Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
twilight was okay. the battle system was neat.

i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twilight is half a kind of fun if sluggish game stapled to the most boring game in the world

i have never encountered a jrpg cast as boring as the human half of that game. meanwhile the demons are all fun

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I always liked this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C8NL87d2k

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

All of the poo poo Unlimited Saga gets is deserved

Unlimited Saga is the definition of "Impenetrable". I desperately wanted to like the game. I watched that 90 minute series of videos on the mechanics of the game, learned how to play and still had no idea what the game wanted from me. It's a game that requires 100% emotional commitment to even scratch the surface and gently caress me it's just not worth it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
US was too easy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's a really solid list outside of thousand arms and star ocean 2, which are just kinda blegh

have you played persona 2: innocent sin?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is going straight on my "favorite tweets ever" list. I really just enjoy Yoko Taro a lot.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We're getting the Brownies smartphone game next month.

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/egglia-legend-redcap-coming-west-august

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

James Woods Fan posted:

Brigandine
Thousand Arms
Arc The Lad 1,2,3
Arc The Lad- Twilight Of The Spirits
Unlimited Saga
Romancing Saga
Tales Of The Abyss
Tales Of Legendia
Breath of Fire IV
Breath Of Fire Dragon Quarter
Azure Dreams
Jade Cocoon
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest VIII
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Koudelka
Lunar 2
Megaman Legends
Parasite Eve
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Summoner 2
Saga Frontier 2
Star Ocean: The Second Story (played some of this)
Tales Of Destiny II
Threads Of Fate
Valkyrie Profile
Valkyrie Profile 2
Disgaea 2
Wild Arms 3
Vagrant Story (I've played some of this)
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2

Gonna take forever I imagine.

What about Shadow Hearts: From the New World?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Colonel posted:

that's a really solid list outside of thousand arms and star ocean 2, which are just kinda blegh

have you played persona 2: innocent sin?

"Because it's blegh too."

You forgot to finish your post!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Persona 2 is pretty amazing, actually. To this day it's probably still my overall favorite Persona though I do greatly appreciate the overall improvements in P4G.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

What about Shadow Hearts: From the New World?
id say 'i mean its not that great' but considering that list has lunar 2 on it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

id say 'i mean its not that great' but considering that list has lunar 2 on it

I admit it's the only Shadow Hearts game I've played, but I think it's pretty drat good :shrug:. Besides, it's worth the price of admission just to see how loving weird it goes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I admit it's the only Shadow Hearts game I've played, but I think it's pretty drat good :shrug:. Besides, it's worth the price of admission just to see how loving weird it goes.

It's actually the weakest of the series (but i still think it's good.)

Play Covenant if you can get your hands on it (read a synopsis of the first) because it's downright amazing in its strangeness.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's mechanically the most interesting and best executed Shadow Hearts game, so it's worth checking out at least.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't just read a friggin synopsis of shadow hearts 1 that game's like less than 20 hours long already

play shadow hearts and sh: covenant cause they both actually do interesting narrative stuff with the weird-rear end universe instead of just being, well, goofy and weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my issue with from the new world is that its all weirdness with no grounding. like sh1 and 2 have a ton of weird poo poo and funny gags but they also have hosed up demons and a serious plot built around world war 1, loss of loved ones, depression, etc. the goofy stuff is grounded by the fact that it still feels like a believable world with characters you can invest in, so it's funnier when the goofy stuff happens because it's more surprising and is disrupting the status quo of this serious horror-fantasy world war 1 world. in from the new world its just lawl american ninja and cat mobster!!! and nobody can be in a scene without mugging to the camera for ten minutes about how wacky their inherent existence is. it's weird, i guess, but it's so nonstop and weightless that you stop caring about it within like 5 hours.

it helps that sh1 and 2 are actually well-written games with cool themes and moments and character arcs and stuff, and sh1 and sh2 have this really neat trend of biting commentary about japan's role in ww1 which is an often underlooked part of history, and that is, uh, very much not in sh3

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
All of the Shadow Hearts games, including Koudelka, are games I have played and enjoyed.

Actually I guess I like a horror-themed RPGs like PE and SMT kinda.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sh2: its hosed up that the navy gained so much political power in japan in the wake of ww1
sh3: its hosed up that.... this vampire girl is fat!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
koudelka isn't required playing but it's really easy to break the character building and make your entire party absolute tanks so you can beat it in like ten hours so it's easier to look over its issues

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

plus it has really good voice acting. not for a ps1 game made in japan, but just in general, it has good voice acting. and i really dig the ending of koudelka. plus it sets up roger i guess, and rogers' cool.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Saga Frontier 2 good? The first game had a trailer on my ps1 demo disk as a kid and I spent years pining for it before getting it. It's a weird unfinished mess of a game but I love it for all its faults. The music certainly holds up today and the animations for attacks were cool as heck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do you think its good? if so, it is. art is fake and so is god

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

koudelka isn't required playing but it's really easy to break the character building and make your entire party absolute tanks so you can beat it in like ten hours so it's easier to look over its issues

It's amazing that you can literally just let the game clock run until an arbitrary time and save it at that time and have a weapon that basically makes your party invincible.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

It's amazing that you can literally just let the game clock run until an arbitrary time and save it at that time and have a weapon that basically makes your party invincible.

don't even have to do that, if you set up your party to all have strong resistance to magic + healing magic strong enough to overcome that resistance, even the last boss is a complete joke

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!
I had a friend in college who practically never played video games but he got super into unlimited saga and cleared like 4 or 5 character paths, he also beat ikaruga in like 2 days after I lent him that and my gamecube

he's also verifiably on the autism spectrum so that may have played a big part of it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Jinh posted:

Is Saga Frontier 2 good? The first game had a trailer on my ps1 demo disk as a kid and I spent years pining for it before getting it. It's a weird unfinished mess of a game but I love it for all its faults. The music certainly holds up today and the animations for attacks were cool as heck.

I haven't played the first one but I like the second one and I think most people say it's an improvement on the first. It's still lovely to look at too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SF1 and SF2 are basically entirely different games connected only by both having some SaGa mechanics. SF2 is more finished than SF1 was but they're just barely comparable.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

tenderjerk posted:

I had a friend in college who practically never played video games but he got super into unlimited saga and cleared like 4 or 5 character paths, he also beat ikaruga in like 2 days after I lent him that and my gamecube

he's also verifiably on the autism spectrum so that may have played a big part of it

I think a lot of people might find Unlimited Saga interesting if they never played games before. It's not like he knows anything better.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jinh posted:

SF2 is my favorite Saga game, hands down. It's easily top 5 PS1 games for me on top. It's a gorgeous mess (like Saga is supposed to be).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I got sent a review key for some action RPG called Fallen Legion on PS4 despite not owning a PS4 yet. I know literally nothing about it. I occasionally get sent review codes for PC games but it's weird that they'd just send me one for a console I've never shown I have.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Verranicus posted:

I got sent a review key for some action RPG called Fallen Legion on PS4 despite not owning a PS4 yet. I know literally nothing about it. I occasionally get sent review codes for PC games but it's weird that they'd just send me one for a console I've never shown I have.

It looks like kind of a Valkyrie Profile-esque game but I know nothing about it other than that. I guess it comes out next week?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

It looks like kind of a Valkyrie Profile-esque game but I know nothing about it other than that. I guess it comes out next week?

It is so weird to me that "Valkyrie Profile Clone" is an actual genre now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

It is so weird to me that "Valkyrie Profile Clone" is an actual genre now.

I've noticed that RPG's in general tend to be defined by their battle systems. You saw it recently with Setsuna being a "CT-like".

That said I'd love more games to have engaging combat like VP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Why the loving gently caress is Valkyrie Profile Clone suddenly a hot thing now? :psyduck:

This was 2 years ago when fallen legion was first shown. And I looked back because I remembered something and apparently it's made by some of the staff that made FF Tactics.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

SF2 is my favorite Saga game, hands down. It's easily top 5 PS1 games for me on top. It's a gorgeous mess (like Saga is supposed to be).

Sweet, I'll check it out!

SF1 was the only game in the series I'd ever played so I'm not really sure what they're known for. My expectation is that they all look and sound great and the programmers for everything other than graphics/sound were on an amazing cocktail of drugs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verranicus posted:

I'll take it if you don't want it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

This was 2 years ago when fallen legion was first shown. And I looked back because I remembered something and apparently it's made by some of the staff that made FF Tactics.

Wow. I guess it's good to know I'm consistent!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Levantine posted:

I've noticed that RPG's in general tend to be defined by their battle systems. You saw it recently with Setsuna being a "CT-like".
I Am Setsuna copied a lot more than the battle system from Chrono Trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or tried to, at least.