Unicorn, minions and that weird engagement plot that dropped off the face of the earth).

There was no theme or message that tied any of these together. There was no emotional investment. I kept predicting lines when I didn't even want to and yes, having seen this in theaters I can conclusively say that the comedic timing is way off.

Trey Parker's character was the only worthwhile element and he had around 15 minutes of screentime.

Trey Parker crushed it but I thought overall the movie was extremely mediocre. The original hook of the movie (that is, the evil villain being the protag) has been completely lost at this point, and without it the characters aren't really compelling anymore. I think that's my biggest problem with it, the writers seem to think that Gru is funny and interesting enough to carry the movie but he's just not anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Gem from the Japanese animation archive of the day is The Animal Olympics http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/43800

Immediately made me think of Animalympics, probably the first thing I ever watched on Disney Channel when they did their free preview weekend or whatever back in the early 90s.

At least I'm pretty sure it was Disney Channel. Not sure what else it would have been on. Definitely a free preview weekend for something.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

abigserve posted:

Trey Parker crushed it but I thought overall the movie was extremely mediocre. The original hook of the movie (that is, the evil villain being the protag) has been completely lost at this point, and without it the characters aren't really compelling anymore. I think that's my biggest problem with it, the writers seem to think that Gru is funny and interesting enough to carry the movie but he's just not anymore.

Gru is exceptionally bland and Steve Carell is putting way more emphasis on the funny accent than he is the voice acting. It's really easy to displace Gru speaking with Steve Carell making exaggerated faces in a sound booth because you have no real emotional anchor to hitch to. It doesn't matter what suits the scene, it's "Does this sound goofy?" I never saw the second movie and mostly picked up on it from people around here, but I never really got an impression of the wife character other than it's Joy, but sometimes a little angry.

And yeah, Trey Parker was great. I couldn't help but think it'd have been a more cohesive script if you took his motivation (passed over, stuck in the glory days) and applied it to aaaaalll those subplots that they were trying to juggle. That's an easy and fitting motivation for Gru, Wife (gently caress, I can't even remember her name), and the minions to tackle. I'm sure you could work it in with the girls as it's part of growing up.

Also that poor middle sister had gently caress all to do in this thing. Older sister at least got a tiny story element, middle sister was on her goddamn phone for most of her screentime. I'm also hoping this is all vague enough not to be spoilers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who wants to watch a world of animated penises?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHr-YwegAw
Tags: :nws: :catdrugs::stare:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sure bud.

I didn't get a chance to do my Year Of Pixar watching last week so I will have to catch up this week :ohdear:

I'm thinking though that, instead, I should have planned to watch all the Ghibli movies before I go to the Ghibli museum in September. Oh well. I will at least endeavour to show Spirited Away and maybe one other to my boyfriend before we go :3:

I'm also gonna plan our Tokyo Disneyland visit soon. He's never been to a Disney park... or basically any theme park before, bless him :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So after watching it on a flight while getting increasingly intoxicated, Boss baby is an ugly looking movie with a plot that dissapoints like a person who waits to dump their partner on valentines day but what inexplicably really got my goat is the end of the movie sets up a sequel that is just a gender inverted version of the films premise for a film where that wasnt the central conflict after like 30 minutes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pixar week 3

No short films this time around, just Toy Story 2: Mortality Is An Inescapable Horror!

- Is the message of this film that Adult Collectors of Toys (ACTs) are evil manchildren? Hmmph! :catbert:

- Did Andy's mum say that Woody is an old family toy? Did Woody have different owners before Andy? Does he remember them? This raises lots of questions!!

- Scene where Woody is getting his arm back from Newman's pocket: holy poo poo the skin/stubble textures on this character are creepily realistic even though the anatomy is cartoony. It's horrifying :gonk:

- It's also a bit creepy when the guy wakes from a dream and goes "No officer, I swear!" ... Why does he have a guilty conscience? What are they implying this guy's done? W-what else does he use that polaroid camera for? :cry:

- OH THE CLEANER IS GERI!

- Barbie product placement is hilarious.

- Jessie's backstory is the first iteration of heart-destroying Pixar, isn't it?

- Nice erection joke at the end, Disney.

- Summary: This movie is better in every way than TS1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think youre the first person ive ever heard of who prefered Toy Story 2 as a whole to Toy Story 1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Toy Story is a series about existential terror, obsolescence, ageing and death. Always liked how Toy Story 2 was described in a forum game as 'An ageing cowboy is given a choice between love and immortality'.

I've always seen Toy Story 3 as basically a tour of various concepts of the afterlife.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Barudak posted:

I think youre the first person ive ever heard of who prefered Toy Story 2 as a whole to Toy Story 1.
Nah I also like TS2 more than TS1, and TS3 most of all. They get increasingly macabre and traumatizing until they reach Brave Little Toaster levels at the end of TS3. The horrors of the Toy Story series:

Toy Story 1
- mutilated body-horror toys, esp. the doll head with spider legs
- Combat Carl gets blown up
- the existential horror that is "NOT A FLYING TOY"

Toy Story 2
- the annihilation that awaits broken toys
- the idea of "storage" which is clearly a form of being buried alive while immortal
- being lost/abandoned by your only source of love

Toy Story 3
- being ripped apart by toddlers every day in an unending torture like something out of Greek myth
- the loving cymbal monkey
- the loving bald baby doll
- being lost/abandoned by your only source of love (again)
- toy prison
- garbage incinerator

In conclusion: I Have No Pull String and I Must Scream

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

*raises hand*

I also think Toy Story 3 is better than either of the first two.

Hedrigall posted:

- Is the message of this film that Adult Collectors of Toys (ACTs) are evil manchildren? Hmmph! :catbert:

If I remember right, the guy who stole Woody wants to sell his collection to a museum. So he's not really a collector himself, he's just using his collection as a means to profit. Or, possibly he was a collector, but once he learned he could sell his collection he saw no reason to keep it outside of completing it to raise it's value.

Neon Noodle posted:

In conclusion: I Have No Pull String and I Must Scream

You forgot the seeming immortally and unaging nature of toys conflicting with children always growing older, growing up, and growing bored with their toys.

Also toys have the urge to be played with, an urge that can be left unsatisfied when the children stop playing with them.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Barudak posted:

Not sure if this is sarcastic? It's a very commonly used example of "sequel that's actually better than the original"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The intro of TS3 is what being played with is like from a toy's point of view.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Toy Story is the best Pixar film and both sequels are mediocre cash grabs.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So Woody's Round Up is a children's show old enough and obscure enough that both Andy and Woody are completely unaware of it (and since all toys are conscious that means Woody was aware of things pre-Andy and still had no knowledge of the show he was specifically made for), and yet it is popular enough that a Japanese museum is working on, at the very least, a display for the merchandise from the show? I get you need to get the plot going, but I don't know, there must have been some story that made Pixar decide to go with Japan to be interested in the very American cowboy show.

(Or the real answer, which is they needed Woody's trip to be transcontinental to give it more weight)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pick posted:

I think Toy Story is the best Pixar film and both sequels are mediocre cash grabs. really good too

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

dirksteadfast posted:

So Woody's Round Up is a children's show old enough and obscure enough that both Andy and Woody are completely unaware of it (and since all toys are conscious that means Woody was aware of things pre-Andy and still had no knowledge of the show he was specifically made for), and yet it is popular enough that a Japanese museum is working on, at the very least, a display for the merchandise from the show? I get you need to get the plot going, but I don't know, there must have been some story that made Pixar decide to go with Japan to be interested in the very American cowboy show.

(Or the real answer, which is they needed Woody's trip to be transcontinental to give it more weight)

Honestly, it's not that strange, Voltron is very popular in the states, but in Japan as Go Go Lion it's just a run of the mill transforming mecha series nobody remembers. Big O was actually a flop in Japan as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRHuqLlyFc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, it's not that strange, Voltron is very popular in the states, but in Japan as Go Go Lion it's just a run of the mill transforming mecha series nobody remembers. Big O was actually a flop in Japan as well.

And there's something of a trend of American properties being somewhat randomly popular in Japan.

That and an American toy museum probably would have an easier time getting the hang of what was a very popular toy back in the day; a Japanese museum may be more recently expanding to encompass a notable aspect of American culture that has enough former fans old enough to be nostalgic about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

So Woody's Round-Up is the Toy Story Universe equivalent of The Moomins.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wasnt being sarcastic, Ive never encountered that opinion before because even people who really really like the music video song sequence for the lady cowboy toys backstory usually tempered that witth how weak the rest of the film is.

Pick posted:

I think Toy Story is the best Pixar film and both sequels are mediocre cash grabs.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 13, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Barudak posted:

I wasnt being sarcastic, Ive never encountered that opinion before because even people who really really like the music video song sequence for the lady cowboy toys backstory usually tempered that witth how weak the rest of the film is.

Were you in a coma during its release? Critics and audiences praised Toy Story 2 to high heaven back in the day. It's still one of the few films with a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

What, really? I don't know if it's an age thing because this forum seems to dislike it but everywhere growing up it was Toy Story 2 that was considered the best not 1.

edit: Also I've never seen people dislike Jesse's song bit outside of this thread.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I know I left the theater thinking Toy Story 2 was clearly better than Toy Story [1].

I dunno if I still hold that opinion, but I can definitely still see the arguments in favor of it. It's a really solid movie, all told, and probably the most solid sequel under Pixar's belts (barring maybe Toy Story 3; Finding Dory was also really solid, but Monsters University was just okay, Cars 2 clearly wasn't okay, and I haven't seen Cars 3 yet to judge it).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can also see why people wouldn't like it as much; there's more pop culture references, the plot is a little on the messy side and has maybe one too many conveniences, "how the gently caress does a stuffed toy horse keep up with an airplane?", they reused the "Buzz doesn't know he's a toy" plotline from the first movie, stuff like that. It's not a perfect movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Even if you're not a fan of TS3, you have to love Spanish Buzz

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

they reused the "Buzz doesn't know he's a toy" plotline from the first movie
Is that a complaint people actually have? I thought they did well enough making that feel like its own thing, given the receiving end of that schtick was now the same Buzz who'd pulled it during the first movie, which both let him get to reflect on how insufferable he had been and let the writers mix in a minor mistaken-identity subplot on top of everything else.

If anything, it felt a bit less natural in Toy Story 3 (so, what, all Buzzes can just revert to that "doesn't know he's a toy" state?), and even there they found a way to use it creatively (using him to police Andy's other toys - or something like that, it's been a while since I've seen TS3).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They reused that plotpoint, but in a pretty minor way that brought new light to the original. I thought that was pretty great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have a private movie journal thing and I'm giving ratings to each of these films as I watch them, by the way.

So far I give both TS1 and ABL 7/10. I give TS2 8/10.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finding Nemo is the best Pixar movie hth

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Barudak posted:

I totally think Toy Story 2 is better. Seeing them both as a double feature right before 3 came out was the first time I realized that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm the one guy on earth who actually likes Bug's Life most, out of Pixar's lineup.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Martytoof posted:

I'm the one guy on earth who actually likes Bug's Life most, out of Pixar's lineup.

Holy poo poo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

The words of a madman

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

I think they have pills for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A Bug's Life is #2 hth

Edit: come up with something other than a poop joke when you reply to this tia