Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nuns with Guns posted:

there wouldn't be much stopping you from having an rpg based around one other than finding a way to handle how most modern sports teams are significantly larger than a regular player group

Yeah, that's the main thing I was thinking of. If everyone has one character it'd bog down too much. If you divvy up 11 characters (plus reserves, I guess?) between the usual 3-5 players it works a little better, although player turns would probably be pretty long. But then you've got the GM in charge of the other 11. The nature of the game pretty strongly suggests symmetrical mechanics, too, so either the GM turn is going to be really complicated or player turns are going to be kinda simplistic.

On the other hand, if you use a wargame-like model, you barely have to change anything except for the win conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nuns with Guns posted:

there wouldn't be much stopping you from having an rpg based around one other than finding a way to handle how most modern sports teams are significantly larger than a regular player group

Hockey only has five players plus a goalie on-ice at any given time, plus there's already hitting and fighting, so it should be in the average RPGer's wheelhouse.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blood Bowl exists but is sadly an unbalanced mess.

We need a better lizards-vs-elves football game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I remember the old Runequest Trollpak set had rules for "Trollball" which was basically "Football but with clubs and a living ball (depending on region this was either a sort of specially bred beetle or just a trollkin) , and the refs were giants who would literally kick players for penalties.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, that's the main thing I was thinking of. If everyone has one character it'd bog down too much. If you divvy up 11 characters (plus reserves, I guess?) between the usual 3-5 players it works a little better, although player turns would probably be pretty long. But then you've got the GM in charge of the other 11. The nature of the game pretty strongly suggests symmetrical mechanics, too, so either the GM turn is going to be really complicated or player turns are going to be kinda simplistic.

On the other hand, if you use a wargame-like model, you barely have to change anything except for the win conditions.

There's no reason you would need every team member to be controlled by a player, or would need to have the matches played out like it's wargame. The goal of a hypothetical team sport RPG should be to model either:
  • the drama involved in the lives of professional players (e.g. salary issues, transfers, drugs, players squabbling for positions, tensions inside the team due to internal or external drama, etc.); or
  • the drama inherent in the act of competing in any kind of tournament format.
i.e. the stuff that makes sports shows/films interesting, not the strategic stuff that makes playing the actual sport interesting.

In that framework you'd just have players controlling specific, important players on the team (the Captain, the Ace with issues, the Goalkeeper, the Wingman, the Libero, etc.) and everyone else on the team is just an NPC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no reason you would need every team member to be controlled by a player, or would need to have the matches played out like it's wargame. The goal of a hypothetical team sport RPG should be to model either:
  • the drama involved in the lives of professional players (e.g. salary issues, transfers, drugs, players squabbling for positions, tensions inside the team due to internal or external drama, etc.); or
  • the drama inherent in the act of competing in any kind of tournament format.
i.e. the stuff that makes sports shows/films interesting, not the strategic stuff that makes playing the actual sport interesting.

I do think that the thoughtspace of "arena fighting for entertainment, as in the WWE but with swords" is one that's been slightly more explored in this regard, such as X-Crawl.

I also remember from the RPPR Iron Heroes campaign one of their epilogue episodes where one of the party was in a martial arts fighting tournament, and the rest of the party wheeled-and-dealed behind the scenes, setting up competitors to take the fall, smuggling in contraband to help with the fights, and uncovering the next arena's gimmick before it was unveiled.

It was sort of like Bloodsport, actually.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no reason you would need [...] to have the matches played out like it's wargame.

There's no reason you would need to put cheese on your pasta. But, you know, some people like cheese.

I love playing sports, but sports movies are generally poo poo. I want to run plays and choose defensive packages, not reenact Water Boy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't disagree that the world is filled with petty people who get mad at the most inane things (which is why I joked about people flying into a rage at the most inane things), but you were way more than irritated because you went on a small tear comparing anime to autism despite your intimate secondhand contact with autistic people.

Most of my posts have lots of words in them; your ability to reach through the internet and psychically judge someone else's mental state is not as acute as you believe.

For a sports RPG, why not play as the management/coaching staff? Blood Bowl exists, but so does Blood Bowl Manager.

Alternately, invent a fantasy sport with exactly 4-6 players, none of whom is the "main star guy" if you want to have in-party balance. Another option for a less co-operative game is to give each player their own sports team within a league; they can be rivals or on friendly terms, trade players, etc. Something like fantasy sports, but with a roleplaying aspect. Your adventures needn't only be about winning the big game: you could have drama like various scandals, labor disputes, etc. or perhaps some of the players are secretly shapechanging mutants or there's a rival sporting league trying to destroy yours, or the illuminati is trying to take control or the space orks have decided they want to play and aren't taking no for an answer...

Jimbozig posted:

sports movies are generally poo poo

OK now I'm ready to go on a tear and fly off the handle!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been wanting to work on a homebrew setting where dungeoncrawling is a televised sport. I know that XCrawl exists, but honestly I feel that the first edition is so focused on a setting that is mostly lame, and the Pathfinder version is so focused on mechanics, that there's room for a game that puts dungeoncrawling in the context of everything from Rollerball and The Running Man to reality television and wrestling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been wanting to work on a homebrew setting where dungeoncrawling is a televised sport. I know that XCrawl exists, but honestly I feel that the first edition is so focused on a setting that is mostly lame, and the Pathfinder version is so focused on mechanics, that there's room for a game that puts dungeoncrawling in the context of everything from Rollerball and The Running Man to reality television and wrestling.

Kinda like the Dream Park setting? I've thought about that a bit, everyone having "inner" and "outer" characters and such.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Certainly, I thought the X-Crawl setting as a "modern fantasy" setting fell extremely flat; I think it'd be more fun to bring the necessary modern conceits into a fantasy setting than vice-versa.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Leperflesh posted:

Alternately, invent a fantasy sport with exactly 4-6 players, none of whom is the "main star guy" if you want to have in-party balance.

Basketball. Got it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I will teach you the sport of my people. Skull Skull.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Bee posted:

Basketball. Got it.

If basketball had no bench players/substitutions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Street ball.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hitball

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

That Old Tree posted:

Nothing wrong with that. Keep in mind, though, that depending on what you're doing with your game, a 6"x9" book might be better. Digest size can be more attractive if you're putting out less than 50k words, especially if it's a "core" book. (And then any further supplements should be the same size, because of course.)

Here's a basic rundown. It's super easy to include. For what you seem to want, I'd suggest Attribution ShareAlike (CC BY-SA), which allows people to create derivative commercial work, but they must distribute it under the same license. Just as an example, here's how Eclipse Phase did theirs:

This only allows non-commercial derivatives, but it's as easy as the above to include this or a similar license in your book.

How do I get an image like that at a good resolution? You know, that CC logo?

Also, having some trouble with a body font. Using Whizbang for Table of Contents and Chapter titles because that's what Viz uses in the manga, but the body typeface is troublesome. Currently using Segoe UI as a placeholder, but it's boring. Any idea on what would be a good type face?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Whirlyball is the perfect sport for modeling in an rpg - it's slow, it's incredibly lame, and it barely has any players on the field.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I have a game for you. Need higher stakes? Play it against demons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

https://creativecommons.org/about/downloads has them. For BY-NC-SA you want https://mirrors.creativecommons.org/presskit/buttons/88x31/svg/by-nc-sa.svg and to scale it up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

What do you mean by scale it up?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Kinda like the Dream Park setting? I've thought about that a bit, everyone having "inner" and "outer" characters and such.
Not so much. More like ridiculously on the nose about how media spectacle and intractable foreign conflicts are just distractions from a government that totally sucks. PCs are who they are, in terms of their abilities (the dungeon is not a virtual reality, though it is something like The Zone) and the disconnect is between their on-scrying-pool persona and their real personality.

I will probably resist the urge to make Donald Flumph president, but the Macho Modron Rand-al Savage will be in there. Also, elves are rednecks and dwarfs are Eye-talian.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 13, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

What do you mean by scale it up?

Just change the size of the image in your document. It's a vector image, so it will scale cleanly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Just change the size of the image in your document. It's a vector image, so it will scale cleanly.

Oh, okay. Thought you meant something fancy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Covok posted:

Also, having some trouble with a body font. Using Whizbang for Table of Contents and Chapter titles because that's what Viz uses in the manga, but the body typeface is troublesome. Currently using Segoe UI as a placeholder, but it's boring. Any idea on what would be a good type face?

Whizbang is Free only for noncommercial use. Segoe UI is a microsoft font and some quick googling suggests that whether or not it is free for commercial use is unclear.

I would strongly recommend using fonts that are available directly from their creator as explicitly free for commercial use: or, if you have the budget, go ahead and actually license a non-free font. Note that US copyright law is confusing when it comes to fonts... I'm not an expert but my understanding is that while the actual glyphs themselves can't be copyrighted, the machine code that produces them can: this means there are "free" copycat fonts that look identical to not-free fonts. But from the perspective of someone who wants to respect intellectual property rights, I feel one should avoid making free use of a font whose creator does not wish to be freely used.

OK. As a technical writer, I'd encourage you to use an easily read serifed font for body text. Research shows that serifed fonts are the most readable when in block text formats, and you can see this with for example every major newspaper, any normal published novel, etc. Fancy fonts are find for headings as long as their readable; maximum readibility for heading and display type is achieved with a sans-serif font (which is why these are used for most street signage) but you can use a stylish font to add character and feeling to your content as long as it's reasonably readable.

Manga (and other comics generally) don't follow these rules, but that's because the chunks of text in them tend to be quite short: dialogue in a speech bubble or sometimes a caption block on the page usually only contains a few dozen words at most. Copying a hand-lettered style from a comic strip and using it for blocks of text in an RPG resource book is a bad idea. Your plan to only use it for the TOC etc. is probably fine, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

There's no reason you would need to put cheese on your pasta. But, you know, some people like cheese.

I love playing sports, but sports movies are generally poo poo. I want to run plays and choose defensive packages, not reenact Water Boy.

Here, I've fixed your bad analogy:

There's no reason you would need to put pasta on your pizza. You can if you want, but putting pasta on your pizza will just lead to something worse than having pizza or pasta. If you want pasta, have pasta. If you're making pizza, make pizza; don't randomly put pasta on it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

Consequently, it is not "trivial" to properly word a license that lets someone make derivative works without allowing direct copies: in fact, that happens all the time, and all of the creative commons licenses on this page that do not contain the words "NoDerivs" do exactly that! None of the Creative Commons licenses cause the copyright holder to lose their copyright: they are all licenses, that is, permission granted for others to use the work in some way, and only the NoDerivs ones forbid others from creating derivative works.

Distribution is thus completely separate from creation of derivative works, and a license granting free distribution does not, on its own, create a defacto license to modify. The CreativeCommons "NoDerivs" license do exactly that: they grant permission to freely copy and distribute, while preventing someone from (legally) making modifications to the work (although of course no license can remove people's rights to fair use, which can include limited copying and modification for specific, protected purposes).

Yeah, but Covok wants the exact opposite; not NoDerivs, but DerivsOnly.

I've been around the block with open licensing, my guy. I know my GPL from my BSD. My example was an extreme example for example's sake, but it is indeed possible. Perhaps simply changing a single word wouldn't be enough (though check out Moby Vulva for an amusing derivative work), but reprinting verbatim while adding a short chapter of house rules would almost certainly qualify.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Whizbang is Free only for noncommercial use. Segoe UI is a microsoft font and some quick googling suggests that whether or not it is free for commercial use is unclear.

I would strongly recommend using fonts that are available directly from their creator as explicitly free for commercial use: or, if you have the budget, go ahead and actually license a non-free font. Note that US copyright law is confusing when it comes to fonts... I'm not an expert but my understanding is that while the actual glyphs themselves can't be copyrighted, the machine code that produces them can: this means there are "free" copycat fonts that look identical to not-free fonts. But from the perspective of someone who wants to respect intellectual property rights, I feel one should avoid making free use of a font whose creator does not wish to be freely used.

OK. As a technical writer, I'd encourage you to use an easily read serifed font for body text. Research shows that serifed fonts are the most readable when in block text formats, and you can see this with for example every major newspaper, any normal published novel, etc. Fancy fonts are find for headings as long as their readable; maximum readibility for heading and display type is achieved with a sans-serif font (which is why these are used for most street signage) but you can use a stylish font to add character and feeling to your content as long as it's reasonably readable.

Manga (and other comics generally) don't follow these rules, but that's because the chunks of text in them tend to be quite short: dialogue in a speech bubble or sometimes a caption block on the page usually only contains a few dozen words at most. Copying a hand-lettered style from a comic strip and using it for blocks of text in an RPG resource book is a bad idea. Your plan to only use it for the TOC etc. is probably fine, though.

WELP

At least the font I'm using for the logo is free for any use.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Covok posted:

Picking fonts is half bumbling into something that looks good and half dark magics, but like leperflesh said you should be cognizant for their reuse rights. Microsoft bundled fonts are really bad for this, but all of the Adobe TypeKit fonts are for reuse (some are digital only, some are print ok, so still check them). If you bought a creative cloud subscription, you have it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no reason you would need to put pasta on your pizza. You can if you want, but putting pasta on your pizza will just lead to something worse than having pizza or pasta. If you want pasta, have pasta. If you're making pizza, make pizza; don't randomly put pasta on it.

Funny story, my brother ordered a mac-and-cheese pizza a few days ago and loved it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Funny story, my brother ordered a mac-and-cheese pizza a few days ago and loved it.
My kids love it.

I think it's disgusting. I have no idea why you'd put squishy mac and cheese on top of a pizza crust.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

My kids love it.

I think it's disgusting. I have no idea why you'd put squishy mac and cheese on top of a pizza crust.

They're like six years old, dude. Their favorite foods are almost guaranteed to be junkfood due to how their tastebuds respond more positively to sweet things. That changes with time to a preference (or atleast tolerance) to bitter foods. There like a whole evolutionary theory on that one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

People just like cheese and starch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is stupid.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My brother and parents are well past childhood and loved that poo poo.

Personally, I think it's gross as gently caress but I'm just saying, people like it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you're making an RPG, make the kind I specifically like, hopefully that focuses on Genre Emulation, otherwise you're making something disgusting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

By pasta I mean just plain boiled pasta, no sauce allowed if you're putting it on top of your pizza. Yes, I will generously interpret the -and-cheese as a sauce.

The point being that trying to cram detailed wargaming for the actual match mechanics plus detailed rules for roleplaying the drama is going to lead to a much worse game than if you made either an RPG about the drama or a wargame about playing the matches.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Buddy, if you think we're not going to dig into your analogy while ignoring your actual point, I have bad news for you and your views on pastza.

Covok
May 27, 2013

JackMann posted:

Buddy, if you think we're not going to dig into your analogy while ignoring your actual point, I have bad news for you and your views on pastza.

Everyone knows the best topping on pizza is grilled chicken, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, but Covok wants the exact opposite; not NoDerivs, but DerivsOnly.

I've been around the block with open licensing, my guy. I know my GPL from my BSD. My example was an extreme example for example's sake, but it is indeed possible. Perhaps simply changing a single word wouldn't be enough (though check out Moby Vulva for an amusing derivative work), but reprinting verbatim while adding a short chapter of house rules would almost certainly qualify.

Actually what Covok wants is:

Covok posted:

What is the right Creative Commons license for "don't steal my book but you can make perphieals for it because lol I don't care"? Or, could I literally just saw that in the inside cover: "The author, My Name Here, gives explicit permission to any purchasers of this book to produce third party accessories to this game as long as the game and My Name Here is attributed"?

Third party accessories are not (necessarily) derivative works. Bearing in mind that actual game mechanics are uncopyrightable, Covok essentially cannot restrict others from publishing third-party supplements to his game: all he can do in that regard is restrict use of his copyrighted material (the images and prose of his book) and any trademark he sells it under (if he trademarks the name of his game, a third party cannot sell their content using his trademark in such a way as to create confusion as to who has created and is selling the work).

And I'll reiterate that what you stated was simply false: granting permission to create derivative works is not on its own a de facto grant of permission to reproduce or distribute the original work in its entirety and without substantial revision.

RE: Moby Vulva, the original work - Moby Dick - was published in 1851. Melville died in 1891: it has been over 70 years since his death, so Moby Dick is in the public domain. The same is true of the recent "pride and prejudice and zombes" type stuff: Jane Austin died in 1817. You could totally replace just one word (or no words) in a public domain work and then reproduce and redistribute it to your heart's content, because those works no longer have any copyright restriction.

And I wanna address this: "reprinting verbatim while adding a short chapter of house rules would almost certainly qualify." Yes, it would qualify as a derivative work: but the new copyright would only pertain to the additions or changes. This would mean distribution of that derivative work would still violate the distribution aspect of a copyright, unless it was released. Essentially such a license would require someone making a derivative work to significantly modify all of the content they reproduced... which could make sense. That said:

Essentially, what Covok seems to want is to permit others to create supplements, but not to re-use the actual copyrighted content of his publication. To do that, he need do nothing more than use a normal copyright statement, and then create a trademark for his game, and license that trademark freely. He can also explicitly state a desire to support third party supplements, and if there is some portion of his copyrightable work that he wants to be reprintable, he could section that out and explicitly grant a license for reuse to that portion. We can see this exact strategy in play for the infamous D20 license.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 13, 2017

• Locked thread